Start by marking “Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics” as Want to Read:
Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics

Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  106 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This book is fantastic and accessible to students. Datasets on the website are extremely helpful. " Lauren Miizock, "Emmanuel"" College"""Salkind's book has been (still is) an extraordinary part of the process of Statistical learning in my courses since 2004."" Jose R. Rivera, "International American University of Puerto Rico"""Another great teaching tool from an author wh ...more
Published August 28th 2007 by Sage Publications (CA) (first published April 11th 2000)

Be the first to ask a question about Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics

Lisa J.olsen
I think the only people who really think statistics in more than OK, is either a math teacher or a mathematician.
Alec Shipley
Read parts for my directed reading. Much more confusing than the writer makes it out to be. Only read 6 assigned chapters.
John Rivera
Nice reference book for SPSS but not very useful after that. It does summarize a lot of basic statistical tools but does not replace an elementary course level course in statistics and a good text book. If you're not a mathematically gifted person, but you've taken a 101 statistics course (and don't intend on taking more) this is a nice book to have if you have to periodically return to the material for a refresher or to make a quick reference when using statistically software.
Rob
Mar 26, 2012 Rob rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: grad-school
I give the author credit for trying to give the book some personality for graduate students who want nothing to do with math or statistical applications whatsoever.

However, there are a little less then 20 errors in the book that we were notified of and had to correct by hand. Additionally there were errors in the on-line companion component of the book. If I am paying for a brand new book I expect the bugs to be worked out. Very unprofessional.
Scott Whitney
It was not bad for the semester, but I think he oversimplified different aspects of the functions we were preforming which made the math harder and not easier. I found this book, the instructor's lectures and a fare amount of work with wikipedia made for a good semester. I would have hated to try the semester with this book and neither of the other two.
Hussain
Sep 25, 2014 Hussain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hussain by: Dr. Rita Green
I used this book to review my statistics knowledge as a non-specialist in neither math nor statistics. The book served as a great review for me coming from a social science background. The book did not bother with assumptions which were briefly mentioned at the end when it was time to talk about non-parametric tests.
Tiffany
Jun 09, 2013 Tiffany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE best intro to stats book I have read in the past 2 years. Clear descriptions and explanations using many examples. Basic concepts repeated throughout each chapter so there isn't need to flip back and forth to review a concept and its application. I will keep this book forever and ever. Amen.
Jessica
Oct 08, 2012 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent and far more clear than any other statistics books I've had for any other class. At times I felt like it was dumbing it down too much but in retrospect that's precisely what was so useful about it and I likely on felt that way because I already had much of the fundamentals down.
Sarah Evans
Feb 16, 2012 Sarah Evans rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't hate statistics, I just wanted a review of basic stats concepts. And this did a nice job. It's definitely a simply reference that will be handy to have around, even if the boys deal with statistics later on.
Carolynne
The author tried so hard to 'dumb down' the material that it was difficult to follow. I found myself having to turn to other sources to gain understanding of key principles.
Janet Ferguson
Apr 16, 2012 Janet Ferguson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent -- and entertaining -- book, if you need to understand basic statistics. VERY well written and interspersed with great examples.
Ali Crain
Mar 09, 2014 Ali Crain rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: eloc
For grad school - didn't have to read the entire book - read what I had to. And this is why I'm not a statistician
Kimberly
Apr 06, 2011 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Shelves: shu
I guess if you have to read this, it's easy to follow and makes it applicable. I appreciate the attempts at humor.
Sorenconard
Decent attempt to explain stats and it would have worked if it wasn't for the countless erorrs in the book. Stay away!
Tiffanie
Jun 28, 2015 Tiffanie rated it it was ok
Hallelujah, I'm dome with this freaking book! I hope I never have to refer back to it after this semester ends...
Krista
Jul 15, 2013 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Extremely helpful as a resource when the professor may not be clear enough.
Matthew
Mar 11, 2015 Matthew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Required reading for a class I am taking. Statistics isn't my thing.
Lindsay
Jul 10, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great title
Hayley Garcia Ashby
Hayley Garcia Ashby is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Susan
Susan is currently reading it
Jan 23, 2016
Austin Miller
Austin Miller is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2016
Woodson H. Farrar
Woodson H. Farrar rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
lisa mchale
lisa mchale rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Jill Stoddart
Jill Stoddart marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
thepaintedman
thepaintedman rated it did not like it
Jan 08, 2016
Kyle Mincey
Kyle Mincey rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Jennifer Auxier
Jennifer Auxier rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
Stacey Miller
Stacey Miller rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2015