Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics

Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  15 reviews
This book is fantastic and accessible to students. Datasets on the website are extremely helpful. " Lauren Miizock, "Emmanuel"" College"""Salkind's book has been (still is) an extraordinary part of the process of Statistical learning in my courses since 2004."" Jose R. Rivera, "International American University of Puerto Rico"""Another great teaching tool from an author wh...more
Published August 6th 2007 by Sage Publications (CA) (first published April 11th 2000)

Be the first to ask a question about Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics

Lisa J.olsen
I think the only people who really think statistics in more than OK, is either a math teacher or a mathematician.
John Rivera
Nice reference book for SPSS but not very useful after that. It does summarize a lot of basic statistical tools but does not replace an elementary course level course in statistics and a good text book. If you're not a mathematically gifted person, but you've taken a 101 statistics course (and don't intend on taking more) this is a nice book to have if you have to periodically return to the material for a refresher or to make a quick reference when using statistically software.
Rob
I give the author credit for trying to give the book some personality for graduate students who want nothing to do with math or statistical applications whatsoever.

However, there are a little less then 20 errors in the book that we were notified of and had to correct by hand. Additionally there were errors in the on-line companion component of the book. If I am paying for a brand new book I expect the bugs to be worked out. Very unprofessional.
Scott Whitney
It was not bad for the semester, but I think he oversimplified different aspects of the functions we were preforming which made the math harder and not easier. I found this book, the instructor's lectures and a fare amount of work with wikipedia made for a good semester. I would have hated to try the semester with this book and neither of the other two.
Tiffany
THE best intro to stats book I have read in the past 2 years. Clear descriptions and explanations using many examples. Basic concepts repeated throughout each chapter so there isn't need to flip back and forth to review a concept and its application. I will keep this book forever and ever. Amen.
Jessica
Excellent and far more clear than any other statistics books I've had for any other class. At times I felt like it was dumbing it down too much but in retrospect that's precisely what was so useful about it and I likely on felt that way because I already had much of the fundamentals down.
Sarah Evans
I don't hate statistics, I just wanted a review of basic stats concepts. And this did a nice job. It's definitely a simply reference that will be handy to have around, even if the boys deal with statistics later on.
Carolynne
The author tried so hard to 'dumb down' the material that it was difficult to follow. I found myself having to turn to other sources to gain understanding of key principles.
Janet Ferguson
Excellent -- and entertaining -- book, if you need to understand basic statistics. VERY well written and interspersed with great examples.
Ali Crain
For grad school - didn't have to read the entire book - read what I had to. And this is why I'm not a statistician
Kimberly
I guess if you have to read this, it's easy to follow and makes it applicable. I appreciate the attempts at humor.
Sorenconard
Decent attempt to explain stats and it would have worked if it wasn't for the countless erorrs in the book. Stay away!
Tiffanie
Hallelujah, I'm dome with this freaking book! I hope I never have to refer back to it after this semester ends...
Krista
Extremely helpful as a resource when the professor may not be clear enough.
Lauren Cook
Lauren Cook is currently reading it
Aug 06, 2014
Virginia Baccellia
Virginia Baccellia marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Dwight
Dwight marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Hussain
Hussain marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Eric Wozniak
Eric Wozniak marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Na
Na added it
Jun 27, 2014
Ehsan Aghdasi
Ehsan Aghdasi marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics Exploring Research Tests & Measurement for People Who (Think They) Hate Tests & Measurement An Introduction to Theories of Human Development Theories of Human Development