Start by marking “The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration of Buffy, Angel, and Firefly” as Want to Read:
Preview

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  190 ratings  ·  15 reviews
First there was OC Buffy the Vampire SlayerOCO; then its spin-off OC AngelOCO; then the cult hit OC FireflyOCO; and its follow-up film, OC Serenity.OCO They all had two things in common: their creator, Joss Whedon OC and their surprising psychological depth.
Revisit the worlds of Joss Whedon OC with trained psychologists at your side. What are the psychological effects of
Published December 1st 2007 by Smart Pop (first published November 10th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Psychology of Joss Whedon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Psychology of Joss Whedon

Nico Our Lady of the Sacred Bonechuck
zis book could also be called "Affirmations of Whedon's Awesomeness"
Jessica
I love these collections that look at my favorite TV shows from different perspectives. I first started with some philosophy books related to Buffy and Angel, and even though I hate philosophy, I really enjoyed them. When I found out that there was a book of essays written from the psychological perspective, I was very excited. I have a degree in psychology! I am fascinated by psychology! Marry that with my favorite shows, and oh man, how can you go wrong?

This collection did not disappoint. Whil
Ellie
The Psychology of Joss Whedon: An Unauthorized Exploration by Joy Davidson is my idea of a perfect read-like a day at the beach, unlimited Godiva chocolates & a paid-for-by-somebody-else shoe shopping spree all rolled into one. Intelligent writing on a beloved subject handled just well enough to keep my mind active without forcing it to work too terribly hard. Too easy=bored, too hard=frustrated;
this book=just right.

Although some essays were better than others, every one was worth the read.
Not gonna lie, I'm a Joss Whedon fangirl. I think he's a genius. On his worst day, his work is just fantastic as opposed to mindblowing. When The Psychology of Joss Whedon came across my radar, I was incredibly excited to read it. I have a large interest in psychology and the idea of delving into Joss's mind on that level, seeing what makes him tick, makes me more than a little giddy.

First, a warning: Do not read this book if you haven't watched Buffy, Angel, Firefly and Serenity. Spoilers galor
Marsha
Joss Whedon’s prolific imagination took off with his notion of a petite blond that kicked butt. Strong women aren’t new to fiction; lots of people from Marion Zimmer Bradley to Rob Tapert have had a go at crafting tough ladies who took no guff from anyone. But few have created shows with so many layered meanings behind them, shows that spawned endless groups, panels, conversations and arguments among fans and the literati alike. This book draws together many erudite minds to discuss the various ...more
Derek
I liked this book and would probably recommend it to other Joss Whedon fans. However, some of the analysis seemed a bit contrived and weakly formulated. But that really doesn't matter too much since the essays in this book are really written for the fun of it, rather than to exhaustive psychoanalysis of the Jossverse. Anyway, I had a good time with it and if you are a fan of Buffy/Angel/Firefly, then you probably will too.
Phredric
A very variable collection of essays on the Buffy, Angel and Firefly verses. Some interesting stuff but a most seem to be rambling and somewhat confused. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale" is a much better book if you’re interested in this kind of analysis, which I am, and it was fun to read into the bargain.
Stephen
A little Buffycentric (I'm more of a Angel/Firefly fan) but a fun and engaging series of articles. The authors as a group show an admirable willingess to mix some humour into their generally serious and well thought out writings about various aspects of the Whedonverse.
Lani
Meh. I guess what I want is friendly deep conversation about Whedon's shows, not annoying psych evals. I'm a psych nerd and I found a lot of this pretty boring. There were, like in any essay collection, a few highlights that I enjoyed, but much of it was VERY dry.
Shelley
If you've watched Buffy or Angel or Firefly, you need to read this book! The essays are all interesting and thought-provoking. Made me wish there were more of his shows out there to enjoy!
Steven
At times interesting, and plodding at others. Mix of good and tepid essays psychologically looking at Whedon, his work, and his characters. Very uneven reading, in my experience.
Eilis O'Neal
A great book for lovers of Buffy, Angel, and Firefly. Interesting, insightful essays on the show (and no you don't need a psychology degree to get them!).
Alana
The level of psychology in this book is very much 101, but it's a fun read for Joss fans.
Sharron
Sep 06, 2008 Sharron marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I love Joss Whedon's work. Buffy, Angel and Firefly are missed but their is always DVD.
Michael
the best essay was the last, by Joy Davidson
Sarah Levine
Sarah Levine marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2015
Bonnie DaRienzo
Bonnie DaRienzo marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Tereza
Tereza marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Aj
Aj marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Mata
Mata marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Amy Schmidt
Amy Schmidt marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Jason Parker
Jason Parker marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Sarah Walker
Sarah Walker marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney Appelbaum
Sydney Appelbaum is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Aliza
Aliza added it
Mar 18, 2015
Joel Gordon
Joel Gordon marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2015
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • Serenity Found: More Unauthorized Essays on Joss Whedon's Firefly Universe
  • Fighting the Forces: What's at Stake in Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Sex and the Slayer: A Gender Studies Primer for the Buffy Fan
  • Existential Joss Whedon: Evil And Human Freedom in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly And Serenity
  • Reading Angel: The TV Spin-off with a Soul
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Reading the Vampire Slayer: The Complete, Unofficial Guide to 'Buffy' and 'Angel'
  • Buffy Goes Dark: Essays on the Final Two Seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on Television
  • Undead TV: Essays on Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • What Would Buffy Do? The Vampire Slayer as Spiritual Guide
  • Joss Whedon: The Complete Companion: The TV Series, the Movies, the Comic Books and More: The Essential Guide to the Whedonverse
  • Joss Whedon: The Genius Behind Buffy
  • Whedonistas!: A Celebration of the Worlds of Joss Whedon by the Women Who Love Them
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Philosophy: Fear and Trembling in Sunnydale
  • Bite Me!: An Unofficial Guide to the World of Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Neptune Noir: Unauthorized Investigations into Veronica Mars
  • Firefly: The Official Companion Volume One (Firefly the Official Companion #1)
How to Be a Babe Fearless Sex: A Babe's Guide to Overcoming Your Romantic Obsessions and Getting the Sex Life You Deserve Another Mountain, Another View Agony Of It All C The Soap Opera Syndrome