Start by marking “The Little Minister” as Want to Read:
The Little Minister

The Little Minister

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Little Minister is set in Thrums, a Scottish weaving village based on Barrie’s birthplace, and concerns Gavin Dishart, a young impoverished minister with his first congregation. The weavers he serves soon riot in protest against reductions in their wages and harsh working conditions.
Published November 3rd 2006 by Hard Press (first published January 1st 1891)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Minister, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Minister

Joan
This book was my favorite book for a while (before I read Tale of Two Cities). I don't know why I liked it so much, because it was a normal, old-fashioned romance, and I have probably read several dozen of those. But much of it was funny, and the story moved quickly but was deep enough to be enjoyable and not feel mindless. Revolving around a young Scottish minister who is sensitive about his height, or lack thereof, and around a mysterious gypsy girl who keeps stirring up trouble for the little ...more
Sara
I was craving a children's book with grown-up characters and this pretty much fit the bill. My least favorite parts were the three continuously soggy chapters after the flood and the narrator dominie's lack of sympathy for animals. It was uncomfortable to have characters randomly stepping over dead birds and chasing off dogs... especially the collie named Snap (collies will be forever flawless in my mind). The little 21 year old minister was an interesting character, though J.M. Barrie might hav ...more
Yofish
I read this because I saw the Katherine Hepburn movie.

It was a pleasant read, though a bit difficult getting through the Scottish dialect/language parts.

I actually don't remember how the movie resolved itself, but the book felt different, and definitely better. The characters felt less like caricatures. (Which is not to say that they were any less so, it just felt that way.)

We have the new, very young, minister in town, with his doting mother. And we have the wild "Egyptian", and it's always
Charlie Parry
Perhaps better known for a little story he wrote called Peter Pan, JM Barrie also penned this humorous tale about a young man who aimed to take his corner of the world by storm, but then fell in love.

Gavin Dishart is only 1 and twenty, and already is the minister of a 'kirk' in a small town, where he is idolized by nearly one and all. Kirk - you ask? Turns out that's "church" in Scottish brogue, which is simultaneously one of the most hilarious and also the most frustrating parts of this read.
Ruth
This is by the same James Barrie who is beloved for writing Peter Pan. In this quaint and old-fashioned story of the little minister (who is both young and slight of frame, and is sensitive about his height), one gets to know the small Scottish weaving village of Thrums and its inhabitants, chief among them Gavin Dishart and his shy mother who move to Thrums for his appointment as the new minister. The story that follows is almost naive in its simplicity, but so deep and rich in character develo ...more
Amanda
Aug 28, 2008 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Amanda by: I saw the movie starring Katharine Hepburn and I liked it alot
Babs M
Good but a little difficult to follow due to the fact that much of the text was Scottish dialect among the characters although the narration was in normal language. It is the first book that I ever read with Babbie as a character which pleases me since that has been my nickname since I was born. Worth reading I just suggest brushing up on your Scottish Gaelic.
Jenny
I love this little book. It's so simple but extremely charming. The ending is suspenseful and action-packed, and even though the beginning is slower, it's worth it. The characters are fun to get to know, and by the end, I felt like I was another villager from Thrums who knew everybody and and everybody's business. Barrie's writing is engaging and fun. Peter Pan is one of my favorite books, and now so is this lovely book. The first-person narrator is flawed but admits his flaws and so seems perfe ...more
Monica
This book was an entertaining read but not at all what I initially expected from the author of "Peter Pan". This book does not have the fantasy elements that Barrie encorporated in to "Peter Pan" but the humor remains. The book was engaging and had it all; action, romance and humor. Getting use to the dialect was also a source of entertainment for me for when it is read outloud it can sound quite humorous. I do not know that I would recommend this for the YA audience that my local library has it ...more
Dave
Wonderful love story by the author of Peter Pan.
Lucy
This book teeters on the edge of mawkishness throughout, but the strong characterisation and plot twists save it. The climax is truly thrilling and genuinely moving. Don't be put off by the dialect - read it quickly and the sense will be clear, it adds hugely to the sense of place which helps to make this so absorbing. It might help though if you Google 'Auld Licht' and UP before you begin unless you are already an expert in the history of Scottish non-conformism.
This was a slow narrative, full of tough-to-decipher vernacular, but the plot was engaging in spite of all.
Nicole G.
It's really quite a simple love story at its heart, but its charming way of telling it really draws you in. It does take a little bit to get into the rhythm of the Scottish dialogue, but once you "hear" it, it just flows on.
Mary Beth
The first page of this book is absolutely DELICIOUS. However, the rest of it is a bit on the boring side... it drags. It did have a certain cuteness to it though, which was enough to keep me reading. It's a relaxing book.
Sarah D
One of the wittiest most endearing novels I have ever read! Babbie is an unimaginable pleasure. I all but ate up her words. One of very few stories who has a likeable heroine.
Doris
All the time I was reading this book I loathed the key character. He puts me in mind of many public personas today - I didn't inhale and I don't remember having sex...
Lauralee
Dec 19, 2007 Lauralee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Bekah!
One of my favorite classic books. Written by the same author as 'Peter Pan'. This is funny, serious, and has great characters. Bekah, you will love the heroine!
Kristen Landon
The style is just too old-fashioned for me. There actually is an interesting story in there, burried in page after page of boring detail and tangents.
Nicole
I started this twice before losing interest. I'll come back to it again. I think I just had too many other books I really want to read.
Brittany
I didn't even get past page 100 - it was so difficult to read the language and follow the story line. Not fun at all :-(
Rebecca
Quite enchanting, except for those portions where it was merely gripping.
Melina Macias
Melina Macias marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Rin Album
Rin Album marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Emma
Emma marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Kiri
Kiri marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2015
Emily Grace
Emily Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
  • Penrod and Sam
  • The Newcomes
  • The Wide, Wide World
  • David Balfour: Being Memoirs of the Further Adventures of David Balfour at Home and Abroad (David Balfour, #2)
  • That Printer of Udell's
  • Love Talk: Speak Each Other's Language Like You Never Have Before
  • The Treasure Tree
  • Can You Hear Me?: Tuning in to the God Who Speaks
  • The Anxiety Cure
Sir James Matthew Barrie, 1st Baronet, OM (9 May 1860 – 19 June 1937) was a Scottish author and dramatist, best remembered today as the creator of Peter Pan.

The child of a family of small-town weavers, he was educated in Scotland. He moved to London, where he developed a career as a novelist and playwright. There he met the Llewelyn Davies boys who inspired him in writing about a baby boy who has
More about J.M. Barrie...
Peter Pan Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens and Peter and Wendy Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens The Annotated Peter Pan The Little White Bird

“Let no one who loves be called altogether unhappy. Even love unreturned has its rainbow.” 813 likes
“Life is a long lesson in humility.” 273 likes