Start by marking “French Toast: An American in Paris Celebrates the Maddening Mysteries of the French” as Want to Read:

Peter Mayle may have spent a year in Provence, but Harriet Welty Rochefort writes from the wise perspective of one who has spent more than twenty years living among the French. From a small town in Iowa to the City of Light, Harriet has done what so many of dream of one day doing-she picked up and moved to France. But it has not been twenty years of fun and games; Harriet ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published November 15th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about French Toast, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about French Toast

Kassandra
Sep 28, 2015 Kassandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
A very cute book, but as an American woman engaged to a French man, I would honestly have to say a good portion of this might have been exaggerated at times. Not ALL French people are like this. It would be like saying all Americans are cowboys or that we are all like people from New York City. Overall, a cute story, but don't let it convince you that all French people are like this.
Natali
Jan 28, 2011 Natali rated it really liked it
Reading this book is like sitting down with a friend and asking her what she thinks of living in France as an American. It is highly anecdotal. It isn't ground-breaking literature but it is a fun cultural observation from a very pleasant woman.
Dana
Sep 26, 2013 Dana rated it really liked it
"French Toast" was the perfect book to enjoy while sipping coffee and eating a pastry at a French cafe while I waited for repairs to be made on my car. American Harriet Rochefort recounted her experience with French culture during the last twenty years of being married to a Frenchman. Each chapter explained a different aspect of the French, making this book easy to enjoy in multiple sittings. Harriet not only discussed some of the details of the French culture, but provided many personal stories ...more
Laurence
Jul 26, 2011 Laurence rated it did not like it
I am a french woman married to an american. I took the book at the library thinking It could be interesting...After reading all about , she defitiely should have stayed in IOWA. She despike french people and generalize her very rude and "grossier" heavy husband to be a french model type! NO WAY! And it seems that the friends are the same. She does an knock down to french because of her choices to marry this man...What a shame!
I am never angry at a book...but this one is a revenge and bitterness
Ron Chicaferro
Mar 12, 2012 Ron Chicaferro rated it liked it
French Toast by Harriet Welty Rochefort is a cute book and the story of her living in France for twenty years as the American wife of a Frenchman. The editing could have been better. Her comments and anecdotes come off as random thoughts made over a long period of time. Without a good reviewer some of the comments contradict - but not often. Her writing is simple and comes from the heart of someone who grew up in America's Midwest. It's an entertaining book with some facts about being an ex-pat ...more
Bookworm
May 21, 2013 Bookworm rated it liked it
An interesting read about an American woman and her life in France. Rochefort is a journalism professor and has raised two sons in France while married to a Frenchman. She talks about the differences and her observations about living in France and how she had to adjust (beyond learning the language).

I enjoyed the book overall, although noting of course that this woman was an American by birth and had her own set of ideas about things. It was an enjoyable read and those who love France would prob
Anna Cooper
Jun 13, 2013 Anna Cooper rated it it was ok
Informative, and a little entertaining, but her following book (Joie de Vivre) is much better in writing, story line, and "tips." Again, it's a book that you can read weather you live in Paris or not, just to learn more about the difference between the French and American culture. I think I was a bit young for her target audience, so that is what made the misconnection with me.
David Gray
Jun 19, 2011 David Gray rated it it was amazing
I read this in preparation for a trip to Paris and while it may not have made a substantial difference to my trip, it was a fascinating read, especially if you have fantasized about the ex-pat life. The book is accessible and does an admirable job of explaining how we are similar to the French and how we differ.
Nancy H
Jan 06, 2013 Nancy H rated it liked it
I am very interested in French culture and traveling/living in France, since I have visited there many times, but I was a bit disappointed in this book. It made some very good points, but there were parts that I thought rambled a bit. Overall, though, it was interesting to see the point of view from a woman who married a Frenchman and who has raised a family in Paris.
Christine
Mar 14, 2012 Christine rated it it was ok
Interesting take on life in France, but so entirely anecdotal I didn't take away much. Other than a great deal of relief at not being married to the author's husband. What's French for Chauvanist? ;-)
Patricia
Nov 08, 2011 Patricia rated it liked it
Quick read, very anecdotal. Nothing earth shattering, but she had some similar interesting observations about Parisians that I have read from other authors both male and female.
Jul 05, 2011 Jennifer rated it it was ok
this was a light, quick read. at times it's a bit repetetive... if there is one thing i took away from this book, it's BE QUIET when you are in Paris!
Kl
Feb 13, 2011 Kl rated it really liked it
Shelves: europe-trip
I really enjoyed this book. A whole new perspective on the lovely people of France, especially the Parisians!!
Chris Pimlott
Jan 03, 2012 Chris Pimlott rated it it was ok
This is quite a light book; it's more akin to reading a series of blog posts. There are some amusing anecdotes, just don't expect any rigorous analysis or deep insights.
Erin Wallace
Jan 01, 2013 Erin Wallace rated it it was ok
Not entirely well written; feels more like a jumble of observations. Even so, is to the point and mirrors what I have read in other "American in Paris" type books.
Kayse
Aug 05, 2012 Kayse rated it really liked it
Makes me wish I was in France visiting. I do love her husbands responses. Easy read and has some funny parts.
Karyn
Karyn rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2013
Tracey
Oct 16, 2011 Tracey rated it did not like it
How did this get published???
Allison Traxler
Allison Traxler rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2014
Sherry
Sherry rated it really liked it
Mar 13, 2011
Jennifer rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2012
Darby
Darby rated it liked it
May 09, 2011
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2012
Tina
Tina rated it did not like it
Jun 21, 2011
Caroline
Caroline rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2011
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
May 04, 2012
Melki
Melki rated it liked it
May 16, 2011
Tracy
Tracy rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2011
Narayan
Narayan rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2011
Suzette
Suzette rated it it was ok
Jan 28, 2014