Start by marking “Justice Society, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Justice Society, Vol. 1

Justice Society, Vol. 1 (Justice Society)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Written by Paul Levitz and Gerry Conway Art by Wallace Wood, Joe Staton, Ric Estrada, Keith Giffen and Bob LaytonCover by Brian Bolland Collecting ALL-STAR COMICS #58-67, plus the origin of the JSA from DC SPECIAL #29! Witness the continuing adventures of The Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkman, Dr. Fate, Wildcat and the rest as they are joined by younger heroes Robin, Power Gir ...more
Published August 2nd 2006 by DC Comics (first published August 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Justice Society, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Justice Society, Vol. 1

Lionel
Oct 11, 2009 Lionel rated it it was ok
This is the first half of the JSA's '70s revival, plus the "Untold Origin" from DC Super-Stars or somewhere. The latter story, by Levitz & Staton, would probably rate a solid three stars by itself. Maybe even three and a half. It's a fairly solid done-in-one superhero story, with bonus nostalgia points for being Earth-Two and JSA.

The book strips out all the individual story credits in favor of a block credit at the front of the book, which doesn't break down which creator worked on which sto
Zack! Empire
Oct 18, 2013 Zack! Empire rated it liked it
Shelves: dc-comics
I heard someone talking about this collection on a podcast, and I've liked other work they have mentioned, so I thought I'd check it out. Through a bit of good fortune, I was able to read it for free, because they actually had it at the local library! I think that is the first time I've heard mention of a comic, and was then able to get it at my library!
Any way, what did I think of the book itself? it was somewhat up and down book for me. I didn't hate it, but I didn't really like it. Many of th
Karl Kindt
Apr 06, 2008 Karl Kindt rated it really liked it
Some great classic super hero action, but even more than that. This is really the first post-modern super hero tale, as the old guard starts to question and is overtaken by the old guard. I can picture Alan Moore reading this and getting inspired with ideas for WATCHMEN. No--really, I am serious! Listen to this excerpt.

HOURMAN: I only wish all men could live so nobly...and die in as good a cause.
DR. MIDNITE: There are no good deaths, Hourman...no good causes in which to die. In the end, there's
The other John
Feb 26, 2008 The other John rated it it was ok
Shelves: braincandy, sf, fantasy, comics
I've stopped reviewing comic reprint collections that I've borrowed from the library, but I think I'll make an exception with this one. The writing is somewhat awful, but I'd like to buy it someday.... Perhaps I should explain. I've been a fan of comic books on and off since childhood. Back in the eighties, when I was in an "on" period, I had a serious collector's mentality. No, not the type that would move me to buy a comic book, seal it in plastic, and monitor the Tokyo Comics Exchange for jus ...more
Mark
May 23, 2015 Mark rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
Interesting to see DC's revival of the Justice Society in the mid-70s, when the JSA and JLA still belonged to different earths. But it's a little too corny and unsophisticated for it's own good, even for the time it was made.
Clinton Robison
Mar 24, 2011 Clinton Robison rated it really liked it
If you love the JSA then you will love this trade. Granted, you have to love the CLASSIC characters, but I do so it was fun. If you are familiar enough with the characters you will probably do like I did and start noticing very quickly that many of them do not act like you remember. There is a reason for it, so don't worry. You'll just need to get volume 2 to see how it all turns out.

Over all this is a fun read. It's always nice to see Earth-2 again. Golden Age heroes, while sometimes quite rid
Fizzgig76
Reprints All-Star Comics #58-67 and DC Special #29. The Justice Society is back and bringing new members. The original super hero team of the Justice Society got a big relaunch, but never really latched on. This series introduced Power Girl who acted as the Superman of Earth-2's cousin (as opposed to Supergirl of Earth-1). It also brought in Star-Spangled Kid as a member. The series initially tried to kind of write out some of the original characters, but they just keep coming back (which is a g ...more
Travis
Oct 03, 2009 Travis rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-books, classics
A collection of classic JSA stories from the seventies, featuring the introduction of Power girl, the Huntress and grown up Robin.
Tries a little too hard to be angsty, like the X-men, but there's still enough cool super action, beautiful Wally Wood art and old school ideas to get you through the melodrama.

There's a time travel story and a multi-part story featuring the Injustice Society and some evil mole men.

Joshua
Feb 26, 2010 Joshua rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I love this collection, but mostly for nostalgic reasons. It's terribly overwritten and character conflict is exaggerated to the point of absurdity. Even Wally Wood's art is below his usual high quality. The art doesn't really get good until Joe Staton takes over the pencils. Still, I love the Justice Society and I love Earth-Two, so this collection holds a special place in my heart.
Timothy Boyd
Feb 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
Excellent adventures of the first superhero team. Very recommended
Kurt Rocourt
Jan 17, 2015 Kurt Rocourt rated it really liked it
Shelves: dc-tpb
That was a fun read. It tales off at the end but that's alright. The thing to remember is these stories were written in an era where campy dialogue was the norm in comics. It does come across as cheesy but that's only part of the charm.
Sven-marcus
Oct 07, 2012 Sven-marcus rated it really liked it
It was good, with a few quirks. I'll try to write a more detailed review later.
Jason Peters
Jason Peters rated it it was amazing
May 22, 2016
Buck
Buck rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2016
Macacoteste
Macacoteste marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Mike Troxell
Mike Troxell marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2016
David
David added it
Mar 13, 2016
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2016
Devin Bruce
Devin Bruce rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
James Hearn
James Hearn marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Adam
Adam marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Mike Collins
Mike Collins rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2016
Mangzilla
Mangzilla rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Patrick Doll
Patrick Doll rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2015
Eddie
Eddie rated it really liked it
Dec 11, 2015
Robert Wright
Robert Wright rated it liked it
Dec 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Justice Society (2 books)
  • Justice Society, Vol. 2