Start by marking “Spytime: The Undoing of James Jesus Angleton” as Want to Read:
Spytime: The Undoing of James Jesus Angleton

Spytime: The Undoing of James Jesus Angleton

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  102 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
James Jesus Angleton was an enigma, a secretive man whose power was at its peak during the height of the Cold War. Founder of U.S. counter-intelligence, hunter of moles and foes of America, his name has become synonymous with skulduggery and subterfuge. Angleton pursued his enemies, real and imagined, with a cool, calculating intelligence. Eventually convinced that there w ...more
Published June 11th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Spytime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spytime

Brian
Jun 25, 2014 Brian rated it liked it
Not as good as his Blackford Oakes series, but decent espionage fiction.
Stephen
Buckley gave an interesting view of Angelton. It's as if he were there ....if he could have been. I think some fore-knowledge of James Jesus Angleton is needed to really enjoy this fictionalized view of his story. Knowing that I found this an interesting shot at the Angleton story.
Todd
Jul 30, 2012 Todd rated it it was ok
I was pretty disappointed in this book. Angleton is such an interesting figure throughout the history of the CIA, but this book is pretty bland overall. Not much detail about his counter-intelligence efforts within the Agency other than a random conclusion on the last page that seems to come out of nowhere. The only part I remotely enjoyed was the brief story about Tony Crespi in Beirut - perhaps Buckley should've just written a novel about that character. If you're looking for a good CIA novel ...more
Rod
Apr 11, 2016 Rod rated it really liked it
Very good! It's based on a true story that is just at the edge of things like this that I remember. Makes me want research a bit. Like Bridge of Spies movie did.
Craig
Jul 20, 2008 Craig rated it liked it
Readable. Buckley's spy books never really blew my skirt up. But they're not terrible. This is a hagiography of Angleton. I'm undecided on that score, though I lean to the view that Angleton was a good man who meant well, in over his head, maybe. Buckley's conclusion is that Bill Colby was a KGB agent. If that spoils the book for you, tough shit, you should have read it when it came out 25 years ago.
Endre Barath
Apr 02, 2011 Endre Barath rated it really liked it
This was my first book by William F Buckley, Jr. knowing the history of Jesus Angleton of th CIA I thought this was more than just a Spy Novel it was a minute by minute account of what happened. If it did not happen this way, it should have. I have been a Fan of WFB,Jr. in high school when I used to stay up late to watch Firing Line....what an articulate man....I wish I had his vocabulary.
Donald Farinacci
Nov 21, 2014 Donald Farinacci rated it it was amazing
An intellectual spy novel: Interesting.
Brian Jones
Sep 03, 2008 Brian Jones rated it liked it
Shelves: own, fiction
I wish I enjoyed it more because many of the parts were excellent spy novel stuff, but the third (and longest) section seemed to go so far afield that the final (and shortest) section struggled to bring things back to the central character study. Really intriguing individual moments, though.
John
Feb 20, 2011 John rated it really liked it
I don't enjoy fiction, but I am hooked on Buckley's series of Blackford Oake's novels. "Spytime" is the last installment of the eleven-book series about a Cold War spy and his travails.
Steve
Jun 26, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it
I don't think I have ever read a Buckley novel that I did not like. For me this book was really interesting because many of the events were key battles in the Cold War.
Dexter
Dec 03, 2010 Dexter rated it really liked it
An entertaining read. I always enjoy Buckley's style.
Liz V.
Dec 17, 2013 Liz V. rated it liked it
Would prefer well written non-fiction.
J V
J V marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2016
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
KHS
KHS added it
Jan 20, 2016
Kay Thompson
Kay Thompson rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Kelsey O'Brien
Kelsey O'Brien marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2016
Yousry Moustafa
Yousry Moustafa marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it did not like it
Jan 04, 2016
Charlie Roberts
Charlie Roberts marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2015
Edward Mundt
Edward Mundt rated it it was ok
Dec 10, 2015
Boylerory
Boylerory marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
John B
John B rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2015
James
James marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
David Jordan
David Jordan rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Mark A.
Mark A. rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
William Frank Buckley, Jr. was an American author and conservative commentator. He founded the political magazine National Review in 1955, hosted 1,429 episodes of the television show Firing Line from 1966 until 1999, and was a nationally syndicated newspaper columnist. His writing style was famed for its erudition, wit, and use of uncommon words.

Buckley was "arguably the most important public int
More about William F. Buckley Jr....