Start by marking “Spytime: The Undoing of James Jesus Angleton” as Want to Read:
Spytime: The Undoing of James Jesus Angleton

Spytime: The Undoing of James Jesus Angleton

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  11 reviews
James Jesus Angleton was an enigma, a secretive man whose power was at its peak during the height of the Cold War. Founder of U.S. counter-intelligence, hunter of moles and foes of America, his name has become synonymous with skulduggery and subterfuge. Angleton pursued his enemies, real and imagined, with a cool, calculating intelligence. Eventually convinced that there w ...more
Published June 11th 2001 by Mariner Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Spytime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spytime

Brian
Not as good as his Blackford Oakes series, but decent espionage fiction.
Stephen
Buckley gave an interesting view of Angelton. It's as if he were there ....if he could have been. I think some fore-knowledge of James Jesus Angleton is needed to really enjoy this fictionalized view of his story. Knowing that I found this an interesting shot at the Angleton story.
Todd
I was pretty disappointed in this book. Angleton is such an interesting figure throughout the history of the CIA, but this book is pretty bland overall. Not much detail about his counter-intelligence efforts within the Agency other than a random conclusion on the last page that seems to come out of nowhere. The only part I remotely enjoyed was the brief story about Tony Crespi in Beirut - perhaps Buckley should've just written a novel about that character. If you're looking for a good CIA novel ...more
Craig
Readable. Buckley's spy books never really blew my skirt up. But they're not terrible. This is a hagiography of Angleton. I'm undecided on that score, though I lean to the view that Angleton was a good man who meant well, in over his head, maybe. Buckley's conclusion is that Bill Colby was a KGB agent. If that spoils the book for you, tough shit, you should have read it when it came out 25 years ago.
Endre Barath
This was my first book by William F Buckley, Jr. knowing the history of Jesus Angleton of th CIA I thought this was more than just a Spy Novel it was a minute by minute account of what happened. If it did not happen this way, it should have. I have been a Fan of WFB,Jr. in high school when I used to stay up late to watch Firing Line....what an articulate man....I wish I had his vocabulary.
Donald Farinacci
An intellectual spy novel: Interesting.
Brian Jones
I wish I enjoyed it more because many of the parts were excellent spy novel stuff, but the third (and longest) section seemed to go so far afield that the final (and shortest) section struggled to bring things back to the central character study. Really intriguing individual moments, though.
John
I don't enjoy fiction, but I am hooked on Buckley's series of Blackford Oake's novels. "Spytime" is the last installment of the eleven-book series about a Cold War spy and his travails.
Steve
I don't think I have ever read a Buckley novel that I did not like. For me this book was really interesting because many of the events were key battles in the Cold War.
Dexter
An entertaining read. I always enjoy Buckley's style.
Liz V.
Would prefer well written non-fiction.
Laura marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
Howard
Howard marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Ronie Washington-mercado
Ronie Washington-mercado marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Bernice
Bernice marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
Brad Ruggles
Brad Ruggles marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
george
george marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
John Rodeberg
John Rodeberg marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Jake Roese
Jake Roese marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2014
Kevin Modlin
Kevin Modlin marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Corey
Corey marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Nick Swanson
Nick Swanson marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
William Frank Buckley, Jr. was an American author and conservative commentator. He founded the political magazine National Review in 1955, hosted 1,429 episodes of the television show Firing Line from 1966 until 1999, and was a nationally syndicated newspaper columnist. His writing style was famed for its erudition, wit, and use of uncommon words.

Buckley was "arguably the most important public int
More about William F. Buckley Jr....
God and Man at Yale: The Superstitions of 'Academic Freedom' Saving the Queen Miles Gone By: A Literary Biography Stained Glass Who's on First: A Blackford Oakes Mystery