Start by marking “A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty” as Want to Read:

4.3  ·  Rating Details ·  1,380 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews

In this eloquent account of her current struggle with physical pain, Joni Eareckson Tada offers her perspective on divine healing, God’s purposes, and what it means to live with joy.

Over four decades ago, a diving accident left Joni a quadriplegic. Today, she faces a new battle: unrelenting pain. The ongoing urgency of this season in her life has caused Joni to return to

Published September 1st 2010 by David C. Cook (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Place of Healing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place of Healing

Kara Larson
Listened to this on the way to work but took this few notes.
Joni used an awesome story of Perlman performing a concert during which a string broke. He continued the symphony, re-fingering the whole thing. When he finished and the crowd exploded with applause he stated that a true artist takes what is left and makes a unique, beautiful sound/story that couldn't be made if something hadn't been broken/taken away.
God doesn't say "be thankful." He says "give thanks."
Don't ask God to change your situ
Linda
Feb 11, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it
I bought this book for my Kindle while in bed struggling with an illness. I live with chronic pain as well. It was really helpful to me. There was so much that Joni said that I liked, I started out trying to underline it all on my Kindle. Between my Kindle freezing (which they do when you underline a lot) and finding so many good points to underline, I finally gave up! I would have underlined half the book! This book was a good reminder to me of God's love and care, even when it seems He isn't ...more
Faith
Feb 24, 2015 Faith rated it it was amazing
"Pain is a strange, dark companion, but a companion- if only because it has passed through God's inspecting hand.
It's an unwelcome guest, but still a guest. I know that it drives me to a nearer, more intimate place of fellowship with Jesus,
and so I take pain as though I were taking the left hand of God...."
~Joni Tada, chapter one in A Place of Healing.

In this book, written in 2010, Joni Tada shares how her life and ministry took a new turn.
After forty years in a wheelchair, Joni lived each
Sharon
Nov 01, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it
As my illness progresses and death draws nearer, this book (a type I always avoid), was just what I needed. Hope, spirit, resilience and examples are just what I needed to get through my next stage in treatment.. I listened to it on audible while my body recuperated and found that my body's recuperation was accompanied by the spiritual strength this book provided.
Trisha
Jan 17, 2015 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautifully encouraging books about pain and suffering I've read.
John
Feb 05, 2011 John rated it it was amazing
"Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty" is an apt subtitle for this book, for just like Jacob wrestled with God many centuries ago, Joni has been wrestling with God for decades, ever since she took that dive into a too shallow lake as a teenager and became a quadriplegic.

Joni doesn't speak on suffering & healing as a lofty theologian, or as some shallow social commentator, but as a real woman who has walked through real suffering and pain for all her adult l
Birgit
Mar 11, 2014 Birgit rated it liked it
This is the very first book I have ever listened to and it was ok. For a new Christian (not sure if I can call myself that) I did find it a bit heavy going at times but nonetheless inspirational.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Aug 23, 2010 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it really liked it
MY REVIEW:

This is the raw, honest, and vulnerable sharing from Joni's heart and from the Word of God about suffering. It's a powerful look at how God is a loving God and has plans for us to bring glory to Him and grow in our relationship with Him.

I enjoyed Joni's amazing perspective, steady faithfulness, and open honesty. She addresses the issue of Healing Services in a kind, yet biblically sound way. After reading this book you will have a better appreciation for your life as it is and for all
Ramsey Hootman
Aug 20, 2014 Ramsey Hootman rated it really liked it
I got this book during a free download promotion and just opened it out of curiosity, knowing I liked Joni but not really having a specific interest in this book.

However, I soon found that it was exactly the book I didn't know I was looking for. A couple of years ago my daughter was stillborn, and since then I've often struggled with all of the various dark and bitter thoughts that attend the loss of a child.

A Place of Healing is not just about physical pain or disability. It's about how we, a
David
Dec 31, 2013 David rated it really liked it
A friend gave this to me at the beginning of the year and said it helped him while he was in the hospital. Honestly, I didn't know anything about the author and the beginning chapter felt like this was one of those syrupy, sappy, cheesy Christian books, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I've had my fill of them and don't find them palatable or filling anymore. I set it in my backpack and thus forgot about it. Ten months later I pull it out late at my mom's house and decide to at least ...more
Karen B
An absolutely incredible, profound book. I've just finished rereading it for the 3rd or 4th time. I can't recommend it highly enough. Perhaps one of the top 10 books I've ever read in any genre.

So full of wisdom. So full of joy. An awesome resource for all believers, helping us wrestle with the mystery of God's goodness, sovereignty, and the problem of pain and suffering.

Joni goes beyond trite answers and shares her struggles so honestly. I can't wait to see her dancing in heaven! I know I will
Meredith
Jun 10, 2012 Meredith rated it really liked it
I really appreciated this perspective on this book. Joni is writing concerning her battle with chronic pain and how to find joy and contentment in the battle. She answers questions so many of us ask in our own minds about pain and suffering. Her responses are biblical and help dispel some of the "christian" answers about faith and healing and sin. The biggest idea I came away with was that God uses suffering and pain in our lives to draw us into sweet communion relationship with Him. This book ...more
Amanda
Jan 23, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Joni is an amazing woman, and this book is fantastic for anyone struggling with health challenges. She has the ability to look at situations God has placed her in and praise him for his work through it. This book was super encouraging to me, and make me praise God for the capacities I have and for the challenges he has given me, that he may use me through them.
I listened to it as an audiobook, but would consider re-reading it as a book too, because I'm sure I missed pieces of it by just li
Diane Perry
Wonderful

She is such an inspiration. This book is helpful in so many ways. No matter where you are in life she offers hope and insight to get you through. The scriptures were beautiful and as always she is a great teacher.
Janice Kohl
May 30, 2016 Janice Kohl rated it really liked it
I read my father in law's copy of this book and since he suffered with chronic, and often, severe back pain, the book was much more meaningful to me. Also, I am familiar with the author's story.
Tammy
Feb 01, 2016 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I highly recommend this to everyone, but especially those who struggle with chronic pain and suffering.
Stefani S.
Jan 24, 2013 Stefani S. rated it it was amazing
This book has been a continual inspiration to me.
Josh Skinner
Nov 12, 2014 Josh Skinner rated it really liked it
A Place of Healing is Joni's look at suffering in light of God's sovereignty and goodness. If you are unfamiliar with Joni, she is a quadriplegic who has been used by God to minister to many since her diving accident led to her paralysis. As I was struggling with this issue I wanted to hear counsel from someone who had endured suffering. That being said, I trust the Scriptures an infinite times more than I do someone's experience, so I wanted someone who would open the Word of God and deal with ...more
Jackie Layne
Oct 11, 2016 Jackie Layne rated it it was amazing
This book was a blessing pure and simple. It is wise to listen to someone who has suffered intensely, especially someone who has such a close walk with the Lord.
laurenpie
Nov 11, 2016 laurenpie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian
Just.. wow. Poignant. Gripping. Rings true.

I highly recommend this book to everyone struggling with questions of worth and God's love in light of trials and struggles of any type.. and particularly health. This book should be required reading for anyone edging toward prosperity gospel or the authority of the believer; for anyone (even in innocent ignorance) leaning towards thoughts such as, "If only you would honestly confess your hidden sin, you could be healed!" Or, "If only you had more faith
Greg
Apr 21, 2014 Greg rated it it was amazing
I listened to the Audiobook version of this book, read by the author. This really helped me to get in touch with what the author was saying in the book, as the voice inflections and tones were all in the intended places and enhanced the message of the book.

I highly recommend this book for everyone who calls themselves a Christian, so that we all may have a fuller understanding of the purposes of God in allowing pain and suffering in people's lives. As well as that, Joni gives us a Godly example
Holly Weiss
Mar 02, 2011 Holly Weiss rated it it was amazing
Why does God allow pain? Is God concerned with suffering and involved in it? Plato, C.S. Lewis, Rabbi Harold Kushner, Henri Nouwen, the apostle Paul and others have all addressed these age-old questions.

Instead of focusing on how God is involved in the problem of pain, Joni Eareckson Tada chooses instead in her book, A Place of Healing, to examine how God can use pain to draw her closer to Himself and lift her above her human sufferings.

Joni, left a quadriplegic from a diving accident four deca
Ebookwormy
This is a personal exploration of the topic of suffering through the lens of disability and the particular illumination of chronic pain. Written by Tada at a time in her life where she was actually experiencing uncontrolled chronic pain, Tada reflects on God's presence, provision and plan for her life in trying to make sense of her trial.

The introduction and early chapters were somewhat repetitive, but what person in pain is consistently logical and linear? In addition, I found, in general, (ma
Nicki
What a blessing this audio is! I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to Joni talk about her life in such a positive way. This is such a practical book to help you to carry on with your life in spite of your circumstances, something I think Joni does extremely well.
What I liked about it most, is that she is speaking from experience, and not giving pat answers to questions she doesn’t know how to answer. I’ve enjoyed hearing her whole story, from when she had the accident over 40 years ago, to how
Amy  Katherine Brown
Wow. I'm not really sure at this point in time what more to say about this book.

God brought this book to me in his perfect timing, as I've been struggling for over a year with a mysterious neurological condition that doctors have been unable to diagnose and therefore unable to provide treatment, if it were something treatable. I have spent a lot of time in bed, asking many of the questions that Joni addresses in this book.

I am very grateful for Joni's open and honest writings about her life, he
Tanya Logan
Aug 09, 2013 Tanya Logan rated it really liked it
I have always followed Joni's story,admired her, and wanted to give this book a 5-star rating. But it's so SAD! She revisits her topic of pain/suffering in light of God's goodness, which she addressed years ago in A Step Further and When God Weeps. Her chronic pain has continued, and possibly even grown since then. (Pain changes and moves; it is difficult to say whether it's worse, or just different.)

Joni says that pain is one aspect of spiritual warfare [I never looked at it this way], and she
Jul 08, 2013 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
A Place of Healing is about Joni's struggle with chronic pain, a new kind of suffering giving her pause to question all she learned from her previous experience (the diving accident that left her quadriplegic). It's real, it's raw, it's desperate, but through all of that, it becomes something beautiful. A clear message resonates throughout the book, that anyone can find joy in Christ, not in spite of suffering, but because of it.

This book touched me on many levels, as I am currently struggling w
Janice
Feb 08, 2016 Janice rated it really liked it
I recently listened to this audio book again after hearing it a few years ago. It is read by the author which I very much appreciate.

A Place of Healing is a lovely book with many wonderful encouragements from Joni even in the midst of her severe chronic pain and of course her quadriplegia. I recommend it for anyone who is struggling with chronic illness, pain or disability. My one (minor) issue is that she often quoted from paraphrases instead of directly quoting Scripture. It would have been b
Lillie
Reconciling suffering and pain with God's love and sovereignty isn't always easy, but Joni Eareckson Tada does a masterful job. This is a woman who has spent more than 40 years as a quadriplegic and at the time she wrote this book, she was enduring constant excruciating pain. Her prayers for healing have gone unanswered, but she has an incredibly strong faith. Like St. Paul, she has learned to be content in all circumstances. She thanks God for her disability because it has given her such a ...more
Catherine Gillespie
Feb 15, 2015 Catherine Gillespie rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Of all people, Joni Eareckson Tada is someone who can write about the problem of pain and suffering with authority. Drawing on her own experiences wrestling with God over her decades of quadriplegia and chronic pain, in A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God’s Sovereignty Tada writes eloquently about healing, hope, and the way to find meaning and purpose in the middle of struggle and suffering.

Although I have never experienced pain and suffering to a degree
  • The Power of Suffering: Strengthening Your Faith in the Refiner's Fire (Macarthur Study Series)
  • Handle with Prayer: Unwrap the Source of God's Strength for Living
  • The Work of Christ: What the Events of Jesus' Life Mean for You
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • The God Who Sees You: Look to Him When You Feel Discouraged, Forgotten, or Invisible
  • Speaking Truth in Love: Counsel in Community
  • Nothing Is Impossible with God: Reflections on Weakness, Faith, and Power
  • Godspeed: Making Christ's Mission Your Own
  • Discover the Mystery of Faith: How Worship Shapes Believing
  • Blood Work: How the Blood of Christ Accomplishes Our Salvation
  • Long Story Short: Ten-Minute Devotions to Draw Your Family to God: Old Testament
Previously published as Joni Eareckson
FROM WEBSITE:
A diving accident in 1967 left Mrs. Tada a quadriplegic in a wheelchair, unable to use her hands. During two years of rehabilitation, she spent long months learning how to paint with a brush between her teeth. Her high detail fine art paintings and prints are sought after and collected.
Due to her best-selling books, beginning with her autobiograp
More about Joni Eareckson Tada...

“He has chosen not to heal me, but to hold me. The more intense the pain, the closer His embrace.” 34 likes
“Here at our ministry we refuse to present a picture of “gentle Jesus, meek and mild,” a portrait that tugs at your sentiments or pulls at your heartstrings. That’s because we deal with so many people who suffer, and when you’re hurting hard, you’re neither helped nor inspired by a syrupy picture of the Lord, like those sugary, sentimental images many of us grew up with. You know what I mean? Jesus with His hair parted down the middle, surrounded by cherubic children and bluebirds.

Come on. Admit it: When your heart is being wrung out like a sponge, when you feel like Morton’s salt is being poured into your wounded soul, you don’t want a thin, pale, emotional Jesus who relates only to lambs and birds and babies.

You want a warrior Jesus.

You want a battlefield Jesus. You want his rigorous and robust gospel to command your sensibilities to stand at attention.

To be honest, many of the sentimental hymns and gospel songs of our heritage don’t do much to hone that image. One of the favorite words of hymn writers in days gone by was sweet. It’s a term that down’t have the edge on it that it once did. When you’re in a dark place, when lions surround you, when you need strong help to rescue you from impossibility, you don’t want “sweet.” You don’t want faded pastels and honeyed softness.

You want mighty. You want the strong arm an unshakable grip of God who will not let you go — no matter what.”
19 likes