Start by marking “A Place of Healing: Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty” as Want to Read:

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  796 ratings  ·  103 reviews
In this eloquent account of her current struggle with physical pain, Joni Eareckson Tada offers her perspective on divine healing, God’s purposes, and what it means to live with joy.

Over four decades ago, a diving accident left Joni a quadriplegic. Today, she faces a new battle: unrelenting pain. The ongoing urgency of this season in her life has caused Joni to return to f...more
Published September 1st 2010 by David C. Cook (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Place of Healing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Place of Healing

Kara Larson
Listened to this on the way to work but took this few notes.
Joni used an awesome story of Perlman performing a concert during which a string broke. He continued the symphony, re-fingering the whole thing. When he finished and the crowd exploded with applause he stated that a true artist takes what is left and makes a unique, beautiful sound/story that couldn't be made if something hadn't been broken/taken away.
God doesn't say "be thankful." He says "give thanks."
Don't ask God to change your situ...more
John
"Wrestling with the Mysteries of Suffering, Pain, and God's Sovereignty" is an apt subtitle for this book, for just like Jacob wrestled with God many centuries ago, Joni has been wrestling with God for decades, ever since she took that dive into a too shallow lake as a teenager and became a quadriplegic.

Joni doesn't speak on suffering & healing as a lofty theologian, or as some shallow social commentator, but as a real woman who has walked through real suffering and pain for all her adult l...more
Linda
I bought this book for my Kindle while in bed struggling with an illness. I live with chronic pain as well. It was really helpful to me. There was so much that Joni said that I liked, I started out trying to underline it all on my Kindle. Between my Kindle freezing (which they do when you underline a lot) and finding so many good points to underline, I finally gave up! I would have underlined half the book! This book was a good reminder to me of God's love and care, even when it seems He isn't a...more
Meredith
I really appreciated this perspective on this book. Joni is writing concerning her battle with chronic pain and how to find joy and contentment in the battle. She answers questions so many of us ask in our own minds about pain and suffering. Her responses are biblical and help dispel some of the "christian" answers about faith and healing and sin. The biggest idea I came away with was that God uses suffering and pain in our lives to draw us into sweet communion relationship with Him. This book...more
Greg
I listened to the Audiobook version of this book, read by the author. This really helped me to get in touch with what the author was saying in the book, as the voice inflections and tones were all in the intended places and enhanced the message of the book.

I highly recommend this book for everyone who calls themselves a Christian, so that we all may have a fuller understanding of the purposes of God in allowing pain and suffering in people's lives. As well as that, Joni gives us a Godly example...more
Birgit
This is the very first book I have ever listened to and it was ok. For a new Christian (not sure if I can call myself that) I did find it a bit heavy going at times but nonetheless inspirational.
Katie
While Joni is talking about the struggles she has had with physical injury(and the emotional and spiritual ramifications of that injury), I think her wisdom works equally well for other painful circumstances. Why God lets such terrible things happen to His followers, and how we can continue to go on, are really profound, relevant questions for many people. What if God chooses not to heal you? Does that mean He loves you any less? I read this after I experienced a late miscarriage, and it helped...more
Ramsey Hootman
I got this book during a free download promotion and just opened it out of curiosity, knowing I liked Joni but not really having a specific interest in this book.

However, I soon found that it was exactly the book I didn't know I was looking for. A couple of years ago my daughter was stillborn, and since then I've often struggled with all of the various dark and bitter thoughts that attend the loss of a child.

A Place of Healing is not just about physical pain or disability. It's about how we, a...more
Stefani S.
This book has been a continual inspiration to me.
Nicki
What a blessing this audio is! I have thoroughly enjoyed listening to Joni talk about her life in such a positive way. This is such a practical book to help you to carry on with your life in spite of your circumstances, something I think Joni does extremely well.
What I liked about it most, is that she is speaking from experience, and not giving pat answers to questions she doesn’t know how to answer. I’ve enjoyed hearing her whole story, from when she had the accident over 40 years ago, to how...more
Holly Weiss
Why does God allow pain? Is God concerned with suffering and involved in it? Plato, C.S. Lewis, Rabbi Harold Kushner, Henri Nouwen, the apostle Paul and others have all addressed these age-old questions.

Instead of focusing on how God is involved in the problem of pain, Joni Eareckson Tada chooses instead in her book, A Place of Healing, to examine how God can use pain to draw her closer to Himself and lift her above her human sufferings.

Joni, left a quadriplegic from a diving accident four deca...more
Mandy Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

This is the raw, honest, and vulnerable sharing from Joni's heart and from the Word of God about suffering. It's a powerful look at how God is a loving God and has plans for us to bring glory to Him and grow in our relationship with Him.

I enjoyed Joni's amazing perspective, steady faithfulness, and open honesty. She addresses the issue of Healing Services in a kind, yet biblically sound way. After reading this book you will have a better appreciation for your life as it is and for all...more
David
A friend gave this to me at the beginning of the year and said it helped him while he was in the hospital. Honestly, I didn't know anything about the author and the beginning chapter felt like this was one of those syrupy, sappy, cheesy Christian books, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I've had my fill of them and don't find them palatable or filling anymore. I set it in my backpack and thus forgot about it. Ten months later I pull it out late at my mom's house and decide to at least fini...more
Amy  Katherine Brown
Wow. I'm not really sure at this point in time what more to say about this book.

God brought this book to me in his perfect timing, as I've been struggling for over a year with a mysterious neurological condition that doctors have been unable to diagnose and therefore unable to provide treatment, if it were something treatable. I have spent a lot of time in bed, asking many of the questions that Joni addresses in this book.

I am very grateful for Joni's open and honest writings about her life, he...more
Josh Skinner
A Place of Healing is Joni's look at suffering in light of God's sovereignty and goodness. If you are unfamiliar with Joni, she is a quadriplegic who has been used by God to minister to many since her diving accident led to her paralysis. As I was struggling with this issue I wanted to hear counsel from someone who had endured suffering. That being said, I trust the Scriptures an infinite times more than I do someone's experience, so I wanted someone who would open the Word of God and deal with...more
Tanya Logan
I have always followed Joni's story,admired her, and wanted to give this book a 5-star rating. But it's so SAD! She revisits her topic of pain/suffering in light of God's goodness, which she addressed years ago in A Step Further and When God Weeps. Her chronic pain has continued, and possibly even grown since then. (Pain changes and moves; it is difficult to say whether it's worse, or just different.)

Joni says that pain is one aspect of spiritual warfare [I never looked at it this way], and she...more
A Place of Healing is about Joni's struggle with chronic pain, a new kind of suffering giving her pause to question all she learned from her previous experience (the diving accident that left her quadriplegic). It's real, it's raw, it's desperate, but through all of that, it becomes something beautiful. A clear message resonates throughout the book, that anyone can find joy in Christ, not in spite of suffering, but because of it.

This book touched me on many levels, as I am currently struggling w...more
Mike Knox
Joni wrote this book out of excruciating pain. It will be especially valuable to those who are also suffering. I won't say more except to mention an wonderful illustration (pp. 96-8) of God’s sovereignty, and wondrous grace in times of trouble.

A while ago Joni and hubby Ken observed 38th anniversary of the day she broke her neck in diving accident. They had crab cakes, because, were it not for a “feisty Chesapeake Bay blue crab” that bit Joni’s sister’s toe, her sister Kathy would not have found...more
Bobby
Wonderful book focusing on God's sovereignty through suffering with pain. This book is truly about God, not about Joni. Christ uses her trials to speak truths about Himself that are just so much more clear coming from someone who has been through so much earthly pain. Her strength and testimony is so strong. Highly recommended.
Janice Bambalere
Amazing and encouraging

There are so few books that really speak about disabilities and pain as a part of God's plan. I've had so many hurtful things said to me by people who didn't know better, but also healthcare workers. Anyone who struggles or knows someone who struggles will love this book.

Georgia Herod
After 40 years of living in a wheelchair, after enduring excruciating, unexplainable, chronic pain for a decade, and after having recently been diagnosed with breast cancer, when Joni Eareckson Tada speaks about living life to the fullest in spite of suffering and pain, I want to read anything she has to say! Especially because her platform is her own life! She has wrestled with all the hard questions about God in the midst of the harshness in life--and she comes back to the same place: trusting...more
Lynelle Clark
It took me awhile to go through this book, not because of boredom but because there was so many truths to absorb and ponder. In my life I go through many trails and I thought maybe I am to dull to understand God's plan in all of this. Especially when the body turns her back on you thinking that you are without faith, demon possessed etc. Her book gave me new hope and strength to the battles we face knowing that through it all God is still in control. To know that we have a loving Father that is...more
Pypa
This book is riveting. This is for anyone who struggles with any kind of chronic pain or condition. God knows what He us doing and we can see His miracles performed through our season of pain. Thank you Joni.
Linda
Excellent because of her honesty. She has a lot of credibility because she daily faces the challenges she writes about. I read this on a Kindle, but I'll be ordering print copies to share with others.
Rex
Outstanding! Joni's transparency while dealing with agonizing pain in addition to her struggles with quadriplegia while leading a world-wide ministry is inspiring. She details how God's sovereignty overrules our desire for healing to accomplish His goals in getting the Gospel to all peoples. She details her history of seeking divine healing in the early years of her paralysis and by the end of the book the reader sees how because of her spinal cord injury she has been able to touch more lives fo...more
Audra Falk
Honest perspective on suffering. I especially appreciated how the book is very Bible-based, with lots of Scripture quotes and stories. She also includes many very inspiring and touching personal recollections and stories of friends she's met through the years. She is very open and honest about her struggles; it is not at all a cliche answer to the problem of pain. Anyone would benefit from reading this book, whether they are physically disabled or not.
Karen B
An absolutely incredible, profound book. I've just finished rereading it for the 3rd or 4th time. I can't recommend it highly enough. Perhaps one of the top 10 books I've ever read in any genre.

So full of wisdom. So full of joy. An awesome resource for all believers, helping us wrestle with the mystery of God's goodness, sovereignty, and the problem of pain and suffering.

Joni goes beyond trite answers and shares her struggles so honestly. I can't wait to see her dancing in heaven! I know I will...more
Jessica
wonderful book and very timely. highly recommend, especially for anyone who is struggling with physical or emotional pain.
Kate
A Place of Healing is a quick read consisting of ten chapters in which Joni talks about different aspects of healing and living with chronic illness or disability. She covers the theology of miraculous healing and seeks to answer questions such as “What benefit is there to my pain?” and “How can I go on like this?”. She writes about the benefit sickness can be to our character, while at the same time acknowledging how incredibly difficult it is to endure.

Continue reading this review here: http:/...more
Wendy Sparkes
Feb 27, 2013 Wendy Sparkes rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone suffering with illness or disability.
I always enjoy Joni's writing. She has a compassion that reaches out to everyone. This one I found very helpful, as during the time of writing, Joni is experiencing chronic pain, which is something I am all too familiar with! She has also experienced the "I've been praying for you, & you aren't healed, so you must be doing something wrong" people in her life (Unfortunately, so have I!) & looks at the reasons why God may not heal.

I found this book to be very encouraging & comforting,...more
  • Found: God's Will
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • Glorious Ruin: How Suffering Sets You Free
  • The Furious Longing of God
  • 10 People Every Christian Should Know
  • What's So Great About the Doctrines of Grace?
  • A Quest For More: Living For Something Bigger than You
  • Healing for Damaged Emotions
  • A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises
  • Coffee Shop Conversations: Making the Most of Spiritual Small Talk
  • The Beloved Disciple: Following John to the Heart of Jesus
  • God's Story, Your Story: When His Becomes Yours
Previously published as Joni Eareckson
FROM WEBSITE:
A diving accident in 1967 left Mrs. Tada a quadriplegic in a wheelchair, unable to use her hands. During two years of rehabilitation, she spent long months learning how to paint with a brush between her teeth. Her high detail fine art paintings and prints are sought after and collected.
Due to her best-selling books, beginning with her autobiograp...more
More about Joni Eareckson Tada...
Joni: An Unforgettable Story When God Weeps: Why Our Sufferings Matter to the Almighty The God I Love: A Lifetime of Walking with Jesus A Step Further: growing closer to God through hurt and hardship Heaven: Your Real Home

“He has chosen not to heal me, but to hold me. The more intense the pain, the closer His embrace.” 20 likes
“Here at our ministry we refuse to present a picture of “gentle Jesus, meek and mild,” a portrait that tugs at your sentiments or pulls at your heartstrings. That’s because we deal with so many people who suffer, and when you’re hurting hard, you’re neither helped nor inspired by a syrupy picture of the Lord, like those sugary, sentimental images many of us grew up with. You know what I mean? Jesus with His hair parted down the middle, surrounded by cherubic children and bluebirds.

Come on. Admit it: When your heart is being wrung out like a sponge, when you feel like Morton’s salt is being poured into your wounded soul, you don’t want a thin, pale, emotional Jesus who relates only to lambs and birds and babies.

You want a warrior Jesus.

You want a battlefield Jesus. You want his rigorous and robust gospel to command your sensibilities to stand at attention.

To be honest, many of the sentimental hymns and gospel songs of our heritage don’t do much to hone that image. One of the favorite words of hymn writers in days gone by was sweet. It’s a term that down’t have the edge on it that it once did. When you’re in a dark place, when lions surround you, when you need strong help to rescue you from impossibility, you don’t want “sweet.” You don’t want faded pastels and honeyed softness.

You want mighty. You want the strong arm an unshakable grip of God who will not let you go — no matter what.”
15 likes