Start by marking “An Ensuing Evil and Others: Fourteen Historical Mysteries” as Want to Read:
An Ensuing Evil and Others: Fourteen Historical Mysteries

An Ensuing Evil and Others: Fourteen Historical Mysteries

Peter Tremayne is one of the best loved writers of historical mysteries, his novels and stories published in over a dozen countries around the world. An Ensuing Evil collects for the first time fourteen of his historical mysteries ranging in time and place from 7th-century Ireland (featuring his best known sleuth, Fidelma of Cashel) and 8th-century Scotland (featuring the ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published December 27th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about An Ensuing Evil and Others, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Ensuing Evil and Others

Morgan Dhu
Peter Termayne is, as I understand, best known for his series of historical mysteries featuring Irish nun Sister Fidelma, which I have recently begun reading. However, he has written mysteries set in other eras, including the more-or-less modern one, and some of his shorter offerings are collected in Ensuing Evil and Others: Fourteen Historical Mysteries.

It's quite an interesting range, from a murder mystery set in the castle of the historical MacBeth and his lady Gruoch, to a modern locked-room
Crystal
Jul 07, 2009 Crystal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sister-fidelma
Peter Tremayne is known for his wildly popular Sister Fidelma series, set in seventh-century Ireland. He is really Peter Berresford Ellis, a well-known Celtic historian, so I believe what I read of Celtic history in his Sister Fidelma series, which I love. An Ensuing Evil and Others has short stories set in many periods of history. I particularly enjoyed the five stories furthering the adventures of Sherlock Holmes. And, of course, I enjoyed the one Sister Fidelma story he included. I have not o ...more
Carmen
Dec 09, 2010 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of stories by the creator of the Sister Fidelma mysteries. Here he sets some of his stories during Shakespeare's times, then has several solved by Sherlock Holmes. As always, quite interesting. The format of a short story makes it perfect to keep in the car and read when you are up to several other things and need something to do while you are waiting for someone else.
Gene Cummins
This collection of short stories wasn't up to Tremayne's usual outstanding standards. Or perhaps I was just disappointed because it was more Sherlock Holmes and other London detectives and less of Sister Fidelma. That's what I really enjoy.
Oodles
Fourteen historical mysteries...a break from his usual Sister Fidelma character, although one story is about her. Tremayne is a wonderful historical mystery writer!
Kaye
May 16, 2009 Kaye rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like historical fiction a lot and this book of short stories led me to buy more books by this author. I just don't like short stories that much.
Kerry
Wasn't sure how I would like this book, but enjoyed it throughly. Never have come across this author before, but plan to read more of his books.
Alexandra
Feb 23, 2010 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Only one of these stories is Sister Fidelma, but I am really enjoying this book -- love the Shakespearean mysteries, Sherlock Holmes and the one with Dickens.
Susan
Oct 18, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery

Wonderful collection of historical mysteries
and it includes some very good Sherlockiana
too!
Gettymag
Gettymag rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2012
Rebecca Kaltoum
Rebecca Kaltoum rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2013
Aoife
Aoife rated it really liked it
May 13, 2012
Shirley A. Coale
Shirley A. Coale rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Carol Frazer
Carol Frazer rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2011
Larie
Larie rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Julia
Julia rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2009
Hilliary Smith
Hilliary Smith rated it liked it
Jul 22, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it did not like it
Dec 10, 2010
Colman
Colman rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2010
Matthew
Matthew rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Colin
Colin rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2007
Al
Al rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2014
Erina
Erina rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Philip Mizener
Philip Mizener rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2013
Margaret Unger
Margaret Unger rated it it was ok
Sep 05, 2011
Art
Art rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2015
Fina
Fina rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • The Rose Rent (Chronicles of Brother Cadfael, #13)
  • The Bishop's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #4)
  • The Mad Courtesan
  • Hildegard
  • Millenium Hall
  • Scales of Retribution (Burren Mysteries #6)
  • A Study In Lavender: Queering Sherlock Holmes
  • The First Murder  (The Medieval Murderers, #8)
  • Die Teufelsbibel
  • The Borgias
  • The House of Shadows (The Sorrowful Mysteries of Brother Athelstan, #10)
  • Murder for Christ's Mass (Templar Knight Mystery #4)
Peter Berresford Ellis (born 10 March 1943) is a historian, literary biographer, and novelist who has published over 90 books to date either under his own name or his pseudonyms Peter Tremayne and Peter MacAlan. He has also published 95 short stories. His non-fiction books, articles and academic papers have made him acknowledged as an authority on Celtic history and culture. As Peter Tremayne, he ...more
More about Peter Tremayne...