The Oath (Knights Templar, #29)

The Oath (Knights Templar #29)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  137 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Set amid the turmoil of war, when nobody's life is safe, comes a gripping new murder mystery from a master of medieval crime

1326. In an England riven with conflict, knight and peasant alike find their lives turned upside down by the warring factions of Edward II, with his hated favorite, Hugh le Despenser, and Edward's estranged queen Isabella and her lover, Sir Roger Mort...more
Published July 14th 2010 by Simon & Schuster UK (first published June 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Oath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oath

Terri
Three and a half stars well earned.
It is not easy to compose this review of The Oath by Michael Jecks. It is #29 in a 32 book series and I have three more in the series to read after this one. So how does a reviewer keep it fresh and not find her or himself just saying the same things about the same characters over and over? I have three more to review and I don't want them to blend into one.
It was stewing on this that helped me decide how I should write this review. I needed to write a review f...more
Tom
Michael Jecks brings the Middle Ages to life through his Templar series and his main characters, Sir Baldwin and Simon Puttock. "The Oath" continues this chronicle of political intrigue. Jeck's work is always well-researched and accurate, using a particularly stormy time in England's history as the backdrop for murder and mayhem.
Michael Jecks
Jan 27, 2012 Michael Jecks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
This was the first book with Simon & Schuster, and I am really fond of it. The efforts to which my new publisher went to make sure that the cover and design suited the book were far greater than I was used to, and the careful editing brought the whole story together tightly.

It was the period at the end of the King's reign. He was forced to flee London as his wife's army landed and made a sweep across the country gathering allies and receiving adulation wherever she went. The King, by contra...more
Adam
This is probably one of the worst books I have ever read. My cousin unloaded this on me. I usually respect his taste in literature, however, now I see why he "unloaded" it. Don't waste your time. Very, very boring. I do not usually get rid of books, however, I'm thinking of donating this to a library. The problem is, I don't want some poor sap to waste time with this. Perhaps I can re-gift it as a Christmas present to an enemy. Now to find an enemy........
Rachel
So good, I've read it in a binge over the weekend. Less of a detective story than most of his, more of a historical novel with a couple of murders in, but by now we know Baldwin and Simon so well, and the history is so exciting, that we don't need the murder mystery element to keep the interest going. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Amie
Interesting historical mystery, following the destruction of Edward II's kingdom. There were a lot of characters with similar names, but it was generally a fast and interesting read.
Maya
A great mystery that had me guessing and a great look at a confusing time in England, at least for the followers of Edward II who hated his advisers but didn't want to go against him.
Ron
Decent historical murder mystery set in medieval England during the reign of Edward II. I will have to take a look at others in the series.
Historical fiction about the downfall of King Edward II of England with a murder mystery as a secondary plot.
Dianne
Another good Michael Jecks novel featuring Bailiff Simon Puttock and Keeper of the King's Peace Sir Baldwin de Furnshill. The year in 1326, when Edward II is deposed by his wife Isabella and her lover Roger Mortimer. There is more historical content in this novel as Simon and Sir Baldwin get caught up in the opposing sides as the Queen's forces corner Edward II in Wales. Critical to the conflict is the City of Bristol which is to hold the line against the Queen allowing the king time to recruit...more
Simon
This is the first in this series, I didn't realise there were so many of them, BUT just didn't get into this one at all, yes great background into the era but sorry gave up. Do I want to read another of his... mmmmm maybe one day, but not this year.
James Krauss
Where this had a lot of history to it the three sets of murders was very well played out. But I did love the history that was in this book.
Debbi
This book was okay. There are two parallel story lines set during one of England's civil wars, and they come together the end, but I felt like it took to long (and I like thick books!) to get there. Also, some of the names were similar so sometimes it was hard to keep track of which side you were reading about. Of course, given how often people changed sides in this particular war, that might have been the cause! I will read more of his books (I have one on the shelf waiting) as it wasn't bad, i...more
Ralph Britton
This continuation of the story of Sir Baldwin and Simon Puttock lives up to the usual standard of Michael Jecks. He researches the end of Edward II meticulously and builds a credible fictional recreation of it into an efficent detective story. The novel is well written and if you like historical detective stories you will enjoy it.
Amanda
As a historical novel, this is very interesting, and gives some excellent detail on a wild time in English history. As a mystery novel, on the other hand, it was only passable. The author seems to get so caught up in telling us about the history that he sort of forgot the mystery part much of the time.
Jacqueline
book was long. I liked the historical detail,but the mystery was lost in the battle between King Edward II and his wife and Sir Roger Mortimer.It was quite different from the earlier books in the series,and it's been a while since I read one. Need to go back and find earlier books.
James Lyon
A well-researched, very colorful intrigue-filled mystery in medieval England. The writing style is good and the story-telling is gripping. I must admit, though, that I felt it ran a bit long in places and could have benefited by being shortened by about 10,000 words.
Evie Maiolo
Quite long but that's what I liked about this book - the tale not rushed or skimmed over anywhere. This book has a nice level of historical detail, and well interwoven storylines to keep the reader from easily predicting the ending.
Patti
Wasn't at all about what it was advertised; the Knights Templar play a very small, not even supporting role. Very long and very disappointing
Kelly
Too many points of view in each chapter. Very confusing. Didn't even make the 50 page test.
Beverly
Enjoyable read, one of the better books in the Knight Templar series.
Jane Broadway
Jane Broadway marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Huenu
Huenu added it
Aug 24, 2014
Nathalie Driscart
Nathalie Driscart marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Ady Smith
Ady Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou...more
More about Michael Jecks...
The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1) A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3) The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2) The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5) The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)