Start by marking “The Oath (Knights Templar, #29)” as Want to Read:
The Oath (Knights Templar, #29)

The Oath (Knights Templar #29)

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  217 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Set amid the turmoil of war, when nobody's life is safe, comes a gripping new murder mystery from a master of medieval crime

1326. In an England riven with conflict, knight and peasant alike find their lives turned upside down by the warring factions of Edward II, with his hated favorite, Hugh le Despenser, and Edward's estranged queen Isabella and her lover, Sir Roger Mort
Published July 8th 2010 by Simon & Schuster UK

To ask other readers questions about The Oath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oath

Terri
Three and a half stars well earned.
It is not easy to compose this review of The Oath by Michael Jecks. It is #29 in a 32 book series and I have three more in the series to read after this one. So how does a reviewer keep it fresh and not find her or himself just saying the same things about the same characters over and over? I have three more to review and I don't want them to blend into one.
It was stewing on this that helped me decide how I should write this review. I needed to write a review f
Michael Jecks
Jan 27, 2012 Michael Jecks rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-own
This was the first book with Simon & Schuster, and I am really fond of it. The efforts to which my new publisher went to make sure that the cover and design suited the book were far greater than I was used to, and the careful editing brought the whole story together tightly.

It was the period at the end of the King's reign. He was forced to flee London as his wife's army landed and made a sweep across the country gathering allies and receiving adulation wherever she went. The King, by contra
Adam
Jun 12, 2012 Adam rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is probably one of the worst books I have ever read. My cousin unloaded this on me. I usually respect his taste in literature, however, now I see why he "unloaded" it. Don't waste your time. Very, very boring. I do not usually get rid of books, however, I'm thinking of donating this to a library. The problem is, I don't want some poor sap to waste time with this. Perhaps I can re-gift it as a Christmas present to an enemy. Now to find an enemy........
Rachel
Jun 10, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So good, I've read it in a binge over the weekend. Less of a detective story than most of his, more of a historical novel with a couple of murders in, but by now we know Baldwin and Simon so well, and the history is so exciting, that we don't need the murder mystery element to keep the interest going. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Amie
Jan 07, 2011 Amie rated it liked it
Interesting historical mystery, following the destruction of Edward II's kingdom. There were a lot of characters with similar names, but it was generally a fast and interesting read.
Maya
Mar 10, 2011 Maya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A great mystery that had me guessing and a great look at a confusing time in England, at least for the followers of Edward II who hated his advisers but didn't want to go against him.
Ron
Mar 14, 2011 Ron rated it liked it
Decent historical murder mystery set in medieval England during the reign of Edward II. I will have to take a look at others in the series.
Nov 29, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historical fiction about the downfall of King Edward II of England with a murder mystery as a secondary plot.
Dianne
Another good Michael Jecks novel featuring Bailiff Simon Puttock and Keeper of the King's Peace Sir Baldwin de Furnshill. The year in 1326, when Edward II is deposed by his wife Isabella and her lover Roger Mortimer. There is more historical content in this novel as Simon and Sir Baldwin get caught up in the opposing sides as the Queen's forces corner Edward II in Wales. Critical to the conflict is the City of Bristol which is to hold the line against the Queen allowing the king time to recruit ...more
Sharon L. Cooper
Jun 08, 2016 Sharon L. Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perfect blend of history and mystery

I would recommend Jecks' knights Templar series to anyone interested in crime solving or English History. I particularly like his recurring characters. They are adults with families and property that they are responsible for. This makes them easy to relate to, in spite of living 700 years ago. Modern detectives always seem to be loners with no ordinary lives.
Debbi
Apr 16, 2011 Debbi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay. There are two parallel story lines set during one of England's civil wars, and they come together the end, but I felt like it took to long (and I like thick books!) to get there. Also, some of the names were similar so sometimes it was hard to keep track of which side you were reading about. Of course, given how often people changed sides in this particular war, that might have been the cause! I will read more of his books (I have one on the shelf waiting) as it wasn't bad, i ...more
Ralph Britton
May 19, 2013 Ralph Britton rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This continuation of the story of Sir Baldwin and Simon Puttock lives up to the usual standard of Michael Jecks. He researches the end of Edward II meticulously and builds a credible fictional recreation of it into an efficent detective story. The novel is well written and if you like historical detective stories you will enjoy it.
Amanda
As a historical novel, this is very interesting, and gives some excellent detail on a wild time in English history. As a mystery novel, on the other hand, it was only passable. The author seems to get so caught up in telling us about the history that he sort of forgot the mystery part much of the time.
Jacqueline
book was long. I liked the historical detail,but the mystery was lost in the battle between King Edward II and his wife and Sir Roger Mortimer.It was quite different from the earlier books in the series,and it's been a while since I read one. Need to go back and find earlier books.
James Lyon
Apr 26, 2013 James Lyon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A well-researched, very colorful intrigue-filled mystery in medieval England. The writing style is good and the story-telling is gripping. I must admit, though, that I felt it ran a bit long in places and could have benefited by being shortened by about 10,000 words.
Simon
Aug 06, 2014 Simon rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own
This is the first in this series, I didn't realise there were so many of them, BUT just didn't get into this one at all, yes great background into the era but sorry gave up. Do I want to read another of his... mmmmm maybe one day, but not this year.
Evie Maiolo
Sep 30, 2012 Evie Maiolo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite long but that's what I liked about this book - the tale not rushed or skimmed over anywhere. This book has a nice level of historical detail, and well interwoven storylines to keep the reader from easily predicting the ending.
James Krauss
Jul 30, 2014 James Krauss rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where this had a lot of history to it the three sets of murders was very well played out. But I did love the history that was in this book.
Patti
Oct 10, 2011 Patti rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't at all about what it was advertised; the Knights Templar play a very small, not even supporting role. Very long and very disappointing
Crt
Aug 10, 2015 Crt rated it it was ok
Didn't really enjoy hence the low rating. It was a book that was easy to put down and replace with something else.
Kelly
Feb 02, 2011 Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
Too many points of view in each chapter. Very confusing. Didn't even make the 50 page test.
Beverly
Sep 27, 2011 Beverly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read, one of the better books in the Knight Templar series.
Sascha
Jan 27, 2014 Sascha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 really.
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it really liked it
Jul 28, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Luisa Pitton
Luisa Pitton rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
mixal
mixal rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2016
Kel
Kel added it
Jul 09, 2016
Barbara
Barbara marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Jeanette
Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
  • The Awful Secret (Crowner John Mystery #4)
  • The Tainted Relic: An Historical Mystery (The Medieval Murderers, #1)
  • Loser's Town: A David Spandau Novel
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Issac Of Girona, #1)
  • The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
  • The Devil's Hunt (Hugh Corbett, #10)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • Captured
  • Bad Day in Blackrock
Michael Jecks is a best-selling writer of historical novels. The son of an Actuary, and the youngest of four brothers, he worked in the computer industry before becoming a novelist full time in 1994

He is the author of the internationally popular Templar series, perhaps the longest crime series written by a living author. Unusually, the series looks again at actual events and murders committed abou
More about Michael Jecks...

Knights Templar (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • The Last Templar (Knights Templar, #1)
  • The Merchant's Partner (Knights Templar, #2)
  • A Moorland Hanging  (Knights Templar, #3)
  • The Crediton Killings (Knights Templar, #4)
  • The Abbot's Gibbet (Knights Templar, #5)
  • The Leper's Return (Knights Templar, #6)
  • Squire Throwleigh's Heir (Knights Templar, #7)
  • Belladonna at Belstone (Knights Templar, #8)
  • The Traitor of St Giles (Knights Templar, #9)
  • The Boy-Bishop's Glovemaker (Knights Templar, #10)