Eden

Eden (Edén #1)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A quiet, whimsical world from an Argentinian newcomer
Argentinean artist Pablo Holmberg creates a bucolic, medieval folktale in Eden, where nature is the protagonist and characters are the scenery. Follow a king as he converses with the moon, a star as it is born, and many more in four-panel strips that combine the playfulness of a Sunday comic with the simplicity of a haik...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Drawn and Quarterly (first published 2009)

Mza
Oct 12, 2010 Mza rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ladies & gentlemen
Recommended to Mza by: Nobody
Shelves: 2010
... crosses the sentimentality line a lot of times without losing a limb.

... similar approach to Clowes' Wilson in building a mosaic out of one-page jokes, except the result here is a landscape, not a portrait, and everything in the landscape can talk to every other thing in the landscape.
Denisse Valdenegro
La verdad es que la “sensibilidad” de cómics como este me repugna un poco. Es más cursilería que poesía. Me molestó bastante esa visión que tiene el autor de las mujeres; una visión en la que estamos en la tierra con la única misión de hacer más llevadera la vida de los hombres. Quizás se condiga con la estética decimonónica que tiene Edén. En general, los dibujos no humanos me parecieron adorables. Y fin.
MariNaomi
This book felt simple and sweet as I read it, but something deeper (and darker) than charm stuck with me after I finished it. I can't stop thinking about it.
Leticia
Sweet and charming with measured darkness, but, really, not my favourite thing.
Federiken Masters
Tenía leídas la inmensa mayoría de tiras de este libro (y me gustaron bastante en su mayoría), pero lo pospuse hasta comprármelo para leerlo todito en papel. El promedio final me pareció muy bueno, pero las tiras que no me habían gustado en su momento ahora me gustaron menos todavía.
Vi que ya salió el tomo 2, que pinta bastante lindo. Pero de momento niempedo me lo compro: me niego a pagar más de 1$ la página.
Annie
There are too few books in this big wide world that one can just read and put down afterward with a smile with a feeling like no matter what else may give you heartache, be personal or world-weary; because art, literature like this CAN and continues to exist; everything is and will be okay. As long as Art can still lift its voice above all and be Heard, repeating; as long as I am here; all be okay.
Leif Erik
Not actually a novel, but a comic kind of along the lines of "The Clouds Above" & "The Last Lonely Saturday Night". Maybe even "Billy Hazelnuts".... Clearly I'm getting soft in my old age but there is something touching about the unabashed sentiment of how people are better served by caring about each other.

Guess I'm out of my Cormic McCarthy phase...
Robert
Charming, magical, sometimes philosophical comic strips that occasionally teeter a bit close to the edge of cloying sentimentality but never quite going over. Really like the artist's drawings and color work. Overall, quite a lovely little book, recommended for dreamy types of all ages.
Michelle
One reviewer writes that the comics "feel like they were written by a friend who loves you deeply" and I wholeheartedly agree. The images aren't saccharine but full of imagination and generosity. There is a spirit that lives in these comics. I highly recommend them!
Alex
Jul 25, 2012 Alex rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: visual
The sweetest, gentlest, loveliest, kindest collection of comic strips I have ever read. Poetic in imagery and sentiment as the Little Prince or the book of bedtime stories you loved most as a kid.
Patrice
I found this to be alternately touching, funny and philosophical. It's very simple on the surface, but it really makes you think.
Carlos Rioja
Un tebeo-cuento encantador, mágico y cotidiano. Para leerlo muchas veces y perderse por sus paisajes y personajes sencillos.
Erik Erickson
Pleasant and soothing 4-panel strips. Why isn't this syndicated in newspapers?
Van Jensen
Brilliant, brilliant book.
Jonathan
Jonathan is currently reading it
Jun 18, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Variaciones Enrojo
Variaciones Enrojo marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Ricardo Baptista
Ricardo Baptista marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014