First Grade Takes a Test

First Grade Takes a Test

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  26 reviews
This timely book, reissued with new art, goes right to the heart of the school testing issue. When the principal sends a lady to administer a test to the first grade class, the children find that none of the proffered answers are exactly right and they have trouble with the test. Fortunately, their teacher knows what is really important: being creative and being a good fri...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Star Bright Books (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about First Grade Takes a Test, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Grade Takes a Test

Cheryl in CC NV
I read this as part of a Playaway View and so I won't mark 'date read' here. But I do want to share my thoughts with people reading the book, so here they are again (edited for context).

I take exception to one of the messages here. I did like the first part, in which we learn how children interpret test questions. Too bad, but true, that some instruction time does need to be given over to 'how to take a standardized test' lessons. But then...

Apparently (we actually only have a child's report) o...more
Julian
I detest testing kids and this book really let's kids realize that tests do not dictate how smart they are. It's sad that our children should feel such anxiety about these ridiculous test that have nothing to do with our children actually know. It would be nice to hear more teachers telling our kids that. 1st-2nd grade
Amanda Hicks
I loved this book because although there is a harsh reality in it, there is also a sort of victorious feeling of accomplishment in it. The harsh reality is that this is the way testing looks to children and it is ridiculous to try and base everything a child knows on one simple test. I wish a state official could read this book and I would hope sympathize with children. The victorious part, to me, is that the teacher tells the students that it is okay if they do not score perfectly on the test b...more
Lyndsey Franceschelli
This book talks about how a first grade classroom has to take a test but is being timed as well. Out of the whole classroom only one student finishes it, and that girl is then taken to a special classroom and all the students say she's special and they start calling each other dumb because they didn't go to the "special" classroom. But although the little girl, Anna Maria, left every day she reminded the students something new everyday. But then Anna Maria figures out that she wants to stay with...more
Emily Bernd
I loved this book. In our worl today, it seems that all anyone focuses on anymore is testing adn sadly the students are starting to only worry about testing and their test scores too. The students could really relate to this book and it could calm nerves and lead to great discussions before a time where students have to take standardized tests.
Kristy Breese
What? This book deals with the anxiety children face when taking a test. Miriam Cohen shows us that tests don't show every strength a person may have. Tests do not prove how smart a person is compared to another.

So What? I liked the book for the way it displays students' feelings while taking a test. It was humorous to see two boys who read too much into the questions and made it difficult to answer. For instance, George came to a question that asked him to mark the correct answer which read: Ra...more
Brooke Birchler
This would be a great book to read not only to first graders, but to any grade that is about to take some kind of standardized test. It would help the children to know that these tests do not define them as a person or define their intelligence.
Katie Carlisle
I love this book! I think this is essential to read before testing because there is so much stress put on it that children need to know it is not the most important thing they will do.
Nick Shaffer
A great book that would help anyone relieve first grade. Easy read that should be in every classroom.
Zilha B.
I love this book because it describes how I feel about testing. This book is about a first grade class that has testing. The questions on the test are a bit ridiculous and do not culturally relate to what the students know. The only student who passed the test, Anna Maria, gets pulled out of class to go to a "special class" while the rest of the students feel dumb and stupid. I would use this book during either the first week of school or before/after a test, especially standardized test.
Rosey
This is a "cute" book for young readers, teaching them what a "test" is, and how it did not define a person.

A class is introduced to a test for the first time, and each reacted to the test differently, and how various consequence came out of the test. This is a good book to introduce children to tests, however I felt the book could have been better and made tests sound more positive, especially for such young readers.

Emily
This book addresses the issues of labeling children, regardless of whether they are labeled as GT or LD. The labels that are put on children can have negative effects, especially if the child is pulled out of their class where they are familiar with the routine and their classmates. I think this also shows the importance of differentiated instruction for children with special needs, both LD and GT.
Kyle Baldwin
While testing is a major indicator of student learning and progress, this book shows the negative side of testing. The anxiety, competition among classmates, and unfair categorization that results from testing are illustrated in this book. Can be used to discuss testing rules and hopefully used to relieve anxiety in the classroom before or after a test.
Joanie
We've all been there...the stress, worry, anxiety before a test! The reality is that each day more and more young children are beginning to feel the pressure from test taking. I would read this book to any class before a major test. It's a nice reminder that although tests are important, there is no need to feel anxious as long as you try your best.
Jasmine
I really love this book! This would be an excellent book to read to students when approaching test taking month. Usually students begin to feel really nervous and frighten of standardized testing. This book helps ease the concern that students have for taking test. I would recommend any teacher or parent to read this book to their children.
Kiana Sims
I love the message that this book conveys to children. I would use this book with kids grades 1-5 because they have alot of testing and they need to know that just because you don't do well on a test doesn't mean you're not smart. It also encourages children to be creative and think outside the box.
Amy
This book is a good book to read before students take a test. It helps remind to just try and do their best. As we know test can be stressful for anyone especially children and sometimes we need a reminder to just relax. There are more important things that define who we are.
Sharlene Spencer
This is a story of what happens when 1st graders take a standardized test. It puts you in the mind of the students and how they are feeling. I love the way the teacher explains the test to the students. Great book to use at all levels.
Jillian Warren
This book serves as a reminder that our goal as educators should not be determined by desired test performance. It is also a good book to read to kids who are feeling test anxiety or who are feeling defeated after a test.
Helen Jeffries
A great book to teach kids that doing well on a test is not all that matters in the classroom. It helps to remind me as a teacher how students think.
Jillian Reed
This book confused me a little bit. The class took a test and resulted in a girl leaving throughout the day to a "special class". In the end she comes back. The message isn't really clear.
Teri
I actually learned something from this book! I like the lesson being taught, and how accurately (I believe) it portrays the situation.
Stacie Graham
Cute book and totally true how first graders interpret tests! useful tool when introducing standardized testing and such
Joey Fong
A book that talks about anxiety of test taking. Teaches students that the score of a test does not define a person's capability.
Chelsea
It was a great book about the first time testing. Especially now-a-days when there is so much stress along with taking the CRCT.
Hira
good for pointing out the main idea in reading groups.
« previous 1 3 next »
Will I Have a Friend? When Will I Read? A Daughter of Two Mothers My Big Brother Second Grade Friends