Start by marking “First Grade Takes a Test” as Want to Read:
First Grade Takes a Test

First Grade Takes a Test

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  66 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
This timely book, reissued with new art, goes right to the heart of the school testing issue. When the principal sends a lady to administer a test to the first grade class, the children find that none of the proffered answers are exactly right and they have trouble with the test. Fortunately, their teacher knows what is really important: being creative and being a good fri ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Star Bright Books (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about First Grade Takes a Test, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Grade Takes a Test

Julian
Dec 03, 2010 Julian rated it liked it
I detest testing kids and this book really let's kids realize that tests do not dictate how smart they are. It's sad that our children should feel such anxiety about these ridiculous test that have nothing to do with our children actually know. It would be nice to hear more teachers telling our kids that. 1st-2nd grade
Safina
Jan 28, 2016 Safina rated it really liked it
Award: Oppenheim Toy Portfolio Platinum Best Book Award
Grade level: Grades 1-3
Summary: First Grade is getting ready to take a test; the students are nervous, will they pass? One student excels and is removed to an accelerated class. Teacher and students work together to keep learning with joy and without too much fear about tests.
Review: This book addresses a very important aspect of every student 19s life. It offers an opening into a discussion about tests, fear of tests and the relative import
Kristy Breese
Feb 19, 2013 Kristy Breese rated it really liked it
Shelves: edre-4870
What? This book deals with the anxiety children face when taking a test. Miriam Cohen shows us that tests don't show every strength a person may have. Tests do not prove how smart a person is compared to another.

So What? I liked the book for the way it displays students' feelings while taking a test. It was humorous to see two boys who read too much into the questions and made it difficult to answer. For instance, George came to a question that asked him to mark the correct answer which read: Ra
Amanda Hicks
Feb 11, 2014 Amanda Hicks rated it it was amazing
Shelves: strengths, testing
I loved this book because although there is a harsh reality in it, there is also a sort of victorious feeling of accomplishment in it. The harsh reality is that this is the way testing looks to children and it is ridiculous to try and base everything a child knows on one simple test. I wish a state official could read this book and I would hope sympathize with children. The victorious part, to me, is that the teacher tells the students that it is okay if they do not score perfectly on the test b ...more
Lyndsey Franceschelli
This book talks about how a first grade classroom has to take a test but is being timed as well. Out of the whole classroom only one student finishes it, and that girl is then taken to a special classroom and all the students say she's special and they start calling each other dumb because they didn't go to the "special" classroom. But although the little girl, Anna Maria, left every day she reminded the students something new everyday. But then Anna Maria figures out that she wants to stay with ...more
Zilha B.
I love this book because it describes how I feel about testing. This book is about a first grade class that has testing. The questions on the test are a bit ridiculous and do not culturally relate to what the students know. The only student who passed the test, Anna Maria, gets pulled out of class to go to a "special class" while the rest of the students feel dumb and stupid. I would use this book during either the first week of school or before/after a test, especially standardized test.
Bri Grant
Feb 17, 2016 Bri Grant rated it it was ok
Shelves: edrd-314
I was not this book's biggest fan. It was very preachy about the wrong things. The know-it-all girl was still a know-it-all by the end of the story, she just had a change of heart about which classroom she should be in. The students that did poorly on their tests were rewarded anyway. There was no clear moral of the story and I do not think this is a book I would put out for my 1st graders to read one day.
Emily
Apr 10, 2011 Emily rated it liked it
This book addresses the issues of labeling children, regardless of whether they are labeled as GT or LD. The labels that are put on children can have negative effects, especially if the child is pulled out of their class where they are familiar with the routine and their classmates. I think this also shows the importance of differentiated instruction for children with special needs, both LD and GT.
Rosey
Aug 02, 2008 Rosey rated it liked it
This is a "cute" book for young readers, teaching them what a "test" is, and how it did not define a person.

A class is introduced to a test for the first time, and each reacted to the test differently, and how various consequence came out of the test. This is a good book to introduce children to tests, however I felt the book could have been better and made tests sound more positive, especially for such young readers.

Joanie
Nov 23, 2011 Joanie rated it liked it
Shelves: anxiety, children
We've all been there...the stress, worry, anxiety before a test! The reality is that each day more and more young children are beginning to feel the pressure from test taking. I would read this book to any class before a major test. It's a nice reminder that although tests are important, there is no need to feel anxious as long as you try your best.
Rbettermann
A beautiful picture book that I would recommend for first graders. This book is illustrated by Ronald Himler and his drawings depicts the typical first grade class room with a wide diverse arrangement of students. A book that tells students that being smart on a test is not the only thing that matters.
Kiana Sims
I love the message that this book conveys to children. I would use this book with kids grades 1-5 because they have alot of testing and they need to know that just because you don't do well on a test doesn't mean you're not smart. It also encourages children to be creative and think outside the box.
Emily Bernd
I loved this book. In our worl today, it seems that all anyone focuses on anymore is testing adn sadly the students are starting to only worry about testing and their test scores too. The students could really relate to this book and it could calm nerves and lead to great discussions before a time where students have to take standardized tests.
Jasmine
Sep 09, 2012 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
I really love this book! This would be an excellent book to read to students when approaching test taking month. Usually students begin to feel really nervous and frighten of standardized testing. This book helps ease the concern that students have for taking test. I would recommend any teacher or parent to read this book to their children.
Kyle Baldwin
Nov 21, 2011 Kyle Baldwin rated it really liked it
Shelves: anxiety, testing
While testing is a major indicator of student learning and progress, this book shows the negative side of testing. The anxiety, competition among classmates, and unfair categorization that results from testing are illustrated in this book. Can be used to discuss testing rules and hopefully used to relieve anxiety in the classroom before or after a test.
Amy
This book is a good book to read before students take a test. It helps remind to just try and do their best. As we know test can be stressful for anyone especially children and sometimes we need a reminder to just relax. There are more important things that define who we are.
Brooke Birchler
Feb 11, 2014 Brooke Birchler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, school
This would be a great book to read not only to first graders, but to any grade that is about to take some kind of standardized test. It would help the children to know that these tests do not define them as a person or define their intelligence.
Sharlene Spencer
Sep 25, 2009 Sharlene Spencer rated it really liked it
This is a story of what happens when 1st graders take a standardized test. It puts you in the mind of the students and how they are feeling. I love the way the teacher explains the test to the students. Great book to use at all levels.
Jillian Warren
This book serves as a reminder that our goal as educators should not be determined by desired test performance. It is also a good book to read to kids who are feeling test anxiety or who are feeling defeated after a test.
Chelsea
Jan 30, 2010 Chelsea rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
It was a great book about the first time testing. Especially now-a-days when there is so much stress along with taking the CRCT.
Joey Fong
Nov 20, 2011 Joey Fong rated it really liked it
A book that talks about anxiety of test taking. Teaches students that the score of a test does not define a person's capability.
Jillian Reed
Sep 27, 2012 Jillian Reed rated it it was ok
Shelves: test, school
This book confused me a little bit. The class took a test and resulted in a girl leaving throughout the day to a "special class". In the end she comes back. The message isn't really clear.
Stacie Graham
Dec 04, 2010 Stacie Graham rated it really liked it
Cute book and totally true how first graders interpret tests! useful tool when introducing standardized testing and such
Nick Shaffer
Feb 10, 2014 Nick Shaffer rated it it was amazing
A great book that would help anyone relieve first grade. Easy read that should be in every classroom.
Teri
Apr 03, 2009 Teri rated it it was amazing
I actually learned something from this book! I like the lesson being taught, and how accurately (I believe) it portrays the situation.
Katie Carlisle
May 06, 2014 Katie Carlisle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I love this book! I think this is essential to read before testing because there is so much stress put on it that children need to know it is not the most important thing they will do.
Nativida
Originally published in 1980, reissued in 2006. Standardized tests can't measure what these first graders know!
Helen Jeffries
Apr 08, 2014 Helen Jeffries rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feelings, school
A great book to teach kids that doing well on a test is not all that matters in the classroom. It helps to remind me as a teacher how students think.
Emma
Emma rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
Alyse Barker
Alyse Barker rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2014