Start by marking “Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)” as Want to Read:
Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)

Dead North (Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold #8)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  684 ratings  ·  37 reviews
With her cabin a pile of ashes and her lite in pieces, champion Alaskan "musher" Jessie Arnold has gratefully accepted a friend's proposal that she drive his motor home up from Idaho, along the Alaska Highway -- a breathtaking, two thousand-mile-long route winding past hot springs, glaciers, and ice-blue lakes. But the idyllic trip takes a dark turn when a teenage hitchhik ...more
Published April 30th 2002 by Avon Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Dead North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead North

Richard Guion
The mystery is pretty light fare, about a teenage boy, Patrick, who goes on the run after being falsely accused of a crime he didn't commit. Jesse Arnold, an Iditarod dog sled racer, does a favor for a friend by flying down to Coeur d'Alene to pick up a Winnebago motor home and drive it back to Wasilla. What I really loved about this book was the description of Jesse's drive from Canada to Alaska along the famous Alaskan Highway. I've never been on that road this book makes me want to go. The na ...more
Ann
Jessie Arnold's home in Alaska has been destroyed by an arsonist. The weather isn't good enough yet to pour the basement for her new home so she agrees to fly to Idaho to drive his newly purchased motor home back to Alaska. She meets up with Maxie, a woman who has traveled by camper for the three years since her husband's death. They, in turn, meet up with a young man who is hitchhiking to Alaska from Wyoming. The young man has something to hide and when a young man is murdered in the campground ...more
Elaine
Great descriptions of the Alaskan Highway. Great twist when Sue Henry's other heroine, Maxine and her dog Stretch ) meet up with Jesse Arnold and her husky, Tank to help a runaway they encounter while staying in a
RV park on their way home to Parmer and Homer, Alaska. Felt like got a great sense of what the Alaskan
highway is all about- I'm ready for a trip . Might even be fun to rent a Winnebago for a couple of weeks.
No worries, just the highway and spectacular scenery and unknown adventures.
Pamela Juliano-marek
This is the 8th book of Sue Henry's I've read. Keeps me looking forward to another book. I'ven read Sue's other books with Maxine & her dog Stretch. It really made the book fun & interesting that both Jessie & Maxine met up. Love that there is just enough mystery in the book to keep you wanting to turn another page & really look forward to picking the book up again. But not a gruesome kind of mystery that you can't read before going to bed at night. Loved it!
Ann
Mystery novel about a woman and her champion sled dog traveling alone in a RV on the Alaska Highway. As murders, strangers and dark secrets are intangled in her travels, you are kept on the edge of your seat, but at the same time gives the reader a beautiful armchair travel log.
I finished the book, wanting to travel along the Alaska Highway.
Dianna
Ah, I love Sue Henry's Alaska Mysteries! I could only give this one 4 stars, because Alex isn't in it aside from a brief hint. It's been a few months since I read them all, (somehow I missed this one before) and it's made me want to again :D. Jessie is amazing, and I totally love Maxie! As usual, Tank is the epitome of dogs!
Sandy
Jesse Arnold is asked by a friend to drive his motor home back from the US lower 48 to Alaska and the trip becomes fraught with danger, including murder. Jesse is unsure if she will make it back home safely and even though she meets a couple of new friends along the way is turns into a dangerous drive.
Kathleen Graler
We traveled the Alaska Highway about a year after I read this book. This was both an inspiration and my guidebook for the trip. What fun to recognize places and seek out others mentioned in the book.
Teri
Mystery Book Group choice. Good description of driving AlCan highway; some loose ends, especially regarding Butch Stinger, but these may be resolved in later titles in the series.
Robert Van Tuyl
When is a road trip a mystery? When several people are heading to Alaska with a madman searching for one of them. Lots of sights and adventure on this trip.
Cindy
This was a lanky book, fun to listen to whilst driving, and I thought often of my mother who seems independent and spunky like Maxine.
Jake
Im only 12 but i thought this book was a good adventure/mystery story.
Nicole
Liked the scenery and the switch to the new characters too.
Joan
Got half way through and couldn't put it down!!!!
Jo Anne
I pretty much have read this entire series :)
Brenda Smith
Loved it, couldn't put it down!
Hannah
May 28, 2008 Hannah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Short-stay tourists
Linda
Sue Henry outdid herself this time! I loved this book! Jesse Arnold travels the Alaska Highway with lots of adventure along the way. It was great reading about places I've been to along the Alaska Highway and I learned about places I haven't been to. Great read! I'm ready to drive it again!
Art
Good read on using the Alaskan Highway as a murder/Mystery by Family and friends.
Ms. Henry also wound in friendships formed on the road and while camping.
Added this to my "ToDo" or "Bucket List!"
Jewett
This is the best in the series so far. Jessie travels through Canada and Alaska, not behind a dog team but in a motor home. This is both a chase, a mystery and a travelog.
Demetra Smith
interesting location for an exciting mystery
Melissa
I simply enjoyed reading this one - the "mystery" wasn't much and the ended left more loose ends than resolutions, but I LOVED reading about Jessie and Maxie cruising up the Alaska Highway in their RVs and wishing I was there too...
Becky
I felt like I was crusing the Alaskan Highway with Jessie! An enjoyable read for both the scenery and the mystery. I will probably read another Sue Henry novel in the future.
Barbra
I really, really miss Alex, but did enjoy the story. I have read all of the Maxie McNabb mysteries and enjoyed reading how Jessie and Maxie came to know one another.
Cheryl
Apr 15, 2008 Cheryl rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: my friends
Recommended to Cheryl by: my sister
This was a real good book it had a few bad words in it but not bad. I would recomend it to others to read.
Matthew
Slightly more implausible than the others, with maybe too many loose ends for me.
barb
fascinating to meet people involved in the story and to have traveled this area
Suzanne
Couldn't resist the RV winding its way to Alaska. Great getaway read.
Niece
Alaska Mystery-Jesse Arnold series-Have enjoyed series!
Helen
fast-paced thriller, good characters
  • A Grave Denied (Kate Shugak, #13)
  • Blood Lure (Anna Pigeon, #9)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Kissing Babies at the Piggly Wiggly
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches ...more
More about Sue Henry...

Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1)
  • Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
  • Death Takes Passage (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #4)
  • Deadfall (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #5)
  • Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6)
  • Beneath the Ashes (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #7)
  • Cold Company (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #9)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)
Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1) Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6) The Serpents Trail (Maxie and Stretch, #1) Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11) Beneath the Ashes (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #7)