Secrets of Retail

Secrets of Retail

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Wade Williams is a prick. This wasn't always the case, but years in the soul-shattering world of retail have made Wade a bitter, cynical young man. Impeded by a lack of direction and nearly infinite levels apathy, Wade idles through his days avoiding waves of annoying customers, his obtrusive boss and any kind of work in general. When a management opportunity makes itself...more
Published April 28th 2010 by Createspace

Joanne
This is the story of Wade Williams, a Customer Service Sales Representative (salesman) in a big electronics retail store. As the book's jacket says, Wade is, quite frankly an unlikeable prick. So why do we want to know him? Well, it's because we can all relate, even if only secretly. Wade actually expresses a lot of the things each of us thinks, and wants to say, but don't dare. And because he is smart, witty, and quick. The author has a gift for dialogue, and uses it well to draw the reader in...more
Alex Hurst
"Secrets of Retail" was a story I picked up on my Kindle a long while ago, but just finally got around to reading in between one mammoth text and another.

The story is about a young man named Wade who works in an electronics store. As a supervisor in a poorly managed branch, Wade does what he can to make the days go by quickly. Most of the time this means practicing his one-liners with women and having sex whenever the uniform is off.

I used to work in retail, and his descriptions of the way emplo...more
Kristen
I don't believe the author picked up as many random women as he claimed.

Also, the editing is very poor.
Kate
The secret of retail is that most of its employees are small-minded, uneducated and self absorbed. Wade, the main character in this book, is a perfect example of that. I wasn't that enthralled with the story right up until the end, when the author really pulled it together.
Chris Czubati
good not great. though I did finish it in one day so that must Say something. Wade gets retail right and does a fine job of giving humor to customer service jobs. and the relationships that seem to develop are predictable but oh so true. Definitely worth a read.
Christine
Entertaining and seemed like it would be accurate. I didn't hate the main character the way that reviews later said many people did. His frustrations and ways of dealing with people seemed pretty natural to me.
Donna
It caught my attention since I work retail. It wasn't bad, but not my favorite. It was kind of difficult to relate to Wade sometimes, but overall, I think it was easy to relate to his overall retail experience.
Jack
Amusing story of life as a young salesperson, aside from the one-dimensional portrayal of women, but then maybe sex is all young salesmen think about.
Sushil Krishnan
very funny book about a guy who tries his hand at retail stores. Read it just after auditing a store, and could very well connect to it!
Lindsay
Laughed the whole time. Great book.
Brittany Gray
Brittany Gray marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Dillon  Clay  Asher
Dillon Clay Asher marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
DeDe
DeDe marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2014
Allysa
Allysa marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2014
V. Jáuregui
V. Jáuregui is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2014