Start by marking “The Mindfulness Revolution: Leading Psychologists, Scientists, Artists, and Meditatiion Teachers on the Power of Mindfulness in Daily Life” as Want to Read:

A growing body of scientific research indicates that mindfulness can reduce stress and improve mental and physical health. Countless people who have tried it say it's improved their quality of life. Simply put, mindfulness is the practice of paying steady and full attention, without judgment or criticism, to our moment-to-moment experience. Here is a collection of the best ...more
Published March 8th 2011 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Mindfulness Revolution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mindfulness Revolution

Christina
Mar 06, 2012 Christina rated it really liked it
I was introduced to mindfulness a year ago and realized that I already had a mindfulness practice without really knowing it. Stepping outside of my thoughts (or as the various authors refer to it, my "internal story"), I can seep back into the present moment and be a part of it. I can identify stress and not become involved with it. I can be endlessly curious on a walk I take every day. I can learn something new about the world that surrounds me and regard it with respect and wonder. Life is bri ...more
Fred Forbes
Aug 24, 2013 Fred Forbes rated it really liked it
I have a dear friend who is going through some personal difficulties that I would have found very tough to handle. When I asked how she is able to deal with the situation with such equanimity she credited her mindfulness training which piqued my interest. I decided to look into the topic and chose this book as a starting point. It is great for that since the topic chapters only run a few pages and are varied enough that most will find something of interest as the books reviews mindfulness as it ...more
Zoë
Dec 29, 2014 Zoë rated it liked it
I learned a lot! I hadn't realized just how many facets of life can be influenced by mindfulness.
Jane
Feb 02, 2012 Jane rated it really liked it
Some of these essays are things I've heard before and many surprise me by looking at something like computer use or our ideas about money in a mindful and slightly Zen way. I'm particularly interested in an essay on living with chronic pain and another on mindfulness and children. The wisdom in the book is simple, straightforward, and I guess you could even say, predictable, but it still surprises me. I don't often juxtapose ideas about mindfulness and money. Of course, it makes perfect sense, I ...more
Oswego Public Library District
Excellent compilation of brief essays on the subject of mindfulness. This is useful to both beginners and for those looking for a refresher. Many well-known experts contribute their particular view on the value and exercise of mindfulness practices. Divided into categories including basic information, daily life activities, health and healing, and interpersonal relationships. Highlights the rewards for embracing mindfulness and demonstrates how to go about it. Easy to read in short segments. -GD ...more
Jessica
Feb 03, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
When I first started reading this, I thought to myself: "I don't get it. It's all over the place; what are they trying to do here? 'fierce contemplatives'--what the heck?"

After awhile, though, I relaxed into it and realized that each author was approaching the topic of mindfulness from a slightly different perspective. While some chapters were very meaningful to me, different chapters will be more meaningful to others.

If you're thinking about incorporating mindfulness into your life and aren't
Christopher
Mar 15, 2016 Christopher rated it it was amazing
Such an amazing book! It features a collection of various authors, teachers, practitioners from various walks of life and discusses in great detail the importance of mindfulness and how the practice is taking shape in the world.

This is not written from a religious perspective though there are some religious writers and articles in here. Here you will find many different articles ranging from beginning mindfulness meditation to how to practice mindfulness with your kids and how to eat mindfully.

A
JDK1962
Oct 12, 2015 JDK1962 rated it it was ok
Nothing special. A grab bag of articles, some more successful than others. Lots of talking about how great meditation is, not that much that's actionable in creating or developing a practice. If I thought of the book as a collection of dharma talks instead, I imagine my rating might go to three stars. But I didn't find it all that engaging to just read through.

A pet peeve: something is not a "revolution" just because one declares it so. Revolution is a fundamental change at the society level. I
Lynn
Jun 21, 2013 Lynn rated it liked it
This compendium of articles by some of the primary researchers, teachers, and writers on mindfulness will be helpful to me in the classroom when I want good, short, introductory material for students...otherwise I'm not sure I would recommend it for any serious student of mindfulness, as there is nothing new here. May be good for a beginner who's overwhelmed, and doesn't know where to start, though: you could find a writer you resonate with and then dive deeper into that person's work.
Gloria
Feb 02, 2013 Gloria rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Connie Sterling
I LOVED how this book presented mindfulness from a variety of perspectives. Counter to the belief that mindfulness can only be experienced sitting on a mat in a monastery, each contributing author demonstrates how mindfulness can involve a variety of techniques and be incorporated into all aspects of our lives. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to enhance their well-being through the gentle power of mindfulness.
Amanda
Jul 24, 2013 Amanda rated it liked it
This book had some great moments throughout, but the setup felt disjointed. It's just one essay after another and sometimes it doesn't flow well from one topic to the next. I would have preferred a book that chose a specific aspect of mindfulness or at least narrowed its focus a bit ... but some of the essays really made me think, and inspired me to look into different areas of mindfulness and meditation on my own.
Anthony
Nov 25, 2011 Anthony rated it really liked it
This book is comprised of chapters written by different individuals. Because of that, each chapter is very powerful in its topic. You will definately learn a thing or two by reading this book. I found this book useful for those who understand mindfulness and mental clarity.
Ashwin
Jul 15, 2015 Ashwin rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-development
A very nice collection of essays on Mindfulness. If you are trying to apply some mindful principles to your everyday life, this book can be a good starting point. Though few essays were a bit slow, most of them are exactly around the topic and quite useful. A recommended read.
Toppy
Jan 10, 2013 Toppy rated it really liked it
A varied collection of fascinating perspectives on both the benefits of minfulness and the ways to incorporate it into your life.
Steve Butzel
Apr 15, 2011 Steve Butzel is currently reading it
Shelves: buddhism
So far, it is excellent.
Tony
Feb 08, 2014 Tony rated it it was amazing
This one of the best mind progressing and mind expanding books out there!
Sarah rated it really liked it
Oct 29, 2012
Amanda Sullivan
Amanda Sullivan rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2013
John
John rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Rachelle
Rachelle rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Katie Richards
Katie Richards rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Laura Busch
Laura Busch rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2013
Joe
Joe rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2014
Spamblok
Spamblok rated it it was amazing
Jul 07, 2012
Fariha Akhter
Fariha Akhter rated it it was amazing
Apr 17, 2016
Jordan Littman
Jordan Littman rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2017
Lucia Gannon
Lucia Gannon rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2013
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2016
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Bringing Home the Dharma: Awakening Right Where You Are
  • Calming Your Anxious Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Anxiety, Fear, and Panic
  • Happiness Is an Inside Job: Practicing for a Joyful Life
  • Going on Being: Buddhism and the Way of Change
  • Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way: Creating Happiness with Meditation, Yoga, and Ayurveda
  • The Power of an Open Question: A Buddhist Approach to Abiding in Uncertainty
  • Sailing Home: Using the Wisdom of Homer's Odyssey to Navigate Life's Perils and Pitfalls
  • Insight Meditation: A Psychology of Freedom
  • The Mind's Own Physician: A Scientific Dialogue with the Dalai Lama on the Healing Power of Meditation
  • A Mindful Nation: How a Simple Practice Can Help Us Reduce Stress, Improve Performance, and Recapture the American Spirit
  • Happiness: Essential Mindfulness Practices
  • The Mindful Therapist: A Clinician's Guide to Mindsight and Neural Integration
  • The Gifted Adult: A Revolutionary Guide for Liberating Everyday Genius
  • Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond: A Meditator's Handbook
  • 5 Simple Steps to Take Your Marriage from Good to Great
  • Crazybusy: Overstretched, Overbooked, and about to Snap! Strategies for Coping in a World Gone Add
  • The Mindful Leader: Ten Principles for Bringing Out the Best in Ourselves and Others
  • The Healing Promise of Qi: Creating Extraordinary Wellness with Qigong and Tai Chi