Start by marking “Murder and the First Lady (Eleanor Roosevelt, #1)” as Want to Read:
Murder and the First Lady (Eleanor Roosevelt, #1)

Murder and the First Lady (Eleanor Roosevelt #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  27 reviews
A young woman who is in Mrs. Roosevelt's employ is suspected in the murder of her boyfriend. Mrs. Roosevelt is certain that the young woman (Pamela) is innocent and with the help of a few officials, sets out to prove it. This is not an easy task, since the murdered boyfriend is the son of a Congressman who doesn't take too kindly to Mrs. Roosevelt's involvement, especially ...more
Published September 1st 1992 by Avon Books (Mm) (first published 1984)

Ellen Moore
I liked this book. Elliott Roosevelt painted a good picture of his parents while they were living in the White House. Mrs. Roosevelt's tenacity and her enthusiasm for causes in which she believed was quite evident as she investigated a murder charge against a young woman she employed in the White House. I found the descriptions of persons like J. Edgar Hoover very interesting. The cooperation of several important persons with Mrs. Roosevelt and the surprise twists and turns of their investigatio ...more
Mary
I stumbled across this book at the Library's annual book sale and kept it in my library for the time I'd be filled with DC inspiration (which was last weekend). Elliott Roosevelt is noted as the author but sources I've checked into state that he probably had ghost writers. Regardless, they've captured Eleanor and Franklin in the persona I imagined them to be. It's a wonderful read, with or without that DC inspiration. I'm anxious to purchase the other books in the series!
Susan Jo Grassi
The very first in the series. I remember Mrs. Roosevelt even though I was only a child when she died. Her son, Elliott, did her justice in the books he wrote about her. They bring back an era that few of us remember but is recent enough for all of us to have heard of. I have read several of the books in the series but could never find the first three. I have them now and look forward to reading the other two.
Susan
This was a simple, fun little mystery. Not much to it, but it was interesting to watch Eleanor Roosevelt meddle in the mystery, and to see her interactions with other historical Washington figures (e.g., FDR, J. Edgar Hoover). We're also given a subtle glimpse into their son's perception of Eleanor & FDR's relationship, fictionalized though it may be.
Lisa
Nov 19, 2010 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Lisa by: my Aunt Carol
Towards the end the story line seemed to be on replay. Overall it really was a good story. It was interesting to catch a glimpse into social standards and life during the FDR era. I'd read another book by Elliott Roosevelt should I have the opportunity to get my hands on one.
Jim
I loved it! It's a fun peek into the 'war years' of the Roosevelts, and America. Eleanor has always been an interesting and inspiring figure, and now this series adds another playful side to her. Although it's known that her son did not write this, it's still worth a read.
Helene Slowik
an interesting look at the world of the White House written by someone who was there. engaging and fun. first in a series worth following.
Tiffany
This didn't get five stars from me because "Oh my God, this is the Great American Novel." It got five stars from me because it was a good, cozy, mystery read. It starts as one mystery, but then includes other unsolved mysteries and new mysteries; it was well-written (which, sadly, tends to get books bonus points from me. Shouldn't *all* professionally published books be well-written?); it's historical fiction; the characters are well-developed (which, I'm guessing, is a result of being the child ...more
Linda
Good detective yarn with Mrs. Roosevelt playing detective. This was a strong start to the series and I enjoyed the story. It was also fun to see real people from history making cameo appearances because they were meeting with the President.
Connie N.
#1 in the Eleanor Roosevelt series. I liked the mystery, being surprised at the end with the identity of the culprit. It's set in the 1930's, of course, during the White House years of FDR. It's interesting to see Eleanor as the heroine, but quite believable since she is certainly well-known as a strong and independent woman. The book, written in 1984, seemed a bit dated, but it kept my interest. I will definitely read more from this series.
Hillary
I thought this book would be really cheesy. The idea of a first lady being an amateur sleuth seemed pretty ridiculous, but when I found out that the author is the son of Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt, curiosity got the better of me. I was pleasantly surprised. It truly kept me guessing until the very end. An unexpected fun read.
Amy
My mother, an avid reader with my taste in books, gave me two of Mr. Roosevelt's books. I never knew that FDR and Eleanor's son was a mystery writer. How interesting it is to get an inside look into life in the White House during and right before WWII.
Rachel
It was a fun read, not the most intellectual writing, but a fun little cozy.
Carol Benton
Elliott's narrative shows in fiction the fine line Eleanor Roosevelt had to walk in history during a time when women were not expected to insert themselves into the men's worlds of politics or police work.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Eleanor Roosevelt (first in series); first lady investigates murder when her English assistant is accused; various people from the era show up in the book
Francine
Smart fiction; gives a window into the FDR Administtration as well as a glimpse into the personal lives of Franklin and Eleanor.
The mystery had a surprise ending for me.
Daniel
What a great introduction to the Cozy Mystery genre. This is a fun, simple, clean murder mystery. It would make a great afternoon read.
It has been a long time since I have read this, but as I remeber it it was good. A very good murder story, it kept you wanting more.
Janene
The Elliott Roosevelt mysteries are wonderful for letting you see into the life of Eleanor Roosevelt and the political times.
Dana
So much fun. Though it is a bit scratchy, try and get the Recorded Books audio version. Super amusing and well done.
Judy
Entertaining with a silly but plausible twist at the end. How great would it be if it really happened!
Leslie Lamb
An entertaining book having Eleanor Roosevelt play an unofficial detective. A fun fictional mystery.
Cindy
This was the first book in the series and so the characters were introduced in high style.
ChrisGA
Interesting but slow moving
An interesting idea of Eleanor Roosevelt as an amateur detective.
Lynn
A fun read.
Dana
Using his mother, who just happens to be Eleanor Roosevelt , as the protaganist detective in his murder mysteries keeps them interesting and historically informative and very funny at times!
Raeshma
Raeshma marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
  • Murder at the President's Door (Eleanor Roosevelt, #20)
  • Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)
  • The Palace Guard (Kelling & Bittersohn, #3)
  • A Fete Worse Than Death (Jack Haldean Murder Mystery #1)
  • You May Now Kill the Bride (Carnegie Kincaid, #5)
  • The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree (The Darling Dahlias #1)
Elliott Roosevelt (September 23, 1910 – October 27, 1990) was an United States Army Air Forces officer and an author. Roosevelt was a son of U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt.
More about Elliott Roosevelt...

Eleanor Roosevelt (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • The Hyde Park Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #2)
  • Murder at Hobcaw Barony (Eleanor Roosevelt, #3)
  • The White House Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #4)
  • Murder at the Palace (Eleanor Roosevelt, #5)
  • Murder in the Oval Office (Eleanor Roosevelt, #6)
  • Murder in the Rose Garden (Eleanor Roosevelt, #7)
  • Murder in the Blue Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #8)
  • A First Class Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #9)
  • Murder in the Red Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #10)
  • Murder in the West Wing (Eleanor Roosevelt, #11)
The Hyde Park Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #2) Murder in the Oval Office (Eleanor Roosevelt, #6) Murder in the Rose Garden (Eleanor Roosevelt, #7) Murder in the Blue Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #8) Murder at the Palace (Eleanor Roosevelt, #5)