Start by marking “Maigret und die widerspenstigen Zeugen” as Want to Read:
Maigret und die widerspenstigen Zeugen

Maigret und die widerspenstigen Zeugen (Maigret #53)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  183 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Eine Keksfabrik, die Kekse herstellt, die nach Pappe schmecken. Eine Familie, die so alt und heruntergekommen ist, dass es nichts mehr zu stehlen oder gar zu erben gibt. Kommissar Maigret, der den Fall nach seiner bewährten Art untersucht, indem er einfach nur da ist und wartet. Und ein arroganter junger Untersuchungsrichter mit brandneuen Methoden, mit denen er viel schne ...more
Published 2009 by Diogenes (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret und die widerspenstigen Zeugen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret und die widerspenstigen Zeugen

Nick Jones
Structurally a straightforward police procedural: there is a murder, Maigret investigates, Maigret identifies the murderer. As a whodunit it is probably a bit obvious for whodunit fans, not enough red herrings or that sort of thing, but as a detective novel where we follow the detective doing his stuff it’s very efficient. I generally don’t like whodunits: to keep us guessing the culprit is generally arbitrary: the main motive is usually the author’s need to surprise the reader. But because the ...more
A family member is shot to death in an old house; several family members were there at the time, but no one heard a thing. With no one in the household willing to help him, Maigret must draw out the truth on his own.
Lynn Michell

You can see from my book list that I've read a lot of Maigret. It's my way of learning French but after reading 31 of Simenon's mysteries starring the grumpy but lovable Maigret, I expect my vocabulary is as limited as Simenon's. These aren't Who Dun Its but Why Dun Its. Usually there is very little action, a lot of interviewing of suspects and witnesses, some back story, a description of the Seine and the weather, and some listening in to Maigret's thoughts as he puffs on his pipe.

This one is
Het is heel lang geleden dat ik een Maigret gelezen heb maar het viel zeker niet tegen. Lekker ontspannend tussendoortje met psychologische diepgang. Maigret die piekert over het ouder worden en met pensioen gaan.
Simenon certainly brought to life the dreariness of the crime scene. I ended up with a feeling of dread myself. I empathised with both Miagret andthe magistrate who both needed their place and their methods, that is in fact what brought them in conflict.
If I were to have to confess to a crime, I would prefer to do such a confession to Maigret rather than to the magistrate, he would be the most understanding.
I felt that this was a poor effort by Simenon's high standards. Usual good characterisations and Paris atmospherics but a very feeble plot. Also the book is very short, more like a novella. Disappointed.
excellant book.
C Melhuish
C Melhuish marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Ragna marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2015
Paka Wafu
Paka Wafu marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2015
Jannie marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Fenia Vazaka
Fenia Vazaka marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2015
Mary added it
Nov 01, 2015
Olena added it
Sep 22, 2015
Júlia added it
Aug 11, 2015
Rdurie marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
  • More Beer
  • La rosa di Alessandria
  • Παλιά, πολύ παλιά (Κώστας Χαρίτος, #5)
  • Una lama di luce
  • The Blackbird (Alan Grofield, #3)
  • Solea
  • The Riverside Villas Murder
  • Pearls are a Nuisance
  • Rumble Tumble (Hap and Leonard, #5)
  • Born to be a larve
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
  • Dead Man Upright (Factory #5)
  • Attenti al gorilla
  • Contes du lundi
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...

Maigret (1 - 10 of 74 books)
  • Pietr the Latvian (Maigret, #1)
  • The Carter of 'La Providence' (Maigret, #2)
  • The Late Monsieur Gallet (Maigret, #3)
  • The Hanged Man of Saint-Pholien (Maigret, #4)
  • A Man's Head