Start by marking “Get a Life, Not a Job: Are Multiple Career Acts Right for You?” as Want to Read:
Get a Life, Not a Job: Are Multiple Career Acts Right for You?

Get a Life, Not a Job: Are Multiple Career Acts Right for You?

3.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  139 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
This product is an excerpt from "Get a Life, Not a Job: Do What You Love and Let Your Talents Work For You" (ISBN: 9780137058495). Available in print and digital format. Do more of what you love, less of what you hate to build a financially secure career you can be passionate about Learn how to replace an old-fashioned job with multiple wealth-creating activities that offe ...more
Published March 5th 2010 by FT Press (first published March 3rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Get a Life, Not a Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get a Life, Not a Job

Ahmad
Dec 14, 2010 Ahmad rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not as what I expected. Even though the book containes nice advises, it can be summeriesed in 50 pages maximum.

Stories are repeated with different names. Ideas are not that original and attractive. The style of writing is highly affected by the acadimic background of the author. It's not that friendly and touching.

In conclusion, it's not the "inspiraional" book you want to change your life.

Not recommended.
stinaz
Aug 07, 2013 stinaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A roadmap that outlines real steps to take to figure out how to have a "career" that you enjoy and excel in being a productive well rounded member of society. Simple, but good advice on all areas of career development and having a "life" and not a "job" - not just about finding something you like to do, but also how to continue your development, work towards security (professionally and financially), as well as improve your well-being (for work AND life). Plus - she talks about the importance of ...more
Ltorrealba
Not what I expected: this book isn't about how to determine what your ideal career is, but rather about turning hobbies or other skills into sources of revenue - for fulfillment, stability, or future full time careers. Not what I was hoping to read but there were a couple interesting suggestions.
Hatem Bagneid
May 28, 2014 Hatem Bagneid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like
Dasa Martin
Oct 09, 2014 Dasa Martin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Don't read it.
Rebecca
If this book hadn't been free on amazon I would have been very dissapointed. I found the information basic, the exercises haphazard and the only part helpful the last page where it focuses on the employer getting to know the employee and realised that no company I had worked for (or probably will work for) would ever have any intrest in this information.
Lisa
Apr 29, 2015 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well I made attempts to read and finish this book. I really tried to enjoy the book, but just didn't. I was a little disappointed, maybe I was expecting something else and just didn't enjoy the writing.
Myriam
Aug 20, 2011 Myriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
The book itself was not all that informative for me at this stage, however, it did provide a good number of websites and resources which might be useful. In addition, it does provide some good exampled and stories on what might be interesting to think about in the future.
Deyaa Samir
Jan 25, 2013 Deyaa Samir rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You "can" design your own career, so you "love" what you do! You only have one life: why settle for anything less? Whether you're an entrepreneur or working within a company, Get a Life, Not a Job shows how you can make it happen for yourself.
Lucky
Jan 06, 2012 Lucky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this book. Actually, this was the book that pushed me to follow my dream job. The book provides strategies from getting ready to create a career, to surviving while in between job. So it's not a yabba-yabba motivating kind of book.
Roxie
Jun 19, 2012 Roxie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was ok. It provided a good background to why people don't find that one dream job and strategies to make all your skills work for you so work itself will be more fulfilling.
Paul Steele
Mar 31, 2012 Paul Steele rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
While there is some good advice in this short book, it is filled with poor examples and the points are repeated several times. Lacks real content.
Monique
May 17, 2011 Monique rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad this was a free amazon e-book but I would recommend to anyone wanting create a better life while at work.
Barrette Plett
Interesting perspective. Good points about the "new" economy that we and our youth are entering...
Paula
Jan 16, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
This book has helped me think about multi-track options for my career and life.
Rick
Oct 10, 2010 Rick rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Great book for a new college grad.
Waqas
Jul 04, 2015 Waqas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. provides much perspective.
Dhany Bagus
Nov 06, 2013 Dhany Bagus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
awesome book !
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Kristen
Kristen is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Aki
Aki added it
Apr 16, 2016
Gia Charles
Gia Charles marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Lauren
Lauren added it
Apr 10, 2016
jeannie geiger
jeannie geiger marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Pratip Vijayakumar
Pratip Vijayakumar marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2016
Paul Kaiser
Paul Kaiser rated it it was ok
Apr 01, 2016
Yimy F. Chirinos
Yimy F. Chirinos rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Eril
Eril marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
  • 15 Successful Communications Lessons (Collection)
  • In the Line of Fire: How to Handle Tough Questions When It Counts
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • The Truth About the New Rules of Business Writing (Truth About Series)
  • The Art of Asking: Ask Better Questions, Get Better Answers
  • Five Minutes on Mondays: Finding Unexpected Purpose, Peace, and Fulfillment at Work
  • Living Rich by Spending Smart: How to Get More of What You Really Want
  • Emotions
  • Retirementology: Rethinking the American Dream in a New Economy
  • The Simple Dollar: How One Man Wiped Out His Debts and Achieved the Life of His Dreams
  • The Truth About Negotiations
  • The Lazy Project Manager: How to be Twice as Productive and Still Leave the Office Early
  • You Majored in What?: Mapping Your Path From Chaos to Career
  • 33 Million People in the Room: How to Create, Influence, and Run a Successful Business with Social Networking
  • Overcoming Perfectionism: The Key to a Balanced Recovery
  • So, You Want to Start a Business?: 8 Steps to Take Before Making the Leap
  • Leading at a Higher Level: Blanchard on Leadership and Creating High Performing Organizations
  • The Truth About Managing People...And Nothing But the Truth

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »