Start by marking “The Reluctant Mage” as Want to Read:
The Reluctant Mage

The Reluctant Mage (The Fisherman's Children #2)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  2,676 ratings  ·  65 reviews
It's been many months since Rafel ventured over Barl's Mountains into the unknown, in a desperate bid to seek help for their ravaged land. With his father's Weather Magic exhausted, there seemed no other hope. Now this too has died.
Only Deenie believes Rafel still lives, sensing her brother in tortured dreams. She also knows she must try to find him, as only Rafel's talen...more
Published July 28th 2010 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Reluctant Mage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Reluctant Mage

Dave
I have read the previous books from this series a while ago, and I liked them. Somehow I only picked this one up recently.

This time we follow Deenie, Asher's daughter, who is nicknamed Mouse. Without giving spoilers, Deenie, together with her sharp-tongued friend Charis, sets out to rescue her brother Rafe from the clutches of the evil sorcerer Morg. Karen Miller again develops some interesting characters, who have sufficient depth. Especially the development of Deenie from a mouse to a strong m...more
Robert
I enjoyed this book, but several things spoiled it for me:
1. The Yoda-speak I very much did not like - maybe not Yoda, but more old time Music Hall style Welsh without the the "Look you". Whatever it was, it became very irritating after a couple of pages.
2. I never did find Asher sympathetic and Rafel is not much better, but Deenie! The number of times I wanted to give her a good smack as - right at the most crucial, dangerous moments - she goes into a kind of Thomas Covenant act, or rather she...more
Marshall Bruno
The final chapter in theoffice Mage series by Karen Miller has it's high points and some serious annoying points as well.

While it is an entertaining story and packed full of the magic we've been wanting since The Innocent Mage, Dennie and Charis' moping and weeping got so annoying. I would really like to know how many time weep wept or weeping were used, as it must be a ludicrous amount.

I gave it four stars because apart from that bother, the story was compelling, chock full of magic and advent...more
Anne Hamilton
The conclusion to The Fisherman's Children saga.

Spoilers follow.

Asher, the Innocent Mage, is in a coma. Any hope of his saving Lur is absurd at best.

Rafe, his son and a peerless mage, has been possessed by Morg who has not only returned but desires a body for his re-conquest of all the lands he once ruled. Any hope of his saving himself, let alone Lur, is more than absurd.

Rafe's nemesis, Arlin Garrick, is now Morg's trusted servant - if, of course, Morg trusts anyone. Arlin is playing a dangerou...more
Phule77 Erickson
And so it resolves. Still a good yarn, worth reading...but there's so much going on, in so many different places, and a lot of it feels like foregone conclusions. Introducing new characters in this book allows, I suppose, for some sort of resolution, but some of it feels a little too late. Probably the weakest of the series.
Mark
I wasn't all that impressed with the first book, way too much whining and and irrational actions by the characters (Asher & Dathne I'm looking at you) but the second book is a bit better. It leaves the angst behind and gets to the meat of actually doing something. Still not as good as the first series.
N. Sherman
Christine
Jun 01, 2012 Christine rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy Readers
Definitely a step up from the Prodigal Mage.

This is due mostly to the increase in action and adventure in this book that wasn't in the previous one. Deenie and Charis finally decide to do something and become far more interesting as characters. Every character, who had changed very little since the first series, grows into herself/himself far more.

I never really cared much about the viewpoints of Deenie and Charis, but they improved so much during this novel it stopped bothering me after I star...more
Katherine
Now this one was a bit better. The action starts to happen and there is the introduction of some other countries in the world. There is even a map at the beginning, the sign of a true fantasy novel!

Unfortunately Miller's stylistic irritations are still there, the characters continue to interrupt each other for no reason. And this time I thought that Miller might not have reached her official word count, as the characters are always calling out "Deenie" for no reason, adding to the pointlessness...more
Adela Bezemer-Cleverley
Jennavier
The reluctant mage steps up from the depths of awful plumbed by it's predecessor but that only means it's my second least favorite book of hers, not my first. Miller is a talented author who is revisiting the world of her first series. I have been so frustrated by these books. In many ways it's because a lot of the gains of her first series are lost. In fact, much of what I loved about this world is gone.
The Reluctant mage features Deenie, a character I found fun and interesting. She's going to...more
Amanda
2 1/2 stars. It's really more of the same problems as Rafel's book-pacing, insufficient character development, predictable plot moves. The new country and characters she introduces also have extremely annoying speech patterns.Miller tries to replace Asher and Gar with another homosocial relationship: Deenie and Charis, but neither have enough character development to really match the first books. Again the pacing is kind of off-with 3 separate storylines and probably like 70% of Deenie's storyli...more
Amanda Mastran
Maria
This is my favorite so far of Miller's books set in this world. Deenie is a much more relatable character, probably because, unlike Rafel, her defining characteristic is something other than merely being Asher's child. She may be anxious and physically weak, but she has backbone, which makes her a more interesting and realistic main character than someone who is rough and strong. She also changes a lot as the story progresses, much more than her father or brother do in earlier books.
Christina
Dave Hepworth
I'd like to write a long review of this title (and series of the Fishermans children). I'd like to describe the land, the plot, the characters, the emotional attachment that builds from the very start. But I couldn't do it justice.
Loved this and all the following books. If only I could write as well.
Brilliant! Read it! You'll get hooked if you have any taste.
(I've actually read them all 3 times and am about to start them again)
Jurgen
Too geared towards female audience and perhaps not suited for older readers either.

Silly emotional reactions in times of peril reminiscent of bad horror movies. Messy dialogue, arguments devoid of logic for all characters, just emotional stabbing and keeping secrets for no reason other than to cause more silly arguments.

I actually dont mind the speech patterns, but the frequent use of 'noddyhead' was a bit childish.

Even though sometimes excessive, the emotional descriptions and developments ar...more
Sigrún
Others have written reviews enough, so there is no point in repeating words.

My only lament about this book is that I wish we found out more about the epilogue. I want to know what happened to the Olken, the Doranen, and the other kingdoms in twenty+ years. Perhaps the author is planning to write more about the future, but even still, it would be a nice finish to see the endings play out for good.
R2geek2
Karen Miller is a master of words. The transition from the characters' of The Innocent Mage and The Awakened Mage to the younger generation was seamless and professional. And her writing - OMG her writing - is... well there is no words to describe how descriptive and flowing it is. In a scene between two grown men she managed to make the elder tell the younger how much he was loved in such a manly and heart wrenching way that it touched my soul: Fuck the sword. A Blight of Mages is next on my li...more
Peter
It has been months since the expedition with Asher's Olken son, Rafel, and the Doran Arlin Garrick crossed the mountains of Barl, in search of some magic to fix the devastating weather problems in Lur and the problems of the Innocent Mage himself, caused by the dark mage Morg.

Asher appears to be in a coma, not responding or giving any sign of life. His wife sits by his bed day and night and is on the brink of exhaustion.

When Gardenia - Deenie - their daughter feels that things are only getting...more
Vincent
no spoilers, no detailed description, no wordy review. I like some of Karen Miller's books and I love others. I loved this one. If you've read the series, read this. That's all.
Fred
This book took a reeeeeeally long time for me to get through. Far longer than it usually does. I was not really a fan of it. The first two books in this series were good, this one (#4) and the one preceding it were . . . meh. I will say that the last 100, maybe 150 pages of this book went faster and things were happening enough that it saved the book. Otherwise it probably would have taken me another two weeks to get through it. Unless you're just dying to read this I would say move on to anothe...more
Jenni
Typical fantasy series, fun but nothing special
Siriusstar Desrosiers
This one was MUCH better than the previous book in the duology! This book had all the action and plot development missing in Prodigal Mage. It was an incredibly fast and exciting read. I even stayed up until after 9AM to finish it! That hasn't happened since Prisoner of Azkaban back in 2001. It was not a ground-breaking book. The characters are good, but not terribly unusual. If you've read enough fantasy, you've probably seen this kind of story before. But it WAS good, fun, exciting and very co...more
Tsukino Hikaru
Nice way to finish the series, though it got a bit... predictable. As soon as Ewen was introduced I knew he was Deenie's love interest, and things went pretty much exactly as I expected from there. I didn't get this from the other books so I was kinda surprised to see it become that predictable. Still, I enjoyed the story and seeing everything finally resolved, though it'd be interesting to skip another generation and see how the world has settled in by the time Deenie's kids begin to grow up an...more
Esther
the overusage of certain words...like slumscumbeldy.. bumped it down a whole star.
Jill
I always thoroughly enjoy her stories. Admittedly, her pace sometimes gets slow and it takes what seems like an eternity to get from one action point to another. But in the end the story is well-worth the wait.
Kevin Jones
Finally some suspense, action and an antagonist that the reader can despise. I really enjoyed reading how the characters matured and found myself willing them to overcome their obstacles throughout. My only criticism of all the Lur based books is that Morg, as a name, just doesn't sound scary.

I'm glad I've found Karen Miller, her books come to life in the final few chapters, leaving me wanting more.
Jenn
I really enjoyed this book. I could not put it down. I love how Ms. Miller writes her characters I even like that she has them bickering because it adds to the reality of the characters. She made them real people for me.

The only down part was the use of the "f-word" which even though it was used only 3 times in 2 pages and then never again was somewhat annoying. Just a person pet peeve.
Kamran Warsi
Stunning finish to one of my favorite series' of all time! Karen Miller does a great job of showing Deenie go from the mouse to the lion. Action packed the whole way and just the right mix of happiness and hardship throughout!

Introducing all the other countries that were suffering because of Morg was great. At the end it all just came together and all your questions were just answered.
  • Wizard Undercover (Rogue Agent, #4)
  • Stormlord's Exile (Watergivers #3)
  • The Rogue (Traitor Spy Trilogy, #2)
  • Dark Lady's Chosen (Chronicles of the Necromancer, #4)
  • Bridge of Souls (The Quickening, #3)
  • The Uncrowned King (King Rolen's Kin, #2)
  • The Twilight Herald (Twilight Reign, #2)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. Please see this thread for more details.

Also writes as "K.E. Mills"

Lord, do you really want to know?

Oh, all right.

I was born in Vancouver, Canada, and came to Australia with my parents when I was 2. I think. Dad’s an Aussie, Mum’s English, go figure. Talk about Fate and Destiny. But three passports come in hand...more
More about Karen Miller...
The Innocent Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #1) The Awakened Mage (Kingmaker, Kingbreaker, #2) Empress (Godspeaker Trilogy #1) The Prodigal Mage (The Fisherman's Children, #1) Hammer of God (Godspeaker Trilogy, #3)