Imperial America: Reflections on the United States of Amnesia

Imperial America: Reflections on the United States of Amnesia

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Gore Vidal has been described as the last ‘noble defender" of the American republic. In Imperial America, Vidal steals the thunder of a right wing America—those who have camouflaged their extremist rhetoric in the Old Glory and the Red, White, and Blue—by demonstrating that those whose protest arbitrary and secret government, those who defend the bill of rights, those who...more
Published August 17th 2005 by Nation Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Imperial America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Imperial America

The Constitution of the United States of America by Founding FathersThe Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the U... by Thomas JeffersonThe Federalist Papers by Alexander HamiltonGreen Illusions by Ozzie ZehnerThe Revolution by Ron Paul
Best Books to Become an Informed Voter
91st out of 656 books — 815 voters
Fast Food Nation by Eric SchlosserThe Family by Jeff SharletBeing and Homelessness by John H. SibleyC Street by Jeff SharletPerpetual War for Perpetual Peace by Gore Vidal
The Crisis in America
31st out of 76 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Jason
Our problems seem new because, as a nation of people, we are disconnected from our history. Much of this writing is from the late 80's and still apply today. We live in such a vacuum called reality TV. wake up.
columbialion
Jan 08, 2010 columbialion rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to columbialion by: Self
Brilliant indictment of the lack of political awareness of the American citizenry in electing government, and it's consequences.
Timothy Fitzgerald
I found a lot of the Nixon and Reagan era articles to be very enlightening. I think Vidal exposes some intrinsic flaws within our government. I do think, though, that he may be a little heavy on the conspiracy theories. I think he may give a little too much credit to the powers that be in terms of their ability to put policies into play that influence complex end games years in advance.
Kevin
All but about 40 pages here are reprinted from the big Collected Essays volume (and not to carefully proofread here), but I can't think about Obama's drones without wishing Vidal was still around to excoriate him in print. It's good to be reminded about what changes and doesn't in American politics, but this selection is a bit repetitious to be read straight through.
Indi Martin
Oct 14, 2009 Indi Martin rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Not my Dad!
Shelves: read-was-ok
If you like Michael Moore, you may like Gore Vidal - except he's considerably more extreme. I agree with many of his more salient points; at times he loses even me, and I doubt there are many liberals more liberal than I am out there. Still, pretty much everything he says about W feels spot-on to me.
Lisa
I heart Gore Vidal. Fiction, non-fiction, whatever. Fabulous, opinionated, crazy, commie-pinko, who's now an octagenarian and still trying to whip people into a frenzy to have a second Constitutional Convention. Good times.
Tomas
Reading this book, and probably any book of political essays by Vidal, is to remove the veil between political fantasy and political reality.
Dennis
Insightful essays on the current condition of America by the brilliant Gore Vidal..
Joseph
He really doesn't write bad books
Gerry Riguera
A very informative book.
Lulu
Lulu added it
Aug 20, 2014
Daniel Muncey
Daniel Muncey marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Sophie Feng
Sophie Feng marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Lidija S.  di Cattuni
Lidija S. di Cattuni marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Larisa
Larisa marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Alex Birnel
Alex Birnel marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Michael Mcdonough
Michael Mcdonough marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Tina Smith
Tina Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Shaunessy Mckay
Shaunessy Mckay marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
To those goring Gore Vidal.... 1 4 Mar 23, 2008 10:28PM
  • American Power and the New Mandarins: Historical and Political Essays
  • Terrorism and War
  • Politics Lost: How American Democracy Was Trivialized By People Who Think You're Stupid
  • Crossing the Rubicon: The Decline of the American Empire at the End of the Age of Oil
  • Chain of Command: The Road from 9/11 to Abu Ghraib
  • Moral Minority: Our Skeptical Founding Fathers
  • The Holocaust Industry: Reflections on the Exploitation of Jewish Suffering
  • The Court of the Last Tsar: Pomp, Power and Pageantry in the Reign of Nicholas II
  • The Thirteen American Arguments: Enduring Debates That Define and Inspire Our Country
  • Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights
  • Crashing the Party: Taking on the Corporate Government in an Age of Surrender
Eugene Luther Gore Vidal was an American writer known for his essays, novels, screenplays, and Broadway plays. He was also known for his patrician manner, Transatlantic accent, and witty aphorisms. Vidal came from a distinguished political lineage; his grandfather was the senator Thomas Gore, and he later became a relation (through marriage) to Jacqueline Kennedy.

Vidal ran for political office twi...more
More about Gore Vidal...