Start by marking “The Best Werewolf Short Stories 1800-1849: A Classic Werewolf Anthology” as Want to Read:
The Best Werewolf Short Stories 1800-1849: A Classic Werewolf Anthology

Read Book

The Best Werewolf Short Stories 1800-1849: A Classic Werewolf Anthology

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  25 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Transformation of the werewolf in literature made its greatest strides in the 19th century when the shape-shifting monster leapt from poetry to the short story. It happened when this shorter form of literature was morphing into darker shapes thanks in no small part to Edgar Allan Poe, Honor de Balzac, E. T. A. Hoffmann, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Prosper Mrime, James Hogg, and s ...more
Published May 7th 2010 by Bottletree Books

To ask other readers questions about The Best Werewolf Short Stories 1800-1849, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Werewolf Short Stories 1800-1849

Victoria
Mar 02, 2016 Victoria rated it it was amazing

Werewolves have seen a rise in popularity especially in the last few years, and have been into different transformations and evolution before being adapted into popular culture.

This is why it is doubly interesting and wonderful to know that such an anthology exists, not only for those who are werewolf enthusiasts, but for others who maintain even a general mild interest in these creatures.

Andrew Barger has collected and curated some of the most important short stories on werewolves and the coll
Gothic Readers Book Club
Jan 02, 2014 Gothic Readers Book Club rated it it was amazing
GOTHIC READERS BOOK CLUB CHOICE AWARD WINNER

Although lycanthropy and shapeshifting legends have existed for countless centuries, werewolves are not considered a staple of the Gothic literary tradition. Editor Andrew Barger gives us evidence to the contrary with his collection of the best of the wolf stories from the early modern period. Many of these stories have not been republished in over 150 years. There are more than just ghosts and vampires lurking in the 1800s!

If You Like: Edgar Allan Poe
Shelbie  Knight
Feb 20, 2014 Shelbie Knight rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to receive this copy! Reading it, amazing! Seeing where literature, in the world of the paranormal, has come in the years since...absolutely incredible! This book is truly a treasure and I will keep it as such for many years to come! Thank you so very much! =)
Heather
May 30, 2012 Heather rated it did not like it
really tried to read this book and unfortunately, it was not for me. I do like horror short stories, but I didn't think about the time period when I entered the giveaway. I read for pleasure and I couldn't enjoy myself for trying to decipher the period language. Sorry to the editor, but i feel I would have enjoyed it if it were more readable, but I understand the idea was to get stories from a certain time period.
Duckie
Jun 03, 2012 Duckie rated it liked it
A good collection of early short stories, marred by a few typos. Also, the collection of words for which the editor provided definitions in the footnotes was something of an odd selection, as if the editor wasn't really sure of his audience.
Brittany
Feb 08, 2014 Brittany rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
I don't know if its because I haven't read a book like this before or because the layout is very complicated. it was difficult to engage in this anthology.
Anikma
Anikma marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
Roland Campos
Roland Campos marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Lionel Godolphin
Lionel Godolphin marked it as to-read
May 28, 2016
danny
danny marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 23, 2016
Rachel Hall
Rachel Hall marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Brandon Longstreth
Brandon Longstreth marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Jenny Boundy
Jenny Boundy marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Tareq
Tareq is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2016
Dan Grise
Dan Grise marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Stephanie McGarrah
Stephanie McGarrah marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2016
Supratim Bose
Supratim Bose marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
mary
mary marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Lisa Foster
Lisa Foster marked it as to-read
DalaiMommaReadingDrama
DalaiMommaReadingDrama marked it as to-read
Clary Elena
Clary Elena marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2015
  • The Mora (Liminality, #2)
  • All My Crimes
  • Curse of the Full Moon: A Werewolf Anthology
  • The Vampire Archives
  • Year's Best Fantasy
  • Vampires, Zombies, Werewolves and Ghosts: 25 Classic Stories of the Supernatural
  • The Magdalena Curse
  • Bedtime Stories for the Insomniac
  • The Beast of Bray Road: Tailing Wisconsin's Werewolf
  • True Stories Told By a Liar
  • The Mammoth Book of Wolf Men
  • Say No to Sparkles
  • Futures Imperfect
  • A Prescription for Delirium (Van Helsing Organization, #1)
  • The Dark Side: Tales of Terror and the Supernatural
  • Vampires and Vampirism
  • Writers of the Future Volume 29
  • Werewolves: A Field Guide to Shapeshifters, Lycanthropes, and Man-Beasts
I just edited two classic anthologies - Middle Unearthed: The Best Fantasy Short Stories 1800-1849 along with Mesaerion: The Best Science Fiction Short Stories 1800-1849.

I am the author of "The Divine Dantes" trilogy that is a laugh-out-loud rock love story following the characters of "The Divine Comedy" in modern times.

I also penned the awarding book "Coffee with Poe: A Novel of Edgar Allan Poe's
More about Andrew Barger...

“The short story is not, as some believe, a lesser form of literature than the novel.” 4 likes