Start by marking “Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)” as Want to Read:
Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy, #8)

Poisoned Pins (Claire Malloy #8)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  502 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Claire Malloy loves her life. But how did it go by so fast? A bookstore owner, part-time sleuth, and full-time single mother, Claire is about to turn the big four-oh! Good thing her teenage daughter, Caron, has just been recruited by the Kappa Theta Eta girls--whose sorority house is next door to the Malloys'--to be a consultant for the cosmetics empire My Beautiful Self, ...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Poisoned Pins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poisoned Pins

Alannah Davis
It's been awhile since I've read Joan Hess's Claire Malloy series. I'd forgotten how much I love it. The writing is extremely entertaining and doesn't take itself too seriously. It's very refreshing, especially these days when there are a glut of cozy mysteries whose authors take themselves and their heroines way too seriously.

In "Poisoned Pins," bookstore owner Claire is approaching 40 and trying to cope with the latest antics of her 15-year-old daughter, Caron, who has been recruited by the so
Dharia Scarab

Conventional Corpse
Out on a Limb
Goodby Body
Ann Marie
Typical Joan Hess. If you like the Claire Malloy series you will enjoy this one. A few surprises. Light mystery. I enjoyed it.
Charlene Gordon
Ok book. Read this in 1998.
Lorraine
Good summertime read.
Sandy Weir
My friend Susan gave me the first book in the series and I am off trying to assemble and enjoy all of the rest! I enjoy the relationship Mrs Malloy has with her daughter (I often feel like the conversation is in thought bubbles). The character Inez helps this be very smooth. I liked the comments on sorority life and teen's impressions of budgeting.
Carole
Joan Hess writes two series, both set in Arkansas, and both with mixtures of humor and mystery. This series is about Claire Malloy, a bookstore owner in a small college town, who's always getting involved in murders and suffering through her teenaged daughter's moods and schemes. This time Claire gets mixed up with a sorority next door to her apartment.
Alison
This book is somewhere in the middle of the series...I probably should have searched out the first one. I just didn't care for the main character that much (maybe because I jumped in and don't know all the history there). I didn't care for how sarcastic she was about her daughter but maybe I'll appreciate that more when I have a teenage daughter!
Mary Newcomb
Claire Malloy, bookseller and mother to drama queen Caron, meets her neighbors. These are not ordinary neighbors, these are the women of Kappa Theta Eta. Amidst screams, a mysterious death, a gambling raid and more Claire figures out that all is not well. This is not high brow mystery but an entertaining read.
Mary  (Biblophile)
Another enjoyable Claire Malloy cozy. Caron and Inez, as usual are a hoot. Caron informs Claire that she is going to become rich enough to buy a car by selling cosmetics. Unfortunately, girls at the local college sorority are being murdered. Enter Claire who tees off Lt.Rosen to no end.
Debbie
The whole Claire Malloy series by Joan Hess is among my favorites. I have read many if almost all of them. I love the interplay between mother and daughter in the books and the humor. It is light reading and great for a laugh.
Emily Corse
I actually prefer the Maggody books. The main characters in the Meloy books are just relentlessly cranky, whiny, and unlikeable. They tire me. Probably serves me right for trying to read cozy mysteries.
Lizz
This was the first, and last, book that I read from the Claire Malloy series. Although I love cozy mysteries, it was still too simplistic and cutsie for me.
Shirley
Always like the sarcastic wit of Joan Hell, and her plot is generally good as well, but always need to let a little time go by in between reading her.
Marcia
This is a delightful Hess mystery set in a small college town. Hess weaves a murder mystery into summer school and sorority secrets.
Libby
Cute! Not the best but definitely enjoyable or readable.
Judi
Cute story, a quick and easy read.
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
  • Something Wicked (Death on Demand, #3)
  • War and Peas (Jane Jeffry, #8)
  • The Only Good Yankee
  • Resort to Murder (Henrie O, #6)
  • Murder in the Queen's Armes (Gideon Oliver, #3)
  • Bum Steer (Jenny Cain, #6)
  • Mama Gets Hitched (A Mace Bauer Mystery #3)
Joan Hess is the author of both the Claire Malloy and the Maggody mystery series. She is a winner of the American Mystery Award, a member of Sisters in Crime, and a former president of the American Crime Writers League. She lives in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joan Hess also writes a mystery series under the pseudonym of Joan Hadley.

Series contributed to:
. Crosswinds
. The Year's 25 Finest Crime and Mys
More about Joan Hess...

Claire Malloy (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1)
  • The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2)
  • Dear Miss Demeanor (Claire Malloy, #3)
  • A Really Cute Corpse (Claire Malloy, #4)
  • A Diet to Die For (Claire Malloy, #5)
  • Roll Over and Play Dead (Claire Malloy, #6)
  • Death by the Light of the Moon (Claire Malloy, #7)
  • Tickled to Death (Claire Malloy, #9)
  • Busy Bodies (Claire Malloy, #10)
  • Closely Akin to Murder (Claire Malloy, #11)
Malice in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #1) Strangled Prose (Claire Malloy, #1) Mischief in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #2) The Murder at the Murder at the Mimosa Inn (Claire Malloy, #2) Martians in Maggody (Arly Hanks, #8)