Start by marking “Get Some” as Want to Read:
Get Some

Get Some

2.9 of 5 stars 2.90  ·  rating details  ·  156 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Anybody who has read Danny Birch's groundbreaking first novel, 'Clipped', will be expecting a fast-paced, sharply-written, emotionally charged gangster thriller, written in Danny's inimitably catchy, witty and streetwise style.

If so, prepare yourself for 'Get Some', a gangster revenge thriller that fizzes and crackles off the page like few others.

It is the tale of two ch
Published (first published March 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Get Some, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Some

Another author who I was unfamiliar with, so I thought that I would broaden my horizons and give this book a go. I have to say that I found the style of writing very confusing, with different parts written from the viewpoint of different people, but without warning. I don't know if it was proofread at all, but it all seemed clumsily cobbled together, bits written in the first person, other bits in the third person and typos abounding.
Initially the storyline started out well enough, with troops i
I found the book hard to follow at first. The language was odd and I didn't understand why a well educated lawyer would say "sat" when "sitting" is grammatically correct, etc. I get why some of the other characters were less than stellar English speakers, but I don't get why Joey was.

I was also put off by the changes in narrative voice from 1st to 3rd person even though there were no physical breaks in the text to indicate that one should expect some kind of change. That was disconcerting.

I di
Chris McClinch
I read this book because 1) it was free for the Kindle, and 2) the author was billed as the Nick Hornby of the London Gangster novel. Aside from the fact that they're both British, I can't think of much that Hornby and Birch have in common. This book was poorly written and incompetently edited, switching from first person to third and back again mid-chapter, ommitting punctuation, confusing your with you're, and betraying a profound failure to do the research on military matters. I plunged throu ...more
This is tough to rate, because the subject matter is interesting but the writing & editing of this book were rather poor. In each chapter, the opening paragraphs are first person and then switch to third person. Character names are incorrect at points, too. I'm not sure if these issues are the same in the print version of the book but that's how it was on my e-reader.

While the topic was great and there was quite a lot of action to carry the plot, I found myself detached because of the probl
David Highton
not a bad storyline, but very weird writing - multiple characters in both first and third person in the same piece of narrative
Danielle West
If I could give this book less than one star I would. It would have been pretty great if the author could have decided to write in either first or third person. It made the book really confusing at first and terribly annoying later. Usually when I read a free e-book that is poorly edited I think, "Well, you get what you pay for." This wasn't even worth free.
Let me start by saying that I enjoyed the plot of this book. It was difficult to follow at times when the author shifted from 1st to 3rd person frequently among most of the characters. I felt the end was a but rushed and could have been drawn out a bit more but overall it was a good read. I will definitely read his other book after reading this one.
Tim Roux
I'm a big fan of Danny Birch and this is a great book, better even than his 'Clipped'.

This tale of persecution and revenge has excellent female characters too.

It just fires along. You could even say it rocks.
Once I figured out how to really read this book, since everything was wrote in first person from 3-4 different characters, I really enjoyed it. I will look to read more by Daniel Birch.
I actually liked the demotic style, but the characters were not well rounded and the plot was weak.
Hard to read at first, but a good free book for the kindle.
Susan Hayash
Horrible, just horrible.
Raymond Wright
Raymond Wright marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Joslyn marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Gg144 added it
Oct 20, 2015
Susan Johnston
Susan Johnston marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
Mazza's Palace
Mazza's Palace marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
Coty marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Geoffrey Stultz
Geoffrey Stultz marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Naomi marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
Todd marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
  • The Cruelest Cut
  • Spoilt
  • Blood of the Wicked
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • Dancing In The Low Country
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • One Hit Wonder
  • Deceit: A Novel
  • Triple Exposure
  • Chinatown Beat
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
  • Silent Screams
  • The Hunters
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Perfect (Claire McCall #4)
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • Mania