Start by marking “Get Some” as Want to Read:
Get Some

Get Some

2.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Anybody who has read Danny Birch's groundbreaking first novel, 'Clipped', will be expecting a fast-paced, sharply-written, emotionally charged gangster thriller, written in Danny's inimitably catchy, witty and streetwise style.

If so, prepare yourself for 'Get Some', a gangster revenge thriller that fizzes and crackles off the page like few others.

It is the tale of two ch
Published (first published March 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Get Some, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Some

Neil
Apr 14, 2015 Neil rated it did not like it
Another author who I was unfamiliar with, so I thought that I would broaden my horizons and give this book a go. I have to say that I found the style of writing very confusing, with different parts written from the viewpoint of different people, but without warning. I don't know if it was proofread at all, but it all seemed clumsily cobbled together, bits written in the first person, other bits in the third person and typos abounding.
Initially the storyline started out well enough, with troops i
Sasha
I found the book hard to follow at first. The language was odd and I didn't understand why a well educated lawyer would say "sat" when "sitting" is grammatically correct, etc. I get why some of the other characters were less than stellar English speakers, but I don't get why Joey was.

I was also put off by the changes in narrative voice from 1st to 3rd person even though there were no physical breaks in the text to indicate that one should expect some kind of change. That was disconcerting.

I di
Kary
Jul 14, 2016 Kary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
good story, i love books written in "English"; still have to look twice when a word is spelled with an "s" instead of a "z" need to figure out why we do things so different. Story moved well.
Chris McClinch
Jan 28, 2011 Chris McClinch rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because 1) it was free for the Kindle, and 2) the author was billed as the Nick Hornby of the London Gangster novel. Aside from the fact that they're both British, I can't think of much that Hornby and Birch have in common. This book was poorly written and incompetently edited, switching from first person to third and back again mid-chapter, ommitting punctuation, confusing your with you're, and betraying a profound failure to do the research on military matters. I plunged throu ...more
Feb 09, 2011 Laura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is tough to rate, because the subject matter is interesting but the writing & editing of this book were rather poor. In each chapter, the opening paragraphs are first person and then switch to third person. Character names are incorrect at points, too. I'm not sure if these issues are the same in the print version of the book but that's how it was on my e-reader.

While the topic was great and there was quite a lot of action to carry the plot, I found myself detached because of the probl
David Highton
Nov 18, 2015 David Highton rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
not a bad storyline, but very weird writing - multiple characters in both first and third person in the same piece of narrative
Danielle West
Aug 04, 2012 Danielle West rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If I could give this book less than one star I would. It would have been pretty great if the author could have decided to write in either first or third person. It made the book really confusing at first and terribly annoying later. Usually when I read a free e-book that is poorly edited I think, "Well, you get what you pay for." This book...it wasn't even worth free.
Heather
Sep 06, 2013 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
Let me start by saying that I enjoyed the plot of this book. It was difficult to follow at times when the author shifted from 1st to 3rd person frequently among most of the characters. I felt the end was a but rushed and could have been drawn out a bit more but overall it was a good read. I will definitely read his other book after reading this one.
Tim Roux
Jul 19, 2010 Tim Roux rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of Danny Birch and this is a great book, better even than his 'Clipped'.

This tale of persecution and revenge has excellent female characters too.

It just fires along. You could even say it rocks.
Jaime
Nov 13, 2010 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I figured out how to really read this book, since everything was wrote in first person from 3-4 different characters, I really enjoyed it. I will look to read more by Daniel Birch.
Jack
Nov 16, 2011 Jack rated it it was ok
I actually liked the demotic style, but the characters were not well rounded and the plot was weak.
Sue
Apr 22, 2011 Sue rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard to read at first, but a good free book for the kindle.
Susan Hayash
Mar 14, 2011 Susan Hayash rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Horrible, just horrible.
Alicia
Alicia added it
Jul 27, 2016
Karen  Morgan
Karen Morgan rated it did not like it
Jul 17, 2016
jackie voigt
jackie voigt marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Bobbi O'Reilly
Bobbi O'Reilly marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Renee Rosa
Renee Rosa rated it it was ok
Jul 09, 2016
Nola
Nola marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2016
Louise Morris
Louise Morris marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Linda Decker
Linda Decker marked it as to-read
Melanie Stern
Melanie Stern marked it as to-read
Carina
Carina marked it as to-read
Suki
Suki marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Jun 03, 2016
stephen g connelly
stephen g connelly rated it did not like it
Jun 02, 2016
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it really liked it
May 24, 2016
  • Spoilt
  • Blood of the Wicked (Chief Inspector Mario Silva #1)
  • The Cruelest Cut
  • Silent Screams
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • Deceit: A Novel
  • Perfect (Claire McCall #4)
  • The Hunters
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
  • Triple Exposure
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • One Hit Wonder
  • Tremolo: Cry of the Loon
  • Disturbed Earth
  • Dancing In The Low Country
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • Blood Ransom