Start by marking “Get Some” as Want to Read:
Get Some

Get Some

2.92 of 5 stars 2.92  ·  rating details  ·  120 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Anybody who has read Danny Birch's groundbreaking first novel, 'Clipped', will be expecting a fast-paced, sharply-written, emotionally charged gangster thriller, written in Danny's inimitably catchy, witty and streetwise style. If so, prepare yourself for 'Get Some', a gangster revenge thriller that fizzes and crackles off the page like few others. It is the tale of two ch ...more
Published March 30th 2010 by Createspace

To ask other readers questions about Get Some, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get Some

Sasha
I found the book hard to follow at first. The language was odd and I didn't understand why a well educated lawyer would say "sat" when "sitting" is grammatically correct, etc. I get why some of the other characters were less than stellar English speakers, but I don't get why Joey was.

I was also put off by the changes in narrative voice from 1st to 3rd person even though there were no physical breaks in the text to indicate that one should expect some kind of change. That was disconcerting.

I di
Chris McClinch
I read this book because 1) it was free for the Kindle, and 2) the author was billed as the Nick Hornby of the London Gangster novel. Aside from the fact that they're both British, I can't think of much that Hornby and Birch have in common. This book was poorly written and incompetently edited, switching from first person to third and back again mid-chapter, ommitting punctuation, confusing your with you're, and betraying a profound failure to do the research on military matters. I plunged throu ...more
This is tough to rate, because the subject matter is interesting but the writing & editing of this book were rather poor. In each chapter, the opening paragraphs are first person and then switch to third person. Character names are incorrect at points, too. I'm not sure if these issues are the same in the print version of the book but that's how it was on my e-reader.

While the topic was great and there was quite a lot of action to carry the plot, I found myself detached because of the probl
Danielle West
If I could give this book less than one star I would. It would have been pretty great if the author could have decided to write in either first or third person. It made the book really confusing at first and terribly annoying later. Usually when I read a free e-book that is poorly edited I think, "Well, you get what you pay for." This book...it wasn't even worth free.
Heather
Let me start by saying that I enjoyed the plot of this book. It was difficult to follow at times when the author shifted from 1st to 3rd person frequently among most of the characters. I felt the end was a but rushed and could have been drawn out a bit more but overall it was a good read. I will definitely read his other book after reading this one.
Tim Roux
I'm a big fan of Danny Birch and this is a great book, better even than his 'Clipped'.

This tale of persecution and revenge has excellent female characters too.

It just fires along. You could even say it rocks.
Jaime
Once I figured out how to really read this book, since everything was wrote in first person from 3-4 different characters, I really enjoyed it. I will look to read more by Daniel Birch.
Jack
I actually liked the demotic style, but the characters were not well rounded and the plot was weak.
Sue
Hard to read at first, but a good free book for the kindle.
Susan Hayash
Horrible, just horrible.
David Southwick
David Southwick marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Season Keiffer
Season Keiffer marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Dr. Daniel
Dr. Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Patricia Mccormick
Patricia Mccormick marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Angela Jarvis
Angela Jarvis marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Marjie
Marjie marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Debbie Lester
Debbie Lester marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Katina
Katina marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Zachary Harless
Zachary Harless marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2014
Kevin
Kevin marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
  • The Cruelest Cut
  • Spoilt
  • Blood of the Wicked
  • Deceit
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • The Gift of Fury (Count Albritton #2)
  • The Malacca Conspiracy
  • Chinatown Beat
  • Triple Exposure
  • Silent Screams
  • When the Devil Whistles
  • One Hit Wonder
  • Dancing In The Low Country
  • Truth and Consequences (Hearts of the South, #1)
  • From Dust and Ashes: A Story of Liberation (World War II Liberator #1)
  • Perfect (Claire McCall #4)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • The Hunters