Start by marking “Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)” as Want to Read:
Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)

Germany (DK Eyewitness Travel)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  280 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Highlights include: Berlin, Brandenburg, Saxony-Anhalt, Saxony, Thuringia, Munich, Bavaria, Baden-Wurttemberg, Rhineland-Palatinate, Saarland, Hesse, North Rhine-Westphalia, Bremen, Hamburg, Lower Saxony, Schleswig-Holstein, and Mecklenburg-Lower Saxony.
Published February 1st 2010 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published August 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Germany, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Germany

Greg Brozeit
Jan 31, 2016 Greg Brozeit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Travelers to Germany
Shelves: deutsch, misc
If you've never been to Germany or only spent a short time in some part of the country and want to travel there, this is a great book to get a quick, cursory overview to plan a trip. Great photos and graphics, nice vignettes to spur on greater study of places that interest you, and organized in an accessible, easily navigated style. And it comes in a variety of languages. Recommended for people who are familiar with and like DK's approach to travel and informational books. As I do. And it's avai ...more
Strangerealms
Jan 15, 2010 Strangerealms rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tourism
This particular serie of touristic books is called "Voir" or in English "See". And indeed in this book there are tons of photos, plans and it's a very visual book. It talks about every aspects of the country from history, culture, food, customs, geography, etc. It contains as well a few maps of cities and addresses like for restaurants. The book is fully in color with glazed paper, the book is a bit too heavy but at the same time it's not too big, obviously it's the glazed paper that is making i ...more
Wolfgang
Jan 20, 2015 Wolfgang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can really recommend it! One of the best travel guides, especially if one is interested in history. It includes many cutaways, floor plans and reconstructions of the castles and other historic buildings, plus street maps of all the fascinating cities and towns, and region-by-region; very many detailed illustrations and fantastic photos. :)
Kazumy
Jan 20, 2015 Kazumy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this a book u need if u wanna goto germany especially Berlin..u gonna need this!
Tatjana
Pretty good. I use it weekly, since I live in Germany at the moment.
I like the pictures as a clear reference (I've very visual), though some of them are misleading. One thing I very much like is that all parts of Germany are equally treated. That is unusual. Most books concentrate disproportionately on Bavaria and The Rhein River Valley. Don't get me wrong! They are breath-taking; however, this book actually recommends some of the little gems found elsewhere.
It's not the kind of travel book tha
Julia
Jun 11, 2008 Julia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-guides
Hmf. I mean, the basics are alright, but I don't need so many goddamn pictures. I'm going to SEE the country, alright? I would rather they expand the "about the region" section and shrink the silly colorful maps. I borrowed this from a friend, and usually get guide books from the library instead of buying, but yeah...either way, I think different companies do a much better job (Lonely Planet is still my reigning fave, although I'm eager to try another Hidden Planet guide after my experience with ...more
P.Sannie
Apr 18, 2010 P.Sannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel-guides
As someone who lives in Germany, this is a helpful guide for whenever I'm going on a short trip to other cities. It has a very good overview of the main sites that you have to see, but not much is offered in terms of off-the-beaten-path. I wouldn't take any of the suggestions for hotels because they're on the expensive side and typical tourist traps. But I suppose that's what would happen when a lot of people use this book.
Jim
Jan 27, 2014 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a terrible guide book but just a little too heavy and repetitive on the castles and churches. Didn't feature enough unique elements of each city. I would have probably been better off with guides for individual cities but I hadn't decided where I was going yet and had hoped that this would inform that decision. Proved to be fruitless in that regard.
Joanna
Apr 04, 2008 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel
I love this book for planning day-trips and knowing what the highlights are in a given city. As one would expect, it has loads of photos, maps of major cities, top attractions, a brief history of the country, and a practical appendix dealing with food, transportation, accommodation, and so forth.
Karin
Jun 14, 2012 Karin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a very useful guide for someone who often travels to Germany. It gives enough information on what to see around the country,and where to eat, stay, and how to get around using public transportation (I never rent a car overseas)
Lauren Murphy
Very informative and quite helpful in planning our trip to Germany this eyar.
Kelsey
Jul 03, 2012 Kelsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty decent book on a country with so much to do.
Michelle Louer
Michelle Louer rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Yan Luo
Yan Luo marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Pedro Rosales
Pedro Rosales rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Sheenagh Morrison
Sheenagh Morrison marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Fred Randolph
Fred Randolph rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2016
Msbookworm
Msbookworm marked it as to-read
May 06, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Pratik Bagaria
Pratik Bagaria marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Ly Lam Xuan Huong
Ly Lam Xuan Huong rated it it was amazing
Apr 25, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Nathan Sanders
Nathan Sanders rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Mrs Carol Parker
Mrs Carol Parker rated it it was amazing
Apr 13, 2016
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Nancy Mooslin
Nancy Mooslin marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Brandon Londt
Brandon Londt rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
  • France
  • Amsterdam (Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • Great Britain
  • Spain (Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Ireland (DK Eyewitness Travel)
  • Washington, D.C.
  • Paris
  • Australia
  • Japan (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Italy
  • Portugal (DK Eyewitness Travel Guides)
  • Istanbul (DK Eyewitness Travel Guide)
  • New York