Start by marking “Descending” as Want to Read:
Descending

Descending

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Emily is a lonely, disillusioned, teaching assistant at a college of Further Education. Jamie is a neglected, unpredictable student. Trapped together in a falling lift, wherever will this lead? Told from Emily's point of view, this story explores the ambiguity of relationships between staff and students, and reflects on who is actually in control.
Nook, 0 pages
Published June 5th 2010 by Smashwords, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Descending, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Descending

Grace Krispy
Emily works two part-time jobs to make ends meet in her lonely life. She has just two friends, and her one love relationship has long since ended. She's frustrated with where her life is headed, and things just don't seem to be getting any better. One fateful afternoon, she finds herself trapped in a rapidly descending elevator with one of her students. The brush with death, the exciting and rogue personality of this student, and Emily's own mixed-up feelings of frustration and loneliness make f ...more
Jessica Degarmo
Descending is a fantastic glimpse into the world of a woman falling apart. Emily is depressed, stuck in a job she no longer loves and lonely. One day in an elevator, everything changes, and Emily's tenuous grip on her sanity is further shaken.
Emily and Jamie are kindred spirits in that they are both mixed-up. Their relationship is portrayed well. The author inserts some surprisingly contemporary touches in the storyline and keeps us invested in the characters. The tension that Emily's and Jamie'
Marcie
This book is a bit outside my usual reading zone. The subject interested me quite a bit. I've seen on the news teachers who have been arrested for having an affair with their students. I often wondered to myself why in the world would they do something like that? Catherine Chisnall tackles this question with Descending. The story is told from Emily's point of view. Emily is a thrity-something teaching assistant who is unsatisfied and bored with her life. Emily feels "invisible and anonymous". Af ...more
Stuart Aken
Rightly or wrongly, what matters to me most in fiction, apart from the necessary quality of the writing, is whether I care about the characters or not. In Descending, Catherine Chisnall has created a narrator who is so believable that the novel reads like a memoir. The other characters are drawn with equal skill and their variety brings wide interest to the book.
At times, I felt that the writing was a little too much like that experienced in a report. And that quality did slightly detract from
Tim Roux
Catherine Chisnall's 'Descending' is one of those books which it is easier simply to read than to read reviews about.

It is about a low key love affair, an aberration, a few days in a life which might change everything or nothing.

It is about the role of a support teacher and how she fits into a male dominated classroom. It is about how pupils play games with teachers and about how the management of any institution plays those same games but in a more self-righteous and pompous way.

This is the tal
K.J. Kron
Check out this interview with the author: http://stpeterkilledgod.blogspot.com/...
The narrator pulled me in with her insecurity. She makes a series of bad decisions and I just could help reading on to see what would come next. It's what fiction should be all about - observing someone make choices you'd never make and then see what they have to live through. I'm actually proud that she never denies what happened with Jamie - although that might be a sign that she never got it. A cautionary tale -
Lindy Dale
I really enjoyed reading Descending. The conversational tone made it very easy to read. Having seen some of the reviews for the story I must say I felt more sorry for the way Emily was finally treated than for Jamie. There seemed to be little consequence for his part in the relationship.
This book is free at the moment on Smashwords so download it and have a read. It's very thought provoking and rather sad.
Melanie Schweiger
I wasn't thrilled with the subject matter of this book. A teacher's assistant get "involved" with one of her students and her life spirals out of control. What did she think would happen?
Katie (It's Time to Read) Leversuch
Not very good to be honest. It is short but I thought the writing was too simplistic and didn't flow well. I didn't like the swearing and the story line was just average.
L. Carrington
More great reading from Night Publishing - grab your copy ASAP before they're gone!
Yashwin Kumar
Yashwin Kumar marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Sara Riggs
Sara Riggs is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2014
Shane
Shane marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Alicia House
Alicia House marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2014
Crystel
Crystel marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Therese
Therese marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2013
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2012
Angel
Angel marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2011
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2011
Boyle
Boyle added it
Dec 21, 2010
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2010
Noelle Pierce
Noelle Pierce marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2010
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2010
Is this abuse? 1 7 Mar 05, 2012 04:34AM
Ragnar the Murderer (Ragnar the Dane, #1) Descending Surfacing Ragnar and the Slave Girls (Ragnar the Dane, #2) The Jewel of Maythwaite Manor Surfacing