Start by marking “Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free” as Want to Read:
Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Celebrities such as Courteney Cox and Laura Dern love Blackbird Bakery for its famously scrumptious gluten-free desserts. Now these same sweets can be yours too, thanks to this beautiful cookbook that collects 75 delicious recipes for classic desserts and gorgeous French pastries, all made without gluten. Celiac disease is on the rise (more than 3 million Americans and an ...more
Published October 6th 2010 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

This was a rather fancy collection of gf baking recipes - definitely not the first book you want to try when learning how to bake gluten free. The flour blends, also, were ones that I don't normally use; I'd have to go out and buy bean flours, sorghum flours, etc.

If you're really into creative baking, high-end cupcakes, etc - think flying apron - then you'll like this book; otherwise, there are a lot more accessible resources out there.
I do believe we may have a winner! I'm off to the kitchen to test these beautiful, artful creations before deciding my 'Stars.'

When I was starting out GF, I was too scared to try all the weird flours used in GF baking recipes. I really was left feeling deprived (why I suddenly yearned for artisan bread I'll never know, since I didn't want it before I couldn't have it!), & while everyone else I knew enjoyed a delectable pastry at tea or rustic slab of bread with dinner, there I was, hoping to
4/2/11 Baked my first dessert from this book this morning - lemon bars. The lemon curd topping was just amazing. They could have been a little sweeter, but the actual recipe calls for Meyer Lemons, which I didn't use, and are sweeter than the standard variety, and that may have made the difference.

I had some trouble finding sorghum flour, so I used millet flour instead. The notes on ingredients at the start of the book are very helpful and I think my substitution worked fine. Again though, it i
Maybe once or twice you might have heard me mention that my SisterB is allergic to wheat. Before this realization I never knew about a gluten-free way of life. I personally do not have a problem with wheat or gluten, but now gluten-free ingredients and recipes stand out to me. It's nice to know I'll have a few choices when my SisterB comes to visit rather than relying on her to fix the menu. (However she is an incredible cook, so that's not too bad when she does do the menu...)

The Blackbird Bake
Amanda Noël
Excellent recipes, stunning pictures.
This book is like a class in food chemistry! I was given this book on my last birthday and I have learned so much from Karen Morgan since. She provides great information about why some ingredients may or may not work in a gluten free recipe. The recipes are great and the lesson in gluten free baking was a five star experience.
Great book if you need to cook gluten-free.
Karen Morgan is VERY descriptive in how things should look and feel.
This is NOT, however, for the beginner cook.
Many of the recipes are quite labor intensive, but sooo worth the effort. Thus, the 4 stars.
Make sure you have all the ingredients before you start.
Apr 10, 2012 Tom is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book because of the variety in it and being a Foodie getting the Celiac Diagnosis was Bad enough. Walking out of the store with this book was absolutely like a security blanket that my Foodie life was going to continue on =)
This book is amazing! Karen Morgan does a great job explaining the different types of gf flour and basic ingredients and how they can be used appropriately. I can't wait to bake from this book!
This cookbook made me stretch my skills in the kitchen. I did have to hunt down some of the ingredients but once I had them in the pantry it made trying out these recipes and others a bit easier.
Jan 24, 2011 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: foodie
Great cookbook, but you have to have all sorts of generally unavailable ingredients to work with it. Still, gluten sensitive folks are used to hunting down generally unavailable ingredients . . .
Fantastic recipes! Finally a gluten-free alternative for desserts, breads, pies, etc. that actually work and taste great! I tried the lemon squares and the ginger cookies and both were great!
Some ingredients are hard to find in Australia however it gives a recently diagnosed celiac hope for a great food future.
Not my favorite--its gluten free, but hard to adjust to dairy free and uses a lot of sugar
Awesome gluten free recipes with the classics and some surprising additions.
Jan 10, 2011 Donna added it
Shelves: celiac-info
haven't tried a recipe yet
Jodie M Tonkin
Jodie M Tonkin marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Patti marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Samantha marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
Megan marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
D marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Sophie added it
Aug 05, 2015
Amber marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Lyndsay marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Gen marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
  • Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef
  • The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: Breakfasts, Entrées, and More
  • Gluten-Free Baking Classics
  • Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy Delicious Meals
  • Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes
  • The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat
  • Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Les Petits Macarons: Colorful French Confections to Make at Home
  • Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen
  • My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread: More Than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes
  • Eleven Madison Park: The Cookbook
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
The Everyday Art of Gluten-Free: 125 Savory and Sweet Recipes Using 6 Fail-Proof Flour Blends Morgan Update: Please Forward: Choosing Hope, Joy and Vulnerability in the Midst of Crisis Conscious Beauty Conscious Beauty Graphic Novel You Might Be a Mama!: From the Stand-Up Comedy of Karen Morgan