Start by marking “Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free” as Want to Read:
Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

Celebrities such as Courteney Cox and Laura Dern love Blackbird Bakery for its famously scrumptious gluten-free desserts. Now these same sweets can be yours too, thanks to this beautiful cookbook that collects 75 delicious recipes for classic desserts and gorgeous French pastries, all made without gluten. Celiac disease is on the rise (more than 3 million Americans and an ...more
Published October 6th 2010 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackbird Bakery Gluten-Free

Aug 06, 2016 Bev rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a rather fancy collection of gf baking recipes - definitely not the first book you want to try when learning how to bake gluten free. The flour blends, also, were ones that I don't normally use; I'd have to go out and buy bean flours, sorghum flours, etc.

If you're really into creative baking, high-end cupcakes, etc - think flying apron - then you'll like this book; otherwise, there are a lot more accessible resources out there.
Margaret Chind
Maybe once or twice you might have heard me mention that my SisterB is allergic to wheat. Before this realization I never knew about a gluten-free way of life. I personally do not have a problem with wheat or gluten, but now gluten-free ingredients and recipes stand out to me. It's nice to know I'll have a few choices when my SisterB comes to visit rather than relying on her to fix the menu. (However she is an incredible cook, so that's not too bad when she does do the menu...)

The Blackbird Bake
Aug 22, 2012 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cooking-other
I do believe we may have a winner! I'm off to the kitchen to test these beautiful, artful creations before deciding my 'Stars.'

When I was starting out GF, I was too scared to try all the weird flours used in GF baking recipes. I really was left feeling deprived (why I suddenly yearned for artisan bread I'll never know, since I didn't want it before I couldn't have it!), & while everyone else I knew enjoyed a delectable pastry at tea or rustic slab of bread with dinner, there I was, hoping to
Sep 02, 2011 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/2/11 Baked my first dessert from this book this morning - lemon bars. The lemon curd topping was just amazing. They could have been a little sweeter, but the actual recipe calls for Meyer Lemons, which I didn't use, and are sweeter than the standard variety, and that may have made the difference.

I had some trouble finding sorghum flour, so I used millet flour instead. The notes on ingredients at the start of the book are very helpful and I think my substitution worked fine. Again though, it i
Jun 01, 2011 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Great book if you need to cook gluten-free.
Karen Morgan is VERY descriptive in how things should look and feel.
This is NOT, however, for the beginner cook.
Many of the recipes are quite labor intensive, but sooo worth the effort. Thus, the 4 stars.
Make sure you have all the ingredients before you start.
Feb 19, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is like a class in food chemistry! I was given this book on my last birthday and I have learned so much from Karen Morgan since. She provides great information about why some ingredients may or may not work in a gluten free recipe. The recipes are great and the lesson in gluten free baking was a five star experience.
Apr 10, 2012 Tom is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book because of the variety in it and being a Foodie getting the Celiac Diagnosis was Bad enough. Walking out of the store with this book was absolutely like a security blanket that my Foodie life was going to continue on =)
Feb 19, 2012 Katie rated it it was amazing
This cookbook made me stretch my skills in the kitchen. I did have to hunt down some of the ingredients but once I had them in the pantry it made trying out these recipes and others a bit easier.
May 30, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Fantastic recipes! Finally a gluten-free alternative for desserts, breads, pies, etc. that actually work and taste great! I tried the lemon squares and the ginger cookies and both were great!
Jan 24, 2011 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: foodie
Great cookbook, but you have to have all sorts of generally unavailable ingredients to work with it. Still, gluten sensitive folks are used to hunting down generally unavailable ingredients . . .
Aug 17, 2011 Jacquelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
This book is amazing! Karen Morgan does a great job explaining the different types of gf flour and basic ingredients and how they can be used appropriately. I can't wait to bake from this book!
Sep 28, 2011 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some ingredients are hard to find in Australia however it gives a recently diagnosed celiac hope for a great food future.
Karen Wilson Dye
Karen Wilson Dye rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2015
Dale Winslow
Dale Winslow rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2012
Taida rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2016
Sattie rated it liked it
Nov 05, 2015
rainie rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2016
Shannon Cote
Shannon Cote rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2014
Tina rated it really liked it
Sep 27, 2016
traci kemp
traci kemp rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Rakhi rated it it was ok
Aug 07, 2014
Larisa rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2010
Kelly Troyna
Kelly Troyna rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2015
Samuel rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Chip rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Kimiko rated it really liked it
May 19, 2012
Michelle LaField
Michelle LaField rated it really liked it
Dec 24, 2013
Jessica rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2012
brenda white
brenda white rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Karen Laine
Karen Laine rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef
  • The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: Breakfasts, Entrées, and More
  • Gluten-Free Baking Classics
  • Cooking for Isaiah: Gluten-Free & Dairy-Free Recipes for Easy Delicious Meals
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • Flying Apron's Gluten Free & Vegan Baking Book
  • 1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes
  • Morimoto: The New Art of Japanese Cooking
  • Fat Witch Brownies: Brownies, Blondies, and Bars from New York's Legendary Fat Witch Bakery
  • The Gluten-Free Vegan: 150 Delicious Ways to Cook Allergy-Free-Without Dairy, Wheat or Meat
  • Fast, Fresh, & Green
  • Cook 1.0: A Fresh Approach to the Vegetarian Kitchen
  • The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread: More Than 200 Wheat-Free Recipes
  • Les Petits Macarons: Colorful French Confections to Make at Home
  • My Sweet Mexico: Recipes for Authentic Pastries, Breads, Candies, Beverages, and Frozen Treats
  • My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook: Sweetness in Seattle