Murder at the President's Door (Eleanor Roosevelt, #20)

Murder at the President's Door (Eleanor Roosevelt #20)

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  10 reviews
When the slain body of a White House police officer is discovered outside the President's bedroom door, our favorite First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt, must comb Washington D.C.'s underworld to expose the President's would-be assassin before he strikes again. . .

It is 1933 and the President and the First Lady have just settled into the White House to face a nation in the dept...more
Published February 17th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2001)

Adam N.
Murder At the President’s Door
Wait, What I Fell Asleep Reading this Book?
Why would someone kill the president’s bodyguard, but not the President? In Elliott Roosevelt’s Murder At the President’s Door Douglas Douglas has just been murdered outside of the President’s door. This book takes place in Washington D.C. The year is 1933. Some of the main characters are the detectives and Mrs. Roosevelt the president’s wife. The genre of this book is mystery. My rating of this book is be 1.2 out of 5 star...more
Livia
MURDER AT THE PRESIDENT'S DOOR is book 20 in the series and as usual is a great mystery. It's 1933 and President Roosevelt is still new to the office when the body of a White House policeman is found in front of his bedroom door. Once again the reader will discover the poor security that exist in the White House during this time. First Lady Eleanor suspects someone is out to kill the President and brings in the Secret Service and DC Police to get to the bottom of things.

The characters the reade...more
Read1000books
This book was so disappointing that I quit after fifty pages. When Eleanor Roosevelt's friend takes her to a bar (during Prohibition, mind you), that was unlikely enough. At which bar was J. Edgar Hoover and his gay lover. This topic (or myth depending on whom you believe) was brought up several times (strike two). But the final straw was that the bar was also a strip club and the first stripper was moonlighting then-evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson! That was enough for me. In fairness to Ellio...more
Judy Gutchman
A quick light, east read, not much to it.
Arlene
A period piece staring Eleanor Roosevelt in the White House in 1933. It is fascinating to read about the goings on in Washington early in FDR's first term in office during the height of the depression. It was a very different world than now. The author has a unique insight into that world since he was the son of FDR and Eleanor.
Amy
I learned some history (mostly that FDR was a philandering ass)....but the mystery was weak and Eleanor wasn't really the detective. She just popped in every now and then and asked the real detectives a questions that made them go do something. Not a great read.
Cindy
This was great! I picked up 6 books at the Calais Free Library bookstore and the hard covers were only $1 each. Great bang for my buck! I love reading about the underside of DC. Great fun!
Mary
Interesting to read a story with historical meaning and fiction. Also I find it amusing to go back into time to see how are judicial system had changed.
Janene
The Elliott Roosevelt mysteries are wonderful for letting you see into the life of Eleanor Roosevelt and the political times.
Julie Meis
More like a short story, written at about the eighth-grade level.
Katie
Katie added it
Apr 05, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Merrill
Merrill marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Jacqueline Reed
Jacqueline Reed marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Dawn
Dawn added it
Feb 11, 2014
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Nancy
Nancy added it
Feb 05, 2014
Carole
Carole marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2013
Brenda
Brenda marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Elliott Roosevelt (September 23, 1910 – October 27, 1990) was an United States Army Air Forces officer and an author. Roosevelt was a son of U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) and First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt.
More about Elliott Roosevelt...
Murder and the First Lady (Eleanor Roosevelt, #1) The Hyde Park Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #2) Murder in the Oval Office  Murder in the Rose Garden (Eleanor Roosevelt, #7) Murder in the Blue Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #8)