Start by marking “Murder at the President's Door (Eleanor Roosevelt, #20)” as Want to Read:
Murder at the President's Door (Eleanor Roosevelt, #20)

Murder at the President's Door (Eleanor Roosevelt #20)

When the slain body of a White House police officer is discovered outside the President's bedroom door, our favorite First Lady, Eleanor Roosevelt, must comb Washington D.C.'s underworld to expose the President's would-be assassin before he strikes again. . .

It is 1933 and the President and the First Lady have just settled into the White House to face a nation in the dept
Published February 17th 2003 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Murder at the President's Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder at the President's Door

Read1000books
Nov 24, 2012 Read1000books rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
This book was so disappointing that I quit after fifty pages. When Eleanor Roosevelt's friend takes her to a bar (during Prohibition, mind you), that was unlikely enough. At which bar was J. Edgar Hoover and his gay lover. This topic (or myth depending on whom you believe) was brought up several times (strike two). But the final straw was that the bar was also a strip club and the first stripper was moonlighting then-evangelist Aimee Semple McPherson! That was enough for me. In fairness to Ellio ...more
Adam N.
Murder At the President’s Door
Wait, What I Fell Asleep Reading this Book?
Why would someone kill the president’s bodyguard, but not the President? In Elliott Roosevelt’s Murder At the President’s Door Douglas Douglas has just been murdered outside of the President’s door. This book takes place in Washington D.C. The year is 1933. Some of the main characters are the detectives and Mrs. Roosevelt the president’s wife. The genre of this book is mystery. My rating of this book is be 1.2 out of 5 star
Livia
Mar 10, 2013 Livia rated it it was amazing
MURDER AT THE PRESIDENT'S DOOR is book 20 in the series and as usual is a great mystery. It's 1933 and President Roosevelt is still new to the office when the body of a White House policeman is found in front of his bedroom door. Once again the reader will discover the poor security that exist in the White House during this time. First Lady Eleanor suspects someone is out to kill the President and brings in the Secret Service and DC Police to get to the bottom of things.

The characters the reade
Ellen Moore
Apr 03, 2015 Ellen Moore rated it really liked it
I didn't think the writing was as good in this book of the series about Eleanor Roosevelt. Since the author had died, another person apparently wrote or finished Elliott Roosevelt 's book. It was disappointing because of the stiffness of the writing and the different tone from other books in the series. I also thought this book seemed out of order and older mentioning the beginning of FDR's presidency, not following the time line established in the other books I have read. Some of the First Lady ...more
Arlene
A period piece staring Eleanor Roosevelt in the White House in 1933. It is fascinating to read about the goings on in Washington early in FDR's first term in office during the height of the depression. It was a very different world than now. The author has a unique insight into that world since he was the son of FDR and Eleanor.
Fredrick Danysh
Elliot Roosevelt has written a score of mysteries about his mother and the White House. In this one Mrs. Roosevelt calls on DC Police Lieutenant Edward Kennedy and Secret Service agent Stanislaw Szcygiel for help when a body is found at the president's bedroom door in 1933. This is an enjoyable read.
Amy
Jul 12, 2010 Amy rated it it was ok
I learned some history (mostly that FDR was a philandering ass)....but the mystery was weak and Eleanor wasn't really the detective. She just popped in every now and then and asked the real detectives a questions that made them go do something. Not a great read.
Nancy Shaffer
Feb 11, 2016 Nancy Shaffer rated it liked it
New author to me. Small book, quick read unless by necessity of travel it was spread out over several days...Will try another of his.
Cindy
This was great! I picked up 6 books at the Calais Free Library bookstore and the hard covers were only $1 each. Great bang for my buck! I love reading about the underside of DC. Great fun!
Mary
Jan 29, 2014 Mary rated it liked it
Interesting to read a story with historical meaning and fiction. Also I find it amusing to go back into time to see how are judicial system had changed.
Janene
Oct 05, 2008 Janene rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The Elliott Roosevelt mysteries are wonderful for letting you see into the life of Eleanor Roosevelt and the political times.
Peggy
Apr 06, 2016 Peggy rated it it was amazing
I love these books and Elliott Roosevelt did a great job in writing them, he incorporate the white house and history. They are easy read and I love finding out in the end who done it.
Brenda
Brenda rated it really liked it
May 31, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2009
Joshua Bishop
Joshua Bishop rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Sandy Bartel
Sandy Bartel rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2011
Madeline Floyd
Madeline Floyd rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2013
Kevin Hartigan
Kevin Hartigan rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2015
Edna
Edna rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2013
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2016
Margarita Cortez
Margarita Cortez rated it liked it
Jun 18, 2016
Bobi
Bobi rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2008
Krystle Kouture
Krystle Kouture rated it it was ok
Oct 31, 2015
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2014
MaryEllen
MaryEllen rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2010
Katy
Katy rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2012
Shirley A. Coale
Shirley A. Coale rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Murder in the Lincoln Bedroom (Eleanor Roosevelt, #19)
  • The Blue Corn Murders (Eugenia Potter, #5)
  • Hush My Mouth
  • Death Dines Out (Hemlock Falls Mysteries, #5)
  • Masada
  • Quilt as Desired (Harriet Truman / Loose Threads Mystery #1)

Eleanor Roosevelt (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Murder and the First Lady (Eleanor Roosevelt, #1)
  • The Hyde Park Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #2)
  • Murder at Hobcaw Barony (Eleanor Roosevelt, #3)
  • The White House Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #4)
  • Murder at the Palace (Eleanor Roosevelt, #5)
  • Murder in the Oval Office (Eleanor Roosevelt, #6)
  • Murder in the Rose Garden (Eleanor Roosevelt, #7)
  • Murder in the Blue Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #8)
  • A First Class Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #9)
  • Murder in the Red Room (Eleanor Roosevelt, #10)