Start by marking “Lucifer's Lottery” as Want to Read:
Lucifer's Lottery

Lucifer's Lottery (City Infernal #4)

Just before he's about to enter a seminary, a young man learns he's the winner of Lucifer's Lottery, a lottery held ever 666 years, in which the winner receives eternal youth and wealth and a personal tour of Hell.
Published October 1st 2010 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Lucifer's Lottery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucifer's Lottery

Kimberly
Not my favorite by a long shot. I actually read the ARC of this one. Very much what I expected, but so much so that I skimmed a lot just to get to the ending and see if there was anything redeeming there.

Obviously, I was not impressed.
Brainycat
Jul 08, 2013 Brainycat rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Readers who are interested in splatterpunky interpretations of the Christian mythos
Brainycat's 5 "B"s:
boobs: 3
blood: 5
bombs: 4
bondage: 2
blasphemy: 5

I liked this book enough to finish it, but it's not Edward Lee's best. The book follows Mr. Lee's formula impeccably: an introductory vignette, then a series of unrelated plotlines that are clearly headed for a calamitous finale that unfolds with predictable and horrific results.

Unlike his other stories, though, Lucifer's Lottery doesn't "gel" effectively. The disparate plotlines are interesting enough in their own ways, but the wa
Not Now...Mommy's Reading
Aug 09, 2010 Not Now...Mommy's Reading rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of Edward Lee's Infernal series
The only reason I gave this book two stars instead of one is because I happen to like Edward Lee's Infernal series. However, this latest addition didn't live up to my expectations.

The premise was good enough - a young man on his way to becoming a priest finds out he wins hell's "lottery" and gets a tour of hell. Sounds great. But for me there were too many plots and too many characters that got in the way of the original storyline. Also, it seems like more thought was put into ways to gross the
Ms. Nikki
A what's what of hell and what you see and can do when you get there or are tricked there. Not my favorite Lee. Perversity and degradation are included~
Adam Wilson
Jun 27, 2011 Adam Wilson rated it liked it
Lucifer’s Lottery was a fun read but, even though I’m sure it is supposed to be, is nothing special as far as horror fiction goes. The main character’s name is Hudson Hudson (not making it up) and he is a soon-to-be priest who is chosen by “Lucifer’s Lottery” to live in Hell in the highest class, not including Lucifer himself. It is an intriguing story and Edward Lee writes it very well, but as with the Bighead and many of his other novels, the violence and grossness is so over the top that it r ...more
Abbie
The only reason why I read this was because I was bored and my boyfriend didn't have any other books on is iPad. It was disturbing. Like, puke your heart out disturbing but lucky for me I love that stuff. I didn't like the plot or the characters but the gore was entertaining enough to keep me interested. But this book isn't for the faint of heart.
Mike
Mar 12, 2012 Mike rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an imagination Edward Lee has. There's an interesting story line in the first place--will the young man choose God and the seminary, or become a big shot in Hell, but the picture Edward paints of Hell and it's many and varied 'citizens' is really great. Very interesting book.
Peter
Dec 19, 2012 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hudson Hudson is about to enter the seminar in a few days. Hudson is told by the Deaconess Wilson that he has won the Senary. This only happens once every 666 years. All Hudson has to do is take a tour of Hell and then make up his mind whether to accept or decline the Lottery.
Eric
Nov 19, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
dark, and similar to other books in the series, but fresh enough to be entertaining and of course disgusting. Loved the ending
Bob Kochinskas
Nov 22, 2013 Bob Kochinskas rated it it was ok
meh.
Quiet
Nov 30, 2013 Quiet rated it did not like it
Lucifer's Lottery was my first taste of "Gore" fiction. In regards to the genre it doesn't disappoint, but ultimately I think I'm to be of the sort that does not see the "point" of this type of writing.
Lucifer's Lottery opens up with a man squeezing a turd from his penis-hole, amongst some two or three dozen other images involving rape, mutilation, and torture. After this the story than explodes into various plot-lines that are connected with one another, except how anyone is to know this until
Donald
Jul 09, 2011 Donald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cemetery-dance, 2011
My copy is an advance uncorrected proof by way of Cemetery Dance Publications Advance Readers Club 3.0, which means I was able to read it early. There were a lot of typos.

While I like the writing style of Edward Lee, his descriptions of Hell get a bit tedious in this novel. His version of Hell is so over the top. Everything in Hell is one gross-out after another. Women are just birthing sacs for every sort of creature imaginable. Buildings are constructed of human parts. Lucifer's Manse is const
Bracken
Mya
Oct 19, 2011 Mya rated it really liked it
I don't know why I am addicted to Edward Lee's books but as frightening, gross and fucked up as his books tend to be, there's always one thing that holds true: they are a wild, non-stop read! His books are like riding a roller coaster that you know is going to scare the shit out of you.

This book is no different. The premise is simple: Hudson, a man who aspires to join the priesthood wins the devil's lottery. What follows and frames is a massive description of not only every, imaginable horror o
Chris Valdes
Nov 07, 2016 Chris Valdes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I greatly enjoy Edward lee on that note..

This is a great revisit to the infernal series. I have to admit that the 2 and 3rd lacked much love and insight as the first. The 2nd wasn't all bad just felt rushed and slapped together compared to the first. The worst was the 3rd very boring and pointless in my view. Now with this said I have to admit this installment had soo much effort put into it and non of it went to waste. Great story and when I think of the infernal series purpose I have to say th
Erika
I'm glad I took this out of the library. It's nothing I would want to own. I don't mind the violence and gore, but man it's so over-the-top it loses its shock value and makes me think "oh, another silly description."

Hudson the priest is cute, since he's very proud for someone about to take vows. The tour of Hell is quite inventive, and the large magic acts were neat.

The ending should have been predictable for me (especially after the prologue), but I guess I got blinded by all the gore. In retro
Nov 07, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
So, what can this book teach us?

Hell sucks. Try not to end up there.

Not the best Infernal book, but still enjoyable enough. The descriptions of Hell can get tedious. While the setting and torments are being described, HPL explains the punishment they're viewing and Hudson exclaims, "Oh my god, no!" That's a large part of the book right there.

Also, I get it; the number six is important. Please stop bringing attention to it every sixth sentence.
Shara Sy
Jun 30, 2016 Shara Sy rated it really liked it
the book was great. Edward really knows how to make a girl gag hahaha. his description of hell truly amazes me. He continues to find ways to make things horribly disgusting and exciting and that quality of his has got me stuck on to him like a cannibal to a meaty fresh corpse. The protagonist's life was depressing like horribly depressing hahahahaaha sooo the lesson learned is never trust the prince of lies!
Scu8a8uddy
Sep 12, 2013 Scu8a8uddy rated it liked it
An average horror. Seemed to be written by an over imaginative teenager with a fixation on gore. ie Lucifer's house has severed heads as the walls, in the bathroom, in the bedroom, in the hallway, on the outside, on the inside blah blah blah blah. It goes on to the point of boredom. I gave up caring. Dull predictable end with a plot lines that are never fully concluded or left open to make you wonder. Gave it 3 stars but it's not really worth that much.
Misty Battle
Now this is the Edward Lee I know and love. When he is good, he writes one hell of a story. I was sucked into this series by this book alone. The imagery is outstanding and the creativity is awesome. He takes you on one wild ride through hell and gives you glimpses of the true horror that awaits the damned. I loved this book!
Larry Giles
Sep 05, 2014 Larry Giles rated it liked it
My first Edward Lee book and it was pretty good. Very vivid descriptions of hell that to me, wore a little thin by the end, but were quite entertaining. My only other complaint would be that the ending was telegraphed by a country mile. All in all, a decent read that might make me read another Lee novel.
Philip
Dec 31, 2012 Philip rated it really liked it
Another excellent entry into Lee's "Hell" series, Lucifer's Lottery is heavy on descriptions of Hell and light on plot and characters. It is probably the weakest book in the series from the standpoint of plot and characters, but Lee never fails to impress with the imaginative world of Satan's Mephistopolis. This is a good rainy day book that you will burn through in an afternoon.
Merzbau
Nov 02, 2014 Merzbau rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i'm not really sure how to rate this
the story was fun but there were about 4 different plots and only 1 had any real resolution. i don't know if there's going to be a sequel, if there is then obviously i can excuse leaving loose ends. if not...i guess i'll rate based on the hope of a sequel and see what happens
Izabela
Jul 29, 2011 Izabela rated it really liked it
Shelves: nook
The master of horror does it again! The gore and depravity were just what one would hope of Edward Lee. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was the shift in point of view about a third of the way in. It made the story seem choppy and disrupted the flow. The twist at the end was spectacular!
Inti
May 06, 2012 Inti rated it really liked it
I am not normally a fan of gross out fiction or movies, but this book had me enthralled till the end. Not to say the ending wasn't expected. This is lucifer we are talking about. This story shines in its creative descriptions of hell. I will be looking up more by this author.
Steven
Dec 16, 2010 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2010-read
I enjoy Ed Lee's Hell series. The books are imaginative and perverse. This is one of the best in the series. A good person who is soon to train as a priest is offered a tour of hell, and a crippled veteran is in despair over his infirmity. Each finds his path leads to unexpected places.
Baldurian
May 28, 2013 Baldurian rated it really liked it
Shelves: narrative, horror
A sort of Dante's Inferno with H.P. Lovecraft as Virgil, a bed made of boobs and beheaded girls as toilet paper? Mr Lee, sir, you have my full attention. What can I say about this book? Well, Lucifer's Lottery is funny as hell (or at least some parts of it).
Lydia Peever
Dec 26, 2011 Lydia Peever rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adored this. As stated earlier, the constant descriptions of Hell grow weary when one is a long-time Lee reader, but hey, it's also what I come back for. I enjoyed this one and liked going back to to the Mephistopolis outside of the City trilogy.
Brenda
Sep 10, 2014 Brenda rated it liked it
A few grammatical errors. He kind of overdid the descriptions of hell in a few places. Entertaining story, but it seemed to drag at the end - it took a long time to get through the last two chapters.
Johann Ingi
Apr 26, 2013 Johann Ingi rated it really liked it
Sick, twisted tale of sin and deceit. with HP. Lovecraft as the guide through hell this story has lot of interesting ideas and twists. I really liked it...even though it has some problems.
  • Orgy of Souls
  • Sleep Disorder
  • The Killing Kind
  • Necro Files: Two Decades of Extreme Horror
  • The Next Wave (Clickers #2)
  • Kill Whitey
  • Bleed on Me
  • Genital Grinder
  • Biohazard
  • Warrior Wolf Women of the Wasteland

Edward Lee was born (er, jettisoned) into the world on May 25, 1957, and was raised in Bowie, Md. He has sold 15 novels and continues to pursue the ludicrous profession of freelance writing. From 1976-79, he served in the U.S. Army Security Agency and then was transferred to the 1st Armored Division in Erlangen,
More about Edward Lee...

City Infernal (4 books)
  • City Infernal (City Infernal, #1)
  • Infernal Angel (City Infernal, #2)
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)