Start by marking “Lucifer's Lottery” as Want to Read:
Lucifer's Lottery

Lucifer's Lottery (City Infernal #4)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  295 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Theology student Hudson has just won the lottery, but not just any lottery—Satan’s lottery. Only eleven people in all of human history have been so honored since Lucifer’s fall from Heaven in 5318 B.C. All Hudson need do is say “yes,” and he will receive an all-expenses-paid tour of Hell, and his tour-guide is the damned soul of H.P. Lovecraft, the greatest horror writer o ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 336 pages
Published by Leisure Books (first published November 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Lucifer's Lottery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucifer's Lottery

Flesh Gothic by Edward LeeCity Infernal by Edward LeeThe Pig And The House by Edward LeeGoing Monstering by Edward LeeThe Bighead by Edward Lee
Best Edward Lee Books
26th out of 31 books — 21 voters
White Heaven Women by Jessie B. TysonUnthinkable Consequences by Bob RectorShadow Over Avalon by C.N. LesleyEden by Louise WiseMay Day by Thom  Stark
Wish It Was A Movie
303rd out of 351 books — 282 voters

More lists with this book...

Adam Wilson
Lucifer’s Lottery was a fun read but, even though I’m sure it is supposed to be, is nothing special as far as horror fiction goes. The main character’s name is Hudson Hudson (not making it up) and he is a soon-to-be priest who is chosen by “Lucifer’s Lottery” to live in Hell in the highest class, not including Lucifer himself. It is an intriguing story and Edward Lee writes it very well, but as with the Bighead and many of his other novels, the violence and grossness is so over the top that it r ...more
Brainycat
Jul 08, 2013 Brainycat rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Readers who are interested in splatterpunky interpretations of the Christian mythos
Brainycat's 5 "B"s:
boobs: 3
blood: 5
bombs: 4
bondage: 2
blasphemy: 5

I liked this book enough to finish it, but it's not Edward Lee's best. The book follows Mr. Lee's formula impeccably: an introductory vignette, then a series of unrelated plotlines that are clearly headed for a calamitous finale that unfolds with predictable and horrific results.

Unlike his other stories, though, Lucifer's Lottery doesn't "gel" effectively. The disparate plotlines are interesting enough in their own ways, but the wa
Mike
Wow! What an imagination Edward Lee has. There's an interesting story line in the first place--will the young man choose God and the seminary, or become a big shot in Hell, but the picture Edward paints of Hell and it's many and varied 'citizens' is really great. Very interesting book.
Kmp
Lucifer's Lottery was my first taste of "Gore" fiction. In regards to the genre it doesn't disappoint, but ultimately I think I'm to be of the sort that does not see the "point" of this type of writing.
Lucifer's Lottery opens up with a man squeezing a turd from his penis-hole, amongst some two or three dozen other images involving rape, mutilation, and torture. After this the story than explodes into various plot-lines that are connected with one another, except how anyone is to know this until
Donald
My copy is an advance uncorrected proof by way of Cemetery Dance Publications Advance Readers Club 3.0, which means I was able to read it early. There were a lot of typos.

While I like the writing style of Edward Lee, his descriptions of Hell get a bit tedious in this novel. His version of Hell is so over the top. Everything in Hell is one gross-out after another. Women are just birthing sacs for every sort of creature imaginable. Buildings are constructed of human parts. Lucifer's Manse is const
Bracken
Mya
I don't know why I am addicted to Edward Lee's books but as frightening, gross and fucked up as his books tend to be, there's always one thing that holds true: they are a wild, non-stop read! His books are like riding a roller coaster that you know is going to scare the shit out of you.

This book is no different. The premise is simple: Hudson, a man who aspires to join the priesthood wins the devil's lottery. What follows and frames is a massive description of not only every, imaginable horror o
Merzbau
i'm not really sure how to rate this
the story was fun but there were about 4 different plots and only 1 had any real resolution. i don't know if there's going to be a sequel, if there is then obviously i can excuse leaving loose ends. if not...i guess i'll rate based on the hope of a sequel and see what happens
Larry Giles
My first Edward Lee book and it was pretty good. Very vivid descriptions of hell that to me, wore a little thin by the end, but were quite entertaining. My only other complaint would be that the ending was telegraphed by a country mile. All in all, a decent read that might make me read another Lee novel.
Blu
Jan 23, 2011 Blu rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Edward Lee's Infernal series
The only reason I gave this book two stars instead of one is because I happen to like Edward Lee's Infernal series. However, this latest addition didn't live up to my expectations.

The premise was good enough - a young man on his way to becoming a priest finds out he wins hell's "lottery" and gets a tour of hell. Sounds great. But for me there were too many plots and too many characters that got in the way of the original storyline. Also, it seems like more thought was put into ways to gross the
Erika
I'm glad I took this out of the library. It's nothing I would want to own. I don't mind the violence and gore, but man it's so over-the-top it loses its shock value and makes me think "oh, another silly description."

Hudson the priest is cute, since he's very proud for someone about to take vows. The tour of Hell is quite inventive, and the large magic acts were neat.

The ending should have been predictable for me (especially after the prologue), but I guess I got blinded by all the gore. In retro
Brenda
A few grammatical errors. He kind of overdid the descriptions of hell in a few places. Entertaining story, but it seemed to drag at the end - it took a long time to get through the last two chapters.
Glenn Finley
Funny, Violent, Sick, Bloody,Just Plain sick. Made me want to read the whole thing! Mr. Lee Did it Again!
Misty Battle
Now this is the Edward Lee I know and love. When he is good, he writes one hell of a story. I was sucked into this series by this book alone. The imagery is outstanding and the creativity is awesome. He takes you on one wild ride through hell and gives you glimpses of the true horror that awaits the damned. I loved this book!
Jeff Dabb
Lovecraft wins!
Scu8a8uddy
An average horror. Seemed to be written by an over imaginative teenager with a fixation on gore. ie Lucifer's house has severed heads as the walls, in the bathroom, in the bedroom, in the hallway, on the outside, on the inside blah blah blah blah. It goes on to the point of boredom. I gave up caring. Dull predictable end with a plot lines that are never fully concluded or left open to make you wonder. Gave it 3 stars but it's not really worth that much.
Philip
Another excellent entry into Lee's "Hell" series, Lucifer's Lottery is heavy on descriptions of Hell and light on plot and characters. It is probably the weakest book in the series from the standpoint of plot and characters, but Lee never fails to impress with the imaginative world of Satan's Mephistopolis. This is a good rainy day book that you will burn through in an afternoon.
Micah Zarse
Well if you have a line of disgusting, this book will cross it. It will offend most and make the rest puke. If you have a sick and twisted mind like me then you will love this.
Izabela
The master of horror does it again! The gore and depravity were just what one would hope of Edward Lee. The only reason I did not give it 5 stars was the shift in point of view about a third of the way in. It made the story seem choppy and disrupted the flow. The twist at the end was spectacular!
Steven
I enjoy Ed Lee's Hell series. The books are imaginative and perverse. This is one of the best in the series. A good person who is soon to train as a priest is offered a tour of hell, and a crippled veteran is in despair over his infirmity. Each finds his path leads to unexpected places.
Peter
Hudson Hudson is about to enter the seminar in a few days. Hudson is told by the Deaconess Wilson that he has won the Senary. This only happens once every 666 years. All Hudson has to do is take a tour of Hell and then make up his mind whether to accept or decline the Lottery.
Baldurian
A sort of Dante's Inferno with H.P. Lovecraft as Virgil, a bed made of boobs and beheaded girls as toilet paper? Mr Lee, sir, you have my full attention. What can I say about this book? Well, Lucifer's Lottery is funny as hell (or at least some parts of it).
Inti
I am not normally a fan of gross out fiction or movies, but this book had me enthralled till the end. Not to say the ending wasn't expected. This is lucifer we are talking about. This story shines in its creative descriptions of hell. I will be looking up more by this author.
Lydia Peever
Adored this. As stated earlier, the constant descriptions of Hell grow weary when one is a long-time Lee reader, but hey, it's also what I come back for. I enjoyed this one and liked going back to to the Mephistopolis outside of the City trilogy.
Jeff Barr
Got a little long-winded. I think this takes place after the events of City Infernal, as I believe that Cassie is referenced here as having destroyed Hell previous to the events of Lucifer' Lottery.
Johann Ingi
Sick, twisted tale of sin and deceit. with HP. Lovecraft as the guide through hell this story has lot of interesting ideas and twists. I really liked it...even though it has some problems.
Josh
i really enjoyed the first third of this book, after that it was a struggle to finish. very repetitive and boring. the ending was decent enough to save it from a one star rating.
Nikki ~The Critic~
A what's what of hell and what you see and can do when you get there or are tricked there. Not my favorite Lee. Perversity and degradation are included~
Chris
Aug 07, 2013 Chris rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
This was a great novel, my first of Edward Lee. The description was unreal. Im am an instant fan. I look forward to reading many more of his books.
  • Sleep Disorder
  • The Resurrectionist
  • The Killing Kind
  • Necro Files: Two Decades of Extreme Horror
  • Clickers
  • Genital Grinder
  • The Cage
  • Crab Town

Edward Lee was born (er, jettisoned) into the world on May 25, 1957, and was raised in Bowie, Md. He has sold 15 novels and continues to pursue the ludicrous profession of freelance writing. From 1976-79, he served in the U.S. Army Security Agency and then was transferred to the 1st Armored Division in Erlangen,
More about Edward Lee...

City Infernal (4 books)
  • City Infernal (City Infernal, #1)
  • Infernal Angel (City Infernal, #2)
  • House Infernal (City Infernal, #3)
City Infernal (City Infernal, #1) Flesh Gothic House Infernal (City Infernal, #3) Infernal Angel (City Infernal, #2) The Backwoods