My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns 1936-62

My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns 1936-62

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Recently named "Woman of the Century" in a survey conducted by the National Women's Hall of Fame, Eleanor Roosevelt wrote her hugely popular syndicated column "My Day" for over a quarter of that century, from 1936 to 1962. This collection brings together for the first time in a single volume the most memorable of those columns, written with singular wit, elegance, compassi...more
Published March 8th 2001 by Da Capo Press (first published 1989)

Marcia
Eleanor Roosevelt was say ahead of her time and in fact way ahead of our time. Her comments and observations are incredibly timely and incredibly right on. If we as a country had listened to her and had been moved to action by her observations, I believe the world would be a whole lot better off than it is now and certainly the United States of American would be. Everyone should read this book. Greg Mortenson practices mucch of what Mrs. Roosevelt recommended and his work is paying off in Pakist...more
Lexish
Loved it! Eleanor Roosevelt wrote her "My Day" column during the critical pre-war and World War II years when her husband was President. This book organizes her columns chronologically from 1936 through the death of FDR in 1945. The editors were wise in giving brief but thorough notes prior to many columns so readers would understand the events to which the First Lady was responding in her writings on a given day.

In her columns, Eleanor Roosevelt emphasizes that she is very much a regular person...more
Jill
This book presents various My Day columns that Eleanor wrote, starting in the late 1930's through 1962. They are presented with historical and personal information that places them in context and provides a sampling of her thoughts, opinions, and actions. It took awhile to get through the book because some of the reading was heavy - discussing wars and arms races and racial and religious prejudices in the U.S., etc., but it was lightened with anecdotes about the daily lives of the Roosevelts. My...more
Kym
Love Eleanor Roosevelt - really disliked this book. I am so surprised people like this book. I was expecting whole entries from her newspaper columns with maybe some editorial here and there. This book is nothing but a bunch of editorial with snippets of her columns (and I'm not sure that I would ever consider them the "best of"). I found a gem here or there but am SO disappointed in this book. I love to read about Eleanor Roosevelt and was looking forward to reading HER words, HER thoughts, and...more
Virginia Albanese
Copy I read is only the Post War years but her usual folksy articles covering current events, relationships, and opinions of life and world events.
Lea
Jul 16, 2012 Lea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: history
The history that begins each year is informative and helpful to place in perspective. The biographical information provided in italics preceding each article sheds light on ERs current thoughts and situation. I found her encouraging, idealistic and pleasant. Her opinions are on topic, even now, expressing the liberal perspective. I enjoyed this more than The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt and felt it gave more insight into her life as well as better expressed her opinions. Recommend for all...more
Tori Kae
Mrs. Roosevelt has always been my favorite historical figure. She carried such a strong ethical common sense that spilled into every day living. The introduction by Martha Gellhorn, a long-time close friend, is a rare and gentle read into the life of Eleanor. What I really enjoy about this reading are the every day truths of facing fear and having strength and courage to face any situation. She writes without indignation, and interjects a dry and kind humor.
Marvin
This small sampling of Eleanor Roosevelt's thoughts and convictions was enlightening and defines a extraordinary women. Her insight into people, societies, values and politics is amazing and her non-stop life is something anyone could aspire to. She would have made a great president except for her honesty which would have hindered her effectiveness in dealing with the political machine.
Kathy
Really enjoyed this book, maybe I should have given it 4 stars but while I appreciated the history lesson and background at the beginning of the chapters to set up the columns, I found it very tedious that they then retaught you the history before each column too. I did learn ALOT, but found it hard to get into the flow of the book. She was a great lady.
Crystal
A superb collection of Eleanor Roosevelt's best "My Day" columns, this book does not disappoint! From the mundane tasks of everyday life to majestic trips abroad, ER relates them all with ease and familiarity. Having this book in your collection will give you a rare glimpse into the mind of ER herself, not just a biographer!
Ris
i read this as a companion piece to eleanor roosevelt's epic biography. i wanted something in her own words. and it was good, but in some ways i feel as though the bio captured her even more. her public tone was so strong in these columns.
Lynne Marie
Eleanor Roosevelt truly was such a progressive woman. In one column she recommended to her readers that they learn Spanish because it was going to become necessary in the future. Boy, what she right.
Shauna
Excerpts from Eleanor Roosevelts long running daily newspaper column. an interesting look into a very impressive woman. One of my book groups read anything about Eleanor or by her. What a great topic!
Joni
Delightful period essays and columns from the indomitable Eleanor Roosevelt, first lady extraordinaire. Sassy, wise and brimming with humanity, one learns much from her wisdom and panache.
Marcie
I thought I was going to like this more than I did. It was a cross between a collection of her articles and a biography but I wasn't really satisfied by the depth of either one.
G.
Its fascinating/depressing how little the world has changed in 50+ years. She talked about the same issues we do today: Haiti, energy usage, nuclear power.
Phoenix
Fascinating era, formidable woman, brilliant look into her daily life.
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2014
Kayla
Kayla marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Kathleen
Kathleen marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Jagadish Singh.R
Jagadish Singh.R marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Eruch
Eruch marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Mar 09, 2014
Maureen
Maureen marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Christy Medlock
Christy Medlock marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Melissa Maaske
Melissa Maaske marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Anna Eleanor Roosevelt was an American political leader who used her influence as an active First Lady from 1933 to 1945 to promote the New Deal policies of her husband, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, as well as taking a prominent role as an advocate for civil rights. After her husband's death in 1945, she continued to be an internationally prominent author and speaker for the New Deal coalition...more
More about Eleanor Roosevelt...
The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life This I Remember This is My Story On My Own

“If you lose money you lose much,
If you lose friends you lose more,
If you lose faith you lose all.”
15 likes