Start by marking “My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns 1936-62” as Want to Read:
My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns 1936-62

My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns 1936-62

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Recently named "Woman of the Century" in a survey conducted by the National Women's Hall of Fame, Eleanor Roosevelt wrote her hugely popular syndicated column "My Day" for over a quarter of that century, from 1936 to 1962. This collection brings together for the first time in a single volume the most memorable of those columns, written with singular wit, elegance, compassi ...more
Published March 8th 2001 by Da Capo Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about My Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Day

Kym
Love Eleanor Roosevelt - really disliked this book. I am so surprised people like this book. I was expecting whole entries from her newspaper columns with maybe some editorial here and there. This book is nothing but a bunch of editorial with snippets of her columns (and I'm not sure that I would ever consider them the "best of"). I found a gem here or there but am SO disappointed in this book. I love to read about Eleanor Roosevelt and was looking forward to reading HER words, HER thoughts, and ...more
David
Somewhat dissatisfied with most of this book. The paragraphs introducing most days' entries speak of the bold statements she is making, but most entries seem rather conciliatory. I don't know whether my impression is because of the half-century of attitude changes in the country, her own natural reticence or the wise hesitance to alienate the wide audience she felt privileged to address. But it left an overall flat impression. The one time she really let herself go (blasting Eisenhower, Nixon an ...more
Marcia
Eleanor Roosevelt was say ahead of her time and in fact way ahead of our time. Her comments and observations are incredibly timely and incredibly right on. If we as a country had listened to her and had been moved to action by her observations, I believe the world would be a whole lot better off than it is now and certainly the United States of American would be. Everyone should read this book. Greg Mortenson practices mucch of what Mrs. Roosevelt recommended and his work is paying off in Pakist ...more
Lexish
Loved it! Eleanor Roosevelt wrote her "My Day" column during the critical pre-war and World War II years when her husband was President. This book organizes her columns chronologically from 1936 through the death of FDR in 1945. The editors were wise in giving brief but thorough notes prior to many columns so readers would understand the events to which the First Lady was responding in her writings on a given day.

In her columns, Eleanor Roosevelt emphasizes that she is very much a regular person
Jill
This book presents various My Day columns that Eleanor wrote, starting in the late 1930's through 1962. They are presented with historical and personal information that places them in context and provides a sampling of her thoughts, opinions, and actions. It took awhile to get through the book because some of the reading was heavy - discussing wars and arms races and racial and religious prejudices in the U.S., etc., but it was lightened with anecdotes about the daily lives of the Roosevelts. My ...more
Kathy Fields
I thought I was getting a book that was mostly My Day columns, but there is a lot more commentary and explanatory history than I expected. If you want to read just the columns, George Washington University has a complete collection of My Day columns at http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/myday/#
Lea
The history that begins each year is informative and helpful to place in perspective. The biographical information provided in italics preceding each article sheds light on ERs current thoughts and situation. I found her encouraging, idealistic and pleasant. Her opinions are on topic, even now, expressing the liberal perspective. I enjoyed this more than The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt and felt it gave more insight into her life as well as better expressed her opinions. Recommend for all ...more
Tori Kae
Mrs. Roosevelt has always been my favorite historical figure. She carried such a strong ethical common sense that spilled into every day living. The introduction by Martha Gellhorn, a long-time close friend, is a rare and gentle read into the life of Eleanor. What I really enjoy about this reading are the every day truths of facing fear and having strength and courage to face any situation. She writes without indignation, and interjects a dry and kind humor.
Marvin
This small sampling of Eleanor Roosevelt's thoughts and convictions was enlightening and defines a extraordinary women. Her insight into people, societies, values and politics is amazing and her non-stop life is something anyone could aspire to. She would have made a great president except for her honesty which would have hindered her effectiveness in dealing with the political machine.
Kathy
Really enjoyed this book, maybe I should have given it 4 stars but while I appreciated the history lesson and background at the beginning of the chapters to set up the columns, I found it very tedious that they then retaught you the history before each column too. I did learn ALOT, but found it hard to get into the flow of the book. She was a great lady.
Wayne Geiser
"A Book Your Mom/Dad Loves" for this year's reading challenge.
Crystal
A superb collection of Eleanor Roosevelt's best "My Day" columns, this book does not disappoint! From the mundane tasks of everyday life to majestic trips abroad, ER relates them all with ease and familiarity. Having this book in your collection will give you a rare glimpse into the mind of ER herself, not just a biographer!
Ris
i read this as a companion piece to eleanor roosevelt's epic biography. i wanted something in her own words. and it was good, but in some ways i feel as though the bio captured her even more. her public tone was so strong in these columns.
Lynne Marie
Eleanor Roosevelt truly was such a progressive woman. In one column she recommended to her readers that they learn Spanish because it was going to become necessary in the future. Boy, what she right.
Shauna
Excerpts from Eleanor Roosevelts long running daily newspaper column. an interesting look into a very impressive woman. One of my book groups read anything about Eleanor or by her. What a great topic!
Joni
Delightful period essays and columns from the indomitable Eleanor Roosevelt, first lady extraordinaire. Sassy, wise and brimming with humanity, one learns much from her wisdom and panache.
Marcie
I thought I was going to like this more than I did. It was a cross between a collection of her articles and a biography but I wasn't really satisfied by the depth of either one.
G.
Its fascinating/depressing how little the world has changed in 50+ years. She talked about the same issues we do today: Haiti, energy usage, nuclear power.
Virginia Albanese
Copy I read is only the Post War years but her usual folksy articles covering current events, relationships, and opinions of life and world events.
Phoenix
Fascinating era, formidable woman, brilliant look into her daily life.
Angela
Angela added it
Jun 29, 2015
Michelle
Michelle is currently reading it
Jun 22, 2015
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2015
Jeanne
Jeanne marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Kathy C. Myers
Kathy C. Myers marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
  • The Day Freedom Died: The Colfax Massacre, the Supreme Court and the Betrayal of Reconstruction
  • Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way: Timeless Strategies from the First Lady of Courage
  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Vol 2, The Defining Years, 1933-38
  • Thomas Cromwell: The Rise and Fall of Henry VIII's Most Notorious Minister
  • Outside the Not So Big House: Creating the Landscape of Home
  • A Chance Meeting
  • Blood and Faith: The Purging of Muslim Spain
  • While America Sleeps: A Wake-up Call for the Post-9/11 Era
  • The Royal Stuarts: A History of the Family That Shaped Britain
  • Promised Land: Thirteen Books That Changed America
  • Bill of Wrongs: The Executive Branch's Assault on America's Fundamental Rights
  • The Women Who Wrote the War
  • Mankiller: A Chief and Her People
  • India Calling: An Intimate Portrait of a Nation's Remaking
  • Anne Boleyn: Fatal Attractions
  • Tudor Queens of England
  • Fires of Faith: Catholic England Under Mary Tudor
  • I Am Mary Tudor (Mary Tudor, #1)
Anna Eleanor Roosevelt was an American political leader who used her influence as an active First Lady from 1933 to 1945 to promote the New Deal policies of her husband, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, as well as taking a prominent role as an advocate for civil rights. After her husband's death in 1945, she continued to be an internationally prominent author and speaker for the New Deal coalition ...more
More about Eleanor Roosevelt...
The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt You Learn by Living: Eleven Keys for a More Fulfilling Life This I Remember This is My Story Tomorrow Is Now

“If you lose money you lose much,
If you lose friends you lose more,
If you lose faith you lose all.”
18 likes