Start by marking “My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns 1936-62” as Want to Read:
My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns 1936-62

My Day: The Best of Eleanor Roosevelt's Acclaimed Newspaper Columns 1936-62

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  179 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Recently named "Woman of the Century" in a survey conducted by the National Women's Hall of Fame, Eleanor Roosevelt wrote her hugely popular syndicated column "My Day" for over a quarter of that century, from 1936 to 1962. This collection brings together for the first time in a single volume the most memorable of those columns, written with singular wit, elegance, compassi ...more
Published March 8th 2001 by Da Capo Press (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about My Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Day

Colleen
Apr 15, 2016 Colleen rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, ww2
I know shocking, but this is only getting a two from me. I read it ridiculously fast and somehow I highly doubt this is the "best"--it was only after googling to see if there was a FULL collection of her columns, I stumbled upon this:

Not sure why that site is so broken, but all her full columns are there, so now that I finished reading the Jefferson correspondence that is archived online, I guess this will be my next project.

This book--while good and fast
Kym
May 02, 2012 Kym rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Love Eleanor Roosevelt - really disliked this book. I am so surprised people like this book. I was expecting whole entries from her newspaper columns with maybe some editorial here and there. This book is nothing but a bunch of editorial with snippets of her columns (and I'm not sure that I would ever consider them the "best of"). I found a gem here or there but am SO disappointed in this book. I love to read about Eleanor Roosevelt and was looking forward to reading HER words, HER thoughts, and ...more
Gretchen
Jul 08, 2015 Gretchen rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this selection of Eleanor Roosevelt's daily columns - hard to beleive she was what we would refer to as a "blogger" back in the 1930's - 1960's! I especailly liked the contextual references included by the editor. Nicely done.
David
Jun 24, 2015 David rated it liked it
Somewhat dissatisfied with most of this book. The paragraphs introducing most days' entries speak of the bold statements she is making, but most entries seem rather conciliatory. I don't know whether my impression is because of the half-century of attitude changes in the country, her own natural reticence or the wise hesitance to alienate the wide audience she felt privileged to address. But it left an overall flat impression. The one time she really let herself go (blasting Eisenhower, Nixon an ...more
Marcia
Jan 18, 2010 Marcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eleanor Roosevelt was say ahead of her time and in fact way ahead of our time. Her comments and observations are incredibly timely and incredibly right on. If we as a country had listened to her and had been moved to action by her observations, I believe the world would be a whole lot better off than it is now and certainly the United States of American would be. Everyone should read this book. Greg Mortenson practices mucch of what Mrs. Roosevelt recommended and his work is paying off in Pakist ...more
Lexish
Feb 24, 2012 Lexish rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Eleanor Roosevelt wrote her "My Day" column during the critical pre-war and World War II years when her husband was President. This book organizes her columns chronologically from 1936 through the death of FDR in 1945. The editors were wise in giving brief but thorough notes prior to many columns so readers would understand the events to which the First Lady was responding in her writings on a given day.

In her columns, Eleanor Roosevelt emphasizes that she is very much a regular person
Jill
May 25, 2008 Jill rated it really liked it
This book presents various My Day columns that Eleanor wrote, starting in the late 1930's through 1962. They are presented with historical and personal information that places them in context and provides a sampling of her thoughts, opinions, and actions. It took awhile to get through the book because some of the reading was heavy - discussing wars and arms races and racial and religious prejudices in the U.S., etc., but it was lightened with anecdotes about the daily lives of the Roosevelts. My ...more
Kathy Fields
Nov 09, 2014 Kathy Fields rated it it was amazing
I thought I was getting a book that was mostly My Day columns, but there is a lot more commentary and explanatory history than I expected. If you want to read just the columns, George Washington University has a complete collection of My Day columns at http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/myday/#
Lea
Oct 25, 2014 Lea rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir-biography
The history that begins each year is informative and helpful to place in perspective. The biographical information provided in italics preceding each article sheds light on ERs current thoughts and situation. I found her encouraging, idealistic and pleasant. Her opinions are on topic, even now, expressing the liberal perspective. I enjoyed this more than The Autobiography of Eleanor Roosevelt and felt it gave more insight into her life as well as better expressed her opinions. Recommend for all ...more
Jan 16, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
Purchased at ValKill. Fascinated that she wrote every day! She wrote so much that this felt like it was just skimming the surface.
Tori Kae
Mrs. Roosevelt has always been my favorite historical figure. She carried such a strong ethical common sense that spilled into every day living. The introduction by Martha Gellhorn, a long-time close friend, is a rare and gentle read into the life of Eleanor. What I really enjoy about this reading are the every day truths of facing fear and having strength and courage to face any situation. She writes without indignation, and interjects a dry and kind humor.
Marvin
Mar 20, 2013 Marvin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This small sampling of Eleanor Roosevelt's thoughts and convictions was enlightening and defines a extraordinary women. Her insight into people, societies, values and politics is amazing and her non-stop life is something anyone could aspire to. She would have made a great president except for her honesty which would have hindered her effectiveness in dealing with the political machine.
Kathy
Jun 15, 2008 Kathy rated it liked it
Really enjoyed this book, maybe I should have given it 4 stars but while I appreciated the history lesson and background at the beginning of the chapters to set up the columns, I found it very tedious that they then retaught you the history before each column too. I did learn ALOT, but found it hard to get into the flow of the book. She was a great lady.
Wayne Geiser
Apr 02, 2015 Wayne Geiser rated it liked it
"A Book Your Mom/Dad Loves" for this year's reading challenge.
Crystal
Feb 15, 2013 Crystal rated it it was amazing
A superb collection of Eleanor Roosevelt's best "My Day" columns, this book does not disappoint! From the mundane tasks of everyday life to majestic trips abroad, ER relates them all with ease and familiarity. Having this book in your collection will give you a rare glimpse into the mind of ER herself, not just a biographer!
Ris
Mar 30, 2008 Ris rated it it was ok
i read this as a companion piece to eleanor roosevelt's epic biography. i wanted something in her own words. and it was good, but in some ways i feel as though the bio captured her even more. her public tone was so strong in these columns.
Lynne Marie
Oct 05, 2010 Lynne Marie rated it really liked it
Eleanor Roosevelt truly was such a progressive woman. In one column she recommended to her readers that they learn Spanish because it was going to become necessary in the future. Boy, what she right.
Shauna
Dec 05, 2008 Shauna rated it liked it
Excerpts from Eleanor Roosevelts long running daily newspaper column. an interesting look into a very impressive woman. One of my book groups read anything about Eleanor or by her. What a great topic!
Joni
Aug 26, 2013 Joni rated it liked it
Delightful period essays and columns from the indomitable Eleanor Roosevelt, first lady extraordinaire. Sassy, wise and brimming with humanity, one learns much from her wisdom and panache.
Marcie
Aug 27, 2008 Marcie rated it it was ok
I thought I was going to like this more than I did. It was a cross between a collection of her articles and a biography but I wasn't really satisfied by the depth of either one.
Kim Lanza
Apr 18, 2016 Kim Lanza rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A fall trip to Hyde Park sparked my interest in Eleanor Roosevelt. Reading her columns solidified my respect for her. As a woman. As an activist. As a writer.
G.
Aug 02, 2011 G. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its fascinating/depressing how little the world has changed in 50+ years. She talked about the same issues we do today: Haiti, energy usage, nuclear power.
Virginia Albanese
Mar 29, 2014 Virginia Albanese rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Copy I read is only the Post War years but her usual folksy articles covering current events, relationships, and opinions of life and world events.
Phoenix
Nov 16, 2010 Phoenix rated it really liked it
Fascinating era, formidable woman, brilliant look into her daily life.
Michele bookloverforever
Jul 22, 2013 Michele bookloverforever rated it really liked it
Shelves: autobiography, memoir
in her own words
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Frances Pullen
Frances Pullen rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Johanna Delgado
Johanna Delgado marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Padri Veum
Padri Veum rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2016
Cindy Clapp
Cindy Clapp rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
  • A Chance Meeting
  • Promised Land: Thirteen Books That Changed America
  • Leadership the Eleanor Roosevelt Way: Timeless Strategies from the First Lady of Courage
  • The Day Freedom Died: The Colfax Massacre, the Supreme Court and the Betrayal of Reconstruction
  • Eleanor Roosevelt: Vol 2, The Defining Years, 1933-38
  • Thomas Cromwell: The Rise and Fall of Henry VIII's Most Notorious Minister
  • While America Sleeps: A Wake-up Call for the Post-9/11 Era
  • American Warlords: How Roosevelt's High Command Led America to Victory in World War II
  • The Women Who Wrote the War
  • A White House Diary
  • Fires of Faith: Catholic England Under Mary Tudor
  • Eminence: Cardinal Richelieu and the Rise of France
  • Mankiller: A Chief and Her People
  • The Last Divine Office: Henry VIII and the Dissolution of the Monasteries
  • The Royal Stuarts: A History of the Family That Shaped Britain
  • Roget's 21st Century Thesaurus (21st Century Reference)
  • Wild Feminine: Finding Power, Spirit, & Joy in the Root of the Female Body
  • الدين والدم: إبادة شعب الأندلس
Anna Eleanor Roosevelt was an American political leader who used her influence as an active First Lady from 1933 to 1945 to promote the New Deal policies of her husband, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, as well as taking a prominent role as an advocate for civil rights. After her husband's death in 1945, she continued to be an internationally prominent author and speaker for the New Deal coalition ...more
More about Eleanor Roosevelt...

“If you lose money you lose much,
If you lose friends you lose more,
If you lose faith you lose all.”
22 likes
“The separation of church and state is extremely important to any of us who hold to the original traditions of our nation. To change these traditions by changing our traditional attitude toward public education would be harmful, I think, to our whole attitude of tolerance in the religious area.” 1 likes