Start by marking “Dark Desire (Carpathians, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dark Desire (Carpathians, #2)

Dark Desire (Dark Saga #2)

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  19,246 ratings  ·  538 reviews
They were masters of the darkness, searching through eternity for a mistress of the light . . .

The stranger silently summoned her from across the continents, across the seas, whispering of eternal torment, of endless hunger . . . of dark, dangerous desires. And somehow American surgeon Shea O'Halloran could feel his anguish, sense his haunting aloneness.

Drawn to the far Ca
Published July 20th 2010 by HarperCollins (first published December 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Desire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Desire

Beth F.
Will someone please explain to me how a couple can have sex when he’s on top and she’s on the bottom and her jeans are pushed down but still around her ankles? Because frankly, I really don’t think that is humanly possible. If she was bent over, alright. Or if they were really stretchy pants with an elastic waistband, maybe. Or if the jeans are only around one ankle but have completely slipped off the other, definitely. But if they’re hiding out in a secret Carpathian cave and they are immediate ...more
Lou
I enjoyed Dark Prince but this book is just more of the same thing. I am Carpathian hierarchy and not a Vampire and still they are having problems getting a life-mate just wanted more drama more action, i was expecting more and i think this is where i do not go any further in the series. There are so many good books to read at the moment.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Rhapsody
Apr 08, 2007 Rhapsody rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: paranormal romance readers
I like the ideas behind this series, but the writing style puts me off a little. Too much of the focus is on the romance, and not enough on the events or the plot. It was very repetitive at times; again and again, we have to listen to beautiful Jacques thinks Shea is and how people are feeling toward one another. Normally I love that sort of thing, but it was too much for me. I also found the dialogue somewhat lacking. Still, I'm moderately into the series still. I'm most interested in reading G ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
There is something about the way that Christine Feehan writes. I think she really pours her heart into her stories. There is so much intensity there. This was a really interesting, enjoyable read. I can't say it's my favorite Feehan because I am so in love with the Ghostwalkers. But I must say that Feehan's take on vampires really captivated me and sucked me in. I find that I am becoming a big fan of vampire romance, and this book probably helped to push me over the edge.

Jacques is one tortured
Tilly Slaton
Dark Desire is the Carpathian story of Jacques and Shea.

Jacques story is extremely intense and incredibly brutal. Captured by vampire hunting fanatics, he is held prisoner for over 7 years. Tortured. Complete agony. After so many years, the physical wounds can heal but the mental ones have made him deadly dangerous and unpredictable.

Sensing the presence of a female, he believes her as his betrayer. He sees in color. He knows she is his lifemate. The rage festering his insides lashes out at her,
SamJ ★Needs a HEA★
Book Basics

Genre : - Paranormal Romance
Series : - Book 2 in the Series. Jacques is the brother of Mikhail from Dark Prince
Writing - Third person, Dual POV.
Main Characters :Shea O'Halloran - a surgeon who is on the run, from "vampire" hunters. Is doing research into a blood disorder she thinks she has.
Jacques Dubrinsky - Carpathian Male, tortured and trapped. He has a mental connection to Shea during his imprisonment. Tortured to the point of madness, he has no memories of his life before
CC
3.5 stars. I am giving this less than 4 stars because I liked the first book better and it was 4 stars for me. But it is still worth rounding up.

I loved the continuation of the story, although I was a little lost until I figured out how long it had been since the end of book 1, Dark Prince. I was surprised by the length of time between books. I mean times were desperate and Mikail and Raven still had not tried to have a child? What was up with that? Anyway, once I got a firm grasp of the timeli
KatieV
I liked this one better than the first (which I enjoyed). This is PNR, so you have to be able to suspend disbelief. Also, these are quite violent PNRs. I love horror, so it's a great combo for me. However, the violence could be a little much for someone who's not a fan.

This has been mentioned over and over in reviews and I'll just briefly re-iterate here. These novels are fairly repetitive. They seem to follow this pattern, so far.

Modern-minded, yet virginal heroine meets ancient, controlling po
Vallsykes
I luv the Carpathians.

I almost never read a series of books in order! I read this bk#2 in the Dark series after I read Dark Magic (in my undisciplined haste to get to Gregori's bk).

The thing is, when meeting Jacques, in Dark Prince, I didn't pay him any attention. He was just important b/c he was a Dubrinsky. No telling idiosyncrasies, no apparent Wooh-ha factor.

Yet, this book, Jacques' story, started very well. Jacques dueled w/ betrayal, loss, psychosis and obsession, and I still didn't get ho
TJ
While this installment of the Carpathians is engaging, it didn't live up to the first. It is darker, Jacques (who is the charming younger brother in book one) has been held and tortured for sevens years and left for dead. He comes out of the experience barely hanging on to his sanity and with a vicious streak a mile wide. The story still has it's twists and turns along with an interesting (if rather dysfunctional) love story, which keeps it moving and would earn it a 3.5 star rating.
Erika

Originally read Fall 2014

RE-READ June 16 2015:

Still loved this and could see myself reading it again in the future (after a long break). Why do I love it so? I am not sure I will be able to put it into words but something about Jacques, the very tortured hero, just captured me and held tight until the end. He was a truly tormented character; his psychic/emotional/physical need for Shea was palpable. Shea was just amazingly forgiving, giving, unselfish, caring and a bunch of other positive quali
Lisa Marie
I don't understand what all the fuss is about over this series.
The women are pathetic, the men are ridiculously needy, and the plotline is weak. Having said that, I did at least finish it, so it must have something about it. What I'm not sure of.

The character of Shea really bothers me. She digs Carpathian Jacques out of the wall and even though he attacks her she still feels the need to help him out. As you do. Seriously, the women need to be much stronger than they are. If I had an overbearing
Kissa
I loved the plot of this book and was so glad to see Raven and the other characters from the first book. Great 2nd book in a series. The only thing I didn't like is the many type errors I found throughout the book. I'm starting on the third this week.
Amy
Soooooo disappointed in this book. All the reviews I've read go on and on about how this is such a great vampire series. Frankly, the same complaints I had about Twilight could be applied to this book. The main character keeps telling everyone what a strong, independent person she is, but the whole book is about her doing whatever this guy wants, and usually against her will. And it's *creepy*. Not in the good way. In the weird Appalachian Deliverance kinda way.

Overall, this book left me with a
Marissa
Audiobook - DNF

I only got about 30% in. It was just drawn out and didn't hold my attention. I know some people really loved this, some hated it. Oh well. To each his own.
Maybe if I had started with the first book instead I would have liked it better, but this was the earliest one available for audio at my library.
Netanella
Well, I made the mistake of reading a few reviews before I started typing my own, and now I feel like a Carpathian lifemate..."I loved it, I loved it not, I loved it, but not if it tells me what to do and I'm starving and pregnant." :)

The second was much better than the first book, and my preference here lies in the slightly insane character of Jacques, who's been tortured and buried alive for seven years, forced to live off bugs and other little crawlies in the night. Shea O'Hallorhan is the br
Gardavson
Ah, how to review this book. I like the premise, the Carpathians, their world, issues, etc. My problem with this book was that I liked Jaques from the first book. He seemed original to the others and I wish the author would have run with his potential to be different in the way in which she projected him in the first book. What I mean is, he seemed to be the only one to find amusement in things, stay light hearted, despite the fact that he had lost his ability to feel emotions centuries before. ...more
Carolyn F.
Re-read, this time by audiobook.

I don't know what's going on with me but this used to be my favorite of the series and now I'm wondering why. The hell these poor Carpathian men have to go through with their lifemates. Do the women (even the pregnant ones) stay inside when others like them are being killed? No, and then question why are the men trying to tell them what do to. Do they feed before they're extremely weak even after years (Raven) of being a Carpathian? No, and the men are accused of
Bron
This is the story of Julian and Shea. Julian is the brother of Mikhael, Prince to the Carpathians, who featured in the first book, Dark Prince.

Julian disappeared at a time when some human vampire hunters were in the mountains and no-one had been able to find him, he had been tortured, staked and left to rot in a box. Somehow Julian had lost his ability to telepathically communicate with his people, however, perhaps because of this loss, he was able to find a girl a long way away. Due to his los
Shana (ReadingVixen)
I almost didn't finish this one. I slogged on through, because I know there are a ba-zillion more in this series, and I want to get to the 3rd one, since most of the time, the 3rd book is the "charm."

But, man..."Dark Desire" was really pissing me off. How can a man -- I don't care if he's Carpathian or not -- how can a man tell a woman he only wants her happiness, puts her above all others, is looking out for her, etc., and then FORCE her to accept HIS way of thinking, HIS way of doing things, H
Katya
Maria
When I read the first Carpathian novel I thought that was dark. I must say that this is even darker.
The hero, Jacques, has been tortured and buried alive for seven years and he has slowly been converted to a monster without speech, thriving on hatred and revenge.
He lives to find and kill the humans and the vampire responsible for his confinement but also to find and hurt the woman he sees in his visions. The beautiful read head that dosent answer his call for help.
After seven years of trials a
Sophie *Ninja Rapunzel*
i liked this one a little more than the first one i think...
altho it had his moments- Jacques annoyed me sometimes with how angry he got or how he knew Mikhail was his brother and he still didnt fully trust him or Gregori.. but i think in the end he did.
it was sad that it had to happen to Jacques.. coz in the first book he was so happy and jokey and i relli liked his character, and then he was all tormented and evil and sadistic in this one.. never truely the Jacques we saw in the first book :
Pete
In starting this series after becoming a PNR addict with DH and BDB series, I enjoy reading series in chronological order to obtain the background, principal geography, value systems and common traits of the characters. Dark Desire after Dark Prince introduced me to characters to whom I can relate. In DP I became very envious of The Healer’s skills in surgical healing via powers. (I can’t wait to get to Book 4).

Shea O'Halloran, an independent distinguished surgeon is a character I admired from t
Dianne
Okay, it's a romance novel...so this is a guilty pleasure for me. I read the first in this series and enjoyed the characters. I wanted to come back and see how they were doing and read more about the other characters moving forward.

It's only book 2 in the series and I'm tired of the term "lifemate" that the Carpathians use. It's more annoying than old world to me. I don't really care for the way the Carpathians talk, either. They never say don't or can't...it's always do not or cannot...let us
Ana T.
Ever since i finished Dark Prince a few months back I've been wanting to continue reading the Carpathian books, this rereading challenge seemed just the perfect opportunity!! And as soon as I started reading it I was again under the spell of Feehan's writing.

The stranger silently summons her from across the continents, across the seas. He whispers of eternal torment, of endless hunger...of dark, dangerous desires. And somehow American surgeon Shea O'Halloran can feel his anguish, sense his haun
 PuMbA's MoMmy*•.♥.•*
Dark Desire was an enjoyable read. I enjoyed this one more than I did the first book in the series. It was very exciting when Mykel and Raven showed up in this storyline! Shea’s story was a very sad one. I was pulled in right away when she was talking about her mother Maggie and her love for Rand. Maggie’s final love sacrifice for Rand was a testimate that true Carpathian’s life-mates can not live without the other. Towards the ending of the book everything that Jacque was telling Rand was very ...more
Nona
I read this a few months ago but recently stumbled across it again when looking for a PNR to read. If I remember correctly Shae is a Doctor in America and drawn or compelled to the Carpthian mountians by Jacques a Carpthian male who's been tortured and restrained for a while. Shae finds him and Jacques blames her for taking her sweet time and makes her pay but ultimately he realizes she is his lifemate and they have their HEA.

I have a love hate with this series, I love the whole idea of the stor
Roksana

What I liked the most about this book is no element of cheating...

The heroin on the other hand was just what I like.. strong, independent and compassionate!She truly won me over with her determination to aid others in need.

It took me some time to worn up to the hero, but eventually he proved himself to be equal mate to the heroin and I like the element of possessiveness from Jacques and his deep need to have her at all cost! the emotions were raw and exposed...and it just pooled me in immediatel
Cindyg
I'm really getting hook on this series. It's been in my TBR pile forever.
I must admit I enjoyed Dark Prince more, mainly because Shea's acceptance as to her destiny dragged out to long.
I love this world and these incredible creatures, I love the total commitment on the males' part and how hard they work at gaining the love and trust of their lifemates.
I'm getting obsessed, I couldn't put this damn book down, had to know what was going to happen next.
There probably aren't many of you who haven't
  • After Twilight (Dark, #7)
  • Unleash the Night (Were-Hunter #2)
  • Tall, Dark & Hungry (Argeneau #4)
  • Master of the Moon (Mageverse, #2)
  • Lion's Heat (Breeds, #21)
  • Private Demon (Darkyn, #2)
  • I Hunger for You (Primes, #3)
  • My Lord Immortality (Immortal Rogues, #3)
  • The Undead Next Door (Love at Stake, #4)
Christine Feehan is a #1 New York Times bestselling author multiple times over with her portfolio including over 50 published novels, including five series; Dark Series, Ghostwalker Series, Leopard Series, Drake Sisters Series, & the Sisters of the Heart Series. All five series hit the #1 spot on the New York Times bestselling list as well. Her debut novel Dark Prince received 3 of the 9 Paran ...more
More about Christine Feehan...

Dark Saga (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Dark Prince (Dark, #1)
  • Dark Gold (Dark, #3)
  • Dark Magic (Dark #4)
  • Dark Challenge (Dark, #5)
  • Dark Fire (Dark, #6)
  • Dark Dream (Dark, #7)
  • Dark Legend (Dark,  #8)
  • Dark Guardian (Dark, #9)
  • The Scarletti Curse
  • Dark Symphony  (Dark, #10)
Dark Prince (Dark, #1) Dark Magic (Dark #4) Dark Gold (Dark, #3) Dark Fire (Dark, #6) Dark Guardian (Dark, #9)

“We could get kinky and see how bats and rats make love, he suggested in a whisper, warm breath against her neck.
You are a sick man, Jacques. Very, very sick.”
25 likes
“I love you.” He grinned unexpectedly, traced he lower lip with the tip of a finger. “What is more, I know you love me. You hide it from yourself, but I found it in a little corner, tucked away in your mind.”
Shea stared up at the teasing smile on his face, then pushed at the solid wall of his chest. “You’re making that up.”
Jacques moved off her, then reached down to pull her to her feet. His clothes were scattered everywhere, and he made no move to retrieve them. Shea’s shirt was still hanging open, and her jeans were down around her ankles. Blushing, she pulled them up. His hand stayed hers, preventing her from fastening them. “Do not bother, Shea. The pools are just ahead.” He walked a few feet, then looked back over his shoulder. “I did not make it up, and I know you are staring at my backside.”
Shea tossed her mane of red hair so that it flew in all directions. “Any woman in her right mind would stare at your particular backside, so you don’t need to add that to your arrogant list of virtues. And stay out of my mind unless you’re invited.” She was staring, but she couldn’t help it. He was so beautifully masculine.
Jacques reached behind him and captured her hand, lacing their fingers together. “But I find the most interesting things in your mind, my love. Things you do not have any intention of telling me.”
13 likes