Start by marking “True Spirit: The Aussie Girl Who Took On The World” as Want to Read:
True Spirit: The Aussie Girl Who Took On The World

True Spirit: The Aussie Girl Who Took On The World

The personal story of the youngest person to sail around the world single handedly from October 2009 to May 2010 - at the age of 16: 240 days and 23,000 nautical miles.
Published October 1st 2010 by Hachette Australia (first published July 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about True Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True Spirit

True Spirit by Jessica WatsonDawn by Dawn FraserLayne Beachley by Michael    GordonThe Encyclopedia Of Rugby League Players by Alan WhitickerTumble Turns by Shane Gould
Australian Sport
1st out of 22 books — 6 voters
Life of Pi by Yann MartelThe Old Man and the Sea by Ernest HemingwayMoby-Dick; or, The Whale by Herman MelvilleTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe Odyssey by Homer
Boat Books
177th out of 524 books — 409 voters

More lists with this book...

Kimberly
Jan 09, 2012 Kimberly rated it liked it
True Spirit: The Aussie Girl Who Took on the World by Jessica Watson
Reviewed by: Kimberly Reikow
Have you ever dreamed of going on an adventure to a far off land all by yourself? What if that adventure took you throughout the major oceans in the world? From October of 2009 to May of 2010, 16 year old Jessica Watson circumnavigated the globe, making herself the youngest person to sail non-stop, solo, and unassisted around the world. Throughout her seven month journey, Jessica wrote in her blog abo
Rusty Henrichsen
Feb 04, 2012 Rusty Henrichsen rated it really liked it
Great story of a 16 year-old girl who took on the high seas in a 34 foot sailboat. She started out as a little girl afraid of everything and gradually changed as she learned to sail (among other things). She began pestering her parents when she was 12 and by the time she was 14, they not only had given her permission to follow her dream but were actively working to make it a reality.

Sailing solo, non-stop around the world is easier these days with all the various electronic equipment available b
Bookworm01
Dec 29, 2011 Bookworm01 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Bookworm01 by: my friend
Shelves: favourites
This is a great book about the very brave Jessica Watson.
you follow her non stop journey around the world and it makes you feel like you are there with her as she describes what she had for dinner and stuff like that.
A great book.
Jill
Jan 12, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing
What an awesome story! You may remember last year when there was a bit of controversy over a young (16years old) Australian girl wanting to sail solo, round-the-World. Well, True Spirit is her story. Watson and her family lived on a boat for several years and this was when she developed her love of sailing. She loved to read about sailors and their solo journeys around the World. At around age 14, she decided that she would like to become the youngest person to sail solo and unassisted around th ...more
Laura bayfield
Jul 23, 2013 Laura bayfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review
I chose to read 'True Spirit' an autobiography written by Jessica Watson about her journey circumnavigating the world single handed at the age of 16 because my Grandparents decided to get me a copy of her novel for my Birthday. I really enjoyed reading about her journey because i to love to sail. This inspiring novel falls into the category of a dairy, autobiography or biography. Jessica Watson wrote her autobiography as she was sailing around the world and published it a year after she returned ...more
Shallee McArthur
Aug 01, 2011 Shallee McArthur rated it it was amazing
I followed Jessica's journey while it was happening through her blog, and was inspired with every post. So it's no surprise I bought her book as soon as I heard it was out. Seriously, folks, AMAZING. The book was written by Jessica herself, pulling from her blog posts, and I loved that the story came out in Jessica's own voice.

The book is so full of hope, enthusiasm, and encouragement, I feel like it's practically a self-help book on achieving your dreams. Only so much better, because you get an
Nick Smart
When I read Jessica's autobiography it touched me in a way that being out in the ocean all by yourself facing challenges you have never experienced or not even trained for would be very challenging. I am inspired by how she coped through her tough times out at sea and the good times she had.
This book was put into a lot of detail and Jessica has put a lot of time into it just going over the minor bits to make it a lot better, so the viewer can enjoy every part which I think was achieved. The boo
Susan
This book is really inspiring and touching.
I loved reading Watson's story of how she solo circumnavigated around the world. The way in which this is written is that she has taken her blog and added extras into what she write as she travelled around the globe. So what you get is a very as it happens story with extra insights that only reflection on an event can get you.
In terms of what she says throughout her book. The parts that inspire me are how she constantly claims on clearly believes and
A Reader's Heaven
In 2010, Jessica Watson became the youngest person to sail around the world solo, unassisted and non-stop. For that feat she will always be admired and respected. A fantastic achievement and, as she says in her book, an example for others of doing whatever you set your mind to.

During her trip, Jessica blogged most days about her adventure. After returning home, Jessica sat down and compiled this book, using her blog as the basis for it. Sadly, this made for pretty poor reading.

The book starts pr
Sarah W
Aug 10, 2010 Sarah W rated it really liked it
When I was 15 I remember following Australian’s Jesse Martin on his solo nonstop and unassisted circumnavigation of the globe from the comfort of my classroom. At 16 I remember taking an interest in sailing, perhaps partly inspired by Jesse’s adventure, but mostly it was due to the influence of friends. When I was 17 I recall reading the story of Jesse Martin’s journey, his book Lionheart and I could not help but wondering how a 17-year-old could be so determined, brave and so willing to face so ...more
Judith Symonds
Jan 13, 2011 Judith Symonds rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I recommended to everyone who would listen to me. Dad was given a copy at his the dinner to celebrate his 70 years and at the time, I thought I would like to read it. However, Dad gave such glowing reviews of the book that I had to add it to my reading list and when it came, I couldn't put it down. Jessica did her trip for the most genuine reasons and there are many take away personal development messages that I took from reading her book which I won't spoil for you ...more
Taylor
Oct 12, 2010 Taylor rated it really liked it
I was enthralled with 16-year-old Australian Jessica Watson's sail around the world and followed her progress on her blog as she went. I was happy to see she was writing a book about her adventure but unsure about how quickly she wrote it once home--it didn't leave much time for reflection, which seems essential for a journey of this magnitude.

I enjoyed reading how she came to sail and what sort of family she grew up in. Once she hits the water, it's mostly her blog posts but she does add addit
Alisha Brook
It's not often that I read non-fiction books, especially adventure books!! However, I am so, so glad that I read this novel. It's an inspiring and heartwarming read about a young Aussie teenage girl who, despite struggles and criticism, set out to follow her dream: to solo sail unassisted around the world.

The novel uses parts of Jessica's blog to document her voyage around the world while giving some extra insight that was not shared in her online blog at the time of her journey.

Heaps of beautif
Pavel
Oct 06, 2014 Pavel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Chloe
Feb 19, 2016 Chloe rated it really liked it
Shelves: aussie-author
I can vaguely remember the hype surrounding Jessica Watson's non-stop solo sail around the world. I remember there was controversy of some sort, but didn't know any details. So, I really enjoyed reading this account of Jessica's voyage ... right from the planning stages (2 years in fact!) to the actual sailing trip itself (7 months). The trip part is told mostly through her blog posts with some extra insights as well. It was a great way to provide the day-to-day details and experiences.

I was imp
Alex
Oct 29, 2014 Alex rated it really liked it
I love Aussie books. I love biographies. I love books with a feminist edge.
You can imagine my delight when I realised that in reading this book, I was getting a combination of the three.
Jessica Watson tells her absolutely fascinating tale with passion and eloquence. The enthusiasm and frankness of this seventeen year old girl is present on every page.
Alice Chiu
Apr 07, 2016 Alice Chiu rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Jessica Watson is a great person with an amazing sense of humour. She is definitely a TRUE SPIRIT. She has a very positive mindset that helped her cope with all her setbakcs. Following her on her adventure has really been a journey. I really want to go on my own adventure. The incorporation of her blogs and extra insights as well as the vlogs gives a wide variety of mediums.
Valerie
May 29, 2011 Valerie rated it really liked it
This was another Borders bargain find for $3.99 that may have changed my life. I might be exaggerating, but I can't help but notice that two of the books that I have read off of the clearance rack have some similarities. This (as well as the "Two Chickens for a Saddle" book) are about young girl(s) with unmeasurable amounts of guts, courage, and self confidence. Both books are written by girls with parents that use the unschooling method and travel while letting their children learn through ever ...more
Kate
Mar 31, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
О чём мечтают современные подростки? Кто-то - о планшете, кто-то - о собаке. Джессика мечтала... обогнуть Земной шар на яхте!
Согласитесь, для ХХI века мечта очень необычная. Казалось бы, романтика мореплаваний сейчас вдохновляет не многих (уж точно не девочек!), однако, такая идея родилась в голове 12-летней австралийки.
Она шла к своей мечте 4 года. Четыре года упорного труда, стремления, страстного желания осуществить свою мечту. Несмотря на большие потоки критики, она добилась своего и доказал
Kelley
Feb 02, 2016 Kelley rated it it was ok
This took me a long time to get through. It's nothing personal, I just did not enjoy Watson's writing style. What she did was an amazing feat, especially for a 16-year-old, and I don't think she was typical "sailor crazy" -- a nice surprise.
Michelle
May 02, 2016 Michelle rated it it was ok
I see how the novel would have been a fun experience for Jessica to put together, but it was a very slow read. I think that I would have loved reading her blog update while she was at sea. It just didn't keep my interest as a book.
Amelia
May 27, 2016 Amelia rated it it was ok
I am not a big biography or auto biography book fan, but this was quite good. I really enjoyed the idea of sailing around the world and the key themes such as following your dreams. Although, I found this book quite boring. I just wanted to get it over with pretty fast which made it unenjoyable. Also I found it quite repetitive but what can you expect when its open ocean day after day.
Hana Jun
Inspiring

This is an inspiring book about living one's dreams. With enough hard work and determination, you can do it.

Anyone who can read would enjoy this book, a tale of enduring human spirit.
Brian
Oct 28, 2010 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted something better from Ms. Watson, whom I deeply admire for both her courage and love of sailing. I wanted real intelligence, insight, and evolution sparked by an incredible journey. Her experience, as she tells it, was marked not by revelation, but by endurance..."not much to tell" even when her psychological state deteriorates to the point where she cannot tell diesel fuel from water while cooking dinner. I wanted philosophy and science, she provides fluff. She is, after all, a 16 year ...more
Rhode
Jan 13, 2015 Rhode rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do not sail or care much boats. In fact, going around the world on the ocean sounds horrible to me. That said, damn great book, which I will almost certainly read more than once. She overcomes adversity, copes with loneliness, scary storms, and smiles joyfully. Great kid. Great book.
Get Ahead Kids
Feb 20, 2013 Get Ahead Kids rated it really liked it
'True Spirit' is the autobiography of Jessica Watson, who at just 16 years was the youngest personal to sail solo and unassisted around the world.
The book details her upbringing of spending time between a houseboat and motor home and how she first got involved and developed a love of sailing.

Readers will be fascinated by her meticulous preparation, Jessica's battle with sleep deprivation, gale-force winds, dangerous seas and natural hazards as well as the struggle of being away from home at such
Daniel
Mar 06, 2011 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book while I had the power off after the tragic earthquake in Christchurch. I enjoyed the book, even though it lacked in some emotional detail.

It was an incredible feat to circumnavigate the globe by herself at her age. Like the other famous Australian who completed the journey ten years earlier, Jesse Martin, she experienced many knockdowns and her fair-share of bad weather (particularly under Australia).

I remember watching her speaking at the end of her race on the tv news when sh
Ann
Jan 22, 2016 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guts, know-how and a lot of luck are what makes up this feisty 16 year old girl as she sails non-stop around the world in her 34 foot sail boat.
Nikki Balzer
Jun 18, 2014 Nikki Balzer rated it really liked it
really enjoyed this account of a great young Australian completing her dream and her journey. well done to her family and all her supporters for helping Jessica make it happen.
Сергей Кущенко
11-летняя девочка из Австралии захотела проплыть вокруг света в одиночку на маленькой яхте. Подготовилась и сделала это к 16 годам.
  • Maiden Voyage
  • Desperate Voyage
  • A World of My Own: The first ever non-stop solo round the world voyage
  • Hen Frigates
  • From Strength To Strength: An Autobiography
  • Unsinkable: A Young Woman's Courageous Battle on the High Seas
  • The Incredible Voyage
  • Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems
  • The Last Grain Race