Start by marking “Rave On: The Biography of Buddy Holly” as Want to Read:
Rave On: The Biography of Buddy Holly

Rave On: The Biography of Buddy Holly

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Drawing on interviews with almost everyone who ever associated with Holly, including his widow, a biography creates a vivid picture of a young man who took the American music scene by storm and then died suddenly in a tragic plane crash. 25,000 first printing.
Published September 18th 1996 by Simon & Schuster (first published September 13th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Rave On, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rave On

Duane
I admit I have a big bias when it comes to anything that concerns Buddy Holly being the fan I am. Having seen the stage play and movie, I thought I knew a lot about Buddy Holly, but this book completely destroyed those and threw me into the real world of Buddy. You get to see the good,bad,happy, and sad life that was Buddy's short visit to us. This author did a excellent job of researching everybodies point of view who got to know Buddy. I am going to make it a point of mine to get my own copy o ...more
Tosh
Gene Vincent, Eddie Cochran, and Buddy Holly - just tragic and all three of them were brilliant. I also love the thought of him in New York going to all the jazz clubs before he passed away. If he lived he would have made MORE great music. The guy just had that 'genius' element in his DNA.

A very well researched biography on the man. And again, it's heartbraking. Like the Gene Vincent bio, I just wanted to cry in the end.
Richard
After my mom died I got really into Buddy Holly. Or, rather, Buddy Holly just sort of showed up in my life all of a sudden. I don't know. I can't realy explain it without sounding like a complete nut, so I'll skip the details. Lets just say I freaked out and began to listen to the bespectacled rocker's music religiously, eagerly seeking out B-sides and rarities; anything, basically that he had touched. That hiccuppy croon of his was like a cool cool balm to my weary soul. Those three-chord tremo ...more
David Baltzer
I am giving this book a low rating for one very good reason: the author unfairly blames the pilot, Roger Peterson, for the crash that claimed his life as well as the lives of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. 'The Big Bopper' Richardson.

There is ample evidence documented from accumulated owner reports for the same year, make, and model of airplane that it had a lot of design defects that caused problems and forced the company to replace parts for owners and make design changes. After the cra
Felicia
I've been a Buddy Holly fan for years and I couldn't consider myself someone who knew about his brief life and music career so I decided it was time to read a biography. I chose this one because of the higher rating and because of the author writing many other biographies of famous musicians.

I did learn things about Holly that I hadn't known, how his material came to be, his rock 'n roll friendships, his management endeavors, and the financial struggle he faced towards the end of his life. Even
Albert
A labor of love, but still, there seems to be many holes in the story he tells. Also, the author inserts himself into the narrative far too much for my tastes. His Beatles book is far better. I was happy to learn any information about Buddy as I only knew what that dumb Gary Busey movie told me as well as other dramatized versions of Buddy's life I have seen over the years. If you're in need of Buddy Holly introductory information, this is a decent book to read. Although, after reading this acco ...more
Peter Burton
Very interesting book especially on the role of Norman Petty and the details of the plane crash.A great rock star whose work has stood the test of time.A sad and moving account from a true fan.
Michael Todd
Of course, I enjoyed hearing details I never knew about Buddy Holly's life. However, I was especially intrigued to hear about 1950s pop culture, press, radio, music charts, the music industry and the audience. This book is like a time capsule of American and British life in that era. We're fortunate so many who had first hand knowledge were still alive to speak to the author.
Joe Eidson
You wouldn't think a life so short would have such a long biography, but this book is very well-researched and goes into some fine detail on Buddy Holly. My only complaint is that the prose sometimes lapses into some overly-saccharine description of Holly's genius - sometimes a chord is just a chord, y'know?
Zac
Basically, everything in the Gary Busey joint, The Buddy Holly Story, was more or less made up. Which is weird, because the stuff in here would actually be better as a movie than what they conjured up for the script anyway.
Gunnar Hjalmarsson
Ýtarleg, skemmtileg og góð. Allt sem maður þarf að vita um Buddy og hans örstutta feril. Fullt hús!
Mick
my buddy holly obsession never really goes away. a 2nd-time read, and fascinating account of one of the giants of rock-n-roll.
Stew
The definitive biography of Buddy Holly. Engaging writing for an engaging artist.
Ken French
A great life story, but spoiled by mediocre writing.
Leilani
Favorite biography ever. Swear.
Zands
Zands is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2015
Dasha
Dasha marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Robert Anderson
Robert Anderson marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2015
Bronwyn De Pol
Bronwyn De Pol marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Victoria Nicholson
Victoria Nicholson marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Dillon
Dillon marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
Sandi
Sandi is currently reading it
May 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Chitlin' Circuit: And the Road to Rock 'n' Roll
  • Ramblin' Man: The Life and Times of Woody Guthrie
  • Unsung Heroes Of Rock 'n' Roll: The Birth Of Rock In The Wild Years Before Elvis
  • Born to Run: The Bruce Springsteen Story
  • 40 Watts from Nowhere : A Journey into Pirate Radio
  • Good Rockin' Tonight: Sun Records and the Birth of Rock 'N' Roll
  • The Jazz Ear: Conversations Over Music
  • Big Star: The Short Life, Painful Death, and Unexpected Resurrection of the Kings of Power Pop
  • Bootleg: The Secret History of the Other Recording Industry
  • With Billie: A New Look at the Unforgettable Lady Day
  • Feel Like Going Home: Portraits in Blues and Rock 'n' Roll
  • Always Magic in the Air: The Bomp and Brilliance of the Brill Building Era
  • The Rolling Stone Illustrated History of Rock and Roll: The Definitive History of the Most Important Artists and Their Music
  • Here Comes the Sun: The Spiritual and Musical Journey of George Harrison
  • Transformer: The Lou Reed Story
  • The Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings
  • Black Postcards: A Rock & Roll Romance
  • Stranded: Rock and Roll for a Desert Island
John Lennon: The Life Shout! The Beatles in Their Generation Mick Jagger The Stones Sir Elton: The Definitive Biography