Start by marking “The Five Jars (Dodo Press)” as Want to Read:
The Five Jars (Dodo Press)

The Five Jars (Dodo Press)

Montague Rhodes James (1862-1936), who published under the byline M. R. James, was a noted medieval scholar and provost of King's College, Cambridge (1905-1918) and of Eton College (1918-1936), best remembered today for his ghost stories in the classic Victorian Yuletide vein. He is most widely known for his ghost stories, but as a medieval scholar his output was phenomena ...more
Published April 4th 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1922)

To ask other readers questions about The Five Jars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Five Jars

Oscar
El erudito Montague Rhodes James (1862-1936), pese a ser un arqueólogo y académico de prestigio, preboste en Eaton y vinculado a la universidad de Cambridge, siempre será recordado por sus cuentos de fantasmas, en los que marcó un antes y un después. Inédita hasta ahora en español, nos llega ‘Los cinco frascos’, pequeña novela infantil de fantasía concebida para su pupila de doce años Jane McBryde.

‘Los cinco frascos’ (The Five Jars, 1922) comienza con un paseo, en el que el protagonista, el prop
Yelania Nightwalker

Un hombre decide seguir el ruido que causan las aguas del río y entonces descubre una caja que contiene cinco frascos. Cada frasco tiene magiaque le otorgará poderes gracias a los cuales descubrirá maravillas inimaginables. Sin embargo no todo es miel sobre hojuelas y tendrá que vérselas con criaturas que desean conseguir esos poderes.

En lo personal, este tipo de libros no van conmigo pero me sentía un poco decidida a cambiar de rumbos y dejar la pastelosidad de las novelas de romance (cómo s

Jen
Mar 01, 2011 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, own
I'm not sure what I think of this book so far. I'll keep reading and let you know.

I'm really not sure what my thoughts were about this book. It was really an odd book. I'm going to have to think about this one and get back to my review.

After giving this much thought I liked the book, it was odd and didn't really make much sense, but it was an enjoyable read none the less. I can't really explain this book anymore then a man finds a locked box containing 5 jars. He opens one jar a night and puts t
Ricardo
Mar 16, 2015 Ricardo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 / 5

Una historia llena de magia con una hermosa narrativa.
Alex Sarll
I knew M R James' ghost stories were not his only writing, but had thought the rest was mostly academic. Not so; this is a charming children's fantasy. It's easy to put the moral universe of his ghost stories (summed up so well by the title 'A Warning to the Curious') together with his Cambridge voting record and conclude that he was an ultra-reactionary, opposed to meddling in all its forms. But this begins exactly as the ghost stories do - a walker finds a cache of ancient treasure, then start ...more
Mike
Nov 20, 2014 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, childrens
M.R. James is most famous for his ghost stories, some of which are pretty brutal, but this short novel is a relatively quaint fairy story for young readers (the vocabulary is probably a little high to call this a children's book, by modern standards, but in 1920 when he wrote it this was normal).
It starts out very slowly, and James' very detailed descriptions of things make the story seem longer than it is, but the slowly building tension is effective even though the peril is unclear.
Anyway the
Lola
Jan 27, 2013 Lola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very wild read.
Ian
Jul 27, 2010 Ian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rather peculiar book, ostensibly for children, by M.R. James, one of the great horror writers of the early 20th century. His short stories, such as "Oh Whistle and I'll Come to You, My Lad" and "Casting the Runes" (the latter was later made into the excellent horror film, NIGHT OF THE DEMON, by Jacques Tourneur), have influenced everyone from H.P. Lovecraft to Stephen King, and he's generally credited with freeing the traditional ghost story from its musty Gothic trappings and bringing it into ...more
Rose
Dec 07, 2015 Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I gave this a five because it was such an interesting book (although that would mean that James' ghost stories should get about an 8). I read the 1922 edition with charming art nouveau illustrations. This is surprisingly whimsical and charming and I wish I had read it as a child. Thanks to Michael Dirda in his book "Readings" for mentioning this only novel by James.
Holly
Apr 09, 2016 Holly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Starts out a bit like a regular M. R. James story, but turns into a children's story rather than a ghost one, about a hidden world and little people who live there. I prefer the ghost stories, I'm afraid. :)
Francisco Alfaro Labbé
It was a very nice book, a fantasy written in the first decades of the XX century, but with a certain feeling of XIX century romantic story. The end was weird, though, with a climax far behind the end. Anyway, it remind me of GHIBLI kind of movie, so I really enjoyed it.
Babe Rainbow
Nov 16, 2014 Babe Rainbow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fucking insane, but weirdly comforting?
Jhannas
Cute little story about magical things.
Deb
Jan 04, 2012 Deb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Odd, intriguing, short, different--all enticements to read an M R James fantasy. Such novel revelations: Old horseshoes, when touched by the evil creatures, force these beings to "go over all the ground that the shoe went over since it was last in the blacksmith's hands"; and to stop seeing horrible visions from the past (seeing visions from the past was one jar's gift), shut your eyes from below--"that meant pushing up the lower eyelids--". Sprinkled throughout are these same type tidbits.
Jesús Cardeña Morales
Creo que no he logrado entender del todo la historia. No me gustan las historias infantiles de principios de siglo porque me da la sensación de que no son para niños, o al menos son demasiado enrevesadas como para que sean para niños. Me recuerdan a algunos cuentos de los hermanos Grimm, que estaban más destinados a adultos que a niños.
Me hubiera gustado que se hubieran utilizado más los frascos, porque aún sigo sin saber muy bien para que servía cada uno de ellos.
Chris
While lacking the spookiness of his other work, The Five Jars is a good M.R. James story. It concerns a man who finds a magic plant, then a magic box, and then magic jars that allow him to see the other world of fairies, gnomes, and such. The jars are desired by those who should not have them. Part of the story lies in James' use of animal discussion and part in the fact that he doesn't feel the need to explain everything.
Val Robson
Sep 19, 2015 Val Robson rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
Not what I expected. It was a child's fairy tale so I was disappointed and didn't get to the end.
Particle_Person
A very peculiar fantasy story that reminded me a lot of Edward Eager's children's books. The whimsical-yet-creepy atmosphere is similar to books like Eager's "Seven Day Magic." This is not as good, though, because the story doesn't have a strong enough plot to use all the magic to good effect. It ends very abruptly and I was left thinking, "Huh, that's it?" It was engrossing, however, and I was never bored.
Mary
Aug 21, 2013 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-the-youths
This book is really cute. Not much happens, but it doesn't happen much in a charming way. Not ghosty at all, which is not what you'd expect from M. R., but kind of adorable elfin and animal chatting. Of course, his best bits are writing elfy "schoolboys," who he understands perfectly. A nice youths' book.
Timothy Ferguson
A light children's story from a master of horror fiction. Not his finest work, but readable.
grey1066
May 03, 2012 grey1066 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. Not his best work, but a nice deviation somewhat from "straight" horror. I also kind of like how it ended vaguely, without really explaining what the evil thing was.
Sem
Aug 23, 2011 Sem rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth-fiction
He didn't quite pull it off but there were some fine moments. A collection of intriguing ideas and amusing dialogue held together by a thinnish plot.
Alexis Steven
Dec 31, 2014 Alexis Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reto-hombres-p
Una historia infantil con gran creatividad e imaginación.
Con una narración perfecta y personajes interesantes.
Jan
Jan 31, 2011 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Odd little fairy story written in 1922. I read it because it was free on Kindle and it sounded intriguing. Fast read.
Jan 20, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Weird little fantasy novel by one of the English language's best ghost story writers. Very good!
Steven
Jul 04, 2012 Steven rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
A silly book; a meandering fantasy. I did not enjoy it. Also, I would not want a child to read this.
Mike F
Oct 22, 2013 Mike F rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, enjoyable read.

Not typical M.R. James, but very clever and well done.
Camila
Camila marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Paul Creasy
Paul Creasy marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Present at a Hanging and Other Ghost Stories
  • In The Court of the Yellow King
  • Shadow Touch (Shadow Touch, #1)
  • Curse (Wicked, #2)
  • The Complete Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
  • The Adventure of the Three Gables
  • Ruth (Bible #8), ESV
  • Suspira de Profundis, Being a Sequel to the Confessions of an English Opium-eater (Works, Vol 16)
  • Selected Short Stories (Modern Classics)
  • Stealing Kevin's Heart
  • The Book of the Sword: With 293 Illustrations
  • Midnight Harvest (Saint-Germain, #16)
  • Pickle-Chiffon Pie
  • The Devil's Heart (The Devil, #2)
Montague Rhodes James, who used the publication name M.R. James, was a noted British mediaeval scholar & provost of King's College, Cambridge (1905–18) & of Eton College (1918–36). He's best remembered for his ghost stories which are widely regarded as among the finest in English literature. One of James' most important achievements was to redefine the ghost story for the new century by di ...more
More about M.R. James...