Start by marking “Fortress on the Sun” as Want to Read:
Fortress on the Sun
Preview

Fortress on the Sun

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Stationed dangerously close to the sun and protected by powerful shields, the 21st century prison mining camp of Ra is home to humanity's worst criminals. With their memories erased as part of the punishment, only the wardens' claims serves as a reminder of their crimes. But when a bizarre and deadly illness threatens the inmates, they learn the all-too terrifying truth be ...more
Published July 1st 1997 by Roc

To ask other readers questions about Fortress on the Sun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fortress on the Sun

Jim
I'm not sure how to rate this book, so I'm giving it 3 stars. The book was so uneven. Parts were brilliant & quite creative. Other parts weren't so hot. (There's a pun.) I was tempted to give it 4 stars up until close to the end.

I liked most of the characterization. There was a real mix of characterization types. Most were boldly drawn, too boldly in some cases. Think Doc Savage. Others were quite well done, though.

The plot was very interesting, especially for the first 2/3 of the novel. I
Marc Goldstein
Aboard Sunstation Ra, a giant space station anchored to the sun and protected by powerful energy shields, a group of more than 100 prisoners harvest solar plasma for their captors. Despite having their minds wiped to erase any memory of their crimes -- regressing some back to childhood -- the sunstation prisoners have managed to carve out a peaceful existence during their three years of captivity. That is until a strange sleeping sickness spreads through Ra. The arrival of a new batch of prisone ...more
Evelyn
Again this book hasn't let me down. I can't get enough of it and I don't know way. It's action pack from the beginning and just keeps the pace until the very end. It also has you thinking the whole time on what's going on.
Gerry
This was a really great free eBook find thanks to http://www.freeebooksblog.com/. The story revolves around a group of prisoners that are considered so dangerous they are held in a space station in the sun. None of them have complete memories, some of them have had their mental capacity reset to that of a child, and there is a set of mysterious rules they have to follow or they will all be killed.

That's the setup, and I don't want to give anymore away than that. This book was a really quick read
Mike Franklin
This is a book that could have been so much better. Sadly this is much the same as the only other book I've read by Paul Cook - The Engines of Dawn.

The excellent ideas, setting and plot of this book are rather let down by poor writing, which is such a shame. As I say, the ideas are brilliant and had me completely gripped, the plot twists were good and credible whilst still being unpredictable and the characters again credible and likable (where that was the intent). But clumsy prose and dialogue
Jeff Miller
This book was an example of why I love SF. Imaginative situation of a group of prisoners on a harvesting ship built in the sun with massive shields to protect them. The prisoners have had their memories of their crimes erased and in some case their memories were regressed to a younger age.

Things are starting to go wrong on the station and there is a great mystery involved in the situation.

Well written and it kept my attention throughout.
Shalin
This book was good in parts, it was little interesting here and there, very sluggish at some and the ending was a 'meh'.
Jeff Wetherington
An interesting story idea burdened by excruciatingly awful sub-plots, characters and dialogue.
Gobasso
An ok book. Has some interesting twists to it. Good for an easy summer or vacation read.
Deborah
An OK book. I liked the first part, then it got kind of sluggish.
Laura Sanders
Laura Sanders is currently reading it
Apr 20, 2015
Aaron Nguyen
Aaron Nguyen is currently reading it
Nov 17, 2014
Brian
Brian added it
Jul 27, 2014
Hope Dee
Hope Dee marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Brooke
Brooke added it
Jun 03, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014