Start by marking “The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists” as Want to Read:
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists

The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists (The Pirates! #3)

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  1,063 ratings  ·  125 reviews
London, 1840: Wagner's latest opera plays to packed houses while disgruntled workers gather in crowded pubs to eat ice cream and plan the downfall of the bourgeoisie. Meanwhile, the Pirate Captain finds himself incarcerated at Scotland Yard, in a case of mistaken identity.

Discovering that his doppelgänger is none other than Karl Marx, the Captain and his crew are unwitting
Published January 20th 2010 by Vintage (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists

Tfitoby
Avast, ye scurvy cur! The Pirates have returned in a further adventure to locate their missing prized ham in the silky folds of Karl Marx's bushy beard!

The Pirate Captain will astound you with his vast array of philosophical conundrums and entertain you with a book filled with both Wit! and Wisdom! You too can learn the true facts behind maintaining discipline whilst running a pirate boat, the existence of God and the Question of gravy stains!

This third adventure is filled with even more belly l
Rachel
I took turns reading this aloud with my SO as we were taking a towtruck from cincinnati to columbus OH. Very entertaining and it kept us from being bored and was the best drive that driver's ever had (he said so).
Carmilla Voiez
Read it for fun and it was definitely that. A quick read that reminded me of Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett with pirates and Karl Marx.
Yvann S
“The Crustacean Carnival of Fear”

The Pirate Captain, fresh from an adventure battling Black Bellamy, takes his crew ashore in London, where he is mistaken for Karl Marx, on account of his enormous flowing beard, and arrested. Friedrich Engels comes to his rescue on the condition that the Pirate Captain takes up his business proposition…

I can’t decide whether this is a children’s book or not. On the one hand, the tone seems very much intended for children, and there are basic explanations of hist
Jim
Aug 19, 2008 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pirates and philosophers
Shelves: humorous, fiction
Another funny little novel by Gideon Defoe. It's schoolboy humor for educated people.

In this book, the pirate crew team up with Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels. Initially, the Pirate Captain is upset that anyone could favorably compare Marx's general hairiness to his own luxurious beard and generous eybrows. However, relations are smoothed over after Karl Marx proclaims the Pirate Captain his intellectual superior. The Captain has an edge, in that his philosophical treatise includes a "what's ho
Melissa
I've always known that I love this series so much because it appeals to my unique sense of humor, but I really noticed it at this moment in this book:

"'That's it, lads," said the Pirate Captain encouragingly, as a few of the less important crew got squashed under one of Nietzsche's enormous tin feet. 'He can crush your bones, but he can't crush your indomitable spirit. Obviously, I'd love to help, but these futile sacrifices look like quite a lot of effort. And we can't risk me getting all sweat
Ciara
Nov 21, 2008 Ciara rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes funny, people who like to make fun of communists, fans of ham
another great book about the pirate captain, his beard, & his crew. in this one, the pirates go for a day trip in london so the pirate captain can buy a new jacket befitting a pirate captain. in the process, he is mistaken for karl marx, due to his luxurious beard. marx's companion engels invites the pirate captain & his crew to ameeting house to see marx deliver a fiery speech about communism, & to ask a favor: the communists are being impugned throughout london & they need safe ...more
Charlotte Jones
This is the third installment in the Pirates! series and although I really enjoyed the first and second, I can't really say the same for this one. The plot takes place in the year 1840 and follows the usual group of pirates on their adventures. In this one they meet Karl Marx and are on a mission to discover why everyone is against the Communist movement.
The main problem with this novel, I find, is the plot and the pacing. Not a lot happens until about half way through and the beginning drags
Hollowspine
A short adventure story featuring the Pirate Captain and his lively crew, including Jennifer a Victorian lady who has decided to take up a life of pirating.

In this installment the Pirate Captain disguised as a French schoolmaster goes to buy a new coat, but after being beaten about the face by an old woman finds himself mistakenly arrested.

It seems his beard is strikingly similar to Karl Marx's and Marx was wanted by the law, for among many other atrocities, breaching the peace, stirring up unr
Dot Gumbi
Sabrina Spiher
Aug 17, 2007 Sabrina Spiher rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
"I finished reading Gideon Defoe's The Pirates! in an Adventure with Communists and while I don't have much to say, I wanted to mention the book briefly here, since I had previously mentioned how excited I was to pick it up ... pirates and communists! Some of my favorite things!

In this adventure, the Pirate Captain is mistaken in London for Karl Marx, on account of his luxuriant beard, and finds himself first arrested, and then helping Marx to stop the attempts to ruin communism's reputation by
Ez
There are two types of people in the world: people who will laugh their faces off at "The Pirates!", and fools.

Are you a fool? I mean far be it for me to say - not without the appropriate questionnaire, but if not - if you like beards, and bears and pirates and international conspiracies and unwashed proletariat masses, and ham (who could forget the ham?) - then read this book.

Best slap some sellotape on your face first though.
da-wildchildz
I have to admit that for no particular reason, my expectations for this book were not great so I was pleasantly surprised, when it turned out to be a fun read. It was brimming with moments, which made me giggle. A few surreal lines:

‘Just buy a packet of crisps so we get a Harrods bag.’

Or talking of ice cream,

‘I lost my little spoon out of the lid. Can I have another one?’
Storyheart
Aaaargh! The adventure continues as The Pirate Captain rescues Karl Marx, commissions music from Wagner and engages in a battle of wits with that awkward young fascist, Friedrich Nietzsche. But wait there's more! Read now and you can enjoy the Pirate Captain as he fights off hungry bears, eats a lot of ham and maintains his splendid beard.
Woodge
Feb 25, 2009 Woodge rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lubbers; overly serious people; smart people like yourself -- ha!
Shelves: fantasy
A coupla years ago I read Defoe's first two adventures featuring the Pirates: The Pirates! In An Adventure with Scientists and The Pirates! In An Adventure with Ahab. I'm a big fan of this kind of silly, absurdist humor and Gideon Defoe has a deft hand at it. I kept giggling along with this tale too. (It's undoubtedly the funniest book I've read all year.) The pirates don't even get names either. There's the Pirate Captain (who is always dreaming of a fine glazed ham); his second in command, the ...more
Kendall
Hilarious. Lots of sarcasm. And it is exactly what you would expect. Pirates hanging around with Karl Marx. Not only is there a semi-pointless adventure that ends with trying to impress girls, but there are random tidbits of "facts" and "philosophy" thrown in for good measure, such as:
"In my experience, the best way to find out if you really know something is to ask your second-in-command. Second-in-commands remember all kinds of things that you'll have forgotten. If you don't have a second-in-
Jacquelyn
You are about to embark on an adventure in absurdity, and if you're not ready to embrace a little bit of nonsense and Monty-Python-esque wit, you're not going to enjoy this book. However! If, say, you've just completed your goal for NaNoWriMo and are looking for a short jaunt with pirates, philosophers, and steampunk robots to use as a mind-balm, you've come to the right book.

I must admit that I was confused for the first fifty pages, but once I let go of any expectations, I began to really enjo
Brian
Nov 11, 2011 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: silly pirate fans
Shelves: adventure, humor, pirates
The Pirate Captain and his crew return in yet another silly adventure. While in London, they meet up with Karl Marx. Marx asks the Pirate Captain for help in taking him to Paris to escape after he is accused of mischief. While in Paris, the pirates enjoy the sights and end up discovering who is behind all of the trouble being blamed on the Communists.

There's a lot of puns and just plain silliness in this book. I especially enjoyed the Pirate Captain and Karl Marx's philosophical wager.

A quick re
Donna
Another short, fun Pirates! book with some laugh out loud moments. The Pirate Captain and his crew have a philosophical adventure with Karl Marx and his communists, who are being blamed for problems all over Europe.

These are fast reads, but shouldn't be read one after the other because a little bit of the Pirate Captain, much like a little bit of communism, goes a long way.

Don't forget to check out the endpapers, from which you'll learn that the forces of oppression include imperialist lackeys,
Alexandra
Look at the title. Why would this not be awesome?
Helen
Might have to try the Pirate Captain's recipe for brownies... Love these books - oh so very silly !
Andrew Knighton
Playful, inventive and light hearted, I loved it.
Katie Gierok
Not really my kind of humor :l
Kaethe
I think the Pirates! are hilarious. Pairing up the Pirates! with Karl Marx is genius.
Kristy
A fairly whimsical and goofy book. It's got its humorous parts - a few times I even laughed a bit out loud - and there's a few good quotes in it, but overall it's a light read. It's fun, it's quick, it doesn't require a great deal of deep thinking despite including Karl Marx ;)

It's the first book I've read by Gideon Defoe, and I am going to try and locate the other The Pirates! books because of it. I think it's a good sunny-day/beach read almost - certainly beats reading a chick-lit or same-old
John Defrog
The third book of the Pirates! series, in which the Pirate Captain goes to London to buy a new coat and ends up transporting Karl Marx to Paris. Much satire at the expense of both Communism and Anti-Communist hysteria ensues, as well as Nietzsche and opera. Like the other two books, it’s intentionally nonsensical, but a whole lot of fun, provided you find nonsense to be fun, and you don’t take political philosophy all that seriously. Which, incidentally, you shouldn’t.
Mark
It's hard to criticize an obviously preposterous, throwaway story for being obviously preposterous and disposable, but this adventure relies mainly on puns and not very funny historical non-sequiturs, without much depth or absurdity to the jokes. It's a snarky concept that doesn't dig beyond its conceit for good jokes and so becomes a one-note samba. Like the worst of Tom Robbins. I did enjoy Defoe's Pirates adventure with Ahab a great deal more.
Sarah Camp
Feb 21, 2008 Sarah Camp rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with a sense of humor
The Pirate Captain is back, and this time, people are mistaking him for Karl Marx, mainly because they have something in common: Their beautiful and luscious beards.

The Pirate books are always a treat. Start with Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists, as there are sometimes references in the books to the others (there are also references to non-existing books as well, though, so it won't hurt you if you don't start with the others).
Kohdy
This one was my least favorite in the Pirates series but it still had a lot of funny moments. I only didn't like it as much as the others because the communist characters weren't as interesting as I'd hoped they would be. Pirate Captain still delivers however!
  • Uncle
  • Capote in Kansas
  • Renfield: Slave of Dracula
  • Pirates of Pensacola
  • The Professor's Daughter
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Fear in the Sunlight (Josephine Tey, #4)
  • Tales from the Clerks: The Complete Collection of Comic Stories!
  • All Star Western, Vol. 2: The War of Lords and Owls
  • Courtney Crumrin's Monstrous Holiday (Courtney Crumrin, #4)
  • Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow
  • The World According to Mimi Smartypants
Gideon Defoe never meant to become an author. When Defoe bumped into a woman he had pursued during his time studying archaeology and anthropology at Oxford, they began chatting about what they were up to. Realising that his job temping for Westminster council was not going to win him any romantic points, he told her that he was writing a novel. She asked to see it, at which point he found that he ...more
More about Gideon Defoe...
The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists & The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab The Pirates! In An Adventure With Napoleon The Pirates! in an Adventure with the Romantics

“Here's your first problem," he said, pointing at a sentence. "'Religion is the opium of the people.' Well, I don't know about people, but I think you'll find that the opium of pirates is actual opium.” 21 likes
“Don't listen to people telling you that getting up early is best. René Descartes is one of history's most important philosophers, but he rarely got out of bed before noon - and when he started getting up early for a new job as a private tutor, it caused him to catch pneumonia and die.” 17 likes