Start by marking “The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind” as Want to Read:
The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind

The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The world of yoga is astonishingly rich in its array of schools and practices. Yet, as diverse as they seem, they share a common aim: the discovery of the essence of existence that can be found at the core of our being, and the liberation that comes from that discovery. With this worthy goal in mind, Richard Freeman presents an enlightening overview of the many teachings, ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about The Mirror of Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mirror of Yoga

Geoff
I had a tough time trying to write a proper review of this book. On the one hand, this is one of the best books on yoga that I have ever read. At a slim 233 pages, the depth of it's content can not be found anywhere else in so small a space. On the other hand, attempting to distill over forty years of practice and knowledge of yoga into such a small space seems a daunting task. So while the content of the book is excellent, the delivery of that content was not always optimal and could have used ...more
Eric
I really enjoyed this book. Richard Freeman was my yoga teacher for 7 years and I am filled with respect and admiration for him. He is the real thing. His dedication to yoga and his deep of understanding of the what it is, is unparalleled in my experience. And I have practiced yoga for 25 years. Anyway, this tome is a true treat for yoga aficionados who need to dive deep in yoga philosophy. I look forward to re-reading this book in the years to come.
Deb Korch
I rarely give a book 5 stars. This one deserved every one of them. It was accurate and interesting.
Jenny
oh richard freeman, so eloquently and beautifully you write, unraveling your way with intricate grace into the heart of yoga. dare i ask, could you make your sentences and paragraphs shorter so as not to overwhelm at first glance? that said, the mirror of yoga is beautiful as is. perhaps the fine detail and epic sentencing is necessary. i'm grateful to you as one of our western pioneers into this field.
Yascha
Richard is obviously someone who has lived and breathed abstract notions for many years.
As a primarily left-brained person picking this book up, I had to re-read a number of sections in order to understand what Richard was getting at.
That said, the content (once I understood it) really resonated with me.
I would highly recommend this for any yoga practitioner wanting to deepen their practice.
h
May 10, 2012 h rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to h by: Elliott McEldowney
Shelves: 2012, ebook, yoga, yoga-recs
i loved this and read it very slowly. freeman has a nice flow to his writing, conversational and smart. this is an excellent resource on yoga and philosophy that i will be returning to many times as a teacher and student. i found myself consistently making connections with the points he makes and my own daily experiences.
Sherry
Every page a master class!
Michael Merwitz
Can Freeman write a bad book? Can he write anything irrelevant? I don't think that's possible....
Thomas N Dennis
Deeply insightful
Pelin üye
Pelin üye is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2014
Amy St.
Amy St. marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
Lizzlec
Lizzlec marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Tim Holtorf
Tim Holtorf marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Sasha Garcia
Sasha Garcia marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
leeloo
leeloo marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Becka
Becka marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Lexy
Lexy added it
Sep 14, 2014
Jack Ando
Jack Ando marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Jill
Jill is currently reading it
Aug 14, 2014
Emily Villadsen
Emily Villadsen is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2014
Felipe Costa
Felipe Costa marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Alexander W Helm
Alexander W Helm is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Mo Tipton
Mo Tipton marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Insight Yoga
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body
  • Love Your Enemies: How to Break the Anger Habit & Be a Whole Lot Happier
The Yoga Matrix Yoga Breathing Yoga Chants The Ashtanga Yoga Collection Yoga Breathing: Breathing and Relaxation