Start by marking “The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind” as Want to Read:
The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind

The Mirror of Yoga: Awakening the Intelligence of Body and Mind

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The world of yoga is astonishingly rich in its array of schools and practices. Yet, as diverse as they seem, they share a common aim: the discovery of the essence of existence that can be found at the core of our being, and the liberation that comes from that discovery. With this worthy goal in mind, Richard Freeman presents an enlightening overview of the many teachings, ...more
Published September 14th 2010 by Shambhala

Geoff
I had a tough time trying to write a proper review of this book. On the one hand, this is one of the best books on yoga that I have ever read. At a slim 233 pages, the depth of it's content can not be found anywhere else in so small a space. On the other hand, attempting to distill over forty years of practice and knowledge of yoga into such a small space seems a daunting task. So while the content of the book is excellent, the delivery of that content was not always optimal and could have used ...more
Eric
I really enjoyed this book. Richard Freeman was my yoga teacher for 7 years and I am filled with respect and admiration for him. He is the real thing. His dedication to yoga and his deep of understanding of the what it is, is unparalleled in my experience. And I have practiced yoga for 25 years. Anyway, this tome is a true treat for yoga aficionados who need to dive deep in yoga philosophy. I look forward to re-reading this book in the years to come.
Deb Korch
I rarely give a book 5 stars. This one deserved every one of them. It was accurate and interesting.
Jenny
oh richard freeman, so eloquently and beautifully you write, unraveling your way with intricate grace into the heart of yoga. dare i ask, could you make your sentences and paragraphs shorter so as not to overwhelm at first glance? that said, the mirror of yoga is beautiful as is. perhaps the fine detail and epic sentencing is necessary. i'm grateful to you as one of our western pioneers into this field.
Yascha
Richard is obviously someone who has lived and breathed abstract notions for many years.
As a primarily left-brained person picking this book up, I had to re-read a number of sections in order to understand what Richard was getting at.
That said, the content (once I understood it) really resonated with me.
I would highly recommend this for any yoga practitioner wanting to deepen their practice.
h
May 10, 2012 h rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to h by: Elliott McEldowney
Shelves: 2012, ebook, yoga, yoga-recs
i loved this and read it very slowly. freeman has a nice flow to his writing, conversational and smart. this is an excellent resource on yoga and philosophy that i will be returning to many times as a teacher and student. i found myself consistently making connections with the points he makes and my own daily experiences.
Sherry
Every page a master class!
Michael Merwitz
Can Freeman write a bad book? Can he write anything irrelevant? I don't think that's possible....
Thomas N Dennis
Deeply insightful
Georgia
Georgia marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Leslie
Leslie marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Yaroslav Gorbal
Yaroslav Gorbal marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Essemsee
Essemsee marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Samileh Moosavi
Samileh Moosavi marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Anne-jetske Procee
Anne-jetske Procee marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Margaret
Margaret is currently reading it
Nov 09, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2014
Petra De coene
Petra De coene marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Pelin üye
Pelin üye is currently reading it
Oct 30, 2014
Amy St.
Amy St. marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2014
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • Insight Yoga
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • The Woman's Book of Yoga and Health: A Lifelong Guide to Wellness
The Yoga Matrix Yoga Breathing Yoga Chants The Ashtanga Yoga Collection Yoga Breathing: Breathing and Relaxation