3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  175 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease offers precise diet and fasting programs to relieve headache, hypoglycemia, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, colitis, psoriasis, lupus, and uterine fibroids. You'll also learn:
How to use fasting to lose weight
How to start, what to expect, how to reint...more
Published April 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 15th 1995)

The China Study by T. Colin CampbellWhy We Get Fat by Gary TaubesThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanIn Defense of Food by Michael PollanGood Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes
A Nutrition Reading List
33rd out of 174 books — 170 voters
Fasting and Eating for Health by Joel FuhrmanFrom Fasting Saints to Anorexic Girls by Walter VandereyckenEncyclopedia Of Easter, Carnival, And Lent by Tanya GulevichFasting by Scot McKnightThe Rewards of Fasting by Mike Bickle
The Literature of Fasting
1st out of 26 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeanette (Most of My Favorite Authors Are Dead)
This was very interesting to read, and makes some pretty spectacular claims for healing based on water-only fasting. Unfortunately, the benefits tend to come from longer-term, doctor-supervised fasts, which most of us cannot afford. However, there are some benefits to be had from shorter fasts you can do at home.
Lauren
I never thought I could fast until I learned about how healing it is for the body, mind and spirit. This book explains fasting, eating and health very well. If I can fast, anybody can fast. It feels so great and you will not believe how much better food tastes after fasting. It is worth the read and worth fasting. Joel's recipes have changed the health of many of our family and friends from very poor to fantastic in a short amount of time.
Grace Dadoyan
It's not 'feed a cold, starve a fever', it's actually 'starve a cold, starve a fever'. This was a fascinating book about fasting and its role in allowing the body to focus on healing.
Challis
Sep 13, 2009 Challis rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: everyone
This one of the most enlightening and important books I've read. I want to buy one for each of my friends and family members.
Andrea Avalon
I became a believer in the myth that the body can heal from any disease.
Andrew Frueh
Interesting information, but ultimately not really substantial enough to justify a whole book, more like a long pamphlet. The beginning makes a compelling case for water fasting, and the end explains a bit about the mechanics of how to actually do it, but the middle basically repeats the same argument over and over. It also provides a base level explanation of Fuhrman's studies on nutrition, but if you want to learn more about that, stick with his other book Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formul...more
Kendra
I have been fasting this year. That is, I've been fasting every Friday as a sort of experiment, partially prompted by a class that required me to develop and practice a 'spiritual discipline' for the duration of the semester, and partially prompted by my curmudgeonly attitude towards all things ascetic and a desire to figure out why people are willing to injure their bodies for the sake of their souls. I might add that this 'spiritual discipline' element of my graduate nonfiction craft class (...more
Student
First chapter praises fasting and all the health benefits of fasting. The following chapters discuss how certain diseases can be treated (and he claims to have treated) with fasting. Also in these chapters is constant praise for vegetarianism which is a bit outdated (check out paleo). Towards the end of the book he goes into a bit more technical detail in the mechanics of fasting. If i was to read this book again I would read the first and last chapter and skip the middle chapters.

Overall a good...more
Martha Smith
If you are lucky, you will read Dr. Fuhman's book before you have subjected yourself to medications and medical procedures. This book is for those who want to take charge over their health and well-being, and for those who want to embark on a journey toward a more satisfying life. I fasted, under doctor Paul Goldberg's supervision, 6 days and noticed significant health improvements!

I also recommend reading Natural Hygiene: The Pristine Way of Life by Dr. Herbert M. Shelton.
Paul Gier
This book provides a good discussion on eating a healthy diet and some of the health effects of fasting. The author provides numerous studies which support his claims about diet and fasting, and includes his personal story about how fasting helped him recover from an injury. Much of the book focuses on discussing a strict organic vegan diet, and I felt like there was not enough discussion specifically about fasting, especially considering the title of the book.
F. John
It's good to see that the medical community is coming around and recognizing what has always been true: The human body, if left to it's own devices, will respond to a healthful lifestyle. Give Dr. Fuhrman credit for having the guts to speak up. It was also good to see Herbert Shelton's name in a positive light. Time will show he was right.

If you liked this, you'll like fit for life too.
Phredric
A good primer on fasting and the impact on fasting on health and healing. Well researched and explained, it certainly gave me a lot to think about. The middle chapters - about specific conditions - get a bit repetitive but I only read the ones that were relevant to me in detail. I've done a couple of 3-days fasts and have been impressed with the results and am now planning a 2-3 week fast.
Abram
I really enjoyed this read about healthy eating and the use of fasting in healing illness. I believe this would be an appropriate book for anyone interested in health or staying healthy. It references another book that I really liked: The China Study. All healthcare professionals should at least consider the things Dr. Fuhrman proposes.
Aelesaa
Loved it.
I didn't know about therapeutic fasting until I read this book so it opened my eyes to fasting.

It's an easy read, and I found this theory fascinating :)
Heather
Great book - tried it for two weeks with a friend and it's a real eye-opener how well your body can function without food, relying on energy in fat stores.
Susan Fong
Sounds great and wish I could do it, but alas my twin toddlers and preschooler will not let me sit around in bed for two weeks while I don't eat!
Lyn
Live better by not eating? Ackkkkkkkkkkk! Unfortunately I think he has a lot of things right. But I love eating, I do.
Pk Sen
Look like it is working. Refering to Self healing. Am sick. Did not fast but eat lesser and more healthily only.
Jackie
Interesting subject on eliminating diseases and reversing heart disease.
Jasai
This will save your life.
Tamee
life changing
Mari
Mari marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
O.zaki
O.zaki marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Emily Lucas
Emily Lucas marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
  • No More Bull!: The Mad Cowboy Targets America's Worst Enemy: Our Diet
  • Green for Life
  • The New Becoming Vegetarian: The Essential Guide to a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
  • Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings---And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life
  • The Queen of Fats: Why Omega-3s Were Removed from the Western Diet and What We Can Do to Replace Them
  • Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes
  • The Gerson Therapy: The Amazing Nutritional Program for Cancer and Other Illnesses
  • Diet for a New America: How Your Food Choices Affect Your Health, Happiness and the Future of Life on Earth
  • Juice Fasting and Detoxification: Use the Healing Power of Fresh Juice to Feel Young and Look Great
  • Clean Gut: The Breakthrough Plan for Eliminating the Root Cause of Disease and Revolutionizing Your Health
  • The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
  • Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating
  • The Second Brain: A Groundbreaking New Understanding of Nervous Disorders of the Stomach and Intestine
  • Hope's Edge: The Next Diet for a Small Planet
Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formula for Fast and Sustained Weight Loss Super Immunity: The Essential Nutrition Guide for Boosting Your Body's Defenses to Live Longer, Stronger, and Disease Free Disease-Proof Your Child: Feeding Kids Right Eat for Health The End of Diabetes: The Eat to Live Plan to Prevent and Reverse Diabetes