Start by marking “Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating Details  ·  359 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Fasting and Eating for Health: A Medical Doctor's Program for Conquering Disease offers precise diet and fasting programs to relieve headache, hypoglycemia, rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, colitis, psoriasis, lupus, and uterine fibroids. You'll also learn:

- How to use fasting to lose weight
- How to start, what to expect, how to r
Published April 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published April 15th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Fasting and Eating for Health, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fasting and Eating for Health

The China Study by T. Colin CampbellWhy We Get Fat by Gary TaubesThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanIn Defense of Food by Michael PollanFast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser
A Nutrition Reading List
43rd out of 223 books — 258 voters
Fasting and Eating for Health by Joel FuhrmanFrom Fasting Saints to Anorexic Girls by Walter VandereyckenEncyclopedia Of Easter, Carnival, And Lent by Tanya GulevichFasting by Scot McKnightThe Rewards of Fasting by Mike Bickle
The Literature of Fasting
1st out of 32 books — 14 voters

More lists with this book...

Kendra
May 02, 2013 Kendra rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
I have been fasting this year. That is, I've been fasting every Friday as a sort of experiment, partially prompted by a class that required me to develop and practice a 'spiritual discipline' for the duration of the semester, and partially prompted by my curmudgeonly attitude towards all things ascetic and a desire to figure out why people are willing to injure their bodies for the sake of their souls. I might add that this 'spiritual discipline' element of my graduate nonfiction craft class ( ...more
Lauren
Jul 23, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I never thought I could fast until I learned about how healing it is for the body, mind and spirit. This book explains fasting, eating and health very well. If I can fast, anybody can fast. It feels so great and you will not believe how much better food tastes after fasting. It is worth the read and worth fasting. Joel's recipes have changed the health of many of our family and friends from very poor to fantastic in a short amount of time.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This was very interesting to read, and makes some pretty spectacular claims for healing based on water-only fasting. Unfortunately, the benefits tend to come from longer-term, doctor-supervised fasts, which most of us cannot afford. However, there are some benefits to be had from shorter fasts you can do at home.
Ashley (JaffaCaffa)
"You must earn your good health, it cannot be bought."

I will say I feel like this book is inaccurately named. While there is some talk about fasting, I'd say 85% of this book is about changing your diet to a low-fat, plant-based diet. (15% or less fat, 10-15% protein, and 70-75% of calories from complex carbs) The last 32 pages of this book focuses completely on fasting, but throughout the rest of the book it focuses on diet and how harmful medications can be, with just a touch on how fasting ti
Student
Dec 31, 2011 Student rated it really liked it
First chapter praises fasting and all the health benefits of fasting. The following chapters discuss how certain diseases can be treated (and he claims to have treated) with fasting. Also in these chapters is constant praise for vegetarianism which is a bit outdated (check out paleo). Towards the end of the book he goes into a bit more technical detail in the mechanics of fasting. If i was to read this book again I would read the first and last chapter and skip the middle chapters.

Overall a good
Maxim Wegner
Aug 20, 2015 Maxim Wegner rated it really liked it
This book has inspired me to eat healthier and try fasting for myself.

This book describes fairly well how fasting and a better diet can help overcome certain deseases (alomst every single one).

The good:
- people afflicted by ceratin illnesses of our time (high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) can find inspiring studies of how people got well again
- the studies are backed up by data and research (footnotes)

The bad:
- horribly, horribly edited. You need to look hard for new information...
- ... becaus
Grace Dadoyan
Nov 13, 2011 Grace Dadoyan rated it really liked it
It's not 'feed a cold, starve a fever', it's actually 'starve a cold, starve a fever'. This was a fascinating book about fasting and its role in allowing the body to focus on healing.
Susan Fong
May 13, 2013 Susan Fong rated it it was ok
Sounds great and wish I could do it, but alas my twin toddlers and preschooler will not let me sit around in bed for two weeks while I don't eat!
Rachel S
Jan 19, 2016 Rachel S rated it did not like it
This book mostly just annoyed me. The author comes across as one of those people who expect you to automatically believe everything they say, because of their credentials, not because of any facts they may have to back up their claims. He spent very little of the book talking about the actual process of fasting; this book is basically just a rant about how protein is poisoning you to death and we all need to eat nothing but plants. Every time I stumbled across something that seemed useful, he'd ...more
Challis
Sep 13, 2009 Challis rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This one of the most enlightening and important books I've read. I want to buy one for each of my friends and family members.
Andrea Avalon
Sep 20, 2009 Andrea Avalon rated it it was amazing
I became a believer in the myth that the body can heal from any disease.
Andrew Frueh
Dec 21, 2013 Andrew Frueh rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
Interesting information, but ultimately not really substantial enough to justify a whole book, more like a long pamphlet. The beginning makes a compelling case for water fasting, and the end explains a bit about the mechanics of how to actually do it, but the middle basically repeats the same argument over and over. It also provides a base level explanation of Fuhrman's studies on nutrition, but if you want to learn more about that, stick with his other book Eat to Live: The Revolutionary Formul ...more
Jitender S.
Feb 20, 2016 Jitender S. rated it it was amazing
ITS A GEM. Great detail on FASTING and proving it be beyond doubt the amazing self-healing mechanism inherent in each of us. Modern is always lookout for new remedies but they forget that our body is still ancient/stone age. READ THIS BOOK WITH A OPEN MIND......At times unlearning is quite a challenge though!!
Hanako
Nov 06, 2014 Hanako rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
As usual when I read Fuhrman's books, I catch a bit of his enthusiasm. And now I think everyone should go on a fast. :) In all seriousness, it does seem to be a great way to reset your body if you are having any number of chronic conditions. I do believe in the body's power to heal itself and think that we are all slowly killing ourselves with our food and (lack of) exercise.
Kathy Webber
Sep 17, 2015 Kathy Webber rated it really liked it
I really like Dr. Joel Fuhrman! This book has some great information on healthy eating, but unless you have medical issues and are thinking of doing a long water fast then this book wouldn't be for you!
Karen Burrell
Nov 03, 2015 Karen Burrell rated it it was amazing
helpful guidelines for fasting
Martha Smith
Feb 11, 2012 Martha Smith rated it it was amazing
If you are lucky, you will read Dr. Fuhman's book before you have subjected yourself to medications and medical procedures. This book is for those who want to take charge over their health and well-being, and for those who want to embark on a journey toward a more satisfying life. I fasted, under doctor Paul Goldberg's supervision, 6 days and noticed significant health improvements!

I also recommend reading Natural Hygiene: The Pristine Way of Life by Dr. Herbert M. Shelton.
Paul Gier
Jan 06, 2011 Paul Gier rated it really liked it
This book provides a good discussion on eating a healthy diet and some of the health effects of fasting. The author provides numerous studies which support his claims about diet and fasting, and includes his personal story about how fasting helped him recover from an injury. Much of the book focuses on discussing a strict organic vegan diet, and I felt like there was not enough discussion specifically about fasting, especially considering the title of the book.
F. John
May 15, 2011 F. John rated it really liked it
It's good to see that the medical community is coming around and recognizing what has always been true: The human body, if left to it's own devices, will respond to a healthful lifestyle. Give Dr. Fuhrman credit for having the guts to speak up. It was also good to see Herbert Shelton's name in a positive light. Time will show he was right.

If you liked this, you'll like fit for life too.
Phredric
Apr 25, 2013 Phredric rated it liked it
Shelves: food
A good primer on fasting and the impact on fasting on health and healing. Well researched and explained, it certainly gave me a lot to think about. The middle chapters - about specific conditions - get a bit repetitive but I only read the ones that were relevant to me in detail. I've done a couple of 3-days fasts and have been impressed with the results and am now planning a 2-3 week fast.
Abram
Jan 17, 2012 Abram rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this read about healthy eating and the use of fasting in healing illness. I believe this would be an appropriate book for anyone interested in health or staying healthy. It references another book that I really liked: The China Study. All healthcare professionals should at least consider the things Dr. Fuhrman proposes.
Jagbir
Aug 02, 2015 Jagbir rated it really liked it
Interesting and informative book on science of fasting. I've incorporated the learnings in simple and gradual manner under a my family doctor supervision. I think the message in the book could be conveyed in smaller no. of pages. Few places it looks repetitive.
Carla
Aug 23, 2015 Carla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!

I only wish I could have had this information 30 years ago! I'm so grateful for this book. It's evidence based proof of what I've always suspected. Everyone needs to have this information.
Aelesaa
Aug 03, 2011 Aelesaa rated it really liked it
Loved it.
I didn't know about therapeutic fasting until I read this book so it opened my eyes to fasting.

It's an easy read, and I found this theory fascinating :)
Heather
Feb 23, 2012 Heather rated it it was amazing
Great book - tried it for two weeks with a friend and it's a real eye-opener how well your body can function without food, relying on energy in fat stores.
Lyn
Dec 29, 2009 Lyn rated it liked it
Live better by not eating? Ackkkkkkkkkkk! Unfortunately I think he has a lot of things right. But I love eating, I do.
Pk Sen
Jul 19, 2012 Pk Sen rated it liked it
Look like it is working. Refering to Self healing. Am sick. Did not fast but eat lesser and more healthily only.
Jackie
Apr 04, 2008 Jackie rated it liked it
Interesting subject on eliminating diseases and reversing heart disease.
Katherine Owen
Way off base in what works...
Jasai
Jul 18, 2008 Jasai rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
This will save your life.
  • Food for Life: How the New Four Food Groups Can Save Your Life
  • No More Bull!: The Mad Cowboy Targets America's Worst Enemy: Our Diet
  • Living Cuisine: The Art of Spirit of Raw Foods
  • This Crazy Vegan Life: A Prescription for an Endangered Species
  • Prof. Arnold Ehret's Rational Fasting for Physical, Mental and Spiritual Rejuvenation
  • 101 Reasons Why I'm a Vegetarian
  • Green for Life
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • The Thrive Diet
  • The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
  • Beating Cancer with Nutrition: Optimal Nutrition Can Improve the Outcome in Medically-Treated Cancer Patients
  • Becoming Raw: The Essential Guide to Raw Vegan Diets
  • Vegan Bodybuilding & Fitness: The Complete Guide to Building Your Body on a Plant-Based Diet
  • The Raw 50: 10 Amazing Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Drinks for Your Raw Food Lifestyle
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • Becoming Vegetarian: The Complete Guide to Adopting a Healthy Vegetarian Diet
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • Student's Go Vegan Cookbook: Over 135 Quick, Easy, Cheap, and Tasty Vegan Recipes

“The self-healing power of the body is often overlooked because it is rarely given a chance to act in a world that expects the quick fix.” 2 likes
“Therapeutic fasting accelerates the healing process and allows the body to recover from serious disease in a dramatically short period of time. In my practice I have seen fasting eliminate lupus and arthritis, remove chronic skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema, heal the digestive tract in patients with ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease, and quickly eliminate cardiovascular diseases such as high blood pressure and angina. In these cases the recoveries were permanent: fasting enabled longtime disease sufferers to unchain themselves from their multiple toxic drugs and even eliminate the need for surgery, which was recommended to some of them as their only solution.” 0 likes