Start by marking “What She Needs” as Want to Read:
What She Needs

What She Needs

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  352 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
When Jack calls and tells me to meet him at the hotel bar, I know two things: he wants to sleep with me, and I will let him.

That's the rule. If I meet him, I do what he asks, when he asks. I'm free to decline his invitation, but if I accept, I'll do what I'm told.

I always accept.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about What She Needs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What She Needs

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
After some exciting news I did a re-read today and now I'm posting a new review.

“Passion, it lies in all of us, sleeping... waiting... and though unwanted... unbidden... it will stir... open its jaws and howl. It speaks to us... guides us... passion rules us all, and we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments."
- by Joss Whedon -

YUM!!
What She Needs is a very short, yet incredibly hot, as in really hot read! Anne writes smokin' hot sex scenes and she pushes
Jill
Nov 14, 2012 Jill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jill by: BamaGal

When Jack calls me at 6.00pm on a Saturday and tells me to meet him in the bar at the Embassy Suites, I know two things...

So begins this short, erotic contemporary, written in the first person by an un-named woman narrator.

I've only read two Anne Calhoun books before this and while okay I didn't enjoy them that much to want to read another. She writes well enough but always with the sex, sex, sex. Anyways, my friend Bamagal convinced me to read this one, assuring me there was no toys
Kristen
4 stars

I loved this book! The ending was fantastic and very relatable.
Karla
Well written juicy tidbit! Oh how I wish it was longer, but I got to know the characters in this short piece, and it felt complete. A sweet surprise and very satisfying!
Wendy
Nov 14, 2012 Wendy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Wendy by: BamaGal
Shelves: kindle, erotica
Wow, Anne Calhoun sure knows how to deliver a sizzling erotica! This is another winner, and the ending is just the best!

BamaGal you're right, everyone should have a Jack in their lives. *sigh*
Carisa
An excellent, steamy novella. This author surely knows how to spell the reader with her sensual writing. With this one, I’ve read all of her short stories now, and truly wish she will soon publish a full novel.
SCENES/CONTENT: one/erotic
GENRE/TONE: contemporary/drama
LENGTH: 40 pages
Kaylea Cross
Jul 05, 2011 Kaylea Cross rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really love Anne Calhoun's books. I hear she's got another release coming out under a different name in a couple months, and I'll be getting that for sure, since she's now an autobuy for me.

I love the mix of heat and emotion that she puts into her books, and What She Needs was no exception. It had a bit of a twist at the end, which I thought was very cool, and the message it sends is heartwarming. I can't wait for her next book!
DA4Pups
Jan 26, 2016 DA4Pups rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Sofia Lazaridou
Jun 29, 2013 Sofia Lazaridou rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is similar to Same Time Next Year. In the end I kinda got what I wanted so I am pleased with the book
Duchess Nicole
Really great, short 30 minute read. This author has a way with words, for sure, and adds a twist here to make this story meaningful as well as hot.
Kaycee Sapinoso
Wow! The blurb was such a tease! I was really expecting a full length novel. This is my second book by the author but it certainly won't be the last. Ms. Calhoun really knows how to write erotica.

And the twist at the end? Didn't see that coming. But I was so glad that the heroine wasn't just a booty call or something. I was actually feeling sorry for her when she told him "I love you" and he only answered "I'll call you." But I'm glad it wasn't like that. And even though it's short there's stil
Jane Stewart
3 stars. This was pretty good. Read it for the long hot sex scene. The story was a nice balance for the sex.

STORY BRIEF:
This is told in first person by a woman, name unknown. Jack calls her and tells her to meet him at a hotel in one hour. This happens periodically. It’s an evening where she obeys his every command without question or comment. When at the bar, he tells her to unbutton a button. The bartender enjoys the view. Jack then takes her to his room. Most of the story is the hot sex they
Janet
Oct 21, 2011 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#Fridayread I may have to add a few new shelves, 'cause this was hawter than hawt and the cabin was a hotel room. Really enjoyed it ... I have a few caveats, just because. I always think in books it's better never to mention the cost of something like a hotel room (since it differs so much in different parts of the country). The hotel, Embassy Suites, is just not what I associate with getting away. Too mum & pop. Of course, maybe that's not a problem. But nit-picky me, the most anonymous and ...more
Angela James
Aug 21, 2010 Angela James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-faves, 2010, erotic
Sometimes the Spice Brief books are just too short for me, and I haven't loved a lot of them, but I really enjoyed this short from Anne Calhoun. If you're looking for a fully developed story, Spice Briefs are not the place to find them, but this is an incredibly erotic glimpse of life. I recommend it for a brief respite from everyday stressors. And maybe as a way to rev up your engines for your significant other. Better than Calgon. And cheaper.
Steamywindows♥♫
This is a terrific little read. I was captured from the first page! Although this is erotic (hot, hot, hot), there is a lovely storyline. I loved the characters ooo Jack! I also loved that these characters were not twenty, they had jobs, family and responsibility, but took care of their sexual needs. Mmmmm hmmm.
Michele ~ la Smoocherina
Love this book? Come join our group! Liberating Lacey Lovers and Anne Calhoun Fans Far and Wide
Amy
Feb 19, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2read2, favorites
This was a short, hot as hell little read! I was surprised with the storyline being told in first person POV but totally captivated. Ms. Calhoun created serious steam with this couple and had a nice twist at the end.
Holly
Apr 20, 2011 Holly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic, hot little read!! With a sweet, unexpected twist! Anne Calhoun has yet to disappoint, can't wait to read more!!!
Chris
Hot, steamy, oozing desires that can give you hyperventilation just by reading the entire short novel. SINFULLY WICKED!
Yvonne
Aug 26, 2011 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick, sexy and D/s Super-duper barely there light! Still a nice read though.
Gigi
Quick, hot read. Might have to let the spouse read the little gem!
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
When she said those magic words I knew the illusion was just that an illusion. All things in life require routine maintenance. Marriage is no different. Jack knew this also and put his power of perception to good use. The benefit of their future happiness.
Maureen Supan
Dec 25, 2014 Maureen Supan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this prose's ending. I haven't guessed that they're husband and wife. It was totally cool!!! (or I'm just totally unimaginative)
Hannah
I'm finding that Anne Calhoun is definitely one of my preferred authors. For me, her stories are consistently well written with far more depth than you might expect. I seriously had no expectations for this book other than I'd read a few of her other books, but I was drawn into the story the whole time and reading it was totally worthwhile.

It's a vignette about a couple meeting at a hotel - and without giving anything away - it turned out to be so so cute and sweet, I was left with a huge grin
Tine
Feb 15, 2014 Tine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really cute and the reveal at the end was just too cute and sweet. I wish there was more to this story.
Tiffany
Mar 29, 2014 Tiffany rated it liked it
I guessed what the surprise ending is before I even started, but it's a decent read nonetheless.
Teresa
Jan 27, 2012 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW! That was UNDOUBTEDLY more than I had expected! I picked this story up because it has my favorite H/h looks: blond male- dark-haired female. Since I liked "Liberating Lacey" I thought to be on the safe side here- but this book is EVEN HOTTER! Wooohooo, was this H-O-T!!! I loved the vivid descriptions, the time the author takes to really paint her picture here...the ending didn't feel sappy to me, but explains a depth that runs through this story which simply can't be explained without true l ...more
Buffyanna
May 24, 2015 Buffyanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, sexy, relevant and heart-warming!
Catherine Byrley coffman
Great short story!!!
Anne Calhoun Fans...: What She Needs 10 15 May 13, 2012 02:43PM
  • Chance of a Lifetime
  • A Very Sinful Valentine (Addicted, #2.2)
  • The Devil's Match (The Devil DeVere #4)
  • Shaken
  • Deacon's Touch (Dume Ranch Series, #1)
  • Lessons in Indiscretion (The Merry Widows, #1)
  • Dirty Thirty
  • Lumberjack in Love
  • Mine at Midnight
  • Deep Desires
  • Into His Keeping
  • Do Over
  • A Kiss Before Dying
  • Long Time Coming
  • Thank You for Riding (Strangers on a Train)
  • Big Boy
  • Lightning That Lingers
2919028
After doing time at Fortune 500 companies on both coasts, I found myself living in the suburbs of a small Midwestern city. The glamour of various cube farm jobs had worn off, so I gave up making a decent living to take Joseph Campbell’s advice and follow my bliss: writing romance.
More about Anne Calhoun...