Start by marking “Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs ” as Want to Read:
Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the  Pharaohs

Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  263 ratings  ·  16 reviews
It has been almost three decades since the first traveling exhibition of Tutankhamun's treasures drew nearly 10 million viewers and sparked worldwide "Tut-mania." Now, celebrating this priceless collection's new tour of Europe and the United States, National Geographic presents a jewel-like little book featuring more than 30 of its finest pieces.

Based on the official catal
Published October 4th 2005 by National Geographic (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs

Claire
A slim volume but full of well captioned photographs of ancient Egyptian artifacts from an exhibit which I got to see. A very cool reminder of that day in Philadelphia.

The text covers Tutankhamun's life as well as the results of a CT scan of his mummy. Those images are both really interesting and kind of creepy. Either way, yay for science.
Leviatheninutero
It has admittedly been some time since I've read this book. I was seventeen at the time, and even than, though I admit that the photography is wonderful, it never really kept my interest past the photos due to being mostly information I had already read about in other sources. However this is my own personal opinion, and I can readily recommend it to those with a passing knowledge of the subject, or just people who love beautiful photography.
Shirley
Amazing photographs but I would have liked more narrative about the rulers of Egypt and less about this artifict found in King Tut's tomb... I like history, not as much art history.
Lola
Dec 21, 2011 Lola rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Ancient Egypt and Tutankhamun
Recommended to Lola by: Farrah
When my best friend went to Chicago and saw that ancient Egypt exhibit, she brought me back this book. Though a short read, it was fascinating to hear about the virtual reconstruction of Tutankhamun's face virtually and what they've been able to gather about his life and death just from studying his body. Other members of his family were also included, and the pictures helped make it all more interesting.
Christine Bewley
My husband & I drove for 7 hours to Chicago to see this exhibit in the Field Museum. Only to find out no pictures were allowed. None. Not even without using flash. I was lucky enough to find this book on Amazon.com for half the price it was listed for in the museum. Almost all of the artifacts that I viewed are in the book and now I have something I can show to people and say, I got to see that.
Denise
Gorgeous photographs of artifacts, lovely descriptions, and a relevant sprinkling of history. Complimentary to the exhibits and a worthy resource for those unable to visit but still wishing to see some of the treasures. Anyone looking for the most recent information on Tutankhamun should be aware this is a 2005 print. The book contains information about the CT scans and a photograph of the latex model.
Jennifer Haight
This is a beautifully presented brief introduction to the Tutankhamun collection and history. It is in an appealing hand size format which is not overwhelmong for those that don't often read non-fiction. It does contain enough information and unique photographs to engage those that already are fascinated by and study the era and its artifacts.
Andrew Volpe
What else can I say? One of the most significant Egyptian collections / exhibitions in history, and one of my fondest memories. I consider myself very fortunate to have seen this exhibit in Philadelphia PA.
Jenifer
Sep 22, 2008 Jenifer marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Don't tell my husband but I have a little crush on Zahi Hawass! I want to read all his stuff! BTW he has an amazing website, just google his name.
Wednesday Green
I have always been geeked about Egyptology. The pictures are amazing - in-depth information, content is well organized.
Jessica
The exhibition was excellent and this book is a perfect companion to remind me of that glorious viewing.
John P
This was a great companion to a set of audio lectures on the history of Egypt.
Stormy
We went to the Denver Art Museum to see the artifacts -- well worth the drive.
MissyLynne
Beautifully done with great photographs.
Rachel
Love love love this book! :)
Silvana
it`s fantastic
Beth Oliver
Beth Oliver marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Jennifer Ellington
Jennifer Ellington marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Ladan
Ladan marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Elmarie Reinke
Elmarie Reinke marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
M Shimoz
M Shimoz marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Joyce Mollure
Joyce Mollure marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2015
  • The Discovery of the Tomb of Tutankhamen
  • Tutankhamen: Life and Death of a Pharaoh
  • An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, Vol. 1
  • Ancient Egypt: An Illustrated Reference to the Myths, Religions, Pyramids and Temples of the Land of the Pharaohs
  • Treasures of Tutankhamun: National Gallery of Art, Field Museum of Natural History & the University of Chicago, New Orleans Museum of Art
  • The Murder of Tutankhamen
  • The Complete Tutankhamun: The King, the Tomb, the Royal Treasure
  • Nefertiti: Unlocking the Mystery Surrounding Egypt's Most Famous and Beautiful Queen
  • Ancient Egypt
  • Tutankhamun: The Untold Story
  • The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • What Life Was Like on the Banks of the Nile: Egypt, 3050-30 BC
  • Chronicle of the Pharaohs: The Reign-By-Reign Record of the Rulers and Dynasties of Ancient Egypt
  • The Lost Tomb
  • Egyptian Art
  • The Complete Royal Families of Ancient Egypt
Mountains of the Pharaohs: The Untold Story of the Pyramid Builders Valley of the Golden Mummies Cleopatra: The Search for the Last Queen of Egypt The Curse of the Pharaohs: My Adventures with Mummies Silent Images: Women in Pharaonic Egypt