Start by marking “Time to Pray” as Want to Read:
Time to Pray

Time to Pray

Yasmin is visiting her grandmother, who lives in a country somewhere in the Middle East. On her first night, she's wakened by the muezzin at the nearby mosque calling the faithful to prayer, and Yasmin watches from her bed as her grandmother prepares to pray. A visit with Grandmother is always special, but this time it is even more so. Her grandmother makes Yasmin prayer c ...more
Published September 1st 2010 by Boyds Mills Press

To ask other readers questions about Time to Pray, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time to Pray

Michelle Pegram
May 24, 2014 Michelle Pegram rated it really liked it
This dual language, English and Arabic, picture book is a story about Yasmin, a young Muslim girl who is visiting her grandmother in an unnamed Middle Eastern country. She watches the green lights in the minaret of a nearby mosque on her first night and is fascinated by the muezzin calling Muslims to prayer five times each day. Young enough that she is not expected to participate fully in the prayers but old enough to be interested in learning, Yasmin spends time with her grandmother purchasing ...more
Alysia
Mar 09, 2015 Alysia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-book
This is a beautiful story about a girl visiting her grandmother. Her grandmother teaches her how to pray during her visit. The art is great and the book is in English and in Arabic as well.
Elizabeth
Time to Pray is a sweet story about a girl and her grandmother, but also a girl strengthening her faith. As the two spend time on Yasmin’s visit they share sweet moments over food and shopping while the grandmother helps Yasmin learn to pray. I do think the book does a good job feeling like this is primarily for Muslim children. It’s not overly explanatory, but it still feels accessible to non-Muslims. I think the relevance of the story lies in the relationship between Yasmin and her grandmother ...more
Deb
Jun 11, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it
Connection:

(text to text) This book reminded me of _A Path of Stars_ by Anne Sibley O'Brien, another picture book I read for this class. In both books, the protagonists are both very close to their grandmothers. In _Time to Pray_, Yasmin's grandmother provides her with prayer clothes and supplies that help her become more observant of her Muslim faith. In _A Path of Stars_, Daya's grandmother's stories connect her to her family's homeland of Cambodia.

Bloom's Taxonomy Questions for Discussion:

Alaina Rogers
Mar 15, 2013 Alaina Rogers rated it really liked it
Shelves: multicultural
Audience: This would be great to younger children such as kindergarten or 1st grade. The older grades can read this independently so it would be appropriate up to even middle school. The topic would be great for children who are Arabic and for all the other children in the class because they will be able to read about another culture. This would be good for both boys and girls because it is a topic that could interest both genders.

Appeal: This book has a lot of pictures and a lot of Arabic writi
Holly Williams
Jun 11, 2013 Holly Williams added it
Shelves: primary
Arab American Book Award Children/Young Adult Honorable Mention 2011

Audience: Primary

Genre: Realistic Fiction

Text-to-Self: Immediately, this title stood out to me: Time to Pray. This book is an Arab American book focusing primarily on the Muslim religion but I can definitely relate, in certain aspects, because of my Christian faith. One line in particular really struck me. A grandmother is talking to her granddaughter and tells her, "Prayer is better than sleep. Prayer is better than sleep." Thi
Kelly
Sep 24, 2010 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
picture book introduction to muslim prayer practices. a girl visits her grandmother in an unnamed middle eastern country and learns about the daily prayer ritual. it's easy for an uninformed reader to put themselves in the girl's shoes as she encounters the rituals for the first time. this book could serve as a great starting point for discussion of many different topics with children (intro to religion, cultural differences, etc). at the end is an informational page with specific words and defi ...more
Griselda Mendez
Aug 01, 2012 Griselda Mendez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: text-set
Time to Pray by Maha Addasi is one of very few picture books for children that speak about the Muslim religion. Readers do not have to be Muslim to be captivated by this tale of Yasmin visiting her grandmother and learning the ritual of prayer. The book also exposes children to beautiful Arabic characters and landscapes. Yasmin is able to form a strong bond with Teta that endures long after she has returned home. This book is really great for readers who have not been exposed to different countr ...more
Keka
May 08, 2015 Keka rated it liked it
I was lurking in the children's section at the library checking out new children's books to read with my niece(one of my favorite pastimes) and this caught my eye so I had to pick it up.

I like the story. I think it is a great book for a kid who is not Muslim to learn about what Muslims do. It's even a good book for a Muslim kid. However, as a Muslim adult, I have to wonder why the little girl didn't already know how to pray or have prayer clothes. It was clear that her parents weren't doing the
Shelli
Dec 14, 2010 Shelli rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a sweet and informative read about Muslim faith and the importance that is placed on prayer in their community. A young American girl, Yasmin, is visiting her grandmother somewhere in the Middle East. Yasmin’s grandmother is not only having a wonderful time seeing her granddaughter, she is teaching her all about the daily traditional prayer cycle and customs of their religion.

The story is beautifully illustrated and written in both English and Arabic. Time to Pray is a wonderful book to
Leo
Jan 30, 2015 Leo rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
This is a fantastic book! Great illustrations. It made me think of the bonds amongst family members especially when it comes to culture and ways of life. I think I'm going to visit my grandma to get more insight about the history, stories and the interesting information that she knows of so that it continues to flourish. Considering she's the only grandparent that I have left, I have to make sure as a grandchild that my own parents are going to keep tradition and pass on their knowledge to my ni ...more
Elizabeth
This book is nice but didn't really grab me -- I wanted to know more about why Yasmin (the young girl protagonist) wants to cultivate a practice of praying five times a day (other than just that she's really close with her grandmother?).

I liked the note at the end about the prayers -- I hadn't realized they had a range rather than an exact time.
Alex
Oct 30, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing
Time to Pray, by Maha Addasi, is a very good book describing the Muslim language. The fact that the story includes the original Arabic language helps the reader to see that language is an important part of the religious culture. It is a very well-written book and it helps the reader to understand the Muslim religion on a very elementary school level.
Katharine
Audience: Grades 1-4
Appeal: Describes a beautiful relationship between grandmother and grandchild and the knowledge and rituals the grandmother passes down to her grand daughter.
Application:I would use this in class as an introduction about the Muslim prayer rituals.
Award: 2011 Arab American Book Award winner
Tracy
Jun 01, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it
This is a good introduction to the 5 prayers that Islam requires of it's followers. I especially like that a prayer clock was mentioned at the end of the story. One of my husbands friends gave us one when the boys were young.
Lisa
May 28, 2011 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I learned a lot about Muslim prayer and religion. I wished the story explained why the Ka'bah is such a sacred site and what is the ultimate purpose in life for the Muslims. A great book to learn about Muslim prayers and how/why they are done.
Lauren Brown
Sep 05, 2013 Lauren Brown rated it really liked it
Shelves: multicultural
An interesting insight into what life is like in the Middle East and how the culture is compares to others. Beautiful illustrations tie the book together. At the end of every paragraph there is writing in their own language and it is interesting to see how our writing compare as well.
Ms Threlkeld
A lovely book written in Arabic with an English translation about a young girl's bond with her grandma and the time she spends with her learning about Muslim prayer ritual.
Amber Cooper
A wonderful multicultural read for elementary children! Great illustrations! This book is full of cultural richness and this is displayed through the text as well as the many pictures.
Edward Sullivan
A good introduction to Muslim prayer practices.
Ursula
Feb 07, 2015 Ursula rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction, from a child's perspective, on prayer customs for Muslims. I found it fascinating. They also have side-by-side Arabic translations.
Crista
Oct 20, 2011 Crista marked it as to-read
Shelves: arab
2011 Arab American Book Award Honorable Mention
Crystal
This book shows a grandmother/granddaughter relationship and explains the prayer customs of Muslims.
John
Oct 30, 2010 John rated it liked it
A good intro to Muslim prayer practices. In the back of the book there is a helpful explanation of the five prayers.
Shahd Rdawi
Dec 15, 2015 Shahd Rdawi rated it it was amazing
Read it for the second time on 3/12/2017!
It's so lovely one
Rebecca Waack
This book is about a little girl who is learning the Muslim ways of praying. She learns when and how to pray when she visits her grandmother who lives near a mosque.
Pat
Nov 18, 2015 Pat rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A must-read for the culturally literate child in this increasingly diverse world
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
It talks about praying and how they do it. E & J
Jessica Ondras
Jessica Ondras rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2015
Reidun Bures
Reidun Bures rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2011