Start by marking “The Crimson Bed” as Want to Read:
The Crimson Bed

The Crimson Bed

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Published March 3rd 2010 by Troubador Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Crimson Bed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crimson Bed

Once Upon Another Time by Rosary  McQuestionLife is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnAfter Forever Ends by Melodie RamoneSpare Change by Bette Lee CrosbyVampire Princess Rising by Jami Brumfield
Best Unknown Books
292nd out of 2,005 books — 1,762 voters
A Curl of Copper and Pearl by Kirsty Stonell WalkerOphelia's Muse by Rita CameronSleep, Pale Sister by Joanne HarrisThat Summer by Lauren WilligMortal Love by Elizabeth Hand
Pre-Raphaelites in Fiction
6th out of 33 books — 15 voters

More lists with this book...

V.r. Christensen
This book provided a very interesting and thought provoking look into the lives of a Victorian couple and their checkered pasts. The novel takes place during the height of the Pre-Raphaelite movement in London, complete with its odd artistic characters who challenge modern morals.

Ellie and Fred are married, but they each harbour dark secrets neither has the courage to reveal. And yet these secrets, hidden for years, find their way to the surface. All actions have consequences, and sometimes the
I became so entangled in the story and characters that I abandoned TV and other distractions in order to spend more time in the world of The Crimson Bed. One of the aspects that made me very happy was the believability. I'm a stickler for logic, no matter how outrageous the storyline: I must be able to think, "Yes, this is believable. I get it." The Crimson Bed never failed me. There were times when I wanted to shout "No!" but this reaction didn't come from disbelief or annoyance. On the contrar ...more
The Crimson Bed sweeps readers deep into Victorian England. At the heart of this story is Fred Ashton Thorpe, a Pre-Raphaelite painter, and the woman he falls in love with and marries, Eleanor Farnham. Each has dark secrets they strive to keep hidden, but life has a way of forcing them out. And this is what happens with each turn of the page in this lush novel. Their love story is both highly romantic and devastatingly tragic.

There are several underlying themes running through the novel - the mo
Author, Loretta Proctor explains the inspiration behind, ‘The Crimson Bed:’ ‘The Crimson Bed’ was inspired long ago by an unusual pencil drawing by D.G. Rossetti called ‘How They Met Themselves’. It shows an idealized couple (himself and Lizzie Siddal) meeting their ‘doppelganger’ in a dark wood. Rossetti drew this on their honeymoon, a strange foreboding of Lizzie’s eventual suicide'.

D.G. Rossetti's How They Met Themselves, 1864 (The Rossetti Archive)This picture has always held great fascinati
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The author knows so much about her subject and weaves this knowledge into the beautifully written finctional story. Her sense of history and her ability to make her readers equate (almost be there) with the era of the story. The characters are well drawn and totally believable. It's a great read and I totally recommend it to Goodread members.
Julia Bell
I was a bit dubious about this story at first. I wasn't sure if I liked Ellie since she seemed to be a bit of a flirt and a bit shallow. But I grew to like her. The story kept picked up and I did love the ending when I discovered the fate of the bed. That was quite poignant.
Mindy Fields
This was an awful book! I don't even know what else to say but what a waste of time.
Nikki Hartline
A memorable story. It wasn't what I expected, but a good story nonetheless.
Angelia marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2015
*artemide* marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
G marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Estela Espinosa Freijo
Estela Espinosa Freijo marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Thuyan marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Jodi marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Rashkasa marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Melanie marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Susan marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Xladyreaderx marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Gwen Zimmer
Gwen Zimmer marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Animetart marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Michelle B. Pike
Michelle B. Pike marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Sheila Griffin
Sheila Griffin marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Jennifer Collard
Jennifer Collard marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Brandi marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Writing and book reading are in the blood. My great grandad used to travel around Turkey carrying a trunk full of his beloved books and during WW2, my Dad wrote 40 page letters in French to my Mother from the desert! So he might well have got round to a novel or two if he had lived long enough.

I gave up writing for years but have now resurfaced in my later life and published two books, written si
More about Loretta Proctor...