Start by marking “Wheels on the Bus” as Want to Read:
Wheels on the Bus

Wheels on the Bus (Raffi Songs to Read)

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  2,092 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Singing and reading to your child are considered two of the most vital ways parents can stimulate the development of a child's brain during the earlist years. Raffi's Songs to Read unites the rhythm, rhyme, and repetition that helps to lay the foundation for later speech, listening, and reading skills. here with fresh new cover designs are some of Raffi's best-known songs. ...more
Board Book, 32 pages
Published January 20th 1998 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Wheels on the Bus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wheels on the Bus

blakeR
Jul 29, 2015 blakeR rated it it was amazing
Book #1 in the series: Heretofore Innocent But Secretly Terrifying Children's Stories

Here's a question for all you parents and teachers who spend literal hours of your life singing this song to your children: did you know it's secretly a tragedy? Don't believe me? I can prove it. Let's just parse it line by line to see the slow, terrible progress of our rolling catastrophe-to-be.

"The wheels on the bus go round and round. . ."
Yes, yes, we know what this means: the wheels are spinning as they roll
SaraLaLa
Jun 14, 2016 SaraLaLa rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, to-buy
I dare you to try to read this and NOT sing it! My daughter seems to like it more because my husband and I sing it together, pointing at the pictures (which are pretty cute, by the way) as we go. Although the style for the illustrations is nothing to write home about, if you look closely at the different characters, there's usually something amusing going on. For example, there's a bratty little girl on the bus that likes to stick her tongue out at everyone. When the bus goes up and down, a woma ...more
Erin Lynn
Oct 16, 2013 Erin Lynn rated it liked it
This gets kind of annoying when a child wants you to keep singing it, but it's cute. I loved that the music was included in the back of the book. Music is always important.
Randee Bontrager
Feb 19, 2017 Randee Bontrager rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el-230
The Wheels on the Bus by Raffi Cavoukian is my all time favorite book as a little kid. I always read this book when I was little and still love it today. I just love how you can sing your way through this book. Instead of reading the book, you can sing it. The illustrations are wonderful by explains what is happening on the bus.

The intended audience for this book would be for Kindergartners and first graders. The teacher could hold up the book and have the students sing along to it. The student
Mindi
Feb 11, 2017 Mindi rated it it was amazing
My grandson love it.
Dave Lester
Dec 25, 2016 Dave Lester rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Raffi Cavoukian tackles the popular children's song "Wheels on the Bus" in what is a fairly standard children's book. The illustrations are what you would expect and the song, of course, well known. This didn't stand out but would be fun if your children enjoy the song.
Alyssa
Oct 26, 2016 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
1. This song book has not won any awards.

2. This song book can be used from preschool and up.

3. This is a classic book on a classic song. With vivid color and illustration, this book really captivates the readers. In using rhythm and repetition this book is an easy read/sing for children of all ages. It is an important way to help give kids an insight to a bus, which some kids may take to school everyday.

4. I remember this song being on a CD my mom used to play in the car all the time. I used to
Maria
Oct 26, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: song
1. Babies to three year old's.
2. The illustrations in this book add a whimsical feel to the story. The images are engaging and muted in color, softening the story line. The story repeats into a song which is a classic for young children. Many children can relate to his book, which is why I believe they find it so engaging.
3. This is a personal favorite. As previously stated the story allows children to relate and connect their personal lives to the book. Many young children take the bus, which
jacky
Oct 26, 2010 jacky rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers - K
Shelves: board-books
This has been a favorite song to sing to Natalie, so its nice to have a book that goes along with it. I really liked how the pictures illustrate the words in a realistic way. I like how there are characters though they never say anything. For example, there is a snotty little girl. The only thing that bothered me was that the illustrations seem to be dated and foreigner (its labeled an "autobus" for example). There are women where handkerchiefs and carrying chickens. All the people are white. Th ...more
Mandy Couch
Jun 18, 2012 Mandy Couch rated it it was amazing
I loved this book!!! This book shows children how to read, sing, and it even displays onomatopoeia. You could use this book as such a teaching tool for the classroom. I like the way it has the words with the pictures and then at the end it has the song that you can sing along with. This book allows the children to interact while reading the book. You could incorporate music and movement while reading. Great book!!

Activity:
I would have the children move to the motions of the book. We would use th
Gabriellaconceicao
Awards: None

Appropriate grade level: Kindergarten-2nd grade

Summary: This is a story vividly describing what it is like to go on a bus and the environment around you. It talks about how things from how the windshield wipers work to how the baby sounds when he cries. It also describes what the bus driver says when everyone gets on.

Review: The repetition of this book makes it incredibly easy for children to join in and learn the pattern of the words. It is an enjoyable book for any younger child w
Kylie Walter
Oct 02, 2011 Kylie Walter rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-334
The Wheels on the Bus is a classic chilren's book and ding along. I have known the Wheels on the Bus sicnce as long as I can rememeber. I think that most people can agree with me on this. If you haven't read or been read the actual book then someone has sang it to you or along with you. I think that due to its singsong nature it is a great book for little kids who are just learning how to read. They will easily be able to memorize the way the sing goes, then they will be able to look at the word ...more
Francesca Brilli
Nov 16, 2015 Francesca Brilli rated it it was amazing
Another really fun book by Raffi. This book is about a bus and the noises that are heard on the bus while it's driving around town. The pictures are simple, but there is always a lot of people/activity on each page. The words perfectly mimic the pictures on the page, and allow the reader to move from page to page smoothly. The pages are all bright and colorful which I think adds to the excitement. Because this book goes along with a song, I feel like it almost heightens the mood. Kids can get ex ...more
Shanna Gonzalez
Jun 04, 2009 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-00-04
This board book has quite a lot going for it: a lively scene of a bus driving around a French provincial town, amusing passengers on the bus acting the way people really act in public -- crying babies, a child licking a lollipop, another sticking out her tongue, a man with a newspaper. This is all set to a familiar, repetitive song, score included. If the parent can stand it, it makes for a lively introduction from lap games to reading for the musically-inclined toddler.
Anna Loeppky
Oct 16, 2013 Anna Loeppky rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
This book was read and sung on a consistent basis in my household. The song is easy for small children to pick up on and it allows them to interact while reading the book. The illustrations also allow the child to notice what part of the song they are at. I recommend this book to early childhood children.
Jan Wright
Jan 08, 2013 Jan Wright rated it it was amazing
Read and sign this book REPEATEDLY with my 18 month old grandson by popular demand. He sings along with me and approximates some of the signs. Love the way this book can be expanded to include experiences from his life ie. The Puppy on the bus says, "Ruff ruff ruff..." Illustrations are clear and clever.
Joy
Oct 14, 2012 Joy rated it liked it
My four year old has expressive language disorder so speaking is hard for her. However, they have taught her "Wheels on the Bus" at school, complete with all the actions so now she enjoys this book and tries to sing along and do the actions. There is music in the back if you wish to play the song on the guitar or piano.
Robin Rousu
A perfect toddler book. Interactive, simple, and repetitive song paired with charming illustrations. Love the details in the pictures that reveal the bus is in France (or maybe Montreal, Raffi is Canadian...).
Kat
Jan 27, 2012 Kat rated it it was amazing
A perfect choice for a board book. It's a song, so you can keep singing while the kids keep turning the pages themselves. It has a lot of little details in the pictures so that even my preschooler likes to look at it (like finding the girl who sticks her tongue out, etc.).
Purna
Apr 18, 2008 Purna rated it it was amazing
this was my favoritest book in preschool! i uesed to sin"daadoo daadoo daadoo bampata tam, bampata tam, bampata tam, daado daadoo daado, bampata tam...in the wheels on the bus tune, for the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round, the wheels on the bus...
Modboy
Jul 17, 2010 Modboy rated it liked it
I really do like this song/book but at the same time it sure can get tedious. Luckily, the little ones usually don't know when you're skipping pages. My family loves when the baby takes center stage: Wah, wah, wah!
Danny
Apr 02, 2011 Danny rated it it was amazing
A first favorite. Danny read the board book to shreds - it was in at least three pieces by the time we have to discard it. Now they're onto the paperback version, which is also looking pretty ratty.
Lisa
Apr 14, 2008 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
A great book for baby bedtime, especially if you know the song and hand motions. Our copy is well worn. We have been reading it every night. The kids love when the baby goes waa, waa, waa and the parents go shh, shh, shh.
Aug 22, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
We used to sing this song in every toddler time, I haven't used it in a while. I'll have to bring it out again. I like books that follow familiar songs because kids who know the words feel like they are "reading" as they can follow along.
Sharon
Jul 13, 2012 Sharon rated it it was amazing
We've been through a couple of editions of this book. The boys read the board book to rags, and now there gving the paperback version the once-over. They still won't let us sing the song, though.
Charlotte
Feb 08, 2009 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
This is pretty much Charlotte's favorite book - one of the most requested, most read since she was very tiny.
Yvonne
Jun 23, 2014 Yvonne rated it it was amazing
Both of my daughters, ages 5 months and 3 years old love this book! They both smile and my three year old sings along.
Megan Glass
Sep 24, 2015 Megan Glass rated it it was amazing
I read this to my son and he likes it. It's a good read to him. But overall, he likes anything I read to him but this one would be his favorite.
Leonardo
Aug 12, 2016 Leonardo rated it liked it
Ni conozco la canción, pero igual la terminas cantando. Está bueno que al final tiene la partitura.
Quintin Bostic
This is a good book for the well known "wheels on the bus" song. By using this visual, the children will fall in love with this song.
  • Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star
  • Bright Baby Animals
  • One, Two, Three!
  • Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes
  • Who Took the Cookies from the Cookie Jar?
  • Everywhere Babies
  • Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree
  • Quiet Loud (Leslie Patricelli board books)
  • Kiss Good Night
  • Ten Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed (Classic Books with Holes)
  • Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
  • Gossie and Gertie
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 0-3) (Best Behavior
  • A Treasury of Curious George
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose! (A Lift-the-Flap Book)
  • Global Babies
  • The Wheels on the Bus

Raffi Songs to Read (9 books)
  • Baby Beluga
  • Down by the Bay
  • EVERYTHING GROWS RAFFI SONG RD (Raffi Songs to Read)
  • Five Little Ducks
  • One Light One Sun (Raffi Songs to Read)
  • Shake My Sillies Out
  • Spider on the Floor
  • TINGALAYO (Raffi Songs to Read)