Start by marking “Cynics” as Want to Read:
Cynics

Cynics (Ancient Philosophies)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  55 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Far from being pessimistic or nihilistic, as modern uses of the term "cynic" suggest, the ancient Cynics were astonishingly optimistic regarding human nature. They believed that if one simplified one's life—giving up all unnecessary possessions, desires, and ideas—and lived in the moment as much as possible, one could regain one's natural goodness and happiness. It was a l ...more
Published October 28th 2008 by University of California Press (first published August 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Cynics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cynics

Leo Horovitz
Very good introduction to Cynicism (of the ancient kind, a school of philosophy having very little to do with the modern meaning of the word). We get to see the development of Cynical thought through its historical beginnings (which are a bit controversial, either Antisthenes is the first Cynic, or Diogenes is) through the classical Greek period, the empires of the Hellenistic and roman eras, and finally get a discussion of the influences of Cynical thought on thinkers after the disappearance of ...more
Tom
Apr 13, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
"Beard-growing alone does not make a philosopher"

A long-winded overview of the book:
This book goes into the history and influence of the Cynic "school" of philosophy. The term has its origins in the Greek word for dog, as the philosophers lived in a fashion, out in the open and shamelessly, that was pejoratively linked with the animal, which Greeks thought was sort of filthy, rather than man's best friend. They generally tried to free themselves from the burdens of human customs and lived instea
Socraticgadfly
Jan 03, 2012 Socraticgadfly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very good introduction to Capital-C Cynicism the philosophy, which is much different in many ways from cynicism the social behavior, though Cynics did at times act in a way that we might today call specifically cynical.

In the first semester of my college Philosophy 101 course, Cynics (and Skeptics) got short shrift among ancient Greek philosophies, not only compared to Socrates/Plato/Aristotle, but also compared to the Stoics, the Presocratics and to a degree, even the Epicureans.

Which
Michael Lipford
Started out well but delved too far into extremes. I like the idea of renouncing (or at least questioning) traditional customs but this seemed to delve into an area where things just start to become counterproductive in everyday life. An interesting look at this chapter of history but I'm glad to society on some levels has moved past it.
Paul Pellicci
I don't know what I expected, but... Cynics are a breed of "philosophers" that were mostly like "dogs". They had sex in public, they deficated where they stood and did everything they could to put "it in the man's face" sort of thing. One of the main Cynics was called "dog". If I knew what it was going to be like I probably whould have read about Stoics.
Erin Panjer
Jul 29, 2011 Erin Panjer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful history of the Cynics and how they influenced those thereafter. The claim that modern day cynics must find a way to return to the cheekiness of the classics sits well with me, as well as the core cynical ideal of living naturally.

This book was incredibly informative, and well organized, a fantastic read.
Tlaloc
Oct 15, 2010 Tlaloc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
I read this book on a rainy afternoon at a bookstore and was very satisfied. This book, for its length, offers a comprehensive assessment of the historical and doctrinal beliefs of the Cynics, as well as the biographies of their great thinkers. Though I did not buy it, being on a student budget, I think it would nicely compliment any philosophical cranny on the bookshelf.
Kyle
Apr 26, 2013 Kyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The "Ancient Philosophies" series by the University of California Press offers excellent introductions to early systems of thought. I highly recommend Desmond's book, which is thorough not only in it's explication of Cynic philosophy, but also in giving the context of Greek and Roman ideas.
Andrew
Sep 16, 2011 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the earlier portions of the book on the lives of the ancient Cynics best and I of course wish more of their original writings survived as well as those of their contemporaries.
Cynical
Jan 20, 2016 Cynical rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great overview of Cynic history. Some nice insights as to how the ideas and practices of the Cynics related to both their times and ours.
Stefan
Fil
Fil rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2012
Bima Putra
It's only talk on the surface, not worthy if you want go deep in cynicism
Urh
Urh rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2014
Jean Menzies
Jean Menzies rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Alli Jo
Alli Jo rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2012
Wells Lucas Santo
Wells Lucas Santo rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2016
j.
j. rated it it was ok
May 11, 2015
Kacey Brown
Kacey Brown rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Vladimir
Vladimir rated it really liked it
Oct 18, 2014
Dan
Dan rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2012
William Ferraiolo
William Ferraiolo rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2016
Dustin Lee Fanning
Dustin Lee Fanning rated it liked it
May 05, 2015
Thomas Brown
Thomas Brown rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2014
Jackie Moore
Jackie Moore rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2016
Emily Blakely
Emily Blakely rated it really liked it
Dec 21, 2014
Robert Johnson
Robert Johnson rated it it was amazing
Mar 05, 2013
Roy
Roy rated it really liked it
Nov 16, 2012

Ancient Philosophies (10 books)
  • Stoicism (Ancient Philosophies, #1)
  • The Ancient Commentators on Plato and Aristotle