Start by marking “I Choose You (Pokemon Chapter Book, #1)” as Want to Read:
I Choose You (Pokemon Chapter Book, #1)

I Choose You (Pokemon Chapter Book #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,093 Ratings  ·  52 Reviews
Ash wants to be the world's greatest Pokemon master. With Pikachu at his side he sets off to capture and train every Pokemon he can find. Ash is determined, but there is one huge problem, Pikachu won't listen to a single thing Ash says.
87 pages
Published by Scholastic Inc. (first published July 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about I Choose You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Choose You

The Four-Star Challenge by Howard DewinPokémon Adventures, Volume 44 by Hidenori KusakaThe Best Of Pokemon Adventures by Hidenori KusakaI Choose You by Tracey WestAttack of the Prehistoric Pokemon by Tracey West
Pokemon
4th out of 50 books — 7 voters
Pokémon Mytery Dungeon by Makoto MizobuchiPokémon by Shigekatsu IharaPokemon Mini-Sticker Book by Press PikachuPokemon Mini-Sticker Book by Press PikachuSinnoh Heroes by Scholastic Inc.
Pokemon books
28th out of 72 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Franlys
Dec 15, 2009 Franlys rated it it was amazing
This book is about a kid named Ash. He wants to be the greatest pokemon master but he comes through a lot of problems like battling other Pokemon Catchers. This book is mostly cartoonish this is a television show and i found this book in my house laying around so i decided to read it. This book is entartaining learning about these pokemons attacking other pokemons this book was Great. I would recommend anyone that likes cartoonish shows or pokemons to read this book its very good.
Brandon
The very first book I read. Goddamn!
Geoff
Mar 25, 2015 Geoff rated it really liked it
Love Pokemon...
Yeah, I know, I know...
Mitchel Broussard
Mar 10, 2011 Mitchel Broussard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ahh-childhood
This'll be a nostalgic review for the whole Pokemon chapter book series.

Oh, the memories.

Most specifically of waking up hours before everyone else whilst on vacation in our family camper, leaning over for the stack of (then super long at a grand total of 100 pages) Pokemon paperbacks, and having awesome adventures with Ash and the gang. As a child who was wholly prohibited from any sort of pet (sans fish... whoopee for me) the Pokemon phenomenon offered me a form of escapism. Hell, who wants a
Sarah Sammis
Feb 10, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it really liked it
Shelves: pc
Most of the children's books I review on this blog belong to my children. Before either child was born, I was a Pokémon fan. I started with the cartoons that were shown on the KidsWB and from there moved onto the games. When my son was about two and a half he discovered the Pokémon cartoons at daycare. Now Harriet is also into Pokémon.With both children enjoying the series and games we have started to collect the old chapter books that first came out when the cartoon was imported.

The first in th
John Gentry
Nov 16, 2015 John Gentry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, adventure
5 stars because Pokemon. It's the ultimate nolstagia trip for me. I mean I almost feel like Pokemon was my generations THING. At least one of the top five defining pop culture phenomenons. So this is the start of it all. The beginning of the story. Five stars because fuck the haters I grew up on everything Pokemon and I might not play the new games, watch the new shows, or read the new books/comics/whatever but I will always love the first storyline.
Isaac Pardowsky
Jan 19, 2016 Isaac Pardowsky rated it it was amazing
I like this book because i am a pokemon fan also I like that ash wants to achieve to be the greatest master of them all. Ash does have trouble on the way like pikachu, misty and Brock, and team rocket. For examples team rocket always wants to steal pikachu and the pikachu doesn't listen to ash which makes things harder. Also the spearow chased him off the waterfall. that is what this book is about.
Tomek
Apr 12, 2016 Tomek rated it it was ok
I thought this was a poor adaptation of the anime because the text seemed to be aimed a 2 year old children, rather then the more broad appeal of the anime(thought that is still childish). I would only recommend to 4-5 year old children, still to young for the manga.
Orpiment99
Sep 15, 2014 Orpiment99 rated it really liked it
For those who want a nostalgic visit to the old Pokemon Red and Blue days this is the book for you. This book is an adaptation from the American Pokemon cartoon, season 1. Great for introducing your kids or other young children to the "original" Pokemon cartoon or Pokemon games from "long ago."
Solveig
Aug 24, 2015 Solveig rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, english, fiction
Short and sweet adventure story introducing the boy Ash and his Pokemon Pikachu. Rather simple and predictable, but fun all the same.
David
Mar 25, 2015 David rated it really liked it
I loved this book as a kid. Any novel based on something I was into got my attention.
Argelio Marrero
Oct 12, 2014 Suleman Ali rated it it was amazing
Shelves: asd
Jibin
Oct 14, 2008 Jibin rated it it was amazing
this the first pokemon book that tracey west wrote it was where ash gets his pikachu and meets team rocket for the first time and ash trains pikachu in his first gym the thunder gym which was a wrong choice because pikachu is thunder and cannot defeat their pokemon easily ash thinks about a plan and uses it and it works i also liked the part when pikachu didnt obey ash at first but then saved ash from a another pokemon

jibin
Cory
Jun 13, 2011 Cory rated it it was amazing
I love pokemon. Ash sets off for his journey for all badges and to becoe the worlds greatest trainer. He couldn't do that with a pikachu that dosen't listen. Ash goes through a brutal and electrifying journey with pikachu that bonds them closer and cause pikachu to actually listen. Now they've set off for their journey!

As I was a kid I loved to watching pokemon and from time to time I still watch it. Pikachu is still there!
Mister
Apr 21, 2013 Mister rated it it was ok
So, being that this book is probably for ten-year-olds it's obviously supposed to be simplistic. But events happen way too fast. At one point it's pretty much, "Oh yeah and Brock is with them, too." And we completely skip the Boulder Badge and Cascade Badge?

To be fair, the back says it's based on the TV show and not a direct transcription of it. But it does feel like they're skipping a lot of content.
Simon
Oct 05, 2011 Simon rated it really liked it
Oh wow, I totally remember this and being in love with it! I had a huge Pokemon phase from the time I was 5 to about 9, then Lego took over.

This was a fun book, I remember that, and I can remember parts of it and being excited to choose my own Pokemon, but man, that was so long ago, and while I will never forget my craze for them, I have moved on.
Shifan
Nov 13, 2011 Shifan rated it really liked it
Warning! This may contain spoilers!!!

First of all, the book is good & he second, the TV show looked better than the book. That was when I got obsessed with Pokemon. You should've read it. Pikachu may be a spoil sport but later, he gets friendly.
Joseph Maksoud
Jan 17, 2013 Joseph Maksoud rated it really liked it
i realy liked this book. this book is about a young ten year old boy named ash ketchem from pallet town it was time for his very first pokemon. he picked pickachu because all the athere one were chosen
Alexandria
May 21, 2012 Alexandria rated it really liked it
Ben
Oct 03, 2012 Ben rated it really liked it
i started reading my old books at home and i really enjoy how ash chooses pikachu, for all kids this is a real awesome book and i would definately recommmned it.
Heaven
Feb 09, 2013 Heaven rated it really liked it
It a pretty good book, I grew up watching the shows and movies. They where the best. It's just the book version of the episode but its still a pretty good book.
Fluffy2191 Johnston
Feb 03, 2009 Fluffy2191 Johnston rated it liked it
this one great book. when i first read it i was 6 years old, thats when pokemon was popular. i wish they could have keep the real show and not the gay one now.
Max Ramos
May 23, 2011 Max Ramos rated it really liked it
i love pokemon and i love the book i do think she sould have made pikachu for little bit longer mad at ash but it was a pretty good book
READ THE BOOK
  • The Best of Pokémon Adventures: Yellow
  • The Official Pokémon Handbook
  • Pokemon Pop Quiz (Pokemon Pop Quiz, #1)
  • Let's Find Pokemon! Special Complete Edition: Find Pokemon Sp Ed
  • Pokémon Diamond & Pearl Pokédex - The Official Pokémon Full Pokédex Guide
  • Pokémon Mytery Dungeon: Ginji's Rescue Team
  • Pokemon Graphic Novel, Volume 1: The Electric Tale Of Pikachu!
  • Pokemon (Piano Sheet Music)
  • Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire (Prima's Official Strategy Guide)
  • Pokémon: Diamond and Pearl Adventure!, Vol. 2
  • Pokemon Emerald: Prima Official Game Guide
  • Pokemon: How to Draw the Newest Pokemon
  • Pokemon Ultimate Handbook
  • Pokemon
Tracey West is the bestselling author of more than 200 children's books. She is currently working on the Dragon Masters series, which is part of the Scholastic Branches line. Her past series include Pixie Tricks, Scream Shop, and Hiro's Quest.

Tracey is also known for writing books based on cartoons and films, including dozens of books about Pokemon.

She currently lives in New York's Hudson Valley w
More about Tracey West...

Pokemon Chapter Book (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • Island of the Giant Pokemon (Pokemon Chapter Book, #2)
  • Attack of the Prehistoric Pokemon (Pokemon Chapter Book #3)
  • Night in the Haunted Tower (Pokemon Chapter Book #4)
  • Team Rocket Blasts Off! (Pokemon Chapter Books #5)
  • Charizard, Go! (Pokemon Chapter Book, #6)
  • Splashdown in Cerulean City (Pokemon Chapter Book, #7)
  • Return of the Squirtle Squad (Pokemon Chapter Books #8)
  • Journey to the Orange Islands (Pokemon Chapter Book #9)
  • Secret of the Pink Pokemon (Pokemon Chapter Book #10)
  • The Four-Star Challenge (Pokemon Chapter Book, #11)