Start by marking “Han Solo and the Lost Legacy” as Want to Read:
Han Solo and the Lost Legacy

Han Solo and the Lost Legacy (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures #3)

3.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,326 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
There's a fabled treasure at stake and a price on Han's head. So he and Chewbacca head for a planet rumored to hide undreamed-of riches. But once they get there, Han's beloved spacecraft, the Millennium Falcon, is hijacked by a band of assassins and killer robots. Their chances for survival are so slim, they might as well risk it all….
Hardcover, Science FIction Bookclub, 185 pages
Published August 12th 1980 by Del Ray (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Han Solo and the Lost Legacy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Han Solo and the Lost Legacy

Brad
Han Solo and the Lost Legacy is the last of the original Han Solo trilogy published way back between 1979 and 1980. The Indiana Jones movies began to appear in 1981. Keep those dates in mind.

Why? I'll get to it right now. Perhaps it would have been better to name this book Han Solo and the Temple of the Crystal Skull.

I was reading along -- at a slow, slow pace since I had other things to read -- when Han Solo sucked me in for a final reading push with a major divergence from what had become the
Bradley
Jul 31, 2009 Bradley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
The series runs out of gas here. It starts out with an interesting premise of a treasure hunt involving Han and Chewie, but the adventure itself was surprisingly average. Not as much action involving the Millenium Falcon, more a trek through mountains, like something out of a fantasy novel. The character Gallandro returns, which was nice (I imagine him looking like Lee Van Cleef for some reason), however the book as a whole is not to the standard set by the previous two. Overall, I feel this tri ...more
Ian Laskey
The last of Brian Daley's "Han Solo Adventures", originally published in August of 1980 just after the release of The Empire Strikes Back in cinemas. As with Daley's previous two Solo novels, this is a "prequel" adventure for Han and Chewbacca with no ties to any stories/films by George Lucas: consider these the first of the Star Wars Expanded Universe novels and, as such, there's little of the fabric and lore of what we now consider Star Wars to be (no Force mysticism, for instance, or Jedi Kni ...more
Erik
This is the book that probably started my love for reading. The first time I saw it I was about 6 years old and A New Hope had just come out in the theaters and was still fresh in my mind. Being too young to read it I thought it was the story that I had enjoyed so much in the theater, then I was told that this was a story about Han Solo before the events in the movie, my young mind was blown away I could not believe there was more to the story, further adventures. I was determined to learn how t ...more
John
Aug 20, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, the jury is still out on where I would rate this installment against the other two. Like most movies with sequels, the first book of the three was the best. Perhaps Daley should have stopped after Star's End, as it really felt like the most solid and Star Wars-esque of the three. Not to say that Revenge and Lost Legacy are without merit, they just felt closer to fantasy novels than Star Wars novels, at times; particularly this one.

Some have said that this particular entry in the series r
Adam
The Brian Daley books have a lot going for them in some respects. It's interesting to compare them to Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which came out a year before this one. Both were written before ESB, when the GFFA was still young and unformed (the book was written before the Imperial March, isn't that weird?). They're basically ground zero for the EU. They're both pulp adventure stories, but beyond that they're totally different. Splinter is a jungle serial structured out of monster encounters an ...more
Jaime
Jun 27, 2016 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because life sucks 10,000 credits quickly, Han & Chewie are working in the Tion Hegemony for a guy neither likes. They end up taking on a job to find the ship Queen of Ranroom, which housed Xim the Despot's treasure. They work with Hasti, Badure, and Skynx to steal evidence of the ship, like a log recorder, look for Hasti's sister, and getting the Millennium Falcon back without being sacrificed. The adventures are interesting, but not the greatest IMO. Though they do all uncover quite an int ...more
Allen McDonnell
Nov 21, 2015 Allen McDonnell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this series as they came out, a great view of Han Solo and Chewbacca before they met Luke Skywalker. Lots of information and character development, a must read for fans of the smuggler Captain and the Millennium Falcon. Have read this book cover to cover several times and still own the replacement copy I got after a flood 15 years ago. This volume wraps up Han and Chewie's prequel adventures and closes with them heading to Tattoine seeking work. Highly recommended all three for the Star War ...more
Jacob
Feb 10, 2014 Jacob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This guy's writing gets worse and worse as time goes on. Goes out of his way to make his writing difficult to read. The story itself was fun, but had a few major plot holes that sort of ruined it for me.
Karl
Jun 15, 2010 Karl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
This is a lot like a "travel-log" where the heroes go from point A to point B with some adventures in between. It wasn't bad but it wasn't the most exciting adventure, either.
Theresa
Feb 08, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
Wow! So much better than the second book. He really managed to capture the essence of Han Solo. All of his frailness and his jokey sarcasm.

This could be read without reading the other two. Bollux and Blue Max are still here but they don't require much back reading and the Gallandro character could be figured out without the background I think.

Once again, Han finds himself in a situation where he should help but doesn't want to. Chewbacca makes him do it. They owe Badure a life debt. All of the
Ell Eastwood
Not amazing. I was very annoyed that there was a cute redhead who basically told Han he had to get some real human friends because Chewie doesn't count ... because he's a wookie? Isn't that basically racism in this universe? Jfc.

The best part was two-page discussion between Bollux and Blue Max as to whether or not war robots can really be blamed for their actions because they're robots, they're just doing what they've been told, and do they really deserved to be killed for it? Idk, I thoght it w
Christopher Rush
Daley finishes up his very early Han Solo trilogy with a story that wraps up a couple of loose ends from the earlier books and tries to connect itself to A New Hope fairly well. The "feel" of the book is still off, but as with the other early books I suspect I wouldn't have that problem had I read this back when it was written. Daley moves us out of the Corporate Sector Authority portion of the galaxy and does for the first time mention the Empire and the Old Republic, but they are only passing ...more
Mark Oppenlander
I loved these Han Solo books growing up and this was my favorite of the series. It wasn't just that this book concluded the trilogy but that it did so with such style and verve. Daley really got the Han and Chewbacca characters right, IMHO, and the way they interact in this series never caused me to grimace as I have with the versions of the characters I've read in some of the later EU books.

Perhaps it also appealed to me that Han Solo, the original bad-boy smuggler was chasing after the treasur
Paul Darcy
Jan 08, 2012 Paul Darcy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
by Brain Daley, published in 1980.

Can anything ever go Han Solo’s way? After finishing “Han Solo And The Lost Legacy”, I’m beginning to wonder. Always on the lookout for that one job that will set him free (does he really want that anyhow?) Han Solo runs into an old “acquaintance” on a backwater planet (what other type would he be hanging around on?) and finds out about something extraordinary.

Something which tempts his opportunistic heart more than the temptations of the past. It seems that the
Gary
Apr 07, 2016 Gary rated it it was ok
I was disappointed by this book. I re-read Daley's first two Han Solo books, having done so in my youth when they were first released, I don't recall reading this one at that time. In re-reading the first two, for the most part, they held up well and my memory of enjoying them turns out to have been accurate, even through the lens of 30 years' life experience since. This one however, was unfocused, lacking in sufficient plot and confusingly written. Alhthough a very fast read, I was nevertheless ...more
Noel Thingvall
May 26, 2016 Noel Thingvall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the best compliment I can give this trilogy is that I love Daley's original characters so much that I'm sad they never really carried on throughout the EU so I won't get to go on any new adventures with them. Especially Bollux and Blue Max. We need so much more Bollux and Blue Max. This one is another fun pulp adventure, and I like how Daley does hook a lot of elements he's been building over the loose trilogy to an actual climax before leading into the first film.
James
May 23, 2010 James rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
The story is a follow-up to Han Solo at Stars' End and refers to it throughout the story. Although you don't need to have read it first it would be advisable.

The story is set in a sector of space where the Empire has not yet got a solid grip and is not really that interested, and as such does not have any part in it. This was written at a time when the only other Star Wars story that was available apart from the movie adaptions was Splinter of the Mind's Eye but now that there are numerous novel
Edward Cheer
If you're looking for a quick, kind of fun action story, here you go. If you're a diehard Star Wars fan, and like to see Han Solo's character properly portrayed, just skip this book. Even though it's been two years since I've read this, I distinctly remember Daley writing Solo saying the word, "atrocious", clearly not understanding how a smuggler would talk.
Brad
Apr 12, 2016 Brad rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, star-wars
Having read the three Han Solo adventures back to back, I could almost see the ideas fade. What started out as a really good story (At Star's End), fade into a good story (Revenge), and eventually into an almost run of the mill story (Lost Legacy).
Although the story was a rollicking adventure with lots of action, it was almost colour by numbers and had lost a lot of zing.
Still worth reading for the Star Wars fan.
Dex
Dec 19, 2014 Dex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading after it's sat on various shelves for 30 years. It's plain and simple fun. At a time when the Star Wars canon was infinite in potential but limited in source material, Daley mined the original film (Star Wars episode IV: A New Hope) well in order to add some flesh to the Solo character.
Troy
Nov 27, 2014 Troy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All three of these books are an easy read. I read these when I was younger and tried them again. The Lost Legacy reminds of Indiana Jones only in space.
Christian
Jun 01, 2015 Christian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: starwars
Basically Indiana Jones. I thought this book was great. It was exciting and kept my attention, it had some very interesting scenes, and it really was an adventure. Now I know this was written before Indiana Jones was made, but this book could have been made into a movie, and nobody would have known it was Star Wars. It was just like an Indiana Jones epic. 95% of the story is on one planet, they are not flying around, they are hunting for treasure. This was the end to the trilogy, and although I ...more
Erik
Decent action story.
Shaun
Apr 25, 2016 Shaun rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I wanted to like this book, but it was just too slow for me. It became a chore to read and took out all the enjoyment of my love for Han and Chewie adventures.

There are a couple of reviews here comparing this story to Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and they are spot on. And sadly, this book, like the move, is the worst in the franchise.

If you're looking for good a Han and Chewie adventure, look elsewhere.
Rick
Jan 25, 2015 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I sure do like Bollux. I wish he made it into the movies somehow. Blue max, too. And this Gallandro chap seems pretty bad-ass. Sad to see him go.

I also like how the author sort of half assedly tried to throw in a romantic angle but no one, not the author, not Han, and not the woman in question, could really work up much enthusiasm for it and the matter was quietly dropped, as it should be.
Travis
Mar 14, 2012 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
The Han Solo trilogy books were fun space opera that, aside from Han and Chewie had almost no other connection to the Star Wars universe whatsoever. So, if you are nitpicky about continuity, you might want to skip this.

I like the robots that Han had working for him in the books, the gunslinger/bounty hunter character was cool and the grand finale fight scene was great.
King Ævil
I can't quite figure out why, but I didn't enjoy this, the last book in Brian Daley's Han Solo trilogy, as much as the other two. Perhaps it's because the ending is anticlimactic or that it contains a not-so-subtle sneer at academia. More likely, it's because Daley came up with a really stupid name for what the treasure was (you'll have to read the book to find out).
Rich Meyer
Jul 28, 2013 Rich Meyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
The last book in Brian Daley's Han Solo Adventures series is about on the par with the rest of the series, and most of the "expanded universe" stories up until that time. A quick read, a fairly good space opera tale, and move on to the next. Nothing resembling high literature here ... just good pulpy adventure.
Mike Licamele
This book seriously gave me a certain reminiscent about my childhood because I basically just loved the idea that it was star wars. All the characters and adventures in witch they take part in make ma baffled at the amazing deatailes presented to you in the book.
  • Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka (Star Wars: The Lando Calrissian Adventures, #3)
  • Patterns of Force (Star Wars: Coruscant Nights, #3)
  • Slave Ship (Star Wars: The Bounty Hunter Wars, #2)
  • Darkest Knight (Star Wars: Young Jedi Knights, #5)
  • The Ruins of Dantooine (Star Wars: Galaxies)
  • The Joiner King (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #1)
  • Jedi Trial
  • Shield of Lies (Star Wars: The Black Fleet Crisis, #2)
  • The Cestus Deception
  • Tales from the New Republic (Star Wars)
Brian was born in Englewood Hospital in Englewood, New Jersey on Dec. 22, 1947. A blizzard kept him and his mother at the hospital over Christmas, and the nurses sang "Away in a Manger" to them.

His middle name is Charles. He grew up in Rockleigh, NJ. His mother's name was Myra and his father's name was Charles. He has an older brother, David, and a younger sister, also named Myra. He had no child
More about Brian Daley...

Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures (3 books)
  • Han Solo at Stars' End (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #1)
  • Han Solo's Revenge (Star Wars: The Han Solo Adventures, #2)