Start by marking “The Three Bears” as Want to Read:
The Three Bears

The Three Bears (Folk Tale Classics Series)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  41 reviews
This familiar nursery tale features a warmly appealing bear family and a naughty, gap-toothed Goldilocks. "Four- to-six-year-olds are sure to enjoy Paul Galdone's interpretation, and they should gain good visual concepts of size and of right to left from the delightful pictures and the use of various type sizes." -- School Library Journal
Published September 1st 1985 by Perfection Learning (first published May 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about The Three Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Three Bears

David
The Three Bears by Paul Galdone is the classic tale refreshed with the illustratios of Galdone. The text generally keeps to the classic version with the main change being the the bears are differentiated by size and are not referred to as a family. Text size is varied according to which bear is speaking.

The illustrations are simple and effective. There are fun touches such as the little bear always having his teddy bear nearby. Humor is added by showing the Great Big Bear reading a small sized b
Tionna Dorsey
"The Three Bears" by Paul Galdone is part of the picture book collection. The age appropriate for this book is (P) primary ages 5 to 8 years old.

In this story papa bear, mama bear and baby bear went out for a walk because their porridge was too hot to eat. A little girl named Goldilocks broke in and ate baby's bear porridge, slept in his bed and broke his chair. The three bears arrived back home and Goldilocks was caught red handed, so she ran outside to never be seen again.

I rated this book w
Cameron Formichella
The Three Bears by Paul Gardone is simply a classic. The tale of Goldilocks and her curiosity is one for the ages. The theme of this book is to be aware of how your own actions affects others.Goldilocks eventually realizes that by eating porridge that does not belong to her, and sitting in chairs that are not hers, and by sleeping in a bed that is not hers, her actions affect other people.

The illustrations were simple yet amusing. I enjoyed how the author had little wee text for the little wee
Garrett Ellis
Another good read by Paul Galdone, it follows his series focusing on learning lessons. The lesson to be learned in this book that students could put to use would be keeping your hands to yourselves or do not touch someone else's possessions.
K.
It was a good reading Galdone's version of the The Three Bears. My daughter wasn't necessarily thrilled about the fact that the bears were referred to by size instead of as Mama, Papa and Baby bear, but she enjoyed hearing the story nevertheless.
Aimee
The three bears go out for a walk to let their porridge cool when an unexpected visitor stops by. The bears come home to a huge mess and a stranger asleep in a bed.

The classic tale of the three bears is told to many children either in preschool or by their parents. The lesson of not going into a person’s house unless invited is very clear in this book. This book shows a different looking Goldilocks than I read about. This little girl in the story is missing a tooth. Comparing the differences bet
Ashley
The Three Bears by Pual Galdone has a good usage of many different techniques such as the different font sizes when talking about the different sizes of the bear which adds a little effect to the bears sizes. The pictures also play a big role in showing the sizes of the objects and the bears. Overall the illustrations were really god but Goldilocks seems a bit creepy in many of the illustrations, with blacked out teeth and extremely big eyes that seem to have dark circles around them. The book f ...more
Kara
An interesting start to this book is that it changes the three bears status as they are not a family, but just are three bears that live together. It is imply that the wee little bear is a child as he is carrying by one of the adult bears and has a teddy bear. The pictures are simplistic watercolors, and not many details are mentioned, which is part of the traditional literature roots. The portrayal of Goldilocks is consistent with a curious child as her eyes are huge and she has a mischievous g ...more
Musiclib
Easier version of the folk/fairy tale for younger kids to undestand; Pictures seem a bit dated, but overall, a good storytime addition
Jenine
I would enjoy doing the different voices for each bear but this version of the classic lacks oomph overall.
Kyra Hahn
Cute variation on Goldilocks, where she disappears
Matthew Salazar
I remember reading this book as a child several times. The three bears is a classic story passed on from generation to generation. I have heard this story without a book even being present. I also like how the text is in different sizes depending on which bear is talking. I think this is a book that we will see around forever. Many children learn of the story before they are even able to read.
Ashley Massa
Picture Book 6
This classic story of the three bears and goldilocks is sure to be a hit with any child during story time. If the children already know the story, they will love following along and helping the teacher tell the story, and if they don't, the repetitive style of the story is sure to be popular amongst children!
Amanda
This book told the traditional story of the three little bears. The story to me isn't something I've been too fond of but i do know it well. The only really cool aspect about this book was that the font changes from small to large depending on which bear was talking. The illustrations were fun and animated.
Brenda Cregor
This is THE quintessential "story of the three bears".
All the words seem to match those I heard in oral versions, years and years ago.
I suppose the MY LITTLE GOLDEN BOOKS text is quite good, as well, but I like the size of this version and the way font size is used to add to the narrative.
Carol
A traditional fairy tale that no child should miss, this story of the little girl who visits a cottage in the woods where she tastes the hot cereal, tries all of the chairs and the beds. She falls asleep in the smallest bed until the family of three bears returns to find her there.
Lindsay
A classic story retold for younger children. The only thing I dislike in Galdone's version is how Goldilocks looks, which may seem scary for some kids. I used this for a bears-themed story time program for both Spanish and bilingual story times.
Caroline Petty
This book is such a classic! You can never have too many fairy tales in your book collection. The pictures are beautiful and it's the perfect story for reading with expression, especially when describing the sizes of the different bears.
Lisa
The illustrations are funky. The girl on page 10 is weird looking because of the shadowing on her face and she's missing some teeth. I wish the bears were a family instead of living in the same house.
Danielle Wynn
This book teaches students to never take something that does not belong to them!!! I used this book with my first graders and had them to create their own book about The Three Bears.
Jade Saleem
This book teachers young chidlren that it is not ok to take to others thing. It teaches the golden rule: If it not yours do not touch it!" It has pictures of friendly animals ( bears )
Lara
Pretty much the same classic tale we all know. Good illustrations. I like that the text size changes from Large, medium, to small, for the large, medium, and wee little bears.
Samantha
This is a classic tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Good illustrations and the way the words are displayed in the book help add character to each of the bears.
Alex
Great telling of the classic story. Goldilocks looks really scary when she first appears (to Mom, not necessarily to kiddo)
Grace
Classic story of three bears. Can be used with other versions of the story to teacher comparison and perspective and voice.
Caitlin D
I really enjoyed this book because its a classic. The Three Bears is a wonderful book for children and adults of all ages!
Panagiota
My notes: Classic tale of 3 bears; one small, one medium, one large; and of course Goldilocks.

Audio CD
Alicia
Got this with cassette too. I think he must have listened to it 30 times in the first 2 days. 'Nuff said.
  • Deep in the Forest
  • The Little Red Hen
  • Red Riding Hood
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • Too Much Noise
  • 10 Minutes till Bedtime
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • The Seasons of Arnold's Apple Tree
  • Mouse Count
  • Trashy Town
  • I Love Trains!
  • The Three Snow Bears
Paul Galdone (1907 - November 7, 1986) was a children's literature author and illustrator. He was born in Budapest and he emigrated to the United States in 1921. He studied art at the Art Student's League and New York School for Industrial Design. He served for the US Army during world War II.

He illustrated nearly all of Eve Titus' books including, Basil of Baker Street series which was translated
More about Paul Galdone...

Folk Tale Classics Series (8 books)
  • Little Red Riding Hood
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • The Gingerbread Boy
  • The Little Red Hen Big Book
  • The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse
  • The Three Little Pigs Book & CD
  • Three Little Kittens
The Little Red Hen Big Book Three Little Kittens The Gingerbread Boy Henny Penny The Teeny-Tiny Woman