Start by marking “Lady Be Good (American's Lady, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lady Be Good (American's Lady, #2)

Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2)

3.98  ·  Rating Details ·  13,229 Ratings  ·  465 Reviews
Lady Emma Wells-Finch, the oh-so-proper headmistress of England's St. Gertrude's School for Girls, knows only one thing will save her from losing everything she holds dear: complete and utter disgrace! Skirts flying, umbrella pointing, and beautiful mouth issuing orders, she arrives in Texas on a mission ... She has two weeks to lose her reputation.

World famous playboy-ath
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published February 1999 by Avon (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Lady Be Good, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

♥Sharon♥
Apr 20, 2015 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve only recently come upon this author and this is only my second book by her but I truly enjoy her writing. Susan Elizabeth Philips creates story lines and characters that are humorous, unique, sexy and so much fun to read.

Lady Be Good is the second book in the Wynette, Texas series. I’ve read Fancy Pants which is book #1 and loved that one too. This is the story of Lady Emma Wells-Finch and Kenny Traveler. Their meeting is arranged to help with a situation that Kenny is in, but with one litt
Mo
Jun 14, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I originally read this a few years ago and gave it 5 stars. Just finished a re-read and it would not make the 5 star mark today. If Dallie and Fancy Pants hadn't show up, it might even be lower. I don't even know why I didn't love it as much this time around.

I am kind of afraid to re-read the rest of the series for fear that I might find fault with them also.

Still, she is a great author and she will be an "auto-buy" for me.

Classic Susan Elizabeth Phillips! Lady Be Good is the second installment in her adult contemporary romance series titled Wynette, Texas. I just love Ms. Phillips' ability to write amazing humor and romance and she excels at both in this one. Golf is one of my least favorite sports so the male lead's pro-golf career was a bit of a bore for me personally but this is such a fun book! If you're into adult romances filled with laughs, check out this author!!!

My favorite quote:
“Now, this is where I dr
Milica's Bookshelf
Upravo sam završila sa čitanjem, napolju zora sviće a ja se cerim ko idiot.
Obožavam ovakve lagane, opuštajuće ljubavne priče sa malom dozom napetosti.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Sep 28, 2011 Anzu The Great Destroyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: contemporary romance fans I guess...
My first thought on Kenny: is this guy for real?? I thought nah it can’t be! And then this happened:

[the woman is holding two kids in her arms]
He mentally redressed her in a tight top, short skirt, and a pair of stiletto heels, then added black fishnet stockings for good measure. He’d never paid for sex in his life, but he decided he’d be more than happy to throw a little extra cash her way if she ever decided she needed to earn something on the side to pay for her kids’ orthodontics work.

This
Piper
This was properly delightful!! It is the third Susan Elizabeth Phillips novel I have read, and I was just as smitten by it as I was the first two. She writes in a way that makes you laugh out loud, reflect on life’s afflictions, rejoice in second chances, and love falling in love.
Lady Be Good is the second installment in the Wynette, Texas series. The main characters once again depict a Texas golfer and a British lady. Brought together by an “innocent” matchmaker (who also happens to be the her
Tammy
May 30, 2008 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves a fun romp!
Lady Emma Wells-Finch is headmistress of St. Gert's School for Girls. Emma is desperate to create the perfect scandal that will convince the egotistical Duke of Beddington, the main benefactor of her school, that she is not appropriate marriage material. However, while she is trying her best to convince the Duke that she will not make a satisfactory Duchess, she cannot take things too far or he will sell St. Gerts out from under her.

Gorgeous Kenny Traveler - who needs to avoid scandal at all cos
Dija
"Now, this is where I draw the line! It’s bad enough everybody in town’s going to be thinkin’ I’m sleeping with a depressed, lice-ridden, hemorrhoidal foreigner who likes to be tied up and might be pregnant, although—since she’s just about cornered the market on condoms—I don’t know how that could have happened. But I will not —you listen to me, Emma!—I absolutely will not have anybody thinkin’ a woman of mine needs a vaginal moisturizer, do you hear me?"

The good stuff:

1. The romance. It is thor
Dee
- Loved it! After the previous book in the series I was pleased to get more of what I associated as SEP.
- Loved Kenny, liked Emma.
- Liked background stories.
- Very funny which kept me chuckling with more than a few full out belly laughs.
- Looking forward to reading Ted's story. Can't believe that adorable little boy has turned into one sexy young man!
Deeksha
Aug 10, 2015 Deeksha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 Stars

Some books are nice, very comfortable. And a point comes where these books stop becoming your comfort zone and shifting to 'just ok' category, this is one of those.
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
To be honest I didn't begin the book with high expectations because when I tried to read Fancy Pants I kind of got bored with all the old tales and I haven't finished it yet but this book was a beautiful surprise just like all of the others I have read from Susan Elizabeth Phillips! I have to admit that I am a great fun although usually I only read books from this century and this goes a long way to show just how much I love them!

What made this book irresistible :

1) Kenny! I have read hundreds
Jacob Proffitt
Oct 16, 2016 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, steamy
My second by SEP, I didn't like it as much as the first, though I liked it well enough. All of that is down to Emma, though. She's worried about becoming one of "those dear, old things" and is looking to change that with the added impetus of needing to turn an unwanted suitor off the hunt. Because her inherent decency and kindness and stability is warring with her need for change, her actions can be a bit erratic. The thing is, SEP does an excellent job making it reasonable so I didn't feel like ...more
Zeek
I heart this book so much. Both hero and the heroine are right up there with my favorites. Written when SEP was at the top of her game, I can only give it five stars.

Lady Emma Wells-Finch, on a school break from her Head Mistress job at all girls St. Gertrudes, is taking the time to do some study on one of her favorite women in history. Instead, she finds herself in the unlikely position of being escorted around Texas, USA by one of the top players in golf world.

Kenny Traveler, one of the top pl
Duchess Nicole
4.5 Stars

I think I love this series just as much as her Chicago Stars series. I feel like the Wynette, Texas series has a more serious tone to it, despite the pervasive humor. I've been listening to the audiobooks and the narration is spot on. Rarely do I feel like a narrator actually adds to my enjoyment, but this one does. Fantastic book, fantastic series.
Антоанета
Много ми беше забавно през цялото време - страшен хумор. Кени не спираше да се бъзика с Ема и се заливах от смях. Хареса ми и паралелната история на Тори и Декс и как преоткриха любовта. Много по-изчистена от информация от първа част и затова ми хареса повече.
Cyndi
Apr 14, 2015 Cyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly love these books!! What a great writer. I always get swept away to the great state of Texas every time I read one of them.
Yolanda
Feb 07, 2016 Yolanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantástica la SEP. Me hace disfrutar muchísimo. Me han encantado todos los personajes, todos y cada uno...menos Su Ilustrísima, claro.
Lo que me he podido reir....me encanta! No lo puedo remediar
Manda Collins
Nov 23, 2015 Manda Collins rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Reread. So good. I'd forgotten how much I love this book!
Re-read 11/24/2015
Noura
Sep 08, 2015 Noura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my second SEP book that i've read, the first one being What I Did For Love. I was not overly impressed because i found the heroine a bit neurotic. And it seems that the heroine for this book is also a bit of a quirky character. Maybe it's a SEP heroine trait. Idk. But i'm beginning to like the style.

Lady Be Good is a fun story. I kind of have a feeling that the book is set in the late 90s or early 2000s since we are talking about messages sent via facsimiles (wuuut??), no mention of smar
Maggie
I love how I just finished books with male leads named Dallie and Panda (yes, PANDA!), and yet Kenny was the one I had the hardest time wrapping my brain around. I kept calling him Nicky. (Why? Who knows where thoughts come from. They just appear. -Lucas, Empire Records) I liked this one even more than Fancy Pants. There was great chemistry and dialogue between Emma and Nicky Kenny, and the requires-suspension-of-belief plotline actually worked in this zany story. I cracked up at the low-speed c ...more
Jane Stewart
Great Funny Read.

I was doubled over with tears in my eyes hysterically laughing so many times! This story is the romance between two oddly matched people: Lady Emma headmistress of a girls school in England and Kenny a professional golfer in Texas.

DATA:
Narrative mode: 3rd person. Story length: 372 pages. Swearing language: strong including religious swear words but not often used. Sexual language: mild. Number of sex scenes: 8. Setting: 1990's mostly Texas. Copyright: 1999. Genre: humorous conte
Nefise
I like to read SEP's books. Sometimes I have better time all of the story than epilogue. It didn't mean didn't I like epilogue but it was not like that it melted my heart etc. :)
Also, although I know that SEP's heroine is better than hero and her heros are little bit background, I couldn't connect hero much.
As if he's there but not there actually. As if he's one of the secondary characters. All of my complaints, I had very good time.
Amy
Mar 16, 2010 Amy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I used to really like SEP's books, but after a while they all start to sound the same.
CL
 photo LIASOM_zps9e498f89.png

“You really go around calling yourself that? A Head Mistress?”
“It’s what I do.”
He looked vastly amused. “For proper people, you British sure do have some racy job titles.”

“We’re not talking about that now; we’re talking about the fact that I dropped off Mary Poppins and I came back to find Madonna.” His gaze took in her new outfit, purchased at one of the mall’s inexpensive teen boutiques. The sleeveless black T-dress was perilously short and closely fitted, with a zip-neck. Unzipped. Or at lea
Nisha
Mar 06, 2010 Nisha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I seem to be going through SEP books backwards; supposedly this is the 2nd book, but I honestly was not ready to read the 1st.

Lady Be Good, takes place in Texas (which is a treat since I live in Texas), with an English lady headmistress heroine and a lazy PGA golf star millionaire. Lady Emma, aka Lady E, is a 30 year old virgin, who is in the danger of being blackmailed to marry a mad controlling English Duke. To save her school (the object that is used for blackmail), Emma must lose her pristin
Eve
Lady Be Good (Wynette, Texas #2)
by Susan Elizabeth Phillip

Read from July 05 to 08, 2014
Re-Read from January 12 to 17, 2014

Description
When Fransesca (from Fancy Pants) asks Kenny Traveler to escort Lady Emma around Texas to get him back in the golf tour, Kenny doesn't realize what he's getting into.
British Lady Emma may look conservative but she's quite handful because she's determined to ruin her lily white reputation in order to get out of an unwanted courtship.

description
“Now, this is where I draw the
Bella Carstairs
May 27, 2014 Bella Carstairs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-adult
Amor o Chantaje es un PEDAZO DE LIBRO. Una de esas novelas que te engancha desde el principio, te atrapa y te somete con su naturalidad, con sus momentazos cómicos, humanos, rompedores, pasionales y dulces. Cuando un libro te hace ya sonreír o reír en tan sólo las diez primeras páginas - verídico, ya que me ha pasado con éste libro -, la diversión está asegurada, lo cual indica que estamos ante una novela EXCEPCIONAL y única. Una novela de esas que SE DISFRUTA DE VERDAD, que apasiona. Susan Eliz ...more
Maria Sanigan
Feb 07, 2014 Maria Sanigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I just want you to love me. Like you do right now. But for the rest of our lives."

A cute but dominating woman meets Mr. Gorgeous -a domineering man whose life revolves around the one and only thing that matters for him- golf. Golf is the center of his life. It was his hide out; the one thing in his life that made him think his father might accept him if he win a thousand golf battles of his own. This was his one and only way of living and nothing -no one- could stop him from winning! Except t
Books 6 31 Mar 11, 2015 04:35AM
  • The Trouble With Valentine's Day (Chinooks Hockey Team, #3)
  • Be My Baby
  • Take a Chance on Me
  • Breakfast in Bed (Domestic Gods, #3)
  • Heiress for Hire (Cuttersville, #2)
SUSAN ELIZABETH PHILLIPS

The Huffington Post says the books of Susan Elizabeth Phillips provide a “gateway drug to the whole [romance] genre,” which she assumes is a good thing. Bookpage magazine calls her “the crown jewel of romantic comedy writers,” which is definitely a good thing. Since she wrote her first novel on a typewriter in her kitchen, her books have been published in over 30 languages
More about Susan Elizabeth Phillips...

Wynette, Texas (5 books)
  • Fancy Pants (Wynette, Texas, #1)
  • What I Did for Love
  • Call Me Irresistible
  • The Great Escape

“Now, this is where I draw the line! It's bad enough everybody in town's going to be thinkin' I'm sleeping with a depressed, lice-ridden, hemorrhoidal foreigner who likes to be tied up and might be pregnant, although-since she's just about cornered the market on condoms-I don't know how that could have happened. But I will not-you listen to me, Emma!-I absolutely will not have anybody thinkin' a woman of mine needs a vaginal moisturizer, do you hear me?” 98 likes
“Both of you’ll just have to believe me. Emma’s one of those women who was born with… The thing is, the minute a heterosexual man looks at her, all he can think about is – well, her mouth, and – ”

“Emma?” Torie’s own mouth gaped in astonishment.

Patrick crossed his legs. “Maybe we’re not talking about the same person. British accent? Good appetite? Hums songs from The Lion King when she doesn’t think anybody’s listening?”
29 likes