Start by marking “Bent Creek” as Want to Read:
Bent Creek

Bent Creek

Deep in the hollows of Appalachia, in the shadow of Big Black Mountain, there used to be a coal-mining town called Bent Creek. When the workers went on strike and the mine closed the town disappeared leaving behind the families whose lives depended on the mine for their meager living. They were the poorest of the poor. Rachael Riley was one of six children born to Ida Mae ...more
Published March 3rd 2010 by Bearhead Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Bent Creek, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bent Creek

Renee
Jun 06, 2012 Renee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, the entire time I was reading this book, I kept thinking about Loretta Lynn's story, being a coal-miners daughter, if Loretta had decided to sell moonshine instead of sing! The descriptions of the utter despair and poorness of the coal mining families was very sad.

The book focuses on a poor, illiterate, backwoods family that is dependent upon the coal mine to make a living. And, it is not much of a living. Out of all the kids (and why do they always have SO many kids?!), just one of them has
Yuvonne
Dec 27, 2012 Yuvonne rated it liked it
I enjoyed this tale of a woman who, albeit not an honest living does what she must to survive the hardships of her pitiful life! A good read but not if you are depressed!
Lisa
Jun 03, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it
Also really enjoyed this period novel set in an old coal mining town. Once again, the female protagonist may have been a bit too perfect. Still good.
Debbi
Jul 22, 2012 Debbi rated it it was ok
Story about a dirt-poor Appalachia family in the twenties and thirties. The first half or more is really depressing and then it picks up a bit.
Sharon Guerriero
Aug 08, 2012 Sharon Guerriero rated it really liked it
If your ancestral roots are in the Appalachian mountains, you'll love this book.
M. J.
Nov 07, 2016 M. J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-fiction
Kathryn
I got this one free when I did my trial of Amazon Prime and was not sure what to expect as to the quality of the story. But I must say, I just loved it and have found a new author, I want to read more of. It takes place in the hills of Kentucky in a coal mining town and as I read this, I felt, I was immersed in the story with the use of the authentic language of the mountain folk. The story itself is a good one and has suspense, romance and many other elements. I would rate this a very strong 4 ...more
Tosha
Oct 21, 2012 Tosha rated it it was ok
The story was good and the writter was good to keep you updated about concurrent character time line, but the editor missed many duplicate words and spell checks. I realize the character's spoke a Kentucky back wood slang, but there were many over looked words that made the reading choppy.

I will add that it is people just like the parents in this book that got President Obama reelected.
Karen Malmberg
Apr 13, 2013 Karen Malmberg rated it really liked it
One of my favorite reasons to read is to glimpse insights into cultures and socioeconomic lifestyles different than my own. This book provides an interesting glimps into coal mining life in Appalachia.
Jamie Villeneuve
Sep 30, 2014 Jamie Villeneuve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story.

This book was well written and it kept you interested. Lots of unexpected turns and a good example of how difficult life can be and what people are willing to do to overcome the challenges.
Dianna
Mar 02, 2015 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, love
This book was a very good look into the lives of people living in poverty in Kentucky. They have day to day struggles of just trying to survive.

In this book, the lead character was so desperate that she actually did something illegal. This is her story and how she survived.
Belinda Sharp
Dec 31, 2013 Belinda Sharp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good story

I really enjoyed this book. it kept my attention wondering if life was going to get better for the family. anyone who likes family stories or really rural living would probably like this book also.
Melissa
Feb 23, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
3.5 stars. This book provided an interesting glimpse into the life of a poor coal mining town in 1930's Kentucky. Though the plot was able to keep my attention I'm not sure if this book will be too memorable for me in the future.
Gail Guetersloh
Mar 04, 2015 Gail Guetersloh rated it really liked it
Enjoyed an insight into life in the hollows of Kentucky more than the bit of running moonshine. Though the moonshine story line in the second 1/2 of the book was better than the depressing first 1/2 of the book.
marcy
Apr 24, 2014 marcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good

Nice story, unexpected events to keep your interest. A good book to relax with. Would recommend for a quick, enjoyable read.
Rebecca McCarver
Good Read

Nice easy read. I wasn't very impressed with the "hillbilly" spelling. Good ending and I would recommend reading this also.
Talkalicious
Jan 30, 2014 Talkalicious rated it really liked it
I throughly enjoyed this book. Quick read, but felt like the ending happened too fast. I guess I enjoyed it so much I wanted more.
Kim
Apr 16, 2012 Kim rated it it was amazing
This really is great book. I just loved the characters. Funny, sad, heartbreaking...this book has it all. I just couldn't put it down. Read it on my Kindle Fire in one day.
Kathryn Allen
Jan 30, 2013 Kathryn Allen rated it really liked it
Absolutely enjoyed the family characters and their motivation to keep going despite how difficult life was
Darlene
Mar 13, 2013 Darlene rated it liked it
Shelves: historic, family, kentucky
This book is a fairly accurate portait of life in deep Appalachians. A hardscrabble life of doing what you have to do to survive.
Sep 13, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Excellent historical value, but a good cheesy story line with an upbeat happy ending. My kind of book to a T.
Sandy
Sandy rated it really liked it
Aug 11, 2013
Daniel
Daniel rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2012
Mitzi
Mitzi rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2014
Kristie Noyes
Kristie Noyes rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2015
Monika King
Monika King rated it really liked it
May 10, 2012
edna mae oliver
edna mae oliver rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Linda Heller
Linda Heller rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2014
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2012
Camille Leisten
Camille Leisten rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2015
  • Ribbon in the Sky (Dolan Brothers, #1)
  • Fraidy Hole
  • Turn Back Time
  • Slick
  • Not Like My Mother:Becoming a sane parent after growing up in a CRAZY family
  • Penumbra
  • Love Required (Real Love, #3)
  • Heaven's Rage