Start by marking “Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle” as Want to Read:
Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle

Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle

4.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  658 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
The battle at Guadalcanal--which began eight months to the day after Pearl Harbor--marked the first American offensive of World War II. It was a brutal six-month campaign that cost the lives of some 7,000 Americans and over 30,000 Japanese.This volume, ten years in the writing, recounts the full story of the critical campaign for Guadalcanal and is based on first-time tran ...more
Published January 1st 1992 by Penguin Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Guadalcanal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Guadalcanal

Jon
Dec 30, 2009 Jon rated it it was amazing
Frank wrote the Definitive account of the battle.
What many contemporary readers don't realize is that
the campaign included some of the largest ship to ship battles in history. Unbelievable heroism. I gave this to my uncle who was a participant and he recalled watching the ship battles at night off the coast in iron bottom sound. This book is one of the best executed history books ever written.
Marcus
Aug 29, 2011 Marcus rated it really liked it
Sorry for using this tired phrase, but in this case it is completely justified - if you are to read a single book about Guadalcanal campaign, then this is the book you want to read. It is very detailed, comprehensive and yet readable account of a World War II campaign that was as decisive as it was unique. There are many reasons why I think this is superior choice on this topic - Frank covers all aspects of the campaign - land, sea and air. Just that fact alone makes it a rarity. Also, the book ...more
Hank Hoeft
Mar 16, 2016 Hank Hoeft rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When my wife saw that I was reading an 800-page book on the battle of Guadalcanal, she asked me if it was really all about just one battle, or if it digressed and covered a wider scope. I told her that yes, it did indeed focus on "just one battle," but that "battle" was actually a six-month campaign. Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account of the Landmark Battle really does live up to its subtitle. The detail Richard Frank goes into is deep and extensive, and exhaustively researched. I've read a lot ...more
e.West Smith
Feb 15, 2011 e.West Smith rated it really liked it
An amazing piece of scholarship on what was America's first counter-thrust against the Empire of Japan. Exhaustively researched, Mr. Frank's account of the conflict in late 1942 highlighted the hubris of the IJN and IJA as they first dismissed, then underestimated and finally reacted too late. Great read for aficionados of the Pacific War.
Roger Burk
May 08, 2016 Roger Burk rated it it was amazing
Like the dust jacket says, this is the definitive history of the Guadalcanal campaign, from the bold and even foolhardy American seizure of an airfield at the tip of Japanese expansion in the southwest Pacific to the brilliantly planned and executed Japanese withdrawal of their last skeletal survivors six months later. The campaign is an epic of hardship, determination, and perseverence in American military history, but how much greater were the hardship, suffering, and perseverence of the Japan ...more
Jean-Vincent
Tom Clancy said of Frank's book that it will surely become the standard history of the U.S. Navy's most important campaign. After having read it, I tend to agree with him, although I'd be tempted to add that is was perhaps one of America's armed forces most important campaign ever, arguably the true turning point of the Pacific war.

I definitely recommend this book to anyone wishing to acquire an articulate, well researched view of the campaign. Frank digs deep into American and Japanese sources
Joseph
Jan 20, 2013 Joseph rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are into numbers and detail
This book contains tons of detail. If you are into detail this is the book for you. But, for me, the book almost devolves into minutiae. I checked this book out of the library for three weeks, then renewed it for another three weeks. The reason I checked it out is that I am researching Guadalcanal to try and gain a better understanding of what it was like for my father who fought on Guadalcanal as an enlisted man with the 25th ID. The book gave me some detail and if you want to know how the batt ...more
Patrick
Feb 24, 2008 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of scholarly military history
This is perhaps the best campaign history I have ever read. It is the equal of the best Civil War campaign histories by Catton and Stephen Sears, which for me are the best researched and literary books available on specific American military campaigns. Frank does a superb job of establishing the background that resulted in thousands of men fighting over this obscure little island in the South Pacific. He then does an equally fine job of detailing the various maneuvers of the Japanese and America ...more
Urey Patrick
This is a "must" read for anyone interested in the War in the Pacific - the opening chapter dealing with the strategies and influences affecting Japan and the US leading up to the war, and the closing chapter reflecting on the Guadalcanal campaign alone make it worthwhile. Guadalcanal was one of the most significant events of WW II - in the space of eight months following Pearl Harbor, the US bombed Tokyo - fought Coral Sea and reversed Japanese expansion - fought Midway and changed the course o ...more
Eric Smith
May 13, 2016 Eric Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, non-fiction
It took me a little less than four years to finish this book. Why? Because it is so detailed, a step-by-step trip through a nightmare campaign during world war 2. The author tracks every ship and every regiment - almost every company - as they slog it out in a bloodbath of horror called the Guadalcanal Campaign. The book vibrates with definitive reporting, tables, maps, and reporting of facts. It also makes clear the brutal and genocidal nature of the fighting in the Pacific. I had a hard time g ...more
Bap
Mar 22, 2008 Bap rated it really liked it
In the summer of 1942, the US had been defeated at almost every turn by the Japanese. With the Germany first strategy, it was no sure thing that america's limited resources could defeat the Japanese who had run rampant. The Japanese had no yet been defeated on land. This book is an excellent account of the battle on land and sea that raged from August 1942 through early 1943. The Japanese fought capably and fanatically and it was a near thing but the americans also fought well and eventually wer ...more
Paul
Jul 19, 2014 Paul rated it it was amazing
Shelves: world-war-ii
I read this, breaking into my books to read because I am staying away from reading When the Magisterium Intervenes, and because I started to read FRank'sDownfall (which led me to other books on the end of WWII in the Pacific, more about which later) which led me to read this book on Guadalcanal because Franks is really a very good researcher.

I am old enough to barely remember this battle, the long, brutal turning point of the Pacific War.

I now read about the events, not as heroism, although hero
Sarah Crawford
Feb 12, 2016 Sarah Crawford rated it really liked it
As the book says, this is pretty much a "definitive" type of account, meaning it is full of details, maps and photos. The book, for example, has 105 pages alone of notes on the material in the main text. Basically, anything you wanted to know about the battle is probably in this book. It's not a type of book for a casual read, of course, and it would mainly interested those interested in the in-depth history of the Pacific war.
Reggie
Apr 11, 2016 Reggie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
Very detailed chronological account of the land, sea, and air campaign with both Allied and Japanese viewpoints. Maps included but there could have been more (I love maps). Author points out where there are still questions about what exactly happened in certain events and will state what is purely speculation. The writing style is easy to read, not written like a "stuffed shirt historian".
Joe Owen
Mar 09, 2014 Joe Owen rated it it was amazing
IN-Depth history of the Battle of Guadalcanal from the US and Japanese strategy and warfare. The land, sea, and air battles are analyzed and reviewed. This is not for the beginner who doesn't know anything about the battle. It is for those who are familiar about the history and want to learn about the battle in-depth.
Jon
Jun 27, 2015 Jon rated it it was amazing
A highly technical analysis of the first major campaign in the US Pacific war in World War Two. The analysis of US-Japan relations on the military level is informative, and it was inspiring to read about great WW2 commanders such as MacArthur and Halsey. Recommended to World War Two military aficionados.
Chas
May 18, 2009 Chas rated it it was amazing
Frank's book is easily the single best volume on the Guadalcanal campaign, weaving together the holy trinity of air, naval and land to provide a complete and extremely well-written and detailed account. Essential for anyone interested in World War II in the Pacific.
Matthew Phelps
Jan 04, 2013 Matthew Phelps rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-pme
The definitive account by far. Not a light undertaking, but it's definitely for you if you want in-depth analysis and play-by-play accounts drawn from original documents on both the American and Japanese sides.
Bruce
Jan 16, 2011 Bruce rated it really liked it
Excellent and comprehensive history of the grueling conflict in this remote tropical jungle island. I doubt any survivor of the campaign came out of it whole.
Christopher Dell
Dec 27, 2012 Christopher Dell rated it it was amazing
I want to give it a two because it was a chore to read, however, due to the exhaustive research and the detail it is a 5. "Definitive" is an understatement.
Gary Phillips
May 10, 2012 Gary Phillips rated it it was amazing
The epitome of a campaign study. Meticulously researched, thoughtful, detailed yet accessible to a general audience.
Rob
Jun 04, 2015 Rob rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite campaign histories along with Utmost Savagery. I wish Frank was a more prolific author.
Bill V
Jul 05, 2016 Bill V rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book I've read on the Guadalcanal campaign. Every military aspect (air, naval and ground) is touched upon and gets its appropriate coverage.
There are maps but they don't cover every point mentioned in the text. A map index would have been nice. There are a few misspelling of names. These are superficial blemishes on a book that belongs on every history buff's collection.
Richard Frank writes in a very engaging style. One minor criticism is that while there are a few maps, there
Ron Spiegelhalter
May 01, 2015 Ron Spiegelhalter rated it liked it
The battle plods and the author simply reports. Could have been better had he found a device that maintains the reader's interest in the dragged out battle of assimilation early in the Pacific theater that is Guadalcanal.
Fredrick Danysh
Jul 12, 2011 Fredrick Danysh rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Guadalcanal was one of the early battles of World War II to retake the Pacific region from the Japanese. The fierce struggle was a test for Aallied military might and tactics.
Patricrk patrick
Jun 19, 2012 Patricrk patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
Covers the land, sea and air campaign from both sides as the source material allows. Very much worth the read.
Tim Robinson
Jul 29, 2016 Tim Robinson rated it really liked it
Shelves: history
This is a fine book, but faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar too long. I just want to know what happened!
Mike
Partially read it years ago. Plan to go back and read again.
Billy Collins
Jan 08, 2011 Billy Collins rated it liked it
very good coverage of this US victory in the pacific
Kevin
Mar 12, 2009 Kevin added it
Tons of information. Good read.
  • Utmost Savagery: The Three Days of Tarawa
  • Islands of Destiny: The Solomons Campaign and the Eclipse of the Rising Sun
  • Battle of Leyte Gulf: 23-26 October 1944
  • Midway: the Battle That Doomed Japan
  • The Two-Ocean War
  • Fortress Rabaul: The Battle for the Southwest Pacific, January 1942-April 1943 (Rabaul Trilogy, #2)
  • Hitler's U-Boat War: The Hunters, 1939-1942
  • Brotherhood of Heroes: The Marines at Peleliu, 1944--The Bloodiest Battle of the Pacific War
  • One Square Mile of Hell: The Battle for Tarawa