Economic & Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844/The Communist Manifesto

Economic & Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844/The Communist Manifesto

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,454 ratings  ·  56 reviews
(Great Books in Philosophy) Communism as a political movement attained global importance after the Bolsheviks toppled the Russian Czar in 1917. After that time the works of Karl Marx and Frederick Engels, especially the influential Communist Manifesto (1848), enjoyed an international audience. The world was to learn a new political vocabulary peppered with "socialism", "ca...more
Published March 1st 1988 by Prometheus Books (first published 1844)

Be the first to ask a question about Economic & Philosophic Manuscripts of 1844/The Communist Manifesto

The Communist Manifesto by Karl MarxDas Kapital by Karl MarxThe State and Revolution by Vladimir LeninThe Jungle by Upton SinclairReform or Revolution by Rosa Luxemburg
Socialist Classics
22nd out of 275 books — 130 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëWuthering Heights by Emily BrontëThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Best Books of the 19th Century
336th out of 613 books — 3,192 voters

More lists with this book...

Ian Paganus
ORIGINAL REVIEW:

Early Work

The EPM is an early work by Marx.

It is where he develops his version of alienation and the relationship of the self to others, but also the relationship to work and the means of production.

They became theorists and publicists for a revolutionary cause.

They created a theoretical justification for violence as a methodology for achieving a politica...more
Ian Paganus
Early Work

The EPM is an early work by Marx.
By the time of The Communist Manifesto, Marx and Engels had got involved in History and were not content just to describe it. They became theorists and publicists for a revolutionary cause. They created a theoretical justification for violence as a methodology for achieving a political goal.

Justifyin...more
Heather Schwartz
I single this out (but I like most of Marx's writings)because it still gives me shivers. It isn't dry and tedious or in the realm of pure philosophy. It is what it is...an emotional (maybe dumbed down), political tract that has no fear. I don't care where in the political spectrum/circle you are...it's a good read.
Justin
Nov 17, 2008 Justin rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Do not purchase this book from a store. Either steal it or pirate it. Enlightening and inspiring. Everybody needs to read this book at one point or another, and be able argue for and against its claims. Marx sums up the basics of his philosophy and critiques past leftist movements such as religious socialists and anarchists and explains why they have and will continue to fail. He gives us his 'scientific socialism' which explores the economic side of communism and why it is destined to eventuall...more
Jeremy
Aug 05, 2010 Jeremy added it
Shelves: politics, philosophy
This is kind of a mixed bag. It's seems more like a peek into Marx's private notebook than a fully formed treatiste per se, he's just starting here to pin down things like capital, labor, money, and the individual, and to give some basic analysis with regards to how they interact. But by the end, I was surprised at just how humanistic it turned out to be. This isn't the often cold, polemical materialism that he would develop later on, but something which is deep down concerned with the problems...more
Allen Dark
Martin Milligan's translation is good, but if I had time I would like to read other translations of Marx. As you will see when you read this book, Karl Marx was excellent at analysis of economic systems and problems (and he's very worth reading for his situation analysis, and his analysis applies today) but he was not very good at imagining solutions. He seems to have been another binary thinker (black or white, good or evil, right or wrong, etc) and not good at imagining practical, balanced sol...more
Eja Batbold
This is my first book by Karl Marx. My mind is completely in a shock, and trying to recover from such a deep and yet simple philosophies. Most of the times, I was nodding my head along reading this book, and often times I would stop reading and be staring at the window trying to figure out the logics behind his statements. Without a doubt, he was such an incredible man with a genius mind, who devoted his life for the betterment of society. Behind every page, I could almost see a man with a huge...more
Alex MacMillan
Marxist Humanism: A Tale of Two Drug Dealers
Karl Marx criticizes capitalism as an institutionalization of separation and violence between mankind. Like most political theorists, Marx seeks to determine what causes roadblocks to justice. He presumes that men are malleable and perfectible, and that the relative degree of human emancipation depends on the means of our society’s ‘chains’ to mold behavior. He defines our chains as impersonal forces of production that alienate us from the fruits of ou...more
Alex
Down and out in Paris. The first manuscript has three columns, one headed Wages, another Capital, and the third Land Rent. Marx, who was ambidextrous, and also had a third hand (what Adam Smith had called "the invisible hand"), wrote all three at the same time. Marx gets to use Smith and Say and Ricardo as puppets to say things about economics. Also Friedrich Wilhelm Schulz. Lol, who?

There's that wonderful section about money having the power to turn things into their opposites, where Marx shows...more
Chris Herdt
I skipped straight to the end and read the Communist Manifesto without reading the preceding essays.

The critique of bourgeois production and its consequences (periodic crises, e.g. the business cycle, and globalization and consolidation) I found timely for today's economic crisis, but it was heavy on effect and light on cause, so I may be forced to read the rest of the book to find out what Marx was really on about.

I was surprised to find elements of the 10 key points of communism in our own cap...more
Leah
I probably should have picked something else to read as my introduction to Marx, as the fragmentary nature of the work and its heavy reliance on Feuerbach and Hegel (neither or whom I've read) made significant sections of the EPM very difficult to parse. Still, Marx's account of both the functioning of capital and the reality of alienation were very evocative, and I look forward both to reading more Marx with this text as a background and to possibly revisiting it once I have a better appreciati...more
Perotine Massey
Sep 27, 2007 Perotine Massey rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the easily angered
Shelves: programbooks
It's an important read. Marx is nothing if not an amazing writer. But---but---what? Are you kidding me? It's not that I disagree with his arguments; they're all well-reasoned. It's just that I don't agree with any of the central premises of his arguments. He might as well be asking me how I'd live if dragons walked the earth. The essays themselves are an interesting read, but the manifesto is a maddening piece of rhetoric.

I can't automatically dismiss this book and say FUCK IT. It needs to be r...more
uh8myzen
The Communist Manifesto is not really a grand work, but functions more like promotional material for the revolutionary proletariat, but it is also a fundamental part of twentieth century thought. It is also prophetic in some ways as you can see many of the things Marx predicted coming to pass today. It is to bad that so many nations have hijacked real communism to serve their own misguided agendas, because there are many very important issues raised by Marx and Engles and should serve as a warni...more
Levie Galapon
A surprisingly easy to read yet compelling book by Karl Marx. This was one of the first works of Karl Marx that I have read and I would suggest any aspiring Marxist to read this. Marx makes his concepts on labor, wages, etc. concise and philosophical. Over all actually a very fun read but I just can not see myself agreeing with Marx and his radical views on economics. Essentially this is a must read for anyone who is into socialism and or wants to learn more about the ideas surrounding socialism...more
Andrew
So this is the much-vaunted humanist Marx... he's definitely a different Marx than the strict economic thinker of Capital. Rather, this is a guy who thinks that capitalism destroys the soul of the worker, alienating him from his labors and alienating humanity from history.

And given that a lot of Marx's specific economic theories are now pretty suspect while his social theories remain strong, this seems to be the Marx we should be paying attention to. Check it out!
Orcun

Marx'ın ölümünden 44 yıl sonra keşfedilip kitaplaştırılan bu el yazmaları, yıllar içinde, katı ekonomizmden çıkış arayan hümanist Marksistler için temel metinlerden biri haline geldi. Zaman zaman edebileşen dili, politik iktisatçıları eleştirirken etiğe, insani duygulara yaptığı vurguyla, "Genç Marx" deyip küçümsenemeyecek kadar önemli bir yerde duruyor. (Metnin orijinalini okumadım, ama sanki bu çevirinin kimi yerleri sorunluymuş gibi geldi bana.)
Kristen
As with all things, it is important to read the original work and not listen to the heresay. The communism that is implemented in reality, current society, isn't the philosophical design intended by Marx. The work eloquently establishes that man's downfall is putting worth in things. We becomes machines and lose our humanity.
Phil
Somewhat densely economical, these manuscripts aren't complete because pages were lost or what have you. For me the most interesting part of this collection was Engels' essay, which is much more readable than Marx's manuscripts. And of course everyone who has studied Marx at least minimally has likely already read the Communist Manifesto, which is also included here.
dsneaks
The communist manifesto i found to be much easier to read then the economic and philosophic manuscripts of 1844. I had to read this for a classical social theory class i was taking. But the economic and philosophic manuscript which is a early development of Karl Marx's ideas was hard to understand at times and focuses on the alienation of labor of the workers.
Alma
One can argue that Marx has a Utopian ideology, as Tomas More had, because this manifesto reflects many of More's ideas. They both devised calculated procedures on how to create a functioning society of equality. Their hope in humanity's willingness and cooperation for a greater society requires faith beyond that what many people have nowadays.
Paul Hampson
A very difficult book, mainly on account of the stage of Marx's development in which it was written.
There is, predictably, a lot of Hegel's influence in this relatively early work. That in mind, I would consider it crucial for understanding Marx's development,his view of alienation, and the philosophical ideas of Humanist Marxism.
Victoria
For my grad seminar. I hated this book. HATED it! Marx had interesting (although not feasible) ideas but he is a lousy writer. It was hard to focus on what he was saying because the way he said it was so confusing and laborious to read.

Blech. This doesn't even rate a star.
Holly
"If you ask about the creation of nature and of man, then you are abstracting from nature and from man. You assume them as non-existent and want me to prove to you that they exist. My answer is: Give up your abstraction and you will then give up your question."
Snezan
indispensable reading for someone interested in the cross beams of communism. Illuminating, unshakeable prose. This little book cemented my interest in Marxist theory. Read the Manifesto first, then read the Economic manuscripts.
Halli Well
Uma ótima análise histórica e social das lutas de classes e de uma possível solução para os problemas que a sociedade burguesa impõe aos proletários. Mesmo escrito em 1844, esta obra ilustra fatos modernos.
Simon Bailey
In which KM invents political philosophy as we know it today and breathes alienation into existence. The first thing I read as an undergrad, completely gripping and almost impossible to disagree with.
Kyle
The best thing about this book is that having read it, I think I've dealt enough with Marx for a good long time. Still, the coupling of the Manuscripts with the Manifesto offers a handy summation of Marx.
Diyan
actually, I only read a little part of it. but this book influence people all across the globe. this book is the best collection i ever had...maybe i'll read it later...
Anthony D Buckley
Still astonishingly fresh, these essays encapsulate some of the most fundamental ideas of modern thought. Religion, "the soul of soulless circumstance". Wow!
Marts  (Thinker)
Jul 28, 2011 Marts (Thinker) marked it as sounds-interesting  ·  review of another edition
Marx's denunciation of the capitalist system and analysis of the human condition... presents and understanding of Marxist theory...

Essay Prompt 1 4 Oct 24, 2011 06:54PM
  • Karl Marx: His Life and Environment
  • Labor and Monopoly Capital: The Degradation of Work in the Twentieth Century
  • Marx's Concept of Man
  • The Antonio Gramsci Reader: Selected Writings 1916-1935
In 1818, Karl Marx, descended from a long line of rabbis, was born in Prussian Rhineland. Marx's' father converted to Protestantism shortly before Karl's birth. Educated at the Universities of Bonn, Jena, and Berlin, Marx founded the Socialist newspaper Vorwarts in 1844 in Paris. After being expelled from France at the urging of the Prussian government, which "banished" Marx in absentia, Marx stud...more
More about Karl Marx...
The Communist Manifesto Capital, Volume 1: A Critical Analysis of Capitalist Production (Das Kapital, #1) The Marx-Engels Reader Das Kapital The German Ideology

“If money is the bond binding me to human life, binding society to me, connecting me with nature and man, is not money the bond of all bonds? Can it not dissolve and bind all ties? Is it not, therefore, also the universal agent of separation?” 52 likes
“Communism is the riddle of history solved, and it knows itself to be this solution.” 25 likes